Why does Halo 2 Classic get no love?

Is Halo 2 actually anyone’s favorite game? Matchmaking on MCC seems pretty empty even compared to CE. SWAT is thriving, other 4v4 and FFA are decent but BTB is dead outside of peak hours. When I do manage to find BTB, half the people leave. 343 has given the game no attention outside of bug fixes. What’s up with this?

I sold my Xbox in 2003, before Halo 2 XBL days, but everyone around me was playing it, so I understood the culture. Why was it so popular back then but dead now? Matchmaking and the friend system was revolutionary, sure, but would it have been as popular if there had been more games competing like there is today?

6th gen is my favorite era of games. I’m super intrigued by Halo 2 because it was a major part of that time. I just missed out because online play was still so new that I guess I didn’t understand it.

7 Likes

Simply put, Halo 2 is very punishing to players who did not play it back in the day. A combination of Button Combos, to easily abusable Spawns and some weapons just being really easy to die to if you don’t play carefully. The game has aged well enough, but most people would rather play Halo 3 or Reach as those games were bigger and more popular(not to mention better balanced and less buggy). While the game is many peoples favorite Halo Title, it doesn’t get the influx of players like Halo 3 and Reach.

TLDR: Halo 2’s Skill Gap is artificially large making the game less fun to people who haven’t played a lot of Halo 2.

1 Like

As much as I like Halo 2 I can’t stand the fast-shooting exploits and refuse to abuse them. The game simply cannot be played as it was played back when it was popular with the way it is in MCC.

Believe me, it’s my favorite game. I’m looking forward to playing it more when it’s in the CGB, otherwise I kind of don’t think of it as available. I hear the Halo 2 PC “Cartographer” mod still has somewhat of an online community but idk.

2 Likes

Yeah 343 has something personal against the game. It’s the only thing I can think of.

1 Like

Literally you have no explanation to what he said. Everything you said was just personal opinion and did not explain anything about why they won’t give it any love. Just because you sucked at the game doesn’t mean thousands of people don’t want the game to play as it did on the Xbox. Man people just like to hear themselves talk.

You must not know how to use the button combos if you say you refuse to use them. In contrast if you do know how to use them and refuse to do so in a game that has been identified by it’s button combos then you are not very smart.

Okay lets break down the things you said vs what I said. First lets clarify something, Halo 2 Classic is my most played game in MCC, I have competed in multiple Tournaments for the game, and its my overall favorite MP in the series. I DO NOT suck at Halo 2, lol. As to the point about 343 not giving the game any love, I complained about it plenty in MANY forum posts on old Waypoint, but the reