Why Halo 5's ending was so poor

People seem to keep comparing Halo 5’s ending to Halo 2’s, as if the cliffhanger is the problem. Let me just say one thing:

There is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger.

Cliffhangers can work really well, they’re actually a great way of building up anticipation for the next installment. You still need a resolution, however.

Let me say this: I like Halo 2’s ending. I do.

There’s a huge difference between how Halo 2 ends, and how Halo 5 ends.

Halo 2 has an ending, and then a cliffhanger. You fight your way to Delta Halo, you beat Tartarus, you stop Halo from firing, and you save the galaxy, and then you get the cliffhanger.

Let’s look at Mass Effect 2. You fight your way to the collector base, you stop the collectors and escape (or you don’t), and then you get the cliffhanger.

Halo 5 doesn’t have that. You discover Cortana wants to police the galaxy and…nothing. You never stop her. You never get close to stopping her, the story just sorta…ends before it can get started. It’s like if Halo 4 were to end just as the Didact’s ship approaches Earth.

Halo 5 having a cliffhanger ending isn’t the problem, which most people seem to claim, it isn’t that. It just doesn’t have an ending.

> 2533274827167643;1:
> People seem to keep comparing Halo 5’s ending to Halo 2’s, as if the cliffhanger is the problem. Let me just say one thing:
>
> There is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger.
>
> Cliffhangers can work really well, they’re actually a great way of building up anticipation for the next installment. You still need a resolution, however.
>
> Let me say this: I like Halo 2’s ending. I do.
>
> There’s a huge difference between how Halo 2 ends, and how Halo 5 ends.
>
> Halo 2 has an ending, and then a cliffhanger. You fight your way to Delta Halo, you beat Tartarus, you stop Halo from firing, and you save the galaxy, and then you get the cliffhanger.
>
> Let’s look at Mass Effect 2. You fight your way to the collector base, you stop the collectors and escape (or you don’t), and then you get the cliffhanger.
>
> Halo 5 doesn’t have that. You discover Cortana wants to destroy the galaxy and…nothing. You never stop her. You never get close to stopping her, the story just sorta…ends before it can get started. It’s like if Halo were to end just as the Didact’s ship approaches Earth.
>
> Halo 5 having a cliffhanger ending isn’t the problem, which most people seem to claim, it isn’t that. It just doesn’t have an ending.

Sounds like you didn’t play the true cliff-hanger on legendary. Sure the main ending was kind of predictable but the legendary ending was at least interesting: [Halo 5 Guardians Legendary Ending (Halo 5 Guardians Ending) - YouTube

](Halo 5 Guardians Legendary Ending (Halo 5 Guardians Ending) - YouTube)The story in general is misleading since it’s supposed to be about HuntTheTruth events leading to why John was on the run, it really had nothing to do with Cortana so when they throw it in there…I was kind of confused since Halo 5 explained nothing about what 343i was trying to hype the game to be about which was confusing.

The only interesting thing about Halo 5’s Legendary Ending is that is Cortana actually used a Halo the results would be WORSE than when the Forerunners did it. The Forerunners had to spray affected planets with a kind of chemical to ensure the resulting mass deaths on the worlds would not cause those planets to fall in ecological collapse. Cortana does not appear to have access with those chemicals and so her use would be horrible. That or she’ll combine the Halos with Composers and use the Halo’s range to compose entire portions of the galaxy.

