Why I Defend 343 Industries

Hello everyone. The following post is simply my opinion on a topic that has become much more controversial than it honestly needed to be. I am well aware that many people reading this will disagree, and I am completely fine with that. Just please, if you are going to comment on this post, don’t go ranting about how mad you are that you couldn’t play Halo online when you should’ve been able to or that the patches aren’t affecting you because honestly, I couldn’t care less. If you want to tell me your opinion, please explain to me (calmly) why you disagree without raging at me for continuing to side with 343i (which is something many people on these forums need to work on). Also, I should note that when playing Halo, I much prefer the campaign mode, so I have been affected very little by the matchmaking issues (the biggest bugs I’ve dealt with are the achievement issues) so I may be a little biased in that sense, but it should have nothing to do with my argument. Alright, if you’re ready, I’m about to tell you why 343 Industries has done nothing wrong.

I’m going to start with 343 Industries’ history as a company. If we don’t include twinstick shooters and graphical overhauls, 343 Industries has shipped one game: Halo 4. The reason I put aside 343’s other games are because Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary’s multiplayer feature was just Reach DLC, and I don’t believe I need to go into detail on Spartan Assault to get you to understand what I’m saying. Halo 4 was the first time 343i had to take multiplayer matters into their own hands, but I’ve heard mixed things about Halo 4’s multiplayer.
So with one game under their belts, 343i attempted something no other developer has tried before. What’s that? Pack the entirety of four enormous games onto one disc. These are five very different multiplayer engines (Halo 2 has Classic and Anniversary) that had to be fit into one disc. Actually, I don’t believe they were able to be put on the disc. I’m pretty sure most of the multiplayer went into the 50GB Day One update, and the disc was only able to hold the campaign data.
A company with one major game in their history attempts something going where no other developer dared tread. How could they possibly get it right in one try? Didn’t think so. 343i has done nothing wrong. Sure, it’s been almost two months, and although there are still quite a few issues, matchmaking is much better than it was at launch. Some people still aren’t seeing changes, but those people are a very loud minority.
I think it is smarter for people to think positively of 343 for their brave step, and should understand the evidence before entering absolute rage mode just because they can’t play a video game. 343i tried something huge, and the odds were against them. The matchmaking sucked, but unless 343 had decades more of experience before trying the Master Chief Collection, there was almost no way the matchmaking could have been perfect before it launched.
Sure, the game didn’t play as expected, but I don’t understand why people are being so selfish in expecting such an inexperienced company to get it perfect on try one. Hold grudges all you want, but I can promise that after this issue, 343 will never make the same mistake again. 343 is innocent. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.

I 100% agree with this! And before Halo 4 all 343i had ever made from scratch was waypoint.

So, you would be willing to shell out more money to a company when they rushed their product even when a lot of the problems are not linked to netcode issues, but overall faults in its mechanics?
Then how they decided that porting the already buggy PC ports of Halo: CE and 2 without actually bothering to fix the preexisting and known bugs? And you still find that okay? They also use the prepatched versions of each game and also strip the games down as a whole (theatre, scoring mechanics, and customization).

Then there’s the faulty achievements, the long matchmaking times, and a myriad of other bugs, and you are saying it is because they don’t have decades of experience? They aren’t people fresh out of school; these are people who have been in the industry for a while.

Now onto Halo 4…
Halo 4’s mechanics were a complete failure, and Frankie was the Content Manager for Bungie back in the day, and was with them for a while, so he should have known what would’ve worked, but went to mimic other popular shooters for Halo 4. They did this in order to try to gain mass appeal at the cost of the original Halo fans. This obviously failed miserably, but some of their ideas for Halo 5 are pretty terrible, so they didn’t really seem to have learned their lesson.

Now let’s move onto the community interaction…
Where is it?
This isn’t hard to do, but they are failing at that, as well. By giving the community no news, that gives a bad sign for what is going on, as no news is worse than bad news. They should return to the text based bulletins (the videos are just terrible), and start posting in suggestion topics and bug reports instead of doing…nothing.

Then there’s you, you choose to defend a company that you have no stake in, they do not have your interest, and then you blame the community on 343’s mistakes? Give me a break. You must be naive, then again, you wouldn’t have made this topic otherwise.

Telling us features will be in the game and then shipping the game without the features they promised is doing something wrong. “Halo 2 exactly how it was 10 years ago”.

> 2533274904231346;4:
> Telling us features will be in the game and then shipping the game without the features they promised is doing something wrong. “Halo 2 exactly how it was 10 years ago”.

See I have a problem with that. If it was “exactly how it was 10 years ago” then no dlc maps. And if I remember right wasnt Live not available right away at launch?

