Why Halo 4 Map Design Sucks

I am in no means trying to criticize the Halo 4 design team for making horrible maps, but God do these maps -Yoinking!- suck. Here are a couple reasons I think 343 industries should take a look at past Halo games for tips or just plain remake some of the maps.

1. Map Size - First of all you have your casual gamer and/or your hardcore/competitive gamer. It can be hard for these types of gamers to coincide because they can have different likes and dislikes in what a good map/gametype is. Casual gamers tend to stay on the Big Team Battle side of things for Halo. Big Team Battle is a more relaxed gametype and is honestly not that competitive at ALL. I’m not saying it can’t be competitive because it can be. Hardcore/competitive gamers have a different take on matchmaking than casual gamers do. I can honestly call myself a competitive gamer for sure so my opinion may be a little biased. This Halo seems to lean 90% more towards the casual gamer. Literally the only decently sized map for competitive play is Haven and maybe Adrift or Abandon, but those maps have map design flaws that call for bad gameplay in my opinion. Today, December 10th, 2012, the Crimson Map Pack DLC came out and I have got to say. Not one map is good for a decent 4v4 game. I watched a video from IGN where the lead map design Kynan Pearson said that Harvest is best supported for 4v4 play. Kynan, please. Harvest is more of a map for 8v8 play. Basically where I am going with this is that we need more small maps for competitive play. Yes, we do have forge to create small maps and MLG will be putting out a playlist soon with small maps created by the players. But honestly we shouldn’t be the ones who have to create small maps to want to play in a competitive setting. I don’t care if sprint is in Halo 4. If you put in Midship from Halo 2 with sprint. It would play 100% the exact SAME.

2. The Way The Maps Look - In competitive play for every single past Halo game competitive players have came up with callouts to help explain where the enemy is while playing. It is extremely hard for the players to come up with callouts because of the way the Maps look in Halo 4. Particularly the map Haven. On the map Haven, it is hard to remember the callouts of the map because it is not color coated like every single Halo game in the past. It is one color. How are you supposed to know the difference of the 2 streets on the map if at first glance they both look the same, This is ridiculous and needs to be changed by added colors via Forge and placing the updated map into matchmaking.

3. How The Maps Play Out - The maps in Halo 4 do not play good at all. In past Halo games the maps lead to teamwork. This teamwork was shown by pushes with the team for power positions on the map. (Which by the way there are zero power positions on any Halo 4 map.) Teamwork is also shown through controlling areas on the map to gain power weapons. This was all completely thrown out the window for Halo 4 multiplayer. Also the maps play like a giant bomb is about to go off and everyone just runs around, it is chaos and the maps make for horrible gameplay.

4. What’s On The Map? - When I run out of ammo in my gun, I would like to pick up another gun or in fact be able to go to a position on the map where I can get ammo for my current gun without having to kill anyone. Yet again, this was completely thrown out of the window for Halo 4 multiplayer. I don’t know what 343 industries was thinking when they created these maps but at least put some -Yoinking!- weapons down so I can get ammo. Yet still on the map pack maps there are no spots where I can run and get ammo without killing someone.

5. My Conclusion - I have ultimately been frustrated with the entire Halo 4 multiplayer experience and I have resorted to playing Black Ops 2 because to be honest it is the better game right now. I am 100% more of a Halo fan than a COD fan but I am just being honest. Until most of the things I stated are fixed or at least until the MLG playlist launches I won’t be touching Halo at all.

6. One More Complaint - Even though this isn’t about Team Doubles it still goes with this post because the problem is the maps are too big to support it. I am one of the biggest Team Doubles fans out there. I could play it on any game if it was available. It is just so much fun and I could remember the awesome Team Doubles moments I had on Halo 2 back in the day. Well I guess this was also completely thrown out of the window because Team Doubles it no where to be found. WHERE THE HELL IS MY TEAM DOUBLES? Oh yeah I almost forgot, the maps are -Yoinking!- huge and can’t hand Team Doubles. Thanks 343 industries.

I don’t mean to come off like a kid who just wants to complain about the game. The reason I am complaining is because I want Halo to succeed more than the next guy, but I feel like 343 industries is doing absolutely nothing about it. Hopefully we can get the Halo back we all know and love.

Agree 1000%

i agree. they need more weapon spawns (DMR/BR ammo especially), pickups like Overshield and speed boost, and possibly even AA pick ups (which is what MLG is doing)

The maps are so stale already.

I happy microsoft screwed up with the crimson map pack. I feel we are entitled to them since they gave us 10 maps and 3 forge world maps, complete with spawns and all and they are no where to be found online.

Also, the crimson map pack leaves much to be desired in my opinion.

I think the maps in general aren’t quite as focused for gameplay as some of the maps we’ve seen previously. There are a lot less power positions, but that also has to do with the general settings as well (everyone can have jetpack, etc.). I still find them fun to play, but in a different way.

I was also expecting the DLC to be more varied in terms of map size, rather than all BTB maps. However, maybe that works better for the DLC playlists, since you can have a playlist with a variety of gametypes that work on all the maps. In Reach, they had to balance 6v6 Invasion on Breakpoint with 6v6 Slayer on Anchor 9, which wasn’t the best. So maybe the next map pack will be all small maps (well, small for Halo 4).

It would sure be nice if they added the Forge maps to matchmaking as well.

Besides all these flaws my biggest complain is that the map layouts are too easy to remember. So it’s nearly impossible to go through hidden paths and sneak up to the enemy. Also it’s very annoying that the game always shows you where the weapon spawn points are. What’s the point in learning where the most powerful weapons will spawn on a map if someone who never has played this map before just have to follow the big white weapon signs? I was very disappointed with the crimson map pack as I hoped that 343i would put the most generic maps in the main game and release the better ones later. But in my opinion this isn’t the case. The standard maps are better but still not as good as the ones of previous Halo games.

When Ragnorak is the most played map in BTB, it shows that the other maps are not as popular…because they suck. The new maps are not meant for vehicle play and the loadouts minimize vehicle effectiveness anyway. This is slowely converting to an Infantry only playlist.

> 5. My Conclusion - I have ultimately been frustrated with the entire Halo 4 multiplayer experience and I have resorted to playing Black Ops 2 because to be honest it is the better game right now. I am 100% more of a Halo fan than a COD fan but I am just being honest. Until most of the things I stated are fixed or at least until the MLG playlist launches I won’t be touching Halo at all.

You should delete this paragraph, I don’t think it is relevant. It also supports what you don’t want to sound like in your last paragraph.

> 1. Map Size

Wow, right off the bat, It’s hard to take you seriously. “I don’t care if sprint is in Halo 4. If you put in Midship from Halo 2 with sprint. It would play 100% the exact SAME.” Really? No. With all the new elements added in Halo 4, Midship would not play the same. Sure it would look the same, but now we have jetpack, PV, instant respawns, ordnance drops and so on. Now don’t get me wrong. I would like to see this map in Halo 4, but it will NOT play the same as halo 2.

> 2. The Way The Maps Look

You call yourself a competitive gamer, yet you find it “too hard” to make callouts? Why not refer to initial weapon spawns on Haven? Also, there are callouts for Haven. Here you go - YouTube

> 3. How The Maps Play Out

There is a sense of power weapon control when you first spawn. Have you not figured this out yet? After the initial spawn, I agree, It is random. This adds a new element to the game. (They might even fix it, who knows)

No teamwork? Really? Every time I lose a game It’s because the enemy team is way more coordinated than us. Controlling different parts of the map and baiting us into bad situations.

> 4. What’s On The Map?

You know you can get the ammo support upgrade for your loadout, right? Or just pick up an enemy weapon. Or get ordnance drops. Or weapon drops on the map. I find it hard to believe you run out of ammo THAT much to actually complain about it.

> 5. My Conclusion

Don’t let the door hit your -Yoink!- on the way out.

> 6. One More Complaint

Team Doubles is coming in January.

<Yoink!> Adrift! I haven’t played a single game on it I enjoyed, be it CTF, Oddball, Slayer, or especially Flood. Part of it is the middle room is so hard to get around in (seriously, unless you have a jet pack you can’t traverse the room with any kind of speed. And those stairs are so badly placed).

> When Ragnorak is the most played map in BTB, it shows that the other maps are not as popular…because they suck. The new maps are not meant for vehicle play and the loadouts minimize vehicle effectiveness anyway. This is slowely converting to an Infantry only playlist.

I don’t know if it’s Halo 4’s weapons or what, but Ragnorak is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

> > When Ragnorak is the most played map in BTB, it shows that the other maps are not as popular…because they suck. The new maps are not meant for vehicle play and the loadouts minimize vehicle effectiveness anyway. This is slowely converting to an Infantry only playlist.
>
> I don’t know if it’s Halo 4’s weapons or what, but Ragnorak is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Ragnorak is terrible in BTB. The DMR distance and ordinance drops makes most games campfests.