why gfwl needs to change

OK so i recently found out halo 2 pc is shutting down its multiplayer servers, at first i thought that there had been some sort of mistake, i mean its a pc game its designed to create a server that people connect through from an ip address right? so no matter what they turn off we would always be able to play, but no apparently games on GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE use the live service to manage the multiplayer games even if your running a dedicated server, so you can’t use multiplayer whenever live is down despite you having internet, some titles with steamworks integration have a console allowing you to just type in the ip address and play even if steam servers are down.

now i know what this is, this is planned obsolescence, the complete disregard for the longevity of the product being sold in hopes that you will buy the next one that they make.

halo 2 already has a CD key it can use for online certification so there was no point in adding live over the top of it.

in short live needs to change, after all when a game can be shut off after five years when people are still playing the original half life multiplayer from 1998, you know somethings wrong.

Microsoft Flight has stopped all updates.
Age of Empires Online has stopped all updates.
343 is shutting Halo 2 PC down.

GFWL is dying.

> Microsoft Flight has stopped all updates.
> Age of Empires Online has stopped all updates.
> 343 is shutting Halo 2 PC down.
>
> GFWL is dying.

This is so stupid.

One of my favorite games, Quake 3, still has many servers even though it is a game from 1999!

I bought Halo 2 PC 3 years ago with the intent to play online, and when I found out there are custom maps I was even more excited. But now 343 are killing a game that has some of the best map makers ever. Halo CE for the PC also has great maps. Random people making maps that are superior to anything 343 has ever made. This is why people are so upset with the servers shutting down!