> 2533274829873463;2:
> > 2533274827167643;1:
> > People seem to keep comparing Halo 5’s ending to Halo 2’s, as if the cliffhanger is the problem. Let me just say one thing:
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger.
> >
> > Cliffhangers can work really well, they’re actually a great way of building up anticipation for the next installment. You still need a resolution, however.
> >
> > Let me say this: I like Halo 2’s ending. I do.
> >
> > There’s a huge difference between how Halo 2 ends, and how Halo 5 ends.
> >
> > Halo 2 has an ending, and then a cliffhanger. You fight your way to Delta Halo, you beat Tartarus, you stop Halo from firing, and you save the galaxy, and then you get the cliffhanger.
> >
> > Let’s look at Mass Effect 2. You fight your way to the collector base, you stop the collectors and escape (or you don’t), and then you get the cliffhanger.
> >
> > Halo 5 doesn’t have that. You discover Cortana wants to destroy the galaxy and…nothing. You never stop her. You never get close to stopping her, the story just sorta…ends before it can get started. It’s like if Halo were to end just as the Didact’s ship approaches Earth.
> >
> > Halo 5 having a cliffhanger ending isn’t the problem, which most people seem to claim, it isn’t that. It just doesn’t have an ending.
>
>
> Sounds like you didn’t play the true cliff-hanger on legendary. Sure the main ending was kind of predictable but the legendary ending was at least interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMVZ8JYFwg
>
>
The story in general is misleading since it’s supposed to be about HuntTheTruth events leading to why John was on the run, it really had nothing to do with Cortana so when they throw it in there…I was kind of confused since Halo 5 explained nothing about what 343i was trying to hype the game to be about which was confusing.

Kinda confused as to how that’s relevant. If anything, that proves my point. It’s a story with no resolution, just a cliffhanger.

The whike hunt the truth thing got thrown out the window when they actually showed why he was on the run. If it was up to us to piece it together, it would have been much deeper than knowing exactly why after 40 minutes of playtime. Then the whole propaganda thing becomes irrelevant.

The story was okay and the normal ending was meh for me. The good thing is that H6 has huge potential. I’m hoping for some flood and Gravemind action.

1 Like

> 2727626560040591;6:
> The story was okay and the ending was meh for me. The good thing is that H6 has huge potential. I’m hoping for some flood and Gravemind action.

I don’t really see how the Flood can play a part in Halo 6. With all that’s going on with Cortana, I can’t see any need for them. As much as I’d like them to return, I can’t see how they’d fit into 343’s vision.

> 2533274827167643;4:
> > 2533274829873463;2:
> > > 2533274827167643;1:
> > > People seem to keep comparing Halo 5’s ending to Halo 2’s, as if the cliffhanger is the problem. Let me just say one thing:
> > >
> > > There is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger.
> > >
> > > Cliffhangers can work really well, they’re actually a great way of building up anticipation for the next installment. You still need a resolution, however.
> > >
> > > Let me say this: I like Halo 2’s ending. I do.
> > >
> > > There’s a huge difference between how Halo 2 ends, and how Halo 5 ends.
> > >
> > > Halo 2 has an ending, and then a cliffhanger. You fight your way to Delta Halo, you beat Tartarus, you stop Halo from firing, and you save the galaxy, and then you get the cliffhanger.
> > >
> > > Let’s look at Mass Effect 2. You fight your way to the collector base, you stop the collectors and escape (or you don’t), and then you get the cliffhanger.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 doesn’t have that. You discover Cortana wants to destroy the galaxy and…nothing. You never stop her. You never get close to stopping her, the story just sorta…ends before it can get started. It’s like if Halo were to end just as the Didact’s ship approaches Earth.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 having a cliffhanger ending isn’t the problem, which most people seem to claim, it isn’t that. It just doesn’t have an ending.
> >
> >
> > Sounds like you didn’t play the true cliff-hanger on legendary. Sure the main ending was kind of predictable but the legendary ending was at least interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMVZ8JYFwg
> >
> >
The story in general is misleading since it’s supposed to be about HuntTheTruth events leading to why John was on the run, it really had nothing to do with Cortana so when they throw it in there…I was kind of confused since Halo 5 explained nothing about what 343i was trying to hype the game to be about which was confusing.
>
>
> Kinda confused as to how that’s relevant. If anything, that proves my point. It’s a story with no resolution, just a cliffhanger.

