Why doesn't the UNSC take Requiem by force?

In the opening war games cut scene they show an entire unsc armada heading for Requiem, in the opening video for Spartan Ops they show the Infinity tear apart the covenant ships that dare go up against it. So I am just confused why don’t they eliminate the Covenant carriers, and then send in the ground forces and take the planet?

If the Covenant are too strong to eliminate then why are they allowing the Infinity to just hang out in orbit above Requiem? I’m pretty sure Lasky is an incompetent commander because this standoff doesn’t make any sense to me, will someone please explain to me why the UNSC is allowing the covenant to maintain the planet Requiem.

Between the frothing religious fanatical aliens and homicidal kill droids roaming Requiem’s surface, a straight up assault would be foolish. Besides, is it smart to risk sending the Infinity back into Requiem? Smaller scale missions that surgically strike the Covenant and Promethean holdings make more sense to me then pulling a Zerg Rush.

that would take a while

We’ve already seen what could happen if Infinity dispatches all of its elite forces (remember in the latest Episode of Spartan Ops when Infinity was boarded and had to recall all planet-side fireteams?).

Sure, Infinity is one giant ship, but it still does not hold merely enough soldiers required for a planet-wide invasion. Also, don’t forget about the Prometheans. The Storm Covenant are less of a threat compared to the Prometheans.

Furthermore, perhaps the motive behind the Second Campaign of Requiem isn’t occupation of the planet but rather intel retrieval or sabotage.

> Between the frothing religious fanatical aliens and homicidal kill droids roaming Requiem’s surface, a straight up assault would be foolish. Besides, is it smart to risk sending the Infinity back into Requiem? Smaller scale missions that surgically strike the Covenant and Promethean holdings make more sense to me then pulling a Zerg Rush.

In the Last episode of Spartan Ops the Infinity was boarded. Why haven’t they eliminated the Covenant crafts capable of space travel at least? I think the first thing they would have done is to take command of the skies in and around Requiem.

Well, considering they have a Forerunner artifact that has already shown the Promethean’s ability to contact and interfere with the Forerunner and Human tech controlling Infinity, it seems like a good idea to not drive their largest ship directly into the heart of enemy territory until they sort that out.

> In the Last episode of Spartan Ops the Infinity was boarded. Why haven’t they eliminated the Covenant crafts capable of space travel at least? I think the first thing they would have done is to take command of the skies in and around Requiem.

They could be retreating and returning or fleeing into planet. The inside of Requiem is enormous and I would not surprised if there was a trap for just the occasion of the Infinity getting side.

> We’ve already seen what could happen if Infinity dispatches all of its elite forces (remember in the latest Episode of Spartan Ops when Infinity was boarded and had to recall all planet-side fireteams?).
>
> Sure, Infinity is one giant ship, but it still does not hold merely enough soldiers required for a planet-wide invasion. Also, don’t forget about the Prometheans. The Storm Covenant are less of a threat compared to the Prometheans.

I agree that it seems the Storm Covenant are not really capable of putting up much of a fight. And Spartan 117 single handidly stormed the Promethean base ship, and slaughtered any who stood in his way, when he stopped the Didact. So the Prometheans are a threat but they don’t seem to have the capabilities to control the skies around Requiem. If the UNSC controls the skies they can bomb the Covenant into submission.

> Well, considering they have a Forerunner artifact that has already shown the Promethean’s ability to contact and interfere with the Forerunner and Human tech controlling Infinity, it seems like a good idea to not drive their largest ship directly into the heart of enemy territory until they sort that out.

Where is the rest of the UNSC fleet then? They could send in one of the smaller ships. You would think that taking this planet would be a priority considering the assault that just occurred on Earth.

> > Well, considering they have a Forerunner artifact that has already shown the Promethean’s ability to contact and interfere with the Forerunner and Human tech controlling Infinity, it seems like a good idea to not drive their largest ship directly into the heart of enemy territory until they sort that out.
>
> Where is the rest of the UNSC fleet then? They could send in one of the smaller ships. You would think that taking this planet would be a priority considering the assault that just occurred on Earth.

There could be other things going on you know. The insurrectionists are still active and the former Covenant Loyalists are likely to cause trouble. And even then, I doubt 5-6 years is enough to get humanity up to great fighting spirit after a 20+ year war.

> > Well, considering they have a Forerunner artifact that has already shown the Promethean’s ability to contact and interfere with the Forerunner and Human tech controlling Infinity, it seems like a good idea to not drive their largest ship directly into the heart of enemy territory until they sort that out.
>
> Where is the rest of the UNSC fleet then? They could send in one of the smaller ships. You would think that taking this planet would be a priority considering the assault that just occurred on Earth.

Yeah, and remember what happened the last time Infinity assaulted Requiem? MC had to bail them out after they crashed and were trapped there. Remember, they are there to study it, not control it just yet.

