Why Halo isn't winning like it used to

Why?

As someone else said, it’s lost its niche and most particularly to make a game outstanding among others it must exceed expectations and step up to the next level. That next level would be yes enhanced graphics but the gameplay is just a mash up of Call Of Duty’s acclaimed perk and killstreaks system. Although these add more fun to the game they dramatically decrease skill-gap and popularity. Why is that? Because these features are over-rated. Let me explain.

When Halo combat evolved was released it had drawn so much hype towards itself by the time Halo 2 was released because nothing else was like it. To simply put my point, Halo 4 has lost its uniqueness.

The perks in Call Of Duty make it a fun game yes because the game was originally designed with these features outstanding among the modern games of today. Perks and killstreaks made “Call Of Duty”, not Halo. Now using these features was not entirely bad as I have stated. They make it more complicated and fun in most circumstances for the casual side of things but they don’t outlay the outstanding difference between Call Of Duty and Halo and make it a game now worth buying over the other in this league. After-all these are just gimmicks; not game changing and unseen and uniquely distinguished. To make Halo 4 stand out it needed more then that and they offered more then that; Promethean’s and Requiem with new maps and one new vehicle but that was not enough. I myself have no idea what it needs to stand out among its peers but what I do know is it can’t be like anything seen before.

Discuss.

Well
the last unique game in halo war halo wars which changed the way rts work on consoles, has that been implied yet to other games, no not one but its sales, the amount of player sit gets daily, and the fact its the most played, best sold, and most revolutionary Console rts to date proves something.

for halo to live it needs to do something other games dont do
the first halo showed that a FPS could be on a console
the second enforced
but today we already know fps works for consoles
infact FPS are now the best sellers on consoles where they use to only sell good on computer
Ya halo 3 did good but thats strictly because it got out before the competition
now halo has competition

another one of these threads, awesome. I’m not 100% happy with the game either but damn, do we need a thread about this every 5 minutes?

Because Halo has failed to progress in a natural way. Activision knows exactly what they are doing with CoD and listen to their fans. DICE does a good job with Battlefield. 343 is not listening to the core Halo fanbase and that’s why it’s failing. They want to cater to casuals who will trade it in after a couple weeks when the next big games comes out and that’s why the community is shrinking every day.

Because when Halo 3 came out, there wasn’t any competition. Times have changed.

> Because when Halo 3 came out, there wasn’t any competition. Times have changed.

Yeah it’s not like there was CoD 4 (considered the best in the series by many), or Gears of War (at its peak in popularity), or Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon when they were still top played shooters.

There is actually less competition now. Most other shooters got ran into the ground trying to rip off CoD and failing.

> > Because when Halo 3 came out, there wasn’t any competition. Times have changed.
>
> Yeah it’s not like there was CoD 4 (considered the best in the series by many), or Gears of War (at its peak in popularity), or Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon when they were still top played shooters.
>
> There is actually less competition now. Most other shooters got ran into the ground trying to rip off CoD and failing.

Can we stop comparing every FPS to COD please. Its really tiring that many gamers forget that COD has ripped off many other games since they first got started. They got to the top spot by popping out games every year. Also many gamers play more than one FPS online. This thought that you have to pick one and stick with it makes no sence and it seems that many gamers think you cant be fans of COD and other FPS. I play FPS mostly cause i love the game type. But they all share elements and try to copy one another all the time

> > > Because when Halo 3 came out, there wasn’t any competition. Times have changed.
> >
> > Yeah it’s not like there was CoD 4 (considered the best in the series by many), or Gears of War (at its peak in popularity), or Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon when they were still top played shooters.
> >
> > There is actually less competition now. Most other shooters got ran into the ground trying to rip off CoD and failing.
>
> Can we stop comparing every FPS to COD please. Its really tiring that many gamers forget that COD has ripped off many other games since they first got started. They got to the top spot by popping out games every year. Also many gamers play more than one FPS online. This thought that you have to pick one and stick with it makes no sence and it seems that many gamers think you cant be fans of COD and other FPS. I play FPS mostly cause i love the game type. But they all share elements and try to copy one another all the time

I never said you have to pick one. I play all the shooters. I played BF3 for months. I played Gears 3 for months and plan on getting Judgement. I played Counter Strike Global Offensive for a while. I play CoD and I play Halo. My favorite use to be Halo because it was the most competitive of them all and was very unique. Halo 4 sadly is not a real Halo game though.

