Why halo 4 betrayed me as a fan.

Bare with me here, this is a great game in terms of first person shooter but as a successor to halo 3? I think not.

Let me start on the covenant and in particular the elites. I have always been a fan of the elites always played as them in multiplayer and in this halo they are nothing more than a lack luster enemy. The elites were betrayed severely by the prophets which erased their faith they didn’t join with us to help defeat their elders they joined with us because they realized the human cause was right. They wouldn’t just turn back to being our enemy’s especially under the guidance of the arbiter ( a major character in halo 3 yet not even mentioned in halo 4) who was saved by the chief and saved the chief on a number of occasions. And especially seeing as the forerunner locations they worshipped were no longer holy to the elites, this would include requiem and the remaining halo rings they would have assisted humanity in their decommission. Elites easily could have been continued as our allies in this game but 343 axed them.

The remodeling of the elites as having orange scaly skin made me cringe, how could they change that after all the games? And wearing those armor vests? Its embarassing. The jackals have changed and grunts don’t even sound or look like grunts.

The relationship between the chief and cortana has been changed to an almost romantic one where as in the other games they are like close partners like two squad members not lovers this was painful to watch especially at the end.

Weapons and body’s disappear this is just poor. On legendary you can even run back to load up all you get is an empty battleground. This is new. Not to mention the invisible barriers I always encounter even in easily reached places, ruins the feel of the game.

In halo 3 the monitor ( who has all the knowledge of the forerunners) tells us that we (humans) ARE forerunner this was a major thing in the story and 343 have just backspaced it and invented their own forerunners?

The chief talks too much. Never have I heard the chief spit so much pointless crap from his mouth, it is honestly weird to hear him talk so much throughout the campaign when he only has one liners in the other games ruined his feel as being tough and aware of the situation. He never used to have to ask questions. He already knew.

The graphics. Environment detail is out of this world but when a wraith fires at you or a covenant ship explodes I feel like I’m flashing back to halo CE graphics a big fire ball in the middle of separating blocks, very poorly done. Don’t even get me started on the wormholes.

There is more but I’ll start with that. I feel like this halo was deigned for the multiplayer crowd who aren’t huge halo story fans. I am a huge fan of the halo story that bungie created I got halo ce when it was released and got every game from then on as soon as they hit shelves then i waited 5 years for this game and my dissappointment is unmeasurable. Feedback on this would be great any other true halo fans feel as betrayed by 343 as I do?

Yes its like they stabbed me in the heart-its unbearable.

Your mistake, is that you thought HALO 4 was going to be a successor to HALO 3…and it was never designed to be that

What HALO 4 is, is a return to the series but a new return, with a new story, new way of telling that story using character fans know and love. And for this True HALO fan (me) they succeeded and delivered the best HALO story in the series yet

We dont know what has happened in the HALO world in the 4 years that the Chief was stranded in deep space, we dont know whats happened to the Covenant during that time to explain the changes we see from who we see in action in HALO 4

The new visual stylings look amazing, and again, its a reboot of the series being told in a new way, the 343i way.

The relationship between MC and Cortana has always been one of romance to a degree, Bungie even said, Cortana is every girlfriend you have ever had, their connection is more then a partnership, you know this because MC fought to get Cortana back from the Gravemind in HALO 3. So not sure why you think its suddenly changed. 343i simply took the next logical step from where Bungie left this relationship…and even with the ending to HALO 4, I dont think its the last of Cortana and the Chief either

The intention was give a more narrative story and making it more about the Chief then just his armour and being at war, even the closing video to the game shows his humanity, something he had almost lost during the HALO trilogy

I think you are being far too harsh, but every opinion is subjective so fair enough, but please dont think you speak for all True HALO fans, just speak for yourself

I totally agree with you on every point.

Btw I hate it when vehicles like the banshee and the phantom explodes and there is a small wreck piece left. And the fast despawn of weapons and corpses.

“True Halo fans” is subjective. You are no less a “true” fan than someone who likes Halo 4.

The reason why the Elites attacked Chief is because they were rebels, which is why they were with the Covenant.

I haven’t played Campaign on a Halo game in a year or two, so I couldn’t remember what the Elites looked like on H3 or Reach but I thought they looked normal.

I do agree though, it was weird hearing Chief talk so much lol. I didn’t really like how they showed half his face though. Makes it more interesting and mysterious when he takes his helmet off and the camera looks away from him.

I didn’t really notice much of what you said about the battleground disappearing and invisible barriers. :frowning:

The Campign was quite fun and enjoyable but too easy on Legendary and short. Took me less than 5 hours, I think. The graphics were amazing and some of the special features such as shadows over clouds on the first or second mission were awesome

A lot of players are complaining about MP. I haven’t played online yet, so I won’t say much about it. It’s probably not the same as offline custom games, but I enjoyed playing.

Every game that has been recently released has been complained about lol.

Halo 4 is miles better than Halo 3.

Halo 3 had horrible framerate issues that make it unbearable to play not to mention the slew of other problems with the game. I’m pretty sure that anyone that has played since CE(LAN or PC) or Halo 2 online would agree that Halo 3 really wasn’t a good game. The go to weapon in Halo 3 is the BR. An inconsistent projectile BR with massive spread in a game with extremely choppy framerate and massive amounts of aim acceleration. What even sounds fun about that? It didn’t add skill to the BR it turned it into a serious random factor failure that was only good in hosts hands or CQC distances. Halo 3 was a very very bad game that featured the worst gunplay and movement in entire the series.

Since the OP was more about campaign I’d like to respectfully disagree. They are both decent and I wouldn’t really put neither ahead of each other. Ever since CE and Halo 2 all the campaigns to me felt kinda rushed. They are still decent but they are very short and not really that entertaining to me anymore. To be honest it’s hard to have a good storyline in an FPS. Halo does a good enough job. Either way after playing Halo 4’s campaign multiple times now I can safely say it’s at least pretty decent. The only thing I like better about Halo 3’s campaign was the music.

I’m going to read your post in a second, but this is a reply to the title.

“True fans.” If you define fans of this game and members of this community as “Fans” and “true fans” you’re looking at this wrong.

If someone likes the game in a way that is different than the way you like it, it doesn’t make them any less of a fan. People are allowed to like what they like, that doesn’t mean you are a “true” fan and they aren’t.

All you “true” fans give me a definition of what that is, and why you like Halo. What are the odds that they will be exactly the same?

Now, to read your OP.

I know I speak for myself I was only asking for the opinion of other true halo fans.

Generally when you name a game something 4 is is a successor to something 3, they didn’t start a new story they continued it in the exact same place it left off. If they were going to create a new game call it something else like Halo: Requiem for example to differentiate it from the halo 3 story. They didn’t. That means it was a direct successor.

To quote cortana A lot CAN happen in four years but when you occupy half the story line of a game developing the covenant into something more than a moving target you cant ditch, its not fair to the fans of the covenant. In particular fans of the elites.

Saying that the relationship between the chief and cortana hasn’t been made more sentimental is absurd. Bungie successfully portrayed that relationship without getting “sappy” 343 failed to do this.

I however respect your opinion and am glad you got more satisfaction from the game than I did.

Why halo 4 betrayed “this particular” true fan would have been a more relevant title, agreed.

My apologies.

You used the “true halo fan” garbage.

That seriously diminishes the effectiveness of your post.

> Why halo 4 betrayed “this particular” true fan would have been a more relevant title, agreed.
>
> My apologies.

You can always edit the thread title from your OP. :slight_smile:

> The relationship between the chief and cortana has been changed to an almost romantic one where as in the other games they are like close partners like two squad members not lovers this was painful to watch especially at the end.

I thought the ending was the most weird/nonsensical part of any game/film/book story I know of

> Your mistake, is that you thought HALO 4 was going to be a successor to HALO 3…and it was never designed to be that
>
> What HALO 4 is, is a return to the series but a new return, with a new story, new way of telling that story using character fans know and love. And for this True HALO fan (me) they succeeded and delivered the best HALO story in the series yet
>
> We dont know what has happened in the HALO world in the 4 years that the Chief was stranded in deep space, we dont know whats happened to the Covenant during that time to explain the changes we see from who we see in action in HALO 4
>
> The new visual stylings look amazing, and again, its a reboot of the series being told in a new way, the 343i way.
>
> The relationship between MC and Cortana has always been one of romance to a degree, Bungie even said, Cortana is every girlfriend you have ever had, their connection is more then a partnership, you know this because MC fought to get Cortana back from the Gravemind in HALO 3. So not sure why you think its suddenly changed. 343i simply took the next logical step from where Bungie left this relationship…and even with the ending to HALO 4, I dont think its the last of Cortana and the Chief either
>
> The intention was give a more narrative story and making it more about the Chief then just his armour and being at war, even the closing video to the game shows his humanity, something he had almost lost during the HALO trilogy
>
> I think you are being far too harsh, but every opinion is subjective so fair enough, but please dont think you speak for all True HALO fans, just speak for yourself

Well said :slight_smile:

> Bare with me here, this is a great game in terms of first person shooter but as a successor to halo 3? I think not.
>
> Let me start on the covenant and in particular the elites. I have always been a fan of the elites always played as them in multiplayer and in this halo they are nothing more than a lack luster enemy. The elites were betrayed severely by the prophets which erased their faith they didn’t join with us to help defeat their elders they joined with us because they realized the human cause was right. They wouldn’t just turn back to being our enemy’s especially under the guidance of the arbiter ( a major character in halo 3 yet not even mentioned in halo 4) who was saved by the chief and saved the chief on a number of occasions. And especially seeing as the forerunner locations they worshipped were no longer holy to the elites, this would include requiem and the remaining halo rings they would have assisted humanity in their decommission. Elites easily could have been continued as our allies in this game but 343 axed them.

The elites in this game are storm covenant. They are a sect of covenant that still believe in the great journey, and worship the forruners and their artifacts. Now, I for one also like the elites and would love them to be in this game as playable characters, but they aren’t, which is unfortunate.

The Arbiter, along with various other characters from previous games will likely be mentioned in the next game, while chief is on earth (at least, I am assuming he is heading back to earth at the moment, because I am assuming that that is where they are holding cathrine halsey.

> The remodeling of the elites as having orange scaly skin made me cringe, how could they change that after all the games? And wearing those armor vests? Its embarassing. The jackals have changed and grunts don’t even sound or look like grunts.

Copyright. They couldn’t use the old designs because of copyright, hence why there was no MK V or ODST in the game as multiplayer armor.

> The relationship between the chief and cortana has been changed to an almost romantic one where as in the other games they are like close partners like two squad members not lovers this was painful to watch especially at the end.

That’s more of an opinion. Do remember that Cortana is the last member of cheifs squad that he knows is alive, and his last friend that he knows is alive.

So I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to let my last living friend die.

> Weapons and body’s disappear this is just poor. On legendary you can even run back to load up all you get is an empty battleground. This is new. Not to mention the invisible barriers I always encounter even in easily reached places, ruins the feel of the game.

Not exactly “new” bodies dissapeared in previous games as well, and it is to keep the game from loading to many things and losing framerate.

> In halo 3 the monitor ( who has all the knowledge of the forerunners) tells us that we (humans) ARE forerunner this was a major thing in the story and 343 have just backspaced it and invented their own forerunners?

Not forrunners, Reclaimers. We are the reclaimers, hence the title of the trilogy, the reclaimer trilogy.

> The chief talks too much. Never have I heard the chief spit so much pointless crap from his mouth, it is honestly weird to hear him talk so much throughout the campaign when he only has one liners in the other games ruined his feel as being tough and aware of the situation. He never used to have to ask questions. He already knew.