Try telling that to the Prometheans. Not a single one has been killed. Their mind just gets sent right back to the place where their bodies are made and the process begins again. As long as Requiem can continue to create bodies for the Knights minds to reside in, than the Prometheans can probably take the Infinity over completely in the off chance Lasky gets the balls to go head first into the planet.

> There could be other things going on you know. The insurrectionists are still active and the former Covenant Loyalists are likely to cause trouble. And even then, I doubt 5-6 years is enough to get humanity up to great fighting spirit after a 20+ year war.

You make a good point, I am unsure what is going in regards to the strength of the UNSC military at this point. But Halo 4 gave me the impression that not only has humanity recovered from the war, but they are also stronger and more advanced than ever before.

The first minute of that will show how I came to that impression. The Spartan Ops episodes keep showing how the Covenant are a threat on Requiem, but it seems like the Covenant are out gunned and just hiding in caves, but the UNSC is content with just leaving them there and having small skirmishes with their hardcore spartan teams instead of just removing the covenant from the planet. And in order for the UNSC to study the planet, it would make sense for the removal of these alien hostiles to take precedence over hunting down artifacts.

> Try telling that to the Prometheans. Not a single one has been killed. Their mind just gets sent right back to the place where their bodies are made and the process begins again. As long as Requiem can continue to create bodies for the Knights minds to reside in, than the Prometheans can probably take the Infinity over completely in the off chance Lasky gets the balls to go head first into the planet.

I get the impression that the Prometheans aren’t all that numerous at this point. When the Infinity was trapped inside Requiem during the campaign, it was able to withstand the might of the Prometheans and the Covenant that were on Requiem. And now that the Infinity has returned fully equipped to deal with the threat on the planet, it would seem that they would be able to handle anything thrown at them by the Prometheans.

And on a side note, who is controlling the Prometheans at this point? Is it that Adama guy?

> The first minute of that will show how I came to that impression. The Spartan Ops episodes keep showing how the Covenant are a threat on Requiem, but it seems like the Covenant are out gunned and just hiding in caves, but the UNSC is content with just leaving them there and having small skirmishes with their hardcore spartan teams instead of just removing the covenant from the planet. And in order for the UNSC to study the planet, it would make sense for the removal of these alien hostiles to take precedence over hunting down artifacts.

Trying to remove a heavily entrenched enemy isn’t easy, one must look at history to see that. More so since they have access to the Prometheans and Requiem’s portal technology and all of it’s defenses.

> > Try telling that to the Prometheans. Not a single one has been killed. Their mind just gets sent right back to the place where their bodies are made and the process begins again. As long as Requiem can continue to create bodies for the Knights minds to reside in, than the Prometheans can probably take the Infinity over completely in the off chance Lasky gets the balls to go head first into the planet.
>
> I get the impression that the Prometheans aren’t all that numerous at this point. When the Infinity was trapped inside Requiem during the campaign, it was able to withstand the might of the Prometheans and the Covenant that were on Requiem. And now that the Infinity has returned fully equipped to deal with the threat on the planet, it would seem that they would be able to handle anything thrown at them by the Prometheans.
>
> And on a side note, who is controlling the Prometheans at this point? Is it that Adama guy?

Thats the big mystery at this point. Either the Didact is somehow on Requiem, or there is another intelligence controlling them and manufacturing bodies for them.

but honestly I think that if the Prometheans really wanted to, that they could teleport a cluster of those giant Ion Cannons close to the infinity and burn it to a crisp. However, something on Requiem is contacting the Forerunner tech inside the Infinity. Obviously somehting on Requiem doesnt want the ship destroyed just yet.

but no, Jul Mdama is in no way in command of the Prometheans.

Your fighting a force that has established almost complete dominance over the planet and can actully infiltrate your ship or any base of defense at whim. no way he could beat a force that can attack you from basically anywhere not even with a 3 mile long ship.

> Your fighting a force that has established almost complete dominance over the planet and can actully infiltrate your ship or any base of defense at whim. no way he could beat a force that can attack you from basically anywhere not even with a 3 mile long ship.

But they already did, during the Halo 4 campaign. Cortana mentions that taking out the Didact would be a simple task if the Infinity just came in and helped, instead of running back to Earth and giving chief a pelican and having him assault the Didact all by himself.

It’s a research mission.

> Between the frothing religious fanatical aliens and homicidal kill droids roaming Requiem’s surface, a straight up assault would be foolish. Besides, is it smart to risk sending the Infinity back into Requiem? Smaller scale missions that surgically strike the Covenant and Promethean holdings make more sense to me then pulling a Zerg Rush.

Yeah, attacking en masse has never been the UNSC’s style. That trademark belongs to the Covenant, which in many situations is their downfall. For the most part, the UNSC has always been about tactical advantages and swiping out the carpet from under their enemy’s feet.