Why Halo 2 Brutes Are So Powerful

I don’t mind them too much myself, but a lot of people outright hate Brutes in Halo 2. The common criticism being that they are ‘bullet sponges.’ I’ve been closely observing Halo 2’s tag system, and came across the health tables for Brutes. As we all know, enemies have more health on Legendary, but with Brutes in particular, there is a slight inconsistency in regards to health tables.

• To put this into perspective, Master Chief has 100 health total on every difficulty (70 shields, 30 health.) This includes the Arbiter and all ‘minor’ elites.

The tags are as follows:

brute_major.char

• health on easy: 150- health on legendary: 200brute_captain.char
  • health on easy: 200- health on legendary: 250brute.char
  • health on easy: 175- health on legendary: 250There is no underscore next to this tag. I can assume that this is the Brute Minor, meaning that this is the most frequently encountered Brute. Well, ‘minor rank’ health figures on easy usually match the health figures in the (hmlt) model tag, because it’s the benchmark health stat for the enemy class, but to my disbelief, the model tag (brute.hlmt) says the base health is 150, expressed as 'Max Vitality."

What this is saying, is that not only are brute ‘minors’ stronger than majors on every difficulty, but ALL minor brutes on Legendary, are effectively Brute Captains. This is, without the Thunderstorm skull active.

Conclusion: Minors and Majors are swapped. Minors initially had 150 base health, and this was changed later on.

Holy -Yoink-, the amount of times I died to brutes on easy was insane

makes sense.
ugh, those darn guys at bingle

You think this is bad, you should see the health for Ultra Elites lol. They make brutes look frail.

never knew you could find what the health was.

That’s why I always have a Carbine and aim for the head with brutes lol

They came in later in the game, and so did more Councilors and Ultras.

when it gose berserk

or the dificulty

Not as fun to fight as Elites.

> 2535416460702175;10:
> Not as fun to fight as Elites.

On Heroic, of course… Elites win hands down in terms of fun, but considering the bulkiest Brute on Legendary only has 250 health, and Ultra Elites on Legendary have 420, I have to say Brutes are more fun on Legendary, in my honest opinion…

Brutes are almost no harder to kill; 2-shot kill with a Carbine, Fuel Rod gun, or Sword Lunge, and 4-shot kill with a Brute shot.

> 2535460843083983;11:
> > 2535416460702175;10:
> > Not as fun to fight as Elites.
>
>
> On Heroic, of course… Elites win hands down in terms of fun, but considering the bulkiest Brute on Legendary only has 250 health, and Ultra Elites on Legendary have 420, I have to say Brutes are more fun on Legendary, in my honest opinion…
>
> Brutes are almost no harder to kill; 2-shot kill with a Carbine, Fuel Rod gun, or Sword Lunge, and 4-shot kill with a Brute shot.

Hehe. 420.

I thought the elites were hard to beat then the brutes.

> 2533274852660538;6:
> That’s why I always have a Carbine and aim for the head with brutes lol

This guy

Brutes stay pumped with Red Bull 24/7

Super useful information! Thanks! this will help me plan encounters accordingly.

I’d argue that Brutes in Halo 2 were decidedly harder to fight against than those in 3. But that didn’t, IMHO, have so much to do with their health as it had with them deploying brute shots as though they were frickin’ machine guns…

> 2535460843083983;1:
> I don’t mind them too much myself, but a lot of people outright hate Brutes in Halo 2. The common criticism being that they are ‘bullet sponges.’ I’ve been closely observing Halo 2’s tag system, and came across the health tables for Brutes. As we all know, enemies have more health on Legendary, but with Brutes in particular, there is a slight inconsistency in regards to health tables.
>
> * To put this into perspective, Master Chief has 100 health total on every difficulty (70 shields, 30 health.) This includes the Arbiter and all ‘minor’ elites.
>
> The tags are as follows:
>
> brute_major.char
> - health on easy: 150
> - health on legendary: 200
> brute_captain.char
> - health on easy: 200
> - health on legendary: 250
> brute.char
> - health on easy: 175
> - health on legendary: 250
> There is no underscore next to this tag. I can assume that this is the Brute Minor, meaning that this is the most frequently encountered Brute. Well, ‘minor rank’ health figures on easy usually match the health figures in the (hmlt) model tag, because it’s the benchmark health stat for the enemy class, but to my disbelief, the model tag (brute.hlmt) says the base health is 150, expressed as 'Max Vitality."
>
> What this is saying, is that not only are brute ‘minors’ stronger than majors on every difficulty, but ALL minor brutes on Legendary, are effectively Brute Captains. This is, without the Thunderstorm skull active.
>
> Conclusion: Minors and Majors are swapped. Minors initially had 150 base health, and this was changed later on.

To be brief, this is why Brutes replaced Elites. Bigger, badder, harder to kill, and mean as hell

one punch in legendary can kill you

People hate the Halo 2 brutes because they prevent an experienced player from rushing, which is all people do these days. The Halo 2 brutes were best in terms of gameplay and universe depiction.