Why Halo 4 is disappointing...

I finished Halo 4 with my best friend today. We have played Halo together since 2001 with Halo: CE. Halo 4 was extremely disappointing for me personally. The story line seemed rushed. There were so many questions left unanswered at the end and don’t even get me started about Cortana. This game was hardly anything like what was advertised in the trailers. I was expecting a lot of drama with Cortana, but it was built up and built up and then I was left sitting there thinking, “Really? This is where they chose to go with Halo!?” It’s depressing. Halo:Reach had a really depressing tone, but it made sense. It was humanity’s most solemn hour. It made the struggles of Chief and Cortana in Halo: CE so epic. That we were finally standing up to this overwhelming alien force. This game was much more depressing thanks to the Cortana storyline. The finality of her rampancy was so disappointing I couldn’t even believe it was happening like that. We had no backstory to the new important characters. I find myself for the entire second half of the game liking the gameplay, but wondering what in the world was going on with the story telling. Why is Halsey in handcuffs and what was the point of the intro? The story went nowhere with that. I thought the game was going to be about getting Cortana to Halsey and this epic struggle to save Earth as well as Cortana. You even wasted dialogue acting like we were going to try to find her. So we saved earth in Halo 3 and it felt epic. In Halo 4 my friend barely noticed we were at Earth saving it. Everything felt thrown together and somethings went nowhere that I was interested in finding out about. Why is the covenant aggressive towards us again? Not that I’m complaining that we’re battling them again(it’s appropriate), but the big explaination was… “a lot can change in 4 years”. Part of the awe of the halo storyline was the fact that Chief and Cortana were making things happen in this struggle in which we are severe underdogs against this zealot force that is aggressive and confused and Chief was saving humanity in this epic struggles. Now at the end of Halo 4 this forerunner villian says we’re the threat!? I guess I just can’t understand where this is going and why I should like it.

I agree. This campaign was just a meh for me. Where as the others were like “OMG OMG!” you know. At first I didn’t want to be one of those -Yoinks- saying Bungie is master race, but I’m starting to see where they were coming from with 343 killing the campaign and making a just sub-average multiplayer that’s broken with loadouts and what seems to have no incentive for heaadshots. And basically leaving custom games and forge to die.