why doesn't halo 4 deserve a beta?

From what i’ve seen so far Halo 4 is a big step in a new direction of Halo. I’m confused as to why there will not be a beta…a bunch of new weapons, new gameplay, new abilities…it seems almost absolutely needed at least for mass testing purposes, why not???

343i has a closed beta going on.

Because public betas take time out of development. In addition, the version we often receive are close to finalized, and act as more of a demo and a test of netcode than anything. It really doesn’t teach the developer as much as we like to think.

they didn’t “want to waste time” with a public Beta, although they had an internal beta

> they didn’t “want to waste time” with a public Beta, although they had an internal beta

Internal betas and public betas are completely different.

3/4 of the people that play Beta’s play them just for the hell of it and don’t even give feedback so a public Beta would be pointless in a way.

Because they’ve decided to potentially sacrifice polish to release the game faster. It’s a gamble. While they won’t have to spend the time setting up a public beta, they also won’t receive the benefit of having the game played as thoroughly as it would be, effectively squashing bugs and bringing balancing issues to light.

How many people want to play Betas to bug test and go through with it?

Very little i might add. It’s just that people want to play the game early. That’s all there is to it.

A demo of Halo 4 with a final build would be much better than a beta IMO. Though the chances of having a demo is about as slim as having ME 3 endings that make sense and provide closure without relying on space magic.

> How many people want to play Betas to bug test and go through with it?
>
>
> Very little i might add. It’s just that people want to play the game early. That’s all there is to it.
>
>
> A demo of Halo 4 with a final build would be much better than a beta IMO. Though the chances of having a demo is about as slim as having ME 3 endings that make sense and provide closure without relying on space magic.

More than just wanting to play the game, I’d like a beta to make sure the AAs are really as balanced as they think they will be. Rather than finding out they’re totally broken when the game releases, and taking them 3 months to patch a game that should’ve been fixed with a beta. A clear hypothetical situation, but completely plausible.

> > How many people want to play Betas to bug test and go through with it?
> >
> >
> > Very little i might add. It’s just that people want to play the game early. That’s all there is to it.
> >
> >
> > A demo of Halo 4 with a final build would be much better than a beta IMO. Though the chances of having a demo is about as slim as having ME 3 endings that make sense and provide closure without relying on space magic.
>
> More than just wanting to play the game, I’d like a beta to make sure the AAs are really as balanced as they think they will be. Rather than finding out they’re totally broken when the game releases, and taking them 3 months to patch a game that should’ve been fixed with a beta. A clear hypothetical situation, but completely plausible.

Good point and while i am not dismissing what you just said (in fact i agree), it’s really up to the developer to take in said feedback or ignore it. What may appear to Overpowered or useless to the gamer is quite different to the developers and may or may not be changed later.

The thing is not everyone is going to go in and make check list on what’s balanced, what’s broken, and what needs to be buffed in a console Beta. You’d be surprised how many Halo players are unaware of forums. It’s hard to get good feedback when most of your players just play the game and not state their concerns on balance issues or bugs.

Those who provide the feedback (let’s take the Halo community) have conflicting opinions that make it very hard to determine what players want. Sometimes i think that we don’t know what we want even though convinced our selves that we do though i maybe just being crazy here.

I don’t doubt what good public betas can do (though it can be costly). It’s just that my view is jaded after playing the Reach beta and how unpolished the final package felt in terms of balance. I felt that whatever feedback was given during and after the beta, it was ultimately ignored and this can be seen in the final product with radical changes the TU introduced to Reach.

They can’t be bothered and they’re worried that a free beta would displease some people so they won’t sell as many.

every halo that has had a public beta has actually ended up worse due to the way known problems were usually corrected with fixes that ignore the problem and break something else.

this time around 343 intends to make bad gameplay an integral part of the Not Halo: Reach 2 gameplay from the getgo, and have preloaded it with so many bad ideas no beta fixes could possibly make it worse.

> every halo that has had a public beta has actually ended up worse due to the way known problems were usually corrected with fixes that ignore the problem and break something else.
>
> this time around 343 intends to make bad gameplay an integral part of the Not Halo: Reach 2 gameplay from the getgo, and have preloaded it with so many bad ideas no beta fixes could possibly make it worse.

Exactly.