He was the only other person there, who else was going to fill the, what would have been, an empty void?

> The graphics. Environment detail is out of this world but when a wraith fires at you or a covenant ship explodes I feel like I’m flashing back to halo CE graphics a big fire ball in the middle of separating blocks, very poorly done. Don’t even get me started on the wormholes.

It’s been like that in every single halo game.

> There is more but I’ll start with that. I feel like this halo was deigned for the multiplayer crowd who aren’t huge halo story fans. I am a huge fan of the halo story that bungie created I got halo ce when it was released and got every game from then on as soon as they hit shelves then i waited 5 years for this game and my dissappointment is unmeasurable. Feedback on this would be great any other true halo fans feel as betrayed by 343 as I do?
>
> Just because we like multiplayer, doesn’t mean we aren’t Halo fans. Ok? The multiplayer is just as lackluster as everything else at the moment as well, with invisible barriers everywhere.

Halo 5 should be interesting. I read somewhere that 343i hired MMO people.

The monitor looks at the chief and says “You ARE forerunner”
I am aware that other times he calls him a reclaimer.

Thanks for letting me know about that copyright thing never knew.

As for the “storm covenant” thing if you go into waypoint 343 have put an explanation as to why the covenant are no longer allies and that reason is that they joined us to defeat the prophets and the brutes and now that that objective is complete we are at war again. Trust me I was praying for that to be the reason.

Just to clarify this wasn’t meant as a diss post on the game it’s a great shooter the story just let me down and I was curious if it did the same for others. The multiplayer seems okay to me at this point, just missing elites.

> > The elites in this game are storm covenant.<mark>They are a sect of covenant that still believe in the great journey, and worship the forruners and their artifacts</mark>. Now, I for one also like the elites and would love them to be in this game as playable characters, but they aren’t, which is unfortunate.
>
> Not entirely true. The Covenant and Forerunners were attacking each other at the start of the Campaign.
>
> Edit:Why weren’t they allowed to use ODSTs ect?

Did you read the terminals from CEA or any of the Kilo 5 books? They explain a bit more about the Storm Covenant.

> I know I speak for myself I was only asking for the opinion of other true halo fans.
>
> Generally when you name a game something 4 is is a successor to something 3, they didn’t start a new story they continued it in the exact same place it left off. If they were going to create a new game call it something else like Halo: Requiem for example to differentiate it from the halo 3 story. They didn’t. That means it was a direct successor.
>
> To quote cortana A lot CAN happen in four years but when you occupy half the story line of a game developing the covenant into something more than a moving target you cant ditch, its not fair to the fans of the covenant. In particular fans of the elites.
>
> Saying that the relationship between the chief and cortana hasn’t been made more sentimental is absurd. Bungie successfully portrayed that relationship without getting “sappy” 343 failed to do this.
>
> I however respect your opinion and am glad you got more satisfaction from the game than I did.

What is absurd is how you can know the original HALO games and not say that the Cortana/MC relationship was anything but sappy…its so clear and shown in many ways how “close” they are. When the Chief leaves Cortana behind in HALO 2, the first scenes of Halo 3 and then his quest to make good on his promise, to get Cortana back

Their relationship has always been likened to something romantic, and with the natural progression of the Rampancy storyline, what you have in HALO 4 is the death of Cortana, the loss that the Chief feels which is beautifully shown in the final cut scene of the Chief walking to have his armour removed.

If HALO 4 had just been about the Chief waking up and immediately going back into a war with the Covenant then it would not move the story or series forward at all, as a result of 343i story, we have a new enemy, new knowledge of the true history of what happened when the Forerunners first fired the HALO rings to defeat the Flood and now we have something quite special to look forward to on multiple levels. HALO 3 was about finishing that fight, thats what we did…HALO 4 is about something new

I also respect your opinion, its your own view of your own HALO experience, but using a term like “true HALO Fan” doesnt mean that your view of the games or the story is what makes you a true fan and anyone who doesnt agree any less of one