Why Halo 5's Customization Didn't Work

Halo 5 had some good armor (Nightfall chest piece and Helljumper, I’m looking at you along with all the other Campaign armor). Anyway, customization would’ve worked if it was more than 4 things. Look at Reach. It had the best mix and match of any Halo game, except maybe less than 4, and great armor. This allowed for truly unique armor designs instead of “Helmet is the identifier”.

Let’s face it, nobody recognizes the differences between chest pieces these days. Only some helmets. Don’t get me started on how there are about 7 or 8 versions of EVA wannabes. No original armor sets these days, they all look like Warframe armor. The REQ system is also crap, but that’s another thread for another day.

TL;DR- 343 can fix customization by returning to Halo 4/Reach’s mix and match style system.

> 2533274818737568;1:
> Anyway, customization would’ve worked if it was more than four things. Look at Reach. It had the best mix and match of any Halo game.

Nothing, in my mind beats the level of customisation seen in Halo Reach. Bungie knew how to do it well.

That and some of the armours that are not skins but different sets use the same pieces, ie Vector, Cyber, Scout & Soldier, Scanner And these are the only ones I’ve noticed because I like the Scout shoulders and the Soldier chest and they’re recognisable. I’m sure a load of assets are shared between armours so 343 don’t have to design new models, just colour them in (colouring in seems to be a big part of 343, with armour skins, weapon skins and different rarity reqs making up a lot of the updates)

Whatever the customization is in Halo 5…IT’S -Yoink-.

> 2533274814708067;4:
> Whatever the customization is in Halo 5…IT’S -Yoink-.

That’s typical 343 incompetence

Emblems shouldn’t be something you get out of REQ packs and you should be able to unlock armor and other items from commendations and leveling up. It is annoying as all hell that I have as much stuff unlocked as I do and don’t have a single helmet I like.

The fact that you need to get variants to customized patterns on your armor is just poor, greedy design. It doesn’t feel like 3 years of development was put into this game.

Yeah, gotta agree on this one, I’ve always tended to use ODST type armour since Reach, and the Helljumper Helmet/ Nightfall Armour combination actually looks a bit more unique compared to all the generic EVA-type helmets and armour pieces that are shared by 4 or 5 different sets.

The reason they dumbed it down is that it would be too many pieces of armor to program to drop from the REQ system. Laziness fueled by a stupid new system.

Agreed! Loved Reach and its unlock system and customization options.

Didn’t really like Reach’s customization. I wouldn’t mind Halo 3 style customization.

Not a huge fan of Spartans with HUDs who need to have a scanner on their arm for some reason. Or mismatched shoulder pieces.

i don’t like it but it grew on me. not a big deal anymore… can’t believe people are still making threads about this topic. was beaten to death already.

I think that a return to Reach’s style of customization would be wonderful. Also, I think Destiny did something right by having random drops in multiplayer. You don’t get enough of these items by waiting to buy REQ Packs. I also just hate the randomness of it. The odds of you getting something you want is abysmal. You either have to have no life (and I have one) or a bottomless pocket to buy hundreds of dollars of REQ Packs to get everything you want. I also agree that emblems shouldn’t be something you get in REQ Packs. That makes the REQ point grind even more fruitless at times.

I gotta disagree, I really do notice and look into all components of armor, I read through all the variants right from the start to pick out which I would want as a Spartan before I even unlocked it. If you are a player who makes a character in your mind not just putting on what you like, armor customization really lets you create a way for you to be part of the Halo Universe.

The only problem is the giant amount of work that would have to go into it to remove all the armors and helmets everyone has or will have, code in about 5 new menus into your armor, break each piece of armor they already have in the game make it function with other pieces of armor and make it show that your armor is broken up in the game. But since a ton of the community can’t wait more than a day for something and 343 also needs to keep up with a monthly update or else even more the community will start flaming I wouldn’t be surprised if 343 started this now and only finished it by the end of the year.

> 2533274846173289;13:
> I gotta disagree, I really do notice and look into all components of armor, I read through all the variants right from the start to pick out which I would want as a Spartan before I even unlocked it. If you are a player who makes a character in your mind not just putting on what you like, armor customization really lets you create a way for you to be part of the Halo Universe.

Let’s be honest, when most people see a good armor piece they wear it because it looks cool, not because “Oh this suit was designed for missions that never happened, for Spartans that never were.”

Okay… Well, I admit I do like Nightfall’s chest, legs, sand shoulders canonically and aesthetically, and Helljumper isn’t guilt free either, I’m also not the casual fan. The casual fan looks for cool looking armor, the hardcores don’t care, and the canon people are like “Oooh marines surviving falls from dropships!”.

I’m a UNSC lore guy. Some Covenant, not a fan of the Forerunners, books were too “Meh”, but that’s not the point.

The problem of the countless reskins bloating the REQ system should also be addressed. The other day I unlocked like 3 variants of Locus from one day of gaming. That is crazy, considering I still have about 165ish other things to unlock.

Love the customization in Reach. There are some really cool armors (mostly helmets) in this game, but you have to scroll through over 100 just to get a new one you might have unlocked randomly. I liked the credit system of Reach where you could customize each helmet with different variations by spending your points. They could have done the same with this game and had better menu system for finding and unlocking armor.

> 2533274855589435;12:
> I think that a return to Reach’s style of customization would be wonderful. Also, I think Destiny did something right by having random drops in multiplayer. You don’t get enough of these items by waiting to buy REQ Packs. I also just hate the randomness of it. The odds of you getting something you want is abysmal. You either have to have no life (and I have one) or a bottomless pocket to buy hundreds of dollars of REQ Packs to get everything you want. I also agree that emblems shouldn’t be something you get in REQ Packs. That makes the REQ point grind even more fruitless at times.

Yep. The only thing I use in Warzone 99% of the time is random packs. Can’t waste that collection of 25 tanks in WZA, now can I? But the RNG in the menus is a big no-no.

Perhaps, if they keep the grindy over inflated REQ system they can bring in “Customization Packs” for 5000 each and make emblems an automatic start unlock. If not, they should return to Reach’s credit system. I always preferred earning my armor through achievements, it filled me with a sense of pride and honor wearing Recon after going through the LASO challenges. But Reach was the next best thing. You still had to play to get your armor but you could choose what you got.

> 2533274848599184;10:
> Didn’t really like Reach’s customization. I wouldn’t mind Halo 3 style customization.
>
> Not a huge fan of Spartans with HUDs who need to have a scanner on their arm for some reason. Or mismatched shoulder pieces.

Maybe you are not a fan, but other people have other tastes. They might like the mismatched shoulder pieces. But the fact is, even the Halo 3 system would be better than the Halo 5 armor customization.

It honestly makes no difference to me, seems like Reach players complain the most about these meaningless things, Halo 1 and 2 didn’t have any of these options and are regarded the best by many people.

I honestly think that they have too much options to begin with and should concentrate on other things.

> 2535405481100234;19:
> It honestly makes no difference to me, seems like Reach players complain the most about these meaningless things, Halo 1 and 2 didn’t have any of these options and are regarded the best by many people.
>
> I honestly think that they have too much options to begin with and should concentrate on other things.

“If you’re going to go on a killing spree after falling from space, you might as well look cool doing it”- Noble Six

Custom armor really lets the player become immersed in the game. That’s your statement. That’s your in-game version of “Look at me, I’m a special snowflake”. And I choose to be this snowflake with pride.