Like Sean said, it’s one thing if they just grabbed all the previous games as they were and shoved them all in one disk (didn’t multiplayer come as a ~20GB patch?), but they ported the already buggy PC ports of Halo: CE and 2 without actually bothering to fix the preexisting and known bugs. Then they use the prepatched versions of each game and also strip the games down as a whole (theatre, scoring mechanics, and customization). Even the stripped down versions don’t work properly, like Time & Score not showing up, lack of file share or even a place to store local matches without having to resort to the Game DVR.

> 2533274835781046;1:
> Sure, the game didn’t play as expected, but I don’t understand why people are being so selfish in expecting such an inexperienced company to get it perfect on try one. Hold grudges all you want, but I can promise that after this issue, 343 will never make the same mistake again. 343 is innocent. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.

I’m not expecting it to be perfect, I’m expecting it to be functional. I didn’t pay $60+ for a chance to have a functional game.

Of the campaign I’ve played, I have experience no bugs, other than extremely minor enemy movement bugs in H2A campaign.

I’ve played around 20 online matches, and around 3-4 of them I had trouble with. I don’t have much reason to complain about multiplayer, and I feel for those that do. I should’ve reworded my initial post. I don’t think 343 is innocent, but instead I’m giving my reasons for still appreciating 343 instead of completely shunning them like many people have.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts. Please do not call out individuals.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

343 is just bad at making games. Period. It is their fault, they made the game. Don’t be soft, call it like it is, 343 is not ready to make big time games. <mark>Random well-known employees that I’ve decided to blame everything on</mark> should both be fired and they should start over.

Putting all of the games “on one disk” isn’t any more complicated than porting all 4 games and releasing them on “separate disks”. It’s not an excuse. 343 failed and continue to fail with each content update. It’s been basically 3 months. They won’t ever fix this game. They just aren’t competent enough to know how.

> 2533274808590549;5:
> > 2533274904231346;4:
> > Telling us features will be in the game and then shipping the game without the features they promised is doing something wrong. “Halo 2 exactly how it was 10 years ago”.
>
>
> See I have a problem with that. If it was “exactly how it was 10 years ago” then no dlc maps. And if I remember right wasnt Live not available right away at launch?

Even with no dlc maps I would of been happy. Having the original working halo 2 game with no dlc maps is far better then having the halo 2 vista version with all the dlc maps and terrible hit registration. And I highly doubt that, I remember picking up halo 2 near launch day and playing it the same day online. And even if it wasn’t working it didn’t take 2 months to fix.

im just happy you used “i couldnt care less” correctly instead of could, thats a pet peave of mine, carry on

> 2533274818083354;3:
> Halo 4’s mechanics were a complete failure, and Frankie who is one of the leads was in charge of the multiplayer for Halo back in the day, so he should have known what would’ve worked, but went to mimic other popular shooters.

When has Frankie ever been in charge of Halo’s multiplayer? That’s never been part of his job, either at Bungie or at 343.

> 2533274835781046;1:
> …343i has done nothing wrong…

lol, okay…

Edit: Also you do realize that 343 didn’t really do the remasters and HD upgrades on the games right, Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games, Saber Interactive and Blur Studio were responsible for all that jazz. 343 were mostly responsible (I believe) for making sure it all worked together (the UI) and the networking/matchmaking parts of it, which are were the most issue are, so yeah hardly innocent…

Edit 2: Apparently it was actually United Front Games that did the UI stuff.

343I is not “innocent”.

I can understand if you aren’t entirely pissed at 343I or just don’t care, really I can. I get that, that’s fine. What I absolutely can’t understand is anyone actively going out of their way to defend their actions…

“It’s their first game guys”. They’re a studio of experienced game developers funded by one of the largest companies of the electronic market, not your son’s little league team.

They delivered a heavily broken product, and it’s their responsibility to fix it.

“But it was such an ambitious project and…”

No one asked for this to begin with. All they asked for was Halo 2 Anniversary. And they definitely didn’t ask for Halo 4 and Spartan Ops either. The project didn’t even need to be this ambitious. And now they’re giving us even more as if it wasn’t already ambitious and broken enough.

I understand your point of view and why you feel that way. But for many of us, this was a complete disappointment and an outrage. We have paid $65 dollars for a game, that was supposed to be functional. 343i let out this game that is incomplete and nowhere near the word “functional”. If the task of making this was too difficult, they should have not done it to begin with. But they knew that if they tried this, they would get a whole lot of money. Money is their main motive here, not to satisfy their fans. If the satisfaction of their fans was a priority, this game would have been delayed until it was fully functional. You defend a development team, that doesn’t see you as a halo fan, but more as another number in their bank account. You are nothing to them, by continuing to support and defend them you are only showing how much of a sheep you are.

