Why Halo 4 wasn't as good as it could've been

I blame the team in charge for making the game and I also blame Microsoft, but thanks to both they have single-handedly destroyed Halo for me. I haven’t touched it in days, and every time I do jump on, I’m forcing myself to play a match… or two, or three only to be bored and pissed off by the end of my 3rd match (I’m sorry but no TU can fix stupid casual players running around like idiots not knowing what they’re doing, hopefully it can fix the lag and aim assist/bullet magnetism but I’m not holding my breath). I’m a competitive player and there is nothing competitive about this game nor does it give me a reason to keep playing.

Campaign: There are a lot of you out there that like this and think it’s the best one to date. I humbly disagree. If you enjoyed terrible maps that were just pure shine and pushing buttons to proceed EVERY single time, then this campaign is for you! The voice acting was not that great same with the story. I highly think you should go back to the way Bungie did it where both actor’s were seperated when they did their lines, because working together… wow, it was peeling a cat listening to the crummy dialogue changes and Cortana screaming every 5 minutes. Liked a bit of the story about her rampancy, didn’t like anything else they tried to fit in (UNSC Infinity, Didact (what a terrible name for a villain, calling him a Demi-God would be more effective), Storm Cult (you had to read the book to know what they were all about as the game mentions NOTHING about them other than them being “more fanatical” than the covies you’ve faced before).

What made the other Halo campaigns fun to me other than the story was the dialogue between characters (Johnson helped with this big time and he was a badass supporting character). The worlds felt lush, and you got to explore a little bit. In here it’s just… I’m stuck underground, or in a facility, or God knows where going from fight to button push. There were only 2 memorable moments in the campaign for me, and that was the intro cause I thought something epic would happen, it did not. Also, the stage where you’re flying through to get to the Didact, all I kept doing was humming the Star Wars Death Star Run while I flew.

Spartan Ops: A bland and very repetitive add-on. I pushed enough buttons throughout my entire campaign, but looks like the job isn’t finished! I have yet more buttons to push, yay! The story is so bad I stopped playing after the Second chapter and have not progressed forward since. There’s nothing of value and I preferred firefight because at least it was a mixture of things to do: Score Attack, Generator Defense, Fiesta, etc. Voice acting on this again was terrible as was the game script because it was nowhere near Mature and sounded too kiddy-ish.

War Games: Oh man, here we go… Went from map control to just random chaos, luck and chance. I miss being able to hold down key positions of a map and having the other team fight to take it back, there are no moments like this in Halo 4 which sucks. Ordnance drops come next as they are completely game breaking. Nothing worse than playing on a map where 3-4 dudes on the other team have Sniper Rifles, Binary Rifles, Beam Rifles and a rocket. Whatever happened to fighting for control for the right to use these amazing weapons? Another reason how this was designed for the casual player.

You get points and medals for everything. Ran away from someone? Distraction! Here’s a medal. Got a kill on someone? Great! Here’s 10 points and a medal for having a “generic kill”! There’s no reward or feeling of awesomeness whenever you pull off double-kills or anything of the sort. Just oh wow, double kill… move on.

One thing I think would fix matchmaking other than resolving the lag issues is to bring back weapons on the map, just rotate the positioning so it gives everyone an equal chance to fight for what they want and would create some epic moments. Also, when adding this, remove ordnance completely.

Get rid of sprint for everyone. I understand its what “modern” shooters do, but this is a “futuristic” arena shooter. There is a difference. Didn’t mind it in Reach because it was Limited and if you chose it, you gave up on the chance to use other armor abilities until you died and changed loadouts.

Loadouts are a terrible idea. No need to go out and do anything to get a weapon you or the team needs. You have everything right at your fingertips, another recipe for casual gaming.

Nothing to level up for: Armor parts? No thanks. You have SR-130’s who are more garbage at this game than I am. So in turn it makes it feel completely useless to rank up. The most time I’ve ever spent in matchmaking was on Launch Day and that’s pretty sad.

Add a variation of playlists to keep it fresh, STOP TAKING THEM OUT. That’s what made the other Halo’s so successful at MP, there was ALWAYS tons of things you can do. Didn’t want to play competitively and mess around? Go into Infection, or Action Sack or Grif Ball. Wanted to play competitively? Jump into Team Slayer, or Arena and play for that awesome Gold star (I know a lot of got higher than this, but I never did as good as I was. :()

Search Filters: Why even bother to take this out? A crucial piece of Halo matchmaking gone out of the window.

Flinch instead of descoping: I can somewhat understand the reasoning behind this (you’re a spartan, a super soldier and bullets when hitting a shield should make you flinch) but getting descoped when you got hit was Classic Halo style! It also emphasized skill a lot more. Now you can just sit and spam without fear of anything really and leads to DMR spam-fests.

Weapons Aim-Assist/Bullet Magnetism: Tone it the -Yoink- down. I played a match on one of the flood maps (didn’t bother to remember the name because the map was unmemorable and poorly designed) was in the bottom mid by elevator, next thing you know a guy rushes forward looking sideways while shooting his Saw and every bullet magically gains angle’s and auto-direct themselves toward me. That’s pretty bad and also very lame. For a “skilled set of developers” (if we called you anything less, even with all the criticism in place I’d get banned or my post edited so we’ll assume you know what you’re doing… not.)

Poor customer service: This is by far what pisses me off the most. I bought the LE, so I got my specs and War Games Pass and what not, but what about the folks who didn’t? Well they just get ignored and directed to locked threads that provides absolutely nothing useful to them. Not to mention the fiasco with the Crimson DLC. 14-day trial over a serious -Yoink- up and not taking responsibility for it? I bet when your game finally dies, you’ll blame another game for taking your sales rather than realizing you probably did a terrible job and strayed too far from the core mechanics.

