Why doesn't Guilty Spark combat the flood?

The purpose of the laser eye from the monitors is to combat the flood. While you are with 343 GS… Specifically on the Library why doesn’t 343GS use his laser eyeball to help you out. That level sucks and could have been a ton better if that jerk just helped out a little bit.

Because he doesn’t have a laser eyeball.

At least not as far as Halo 1 is concerned. Thankfully.

Because Spark is completely insane. And possibly also because there’s an entire Frigate’s worth of other humans he can recruit if Chief dies.

I still am not entirely convinced that Guilty Spark was insane or rampant. I think that he started to become rampant, but was able to catch it in time to take countermeasures. I’d put my vote for Halo: Combat Evolved’s early stage of canon and the lack of concept development for the Monitors weapon systems.

Fitted with a laser eye and force field capability sometime after Tartarus’ death.

That’s the likely scenario because he doesn’t use either of those in H2.

> Fitted with a laser eye and force field capability sometime after Tartarus’ death.
>
> That’s the likely scenario because he doesn’t use either of those in H2.

This is disproven by the last terminal in Halo: CEA. Spark uses his weapon almost immediately after arriving at the Threshold mine.

Because he doesn’t have to. Why waste all that energy and possibly cause damage if not needed?

Cuz he’s lazy.

I had thought that the AI that was corrupted to help the Flood had introduced a virus into the Rings to preserve the flood under the guise of ‘study’, and that’s why the ring has limited defenses against it. (Like just teleporting all of it into a decaying solar orbit or flash burning the biosphere of the ring.)

He probably was testing the chief. In the terminals, with the initial scan of the pillar of autumn, he does come across what appears to be files of the master chief.

Once 343gs came to meet him, he probably wanted to test his worthiness to follow protocol.

> I had thought that the AI that was corrupted to help the Flood had introduced a virus into the Rings to preserve the flood under the guise of ‘study’, and that’s why the ring has limited defenses against it. (Like just teleporting all of it into a decaying solar orbit or flash burning the biosphere of the ring.)

Nope. Mendicant Bias couldn’t touch the Rings. The Flood were kept for study because they came from outside the galaxy, and the Halos only killed Flood that were inside the galaxy. It wouldn’t matter how well they worked if the Flood simply returned to the Milky Way again.

> > Fitted with a laser eye and force field capability sometime after Tartarus’ death.
> >
> > That’s the likely scenario because he doesn’t use either of those in H2.
>
> This is disproven by the last terminal in Halo: CEA. Spark uses his weapon almost immediately after arriving at the Threshold mine.

In that case, he didn’t consider his installation that much of a big deal…

He has used it 3 times other than his fight against Chief:

-Threshold when attacked by Jackals
-when meeting up with Chief again in H3
-against enemies at the light bridge on The Covenant

Only 1 of these were for self preservation/defense. The other 2 were urgent times: worried about Cortana, worried about the Ark.

He only uses the laser aggressively if Chief betrays his allies at rally point alpha on The Ark.

So why didn’t he use it to help Chief in the Installation 04 Library? He had Sentinels and obviously trusted their capabilities (as seen on Two Betrayals where he dedicates 4 Sentinels to the task of killing Chief)? I can understand why he didn’t use his beam on The Maw but why not on The Library, where the Sentinels were in small numbers and losing in the fight to contain?

Also, why didn’t he use it at the fight against Tartarus?

It seems he’s just passive (lazy doesn’t cut it because he was active compared to the red eyed monitor).

Well, when considering the Library, he seems pretty relaxed throughout the entire ordeal. He’s humming and sort of has a “skip” feeling in his movements. He didn’t seem alert at all. It was as if he felt Master Chief had everything completely under control.

One word: Gameplay.

Plus Bungie hadn’t thought about giving Spark a laser until Halo 3. Anniversary is a remake of Combat Evolved that is true to the original and 343 Industries wasn’t going to change something as important as that.

Because protocol did not dictate action!

I thought it had to do with protocol. He knows all of the ring’s secrets, and therefore is more important than the various worker-drone-like sentinals. I’m not saying he thinks he’s better than them and has an ego like that, but simply put he should be protected, and if he attacks the flood they’re more likely to attack him back instead of the other sentinals trying to draw attention.

Because Bungie hadn’t thought of it until Halo 3.

You can sputter, stutter and try to make excuses for it all you want, but that is the answer. Besides, Guilty Spark could have used it in the Control Room, and PoA’s Engine Room to stop John.

> Because Spark is completely insane. And possibly also because there’s an entire Frigate’s worth of other humans he can recruit if Chief dies.

He only used it when it really threatened him or his interests, otherwise he doesn’t bother.

That would be why he doesn’t help in fighting the Brutes on the Ark, and why he didn’t help with the Flood.