Its failing because it didn’t stick to the core of halo. COD sticks to its roots and there fans whine about everyone that comes out, but they still buy it and play it with what little change has happened in each one. Reach started the fall of halo. Simplifying the game play by slowing it down and adding sudo custom classes. 343 felt the need to try and improve upon reach when they should have tried to improve upon Halo 3 instead.

There are now multiple online MM Halos for consumption, which was not true for Halo 2 and 3.

Halo 4 is hardly a failure, Halo just does not hold the market share it once had.

> Because when Halo 3 came out, there wasn’t any competition. Times have changed.

Big difference is that Halo 3 was good/very playable. Halo 4 isn’t. A suped up traditional Halo game would blow away the competition. Most people are only playing those other games now because Halo isn’t Halo anymore.

> Halo 4 is hardly a failure, Halo just does not hold the market share it once had.

Halo 4 IS a failure, which is why NOBODY is playing it. How many millions bought Halo 4 and DON’T play it at all now?? I’m one of them. WE told them we don’t want Reach version 2.0 and 343 thumbed their noses at us and gave us Reach on STEROIDS. HELLO, WE want REAL Halo, not some dumbed down version of the game filled with gimmicks and randomness!

> > Halo 4 is hardly a failure, Halo just does not hold the market share it once had.
>
> Halo 4 IS a failure, which is why NOBODY is playing it. How many millions bought Halo 4 and DON’T play it at all now?? I’m one of them. WE told them we don’t want Reach version 2.0 and 343 thumbed their noses at us and gave us Reach on STEROIDS. HELLO, WE want REAL Halo, not some dumbed down version of the game filled with gimmicks and randomness!

It can’t be Halo 3 - 2.0 although it was my favourite game. I say simplify Halo 4 or Halo 5.

> > Halo 4 is hardly a failure, Halo just does not hold the market share it once had.
>
> Halo 4 IS a failure, which is why NOBODY is playing it. How many millions bought Halo 4 and DON’T play it at all now?? HELLO, WE want REAL Halo, not some dumbed down version of the game filled with gimmicks and randomness!

Perfectly said

>
> Halo 4 IS a failure, which is why NOBODY is playing it. How many millions bought Halo 4 and DON’T play it at all now?? I’m one of them. WE told them we don’t want Reach version 2.0 and 343 thumbed their noses at us and gave us Reach on STEROIDS. HELLO, WE want REAL Halo, not some dumbed down version of the game filled with gimmicks and randomness!

Weird, it’s one of the top most-played Xbox games at the moment. You do know what “nobody” means, right? It doesn’t mean “hundreds of thousands”, rest assured.

What YOU (not we) want is a stripped down game from almost 6 years ago that would cater to your nostalgia while putting Halo even farther behind in popularity.

I bet you’re one of those people who think a Halo 2 anniversary with multiplayer matchmaking would actually do well, aren’tcha?

> Weird, it’s one of the top most-played Xbox games at the moment. You do know what “nobody” means, right? It doesn’t mean “hundreds of thousands”, rest assured.

I’m not going to argue that it’s one of the most top played XBL games, but the fact is that it’s going down fast in the charts.

> What YOU (not we) want is a stripped down game from almost 6 years ago that would cater to your nostalgia while putting Halo even farther behind in popularity.

sigh

Most people not liking Halo 4 doesn’t want copies of previous Halos, but something that resembles the old halos while going forward in progress, they want the game to evolve.

Did Halo 4 evolve? Yes, but it evolved into an entirely different genre. There’s little actual innovation in Halo 4 compared to the imitative part. Rather than being entirely it’s own thing, it’s partly trying to be something else.