Well the point is none of it makes any sense, it’s so random that nothing seems coherent or consistent in Halo 5 where things just happen with little sense like no understanding of why the Eternal Warden is somehow siding with Cortana or how the Janus Key was completely ignored in Halo 5 or the fact that at no point was Locke made to believe that chief had killed innocents by ONI because they framed John 117…basically makes the repetitive Spartan Ops storyline and the HuntTheTruth series mostly obsolete. It’s mainly relevant because 343i essentially destroyed what Halo 5 was supposed to be about for the sake of a story that made less sense than what they were advertising in both the public eye to the Halo community and in the extended lore from which were expanding upon.

> 2533274829873463;8:
> > 2533274827167643;4:
> > > 2533274829873463;2:
> > > > 2533274827167643;1:
> > > > People seem to keep comparing Halo 5’s ending to Halo 2’s, as if the cliffhanger is the problem. Let me just say one thing:
> > > >
> > > > There is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger.
> > > >
> > > > Cliffhangers can work really well, they’re actually a great way of building up anticipation for the next installment. You still need a resolution, however.
> > > >
> > > > Let me say this: I like Halo 2’s ending. I do.
> > > >
> > > > There’s a huge difference between how Halo 2 ends, and how Halo 5 ends.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 2 has an ending, and then a cliffhanger. You fight your way to Delta Halo, you beat Tartarus, you stop Halo from firing, and you save the galaxy, and then you get the cliffhanger.
> > > >
> > > > Let’s look at Mass Effect 2. You fight your way to the collector base, you stop the collectors and escape (or you don’t), and then you get the cliffhanger.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 5 doesn’t have that. You discover Cortana wants to destroy the galaxy and…nothing. You never stop her. You never get close to stopping her, the story just sorta…ends before it can get started. It’s like if Halo were to end just as the Didact’s ship approaches Earth.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 5 having a cliffhanger ending isn’t the problem, which most people seem to claim, it isn’t that. It just doesn’t have an ending.
> > >
> > >
> > > Sounds like you didn’t play the true cliff-hanger on legendary. Sure the main ending was kind of predictable but the legendary ending was at least interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMVZ8JYFwg
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > Kinda confused as to how that’s relevant. If anything, that proves my point. It’s a story with no resolution, just a cliffhanger.
>
>
> Well the point is none of it makes any sense, it’s so random that nothing seems coherent or consistent in Halo 5 where things just happen with little sense like no understanding of why the Eternal Warden is somehow siding with Cortana or how the Janus Key was completely ignored in Halo 5 or the fact that at no point was Locke made to believe that chief had killed innocents by ONI because they framed John 117…basically makes the repetitive Spartan Ops storyline and the HuntTheTruth series mostly obsolete. It’s mainly relevant because 343i essentially destroyed what Halo 5 was supposed to be about for the sake of a story that made less sense than what they were advertising in both the public eye to the Halo community and in the extended lore from which were expanding upon.

I was referring to the comment about the legendary ending.

Either way, I agree the whole story was nonsense (honestly, after the lead writer was announced, I expected it to be), but I was specifically talking about the ending here. It didn’t have one.

This is exactly what I’ve been telling people who compared Halo 2 to Halo 5, but no one listened to me…
Halo 2 had an awesome story-telling with a successful climax and cliffhanger. Halo 5’s two sides were basically one side unlike the whole Arbiter and Master Chief sides in Halo 2. Halo 5 had a terrible anti-climactic ending

There’s a huge problem eith the entire premise of your thread- a story does not have to have a resolution to be a good story. It is okay to end where it did.

> 2533274890800227;11:
> There’s a huge problem eith the entire premise of your thread- a story does not have to have a resolution to be a good story. It is okay to end where it did.

Too bad Halo 5 never really got to be good, at least where I stand. It had moments, but the actual story was riddled with unresolved plot points from the last game and unexplained happenings in this one. It is one thing to have some plot points resolved in the next game, that is understandable, but let us take someone like the Warden Eternal. It’d probably have been better had we actually gotten to know who or what exactly he is. Yes, he has millions of bodies, agrees with Cortana and has some connection with the Domain. Other than that? He just wants Cortana-senpai to notice him and he has some of the worst boss fights I’ve ever played.

Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.