[deleted]

> 2533274835781046;1:
> Hello everyone. The following post is simply my opinion on a topic that has become much more controversial than it honestly needed to be. I am well aware that many people reading this will disagree, and I am completely fine with that. Just please, if you are going to comment on this post, don’t go ranting about how mad you are that you couldn’t play Halo online when you should’ve been able to or that the patches aren’t affecting you because honestly, I couldn’t care less. If you want to tell me your opinion, please explain to me (calmly) why you disagree without raging at me for continuing to side with 343i (which is something many people on these forums need to work on). Also, I should note that when playing Halo, I much prefer the campaign mode, so I have been affected very little by the matchmaking issues (the biggest bugs I’ve dealt with are the achievement issues) so I may be a little biased in that sense, but it should have nothing to do with my argument. Alright, if you’re ready, I’m about to tell you why 343 Industries has done nothing wrong.
>
> I’m going to start with 343 Industries’ history as a company. If we don’t include twinstick shooters and graphical overhauls, 343 Industries has shipped one game: Halo 4. The reason I put aside 343’s other games are because Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary’s multiplayer feature was just Reach DLC, and I don’t believe I need to go into detail on Spartan Assault to get you to understand what I’m saying. Halo 4 was the first time 343i had to take multiplayer matters into their own hands, but I’ve heard mixed things about Halo 4’s multiplayer.
> So with one game under their belts, 343i attempted something no other developer has tried before. What’s that? Pack the entirety of four enormous games onto one disc. These are five very different multiplayer engines (Halo 2 has Classic and Anniversary) that had to be fit into one disc. Actually, I don’t believe they were able to be put on the disc. I’m pretty sure most of the multiplayer went into the 50GB Day One update, and the disc was only able to hold the campaign data.
> A company with one major game in their history attempts something going where no other developer dared tread. How could they possibly get it right in one try? Didn’t think so. 343i has done nothing wrong. Sure, it’s been almost two months, and although there are still quite a few issues, matchmaking is much better than it was at launch. Some people still aren’t seeing changes, but those people are a very loud minority.
> I think it is smarter for people to think positively of 343 for their brave step, and should understand the evidence before entering absolute rage mode just because they can’t play a video game. 343i tried something huge, and the odds were against them. The matchmaking sucked, but unless 343 had decades more of experience before trying the Master Chief Collection, there was almost no way the matchmaking could have been perfect before it launched.
> Sure, the game didn’t play as expected, but I don’t understand why people are being so selfish in expecting such an inexperienced company to get it perfect on try one. Hold grudges all you want, but I can promise that after this issue, 343 will never make the same mistake again. 343 is innocent. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.

Please don’t use things you don’t understand as evidence. There is nothing difficult about multiple game engines on one disk. I could do it and I am still a software engineering student. I’m also pretty sure the day one update was 15 GB, not 50. Not really important to the point, but still provides evidence that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

If 343 didnt have the compentence to make the game, they should have hired people with the right competence, so its their fault anyway.

Sony is now outselling MS, they sold more than twice as many consoles,18,5 vs 7,5 million consoles, and this Halo failure is hurting MS big time!

In the long run I think it could be the end for MS as a video game publisher.

What…that’s it? “343 has only made 1 proper game” That’s you’re case? We’re back to this old statement again?

Yeah 343i as a company, as an entity may have only made one proper game but the people within 343 are still professional game developers who have been in the industry for years. I’m not expecting there to have been zero issues but there is no way 343 could not have known about some of these issues before releasing the game.

Sorry I’m not being rude or anything but you really didn’t make a good case on why you’re defending 343 or how these problem can be forgiven, all you have really said is “343 has only made one game so it’s kinda ok”

> 2533274833081329;6:
> Like Sean said, it’s one thing if they just grabbed all the previous games as they were and shoved them all in one disk (didn’t multiplayer come as a ~20GB patch?), but they ported the already buggy PC ports of Halo: CE and 2 without actually bothering to fix the preexisting and known bugs. Then they use the prepatched versions of each game and also strip the games down as a whole (theatre, scoring mechanics, and customization). Even the stripped down versions don’t work properly, like Time & Score not showing up, lack of file share or even a place to store local matches without having to resort to the Game DVR.
>
>
>
> > 2533274835781046;1:
> > Sure, the game didn’t play as expected, but I don’t understand why people are being so selfish in expecting such an inexperienced company to get it perfect on try one. Hold grudges all you want, but I can promise that after this issue, 343 will never make the same mistake again. 343 is innocent. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
>
>
> I’m not expecting it to be perfect, I’m expecting it to be functional. I didn’t pay $60+ for a chance to have a functional game.

This. Full stop