Why have clans been absent since H2?

One of my favorite things about H2 was clans and clan matches. I remember how bad I would want to be on a clan list to have access to hundreds of good players. It was like a second friends list that had a prestige to it. Does anyone know why they took it away?

I honestly have never heard anyone NOT want clans. So why can’t it come back for Halo 4. If you hate the idea of clans and clan matches I would like to know.

I hope they do something with social integration. Even if it is just something similar to what BF3 does. I think it would be a great addition. I know there was a little bit about it(social integration) in the Expert Zone stuff.

“Improved support to create, organize, and track groups”

It didn’t have a purpose, and actually many people speak out against clans.

Clans went down in H2 due to some stuff coming down from Microsoft.

It really didn’t have a purpose to them. People bounced in and out of clans, and it just didn’t have a purpose. It was just as you said, a second friends list. If you wanted to play with those people, just send them a friend request.

It really caused a lot of issues with the constant spam of “join my clan” messages, and random hierarchy usually headed by some kid who wanted to be in control, and call himself a “Clan Leader”, along side his friend who wanted to call himself a “Co-Leader”.

Now, there are some Clans that serve a good purpose. I’ve heard of groups that are for girl-gamers only, or for older (40+) gamers, as it provides them an atmosphere they can be comfortable in. But they just adapted, and became groups. They didn’t need a clan level, or a hierarchy system, or titles, etc. They were a group of people who just wanted to play together.

Halo 2’s clan system promoted the bad kind of clans, with ranks, roles, permissions, etc.

In my opinion, Clans should be a 3rd party outside of games, instead of gaming revolve around them. Use them as a way to come together and find friends of equivalent tastes, not be under the command of some kid online who is going to tell you what armor color and emblem you have to use.

It’s just that as soon as a “clan” reaches more than like 6 people, it stops being “this is my selective group of skilled players that I enjoy teaming with” and instead becomes a huge hang-out and brag zone. Most just get members to have more members, without any real requirements.

I would be all for it if it was simply in the game for social purposes (why not?), but when you get into clan matches, playlists, etc. things just get a little ridiculous. BF3 and CoD seem to be working well with their new Clan system.

i wont join a clan nor start one but a clan system is cool so i would welcome it

Because Bungie likes to take out things that we all enjoy.

In Halo 2, clan matches ended up working against itself. High level clans couldn’t find matches, so they’ll reset and beat the ever-loving crap out of lower level clans. This causes them to leave the playlist in favor for a playlist that didn’t have a resetting trueskill rank.

Rinse and repeat until there wasn’t enough people to support the clan playlists. After that, there was no real reason for a clan list.

In Halo 3, Bungie said they wouldn’t do one as that it would end act as a second friend list.

In Halo: Reach, its the same reasons.

Clans are bad enough as it is. Every game I play I get an invite because of my rank or (for the kind of good clans) my skill.

I appreciate all the great feedback. A lot of negative things I didn’t know about. It does seem redundant in a way. I still liked it though.

Yeah, the ability to make and track groups of players would be good. It’ll be easier to keep track of all the members in your group/community/clan without having to add them to your friend list (which has a limit of 100).

Haven’t you heard? Clans ARE coming back.
PROOF

> Haven’t you heard? Clans ARE coming back.
> PROOF

That doesn’t necessarily mean clans.

> I appreciate all the great feedback. A lot of negative things I didn’t know about. It does seem redundant in a way. I still liked it though.

Very mature response. There have been many threads like yours, and usually when the OP is met with criticism about clans, he/she immediately lashes back.

Some people like clans, some don’t. Some people can’t see why they aren’t implemented, some can’t see why they would be.

There’s a definitely pros and cons when it comes to clans. To me, I know that they can have their plus sides, but the ones that seem to flourish and prosper tend to be the ones designed and managed outside of any particular game, generally through a website or online community. That way, the people who truly want the clan experience can find it, but to those who want to be a part of it do not have “which clan are you in?” pushed in their face every time they play.

> Haven’t you heard? Clans ARE coming back.
> PROOF

That isn’t “proof”. That is a few words that can spur the thought. Not proof.

I think it also has something to do with Xbox live only allowing u to have 100 friends

> I think it also has something to do with Xbox live only allowing u to have 100 friends

I don’t think that is why. In fact the clan list in H2 was a way to get around the numerical limitations of your friends list. It also allowed you to streamline who you played with more. Granted these were the days when everyone on your friends list played Halo and things got crowded.

Groups are coming to Halo 4, though I’m not entirely sure as to what its function will be. Hopefully, it’s an evolved feature of clans that has deep social integration or something of the sort.

I understand why the whole EXTRA Friends list went away - But as for the rest of the clan support im not sure why it hasn’t returned I HOPE IT DOES FOR HALO 4 and from the looks of it we might have something similar

> > I appreciate all the great feedback. A lot of negative things I didn’t know about. It does seem redundant in a way. I still liked it though.
>
> Very mature response. There have been many threads like yours, and usually when the OP is met with criticism about clans, he/she immediately lashes back.
>
> Some people like clans, some don’t. Some people can’t see why they aren’t implemented, some can’t see why they would be.
>
> There’s a definitely pros and cons when it comes to clans. To me, I know that they can have their plus sides, but the ones that seem to flourish and prosper tend to be the ones designed and managed outside of any particular game, generally through a website or online community. That way, the people who truly want the clan experience can find it, but to those who want to be a part of it do not have “which clan are you in?” pushed in their face every time they play.
>
>
>
> > Haven’t you heard? Clans ARE coming back.
> > PROOF
>
> <mark>That isn’t “proof”. That is a few words that can spur the thought. Not proof.</mark>

Okay you tell me the definition of clans.

> One of my favorite things about H2 was clans and clan matches. I remember how bad I would want to be on a clan list to have access to hundreds of good players. It was like a second friends list that had a prestige to it. Does anyone know why they took it away?
>
> I honestly have never heard anyone NOT want clans. So why can’t it come back for Halo 4. If you hate the idea of clans and clan matches I would like to know.

I have been in a clan since halo 3 was released.
Just because they stopped supporting them doesn’t mean there gone.

I have only herd positive opinions regarding clans, and negative opinions regarding their absence. Why they’ve been gone for so long escapes me.

I wasn’t on live when H2 was out. Clans and clan matches aren’t gone. They just gone to customs for clan matches. I’m actually friends with a couple of clan leaders and they respect that I don’t want to join their clan. I’m just not into it. I have no problems with clans that don’t spam you about joining their clan. I actually play with these clans from time to time to just have fun and they don’t bug me to be in their clan. It’s just that some clans are annoying but not all. Just depends on the clan. There still here, you just have to find them.