> 2533274847563380;13:
> Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.

I’d be shocked if Cortana’s BS was even relevant to Halo 6 seeing as how Spartan Op’s story planned no role in Halo 5 and 343 droppedpretty much every other plot thread developed from their books prior to Halo 5’s release.

> 2533274812652989;14:
> > 2533274847563380;13:
> > Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.
>
>
> I’d be shocked if Cortana’s BS was even relevant to Halo 6 seeing as how Spartan Op’s story planned no role in Halo 5 and 343 droppedpretty much every other plot thread developed from their books prior to Halo 5’s release.

In spartan ops, what happend to the Janice key?

> 2533274847563380;15:
> > 2533274812652989;14:
> > > 2533274847563380;13:
> > > Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.
> >
> >
> > I’d be shocked if Cortana’s BS was even relevant to Halo 6 seeing as how Spartan Op’s story planned no role in Halo 5 and 343 droppedpretty much every other plot thread developed from their books prior to Halo 5’s release.
>
>
> In spartan ops, what happend to the Janice key?

That got resolved in Halo: Escalation. Basically, it’s gone now. A Contender-class Forerunner AI takes it from Halsey’s hands and it disappears. That’s it.

> 2533274812652989;16:
> > 2533274847563380;15:
> > > 2533274812652989;14:
> > > > 2533274847563380;13:
> > > > Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.
> > >
> > >
> > > I’d be shocked if Cortana’s BS was even relevant to Halo 6 seeing as how Spartan Op’s story planned no role in Halo 5 and 343 droppedpretty much every other plot thread developed from their books prior to Halo 5’s release.
> >
> >
> > In spartan ops, what happend to the Janice key?
>
>
> That got resolved in Halo: Escalation. Basically, it’s gone now. A Contender-class Forerunner AI takes it from Halsey’s hands and it disappears. That’s it.

Oh, that’s disaponting… lol

> 2533274847563380;17:
> > 2533274812652989;16:
> > > 2533274847563380;15:
> > > > 2533274812652989;14:
> > > > > 2533274847563380;13:
> > > > > Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I’d be shocked if Cortana’s BS was even relevant to Halo 6 seeing as how Spartan Op’s story planned no role in Halo 5 and 343 droppedpretty much every other plot thread developed from their books prior to Halo 5’s release.
> > >
> > >
> > > In spartan ops, what happend to the Janice key?
> >
> >
> > That got resolved in Halo: Escalation. Basically, it’s gone now. A Contender-class Forerunner AI takes it from Halsey’s hand and it disappears. That’s it.
>
>
> Oh, that’s disaponting… lol

Now imagine paying around $75 for the whole run of Escalation as it came out because it was billed as the continuation of Spartan Ops only to learn that information about the Key.

That’s a fair point. I agree with it. I think Halo 2’s cliffhanger is rather lame, but yeah, whether they illuminated it correctly or not, there still was a real resolution.

> 2533274812652989;12:
> > 2533274890800227;11:
> > There’s a huge problem eith the entire premise of your thread- a story does not have to have a resolution to be a good story. It is okay to end where it did.
>
>
> Too bad Halo 5 never really got to be good, at least where I stand. It had moments, but the actual story was riddled with unresolved plot points from the last game and unexplained happenings in this one. It is one thing to have some plot points resolved in the next game, that is understandable, but let us take someone like the Warden Eternal. It’d probably have been better had we actually gotten to know who or what exactly he is. Yes, he has millions of bodies, agrees with Cortana and has some connection with the Domain. Other than that? He just wants Cortana-senpai to notice him and he has some of the worst boss fights I’ve ever played.

It disappoints me to no end that Frankie acknowledged that things weren’t explained as well as they could have been in Halo 4, and it was something they were planning to improve upon in Halo 5, and they went in the exact opposite direction.

> Let’s just hope halo 6 does not have you stop Cortana in the first mission on the last cutscene. Lol I get what you mean, Personaly I liked the ending, but it does leave some conclusion to be desired.

Oh God, don’t even get me started on poor old Jul…