Why even bother with MLG?

I want to know why 343 is giving MLG such attention with Halo 4. There has to be some sort of end goal, yet it appears it has nothing to do with actually pleasing, or working with the competitive community. At E3, the pros played standing up, on 50in plasma TV’s while being interviewed. That is not a good way to playtest a game. Furthermore they had limited playtime with a limited section of the game. So why even bother with MLG? It could have been anyone up there. They can’t even give you good feedback, because they haven’t come close to reaching their potential with the game.

It is like 343 is giving the competitive community a false sense of comfort by using MLG as a way to say “Look, we had MLG involved in all sorts of stuff with Halo 4 pre-release.” 343, you have to actually use the full potential of MLG to get any sort of good feedback for the competitive community. This means, extensive playtesting of the entire sandbox, and actually taking their criticism seriously.

Elamite and Neighbor both just said how the maps were not built with competitive play in mind, yet you claimed the exact opposite. There is obviously a huge disconnect right there, and it is up to you to use MLG to understand why.

If you are going to parade this interaction with MLG around, make it actually mean something. Actually use MLG to their full potential, or you might as well not even bother.

They just went to MLG to attempt to please the competitive community. They’re not going to listen to anything they have to say.

This is the way they hope to keep their loyal fans and gain the noob friendly group that plays CoD. They’ll soon see that it’s not going to turn out in their favor.

343 is “parading this interaction with MLG” around?

What?

The MLG Halo community is as much a part of the Halo community as a whole as everyone else.

I just find it enjoyable that 343 probably did invite those players with the good intent of getting actual feedback, but that doesn’t matter if that same feedback isn’t something that goes along with 343’s view of Halo. To say that Adrift is a competitive map is from the sound of it a slap to Wizard’s face.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> They just went to MLG to attempt to please the competitive community. They’re not going to listen to anything they have to say.
>
> This is the way they hope to keep their loyal fans and gain the noob friendly group that plays CoD. They’ll soon see that it’s not going to turn out in their favor.

im not competitive and I still are a masssive fan and I hate COD and not every loyal fan is an MLG wannabie plus half the casuals (like myself) would kick your -Yoink-

The conditions at E3 was understandable, it was E3, so I don’t know why your complaining, and I think it was good of 343i to even invite them. Also I’m sure MLG will get more time with it before launch. In the end though I personally don’t care about their opinions as MLG plays a certain style thats just about different then everyone else. Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate them and I like watching MLG matches, it just their feedback isn’t going to alter my opinion. I think right now Halo 4 looks great, some things need tweaking though.

I honestly could care less what MLG pros think of Halo 4. Within a week of the games release they will be playing custom gametypes that are more balanced in their eyes anyway.

I don’t think Halo 4 will be good for MLG.

This is why.

I think 343 couldn’t care less about MLG’s definition of competitive gameplay and are just gonna make a game they like.

> This is why.

Good look and clearly demonstrates 343i is taking into account the feed back they are getting.

You are NOT the whole competitive community, so stop trying to speak on everyone’s behave!

The REAL competitive players -The ones who make a living off of playing it. (a.k.a NOT you) liked the game they were playing! I didn’t hear one negative thing about Halo 4 from them. They were playing, enjoying and loving Halo 4 as it was.

I understand you are entitled to your own opinion, and that is fine with me. But please stop trying to speak for everyone.

> You are NOT the whole competitive community, so stop trying to speak on everyone’s behave!
>
> The REAL competitive players -The ones who make a living off of playing it. (a.k.a NOT you) liked the game they were playing! I didn’t hear one negative thing about Halo 4 from them. They were playing, enjoying and loving Halo 4 as it was.
>
> I understand you are entitled to your own opinion, and that is fine with me. But please stop trying to speak for everyone.

Someone should perhaps do a bit more research?

>

MLG Wannabie? Having an appreciation for MLG doesn’t make you a 12 year old. Those idiots you see online with tags like xXHerpyDerpXx are not anything to do with MLG or the competitive community. If you took time to look around on the MLG forums you’d probably be very surprised at the level of maturity compared with these boards.

Then you finish your post by stating that you’re a casual then challenging the other guys skill level. Casual players are the guys who play a little and don’t care beyond that, since you obviously play enough to have started a forum account and come here to post you’re not a casual player and challenging that guys skill level makes you competitive.

> > This is why.
>
> Good look and clearly demonstrates 343i is taking into account the feed back they are getting.

They simply said thanks. Elamite and Neighbor clearly said halo is going in the direction of a more noob friendly or casual style gameplay. I doubt 343 is going to massively change halo 4 and make it competitive like halo 1 and halo 2.

Why bother with MLG?

For the ladies, of course.

> im not competitive and I still are a masssive fan and I hate COD and not every loyal fan is an MLG wannabie plus half the casuals (like myself) would kick your -Yoink!-

>implying people who play a game competitively are worse at it than those who play it causally

New York Yankees V.S. Bob’s Country Bunker Softball Team

I wonder who wins…

Agreed, listening to feedback and actually responding to competitive feedback like what Valve is doing with CS:GO is a completely different thing altogether. Whether 343 will respond to the feedback, has yet to seen.

The Halo council forums, is probably the best place to get in depth feedback at the moment, I know most of the guys there want H4 to be the best it can be

I didn’t think much of MLG for a long time but actually mortal kombat tournaments changed me on that, players with skill are rewarded and its competitive like crazy. Players have real noteriety and a tangible level of skill. it’s good to watch the best in the game and see how you compare to them. NetherRealm studios worked on MK9 and built it with tournament play in mind and for the first time ever I learned a juggle combo. it took months of practice to land consecutively but if even one punch gets through your defenses I can land a 38% combo with scorpion and I learned that from watching a player called Slips. I’m not up on the halo 4 news but if they are working with MLG then I’ll be following halo tournaments the way I do MK9, so bravo for 343 working with MLG if they really truely are in fact doing so

> > > This is why.
> >
> > Good look and clearly demonstrates 343i is taking into account the feed back they are getting.
>
> They simply said thanks. Elamite and Neighbor clearly said halo is going in the direction of a more noob friendly or casual style gameplay. I doubt 343 is going to massively change halo 4 and make it competitive like halo 1 and halo 2.

Your right all he said was thanks but do you really think 343i isn’t talking about the feedback. Also Elamite and Neighbor’s feedback was based on playing infinity slayer which isn’t a thing they would go for anyway.