Other than that, I’m not sure what else to mention. I know there’s other major issues like the Boltshot that the community isn’t happy about, the DMR spamming, Active Camo being broken. But for the most part, these are my collective thoughts on what made Halo bad and a few things that can make it better. Sorry for the long read, and hope for the most part it gave you some kind of insight onto why a lot of us are just so fed up and pissed off. Also, before you say go play another game… I worked hard my $100 which I then wasted on Halo 4. I will never get that full amount back so I’m stuck gritting my teeth over a bad consumer decision. (Had to add this separately due to character count).

I don’t see anything wrong with the actual gameplay. It’s good, it is. What makes this game sort of bad right now is that 343 is holding back on so much.

The Matchmaking playlist is very bland, I mean everyone only plays Big Team Battle. 343 needs to have more custom maps in matchmaking as well as turning some features off, like loadouts and sprint, not because they’re bad but because it gives us more to play with. We also need the Action Sack Playlist.

I used to think that Halo 3’s ranking system was the best system, but it was the best system in any Halo game and it still could have improved. When players cheated to rank up in Halo 3, you shouldn’t think get rid of the system. You should fix the exact thing people would do to cheat. People are already max rank, what do they do know?

343 also needs to hurry up and fix the file browser. Forge has always been in my opinion the best thing that ever happened to Halo. I would really like to see my map get recognition, but no 343 can’t just let people view others file shares like in Halo 3. File shares are locked to view when in matchmaking lobbies which is limited. We have to rely on the file browser, which I don’t even know when they’ll finally put it up.

So in other words, Halo 4 has the potential to be the best Halo game. It’s just too bad 343 couldn’t give us the “fun” from the start.

I agree with you about War Games OP. I’ve spent maybe 3 hours TOTAL in that part of the game. I think that War Games actually ruined Halo for me. It strayed so far from Halo basics, that it doesn’t even feel like Halo.

In my opinion, 343i messed up big time.

I may hire a sky writer to display your thoughts on flinch. The games worst aspect by a long shot for me.

Completely agree.

It’s too much. I could’ve accepted some changes, even though I don’t like them, but there are just too many.

  • Removal of static weapons
  • No descoping
  • Instant respawns
  • Ordnances
  • Perks
  • More AA’s (like PV, seriously? a wall hack in a fps?)
  • Sprint as default
  • Random weapon drops
  • Only a couple 4v4 maps, and they suck
  • Loadout weapons (shotgun as starting weapon, PP as starting weapon in vehicle maps?)

> I don’t see anything wrong with the actual gameplay. It’s good, it is. What makes this game sort of bad right now is that 343 is holding back on so much.
>
> The Matchmaking playlist is very bland, I mean everyone only plays Big Team Battle. 343 needs to have more custom maps in matchmaking as well as turning some features off, like loadouts and sprint, not because they’re bad but because it gives us more to play with. We also need the Action Sack Playlist.
>
> I used to think that Halo 3’s ranking system was the best system, but it was the best system in any Halo game and it still could have improved. When players cheated to rank up in Halo 3, you shouldn’t think get rid of the system. You should fix the exact thing people would do to cheat. People are already max rank, what do they do know?
>
> 343 also needs to hurry up and fix the file browser. Forge has always been in my opinion the best thing that ever happened to Halo. I would really like to see my map get recognition, but no 343 can’t just let people view others file shares like in Halo 3. File shares are locked to view when in matchmaking lobbies which is limited. We have to rely on the file browser, which I don’t even know when they’ll finally put it up.
>
> So in other words, Halo 4 has the potential to be the best Halo game. It’s just too bad 343 couldn’t give us the “fun” from the start.

I can understand that point of view and can easily agree that the Ranking System in Halo 3 was damn good. In Halo 2, I wasn’t that great so I was stuck at around 29, but Halo 3 I managed to get to 47 and just fighting for those last 3 levels was an epic battle in itself because you always got paired against really really damn good level 50’s who understand the maps, timing, etc like the back of their hand. Honestly playing them was the most fun I ever had in Halo because they always gave me a run for my money and those matches, K/D didn’t matter, only the W-yuh. :slight_smile:

Its funny too because they mentioned they got rid of that ranking system thanks to boosters, but you see people doing the same thing with the XP thing! You even have these degenerate little kids running into retail stores and taking pics of Double-XP rather than paying for it like a normal human being so what you’re left with is AFK noobs in Spartan Ops and high-level, no skilled players in Matchmaking. -_-

> Completely agree.
>
> It’s too much. I could’ve accepted some changes, even though I don’t like them, but there are just too many.
>
> - Removal of static weapons
> - No descoping
> - Instant respawns
> - Ordnances
> - Perks
> - More AA’s (like PV, seriously? a wall hack in a fps?)
> - Sprint as default
> - Random weapon drops
> - Only a couple 4v4 maps, and they suck
> - Loadout weapons (shotgun as starting weapon, PP as starting weapon in vehicle maps?)

You’re absolutely right. I’m all for change, hell one my favorite franchises of all time went through a serious change (Unreal Tournament for any of you old skool folk) but yet, they never strayed from what made UT… well, UT. The core mechanics stayed, and on top of that the core and most loved weapons like the Flak Cannon and Shock Rifle stayed in literally EVERY iteration of UT, including the Championship Spin-offs for original Xbox console.

There is a way to make a game better and more improved and refined without straying too far from the mechanics. You nailed it right on the head, change is okay, but too much of a drastic change is never any good. Has anyone ever played Operation Raccoon City? I thought it was okay but it heavily strayed off what RE was. That’s exactly what Halo 4 feels like right now and damn I wish those sandbox changes came first because I don’t think I can wait another “couple months” for it. (it’s been almost 3 now since release and file share… the most essential Halo tool is not working… yet).