From the rare arena shooter to the one in a dozen class based shooters.

A lot of the additions made would have needed more work and some of the additions shouldn’t have made it in at all.

> Because Halo has failed to progress in a natural way. Activision knows exactly what they are doing with CoD and listen to their fans. DICE does a good job with Battlefield. 343 is not listening to the core Halo fanbase and that’s why it’s failing. They want to cater to casuals who will trade it in after a couple weeks when the next big games comes out and that’s why the community is shrinking every day.

DICE sold out with Bad company 1/2. Now of course Battlefield 3 is an attempt to win back their core fanbase, but it’s still not the same as it was 5 years ago. Do I care? Not really. I enjoy the games. Same with Halo. SO what if 343 is trying to take on a new audience? They’re still making good games. I still play Halo CE regularly just like I regularly play the old Battlefield games. Doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy playing the newer ones a lot too.

> > Weird, it’s one of the top most-played Xbox games at the moment. You do know what “nobody” means, right? It doesn’t mean “hundreds of thousands”, rest assured.
>
> I’m not going to argue that it’s one of the most top played XBL games, but the fact is that it’s going down fast in the charts.
>
>
>
> > What YOU (not we) want is a stripped down game from almost 6 years ago that would cater to your nostalgia while putting Halo even farther behind in popularity.
>
> sigh
>
> Most people not liking Halo 4 doesn’t want copies of previous Halos, but <mark>something that resembles the old halos while going forward in progress, they want the game to evolve.</mark>
>
> Did Halo 4 evolve? Yes, but it evolved into an entirely different genre. There’s little actual innovation in Halo 4 compared to the imitative part. Rather than being entirely it’s own thing, it’s partly trying to be something else.
>
> From the rare arena shooter to the one in a dozen class based shooters.
>
> A lot of the additions made would have needed more work and some of the additions shouldn’t have made it in at all.

I very much doubt that. It’s been evident everytime it’s brought up that they have no ideas (and no want to come up with them) to add to the series besides taking away from it. Ask them specifically “What new things should be added in Halo 5” and without fail, 99% of the haters comments will be “I want them to take out this, this, and that.”

They don’t want a new Halo, they want a clone of a previous one, and they’ve deluded themselves into thinking such an out of date, for good or bad, and simple game would succeed any better than this one.

> > > Halo 4 is hardly a failure, Halo just does not hold the market share it once had.
> >
> > Halo 4 IS a failure, which is why NOBODY is playing it. How many millions bought Halo 4 and DON’T play it at all now?? I’m one of them. WE told them we don’t want Reach version 2.0 and 343 thumbed their noses at us and gave us Reach on STEROIDS. HELLO, WE want REAL Halo, not some dumbed down version of the game filled with gimmicks and randomness!
>
> Weird, it’s one of the top most-played Xbox games at the moment. You do know what “nobody” means, right? It doesn’t mean “hundreds of thousands”, rest assured.
>
> What YOU (not we) want is a stripped down game from almost 6 years ago that would cater to your nostalgia while putting Halo even farther behind in popularity.
>
> I bet you’re one of those people who think a Halo 2 anniversary with multiplayer matchmaking would actually do well, aren’tcha?

An example of this is Halo CEA, yes it’s a great game and the multiplayer is fun, but it’s not extremely popular either. I’d love a 2A though because I never had the opportunity to play it when it came out and I don’t own a copy of it. Either way, 2A’s multiplayer would die just as quickly as CEA’s. Sure people would play it, but not hundreds of thousands (after about a month) but more like 5-10 thousand.

@ Brad Pitt:

Thaks you! Finaly someone who agrees that Halo 4 was a souped up reach. Honestly I’d like to see an improved Halo 2 myself because I think it has the best Campaign. I also noticed that 343 said they were the and I quote “Following the Halo Timeline.” To that I say BS! First of all Master Chief can’t dual wield, secondly they replaced the Brute Shot with the Concussion Rifle…AGAIN! And thirdly if there is Covenant where the hell is Arbiter?! I rest my case. Also o secondary species WTF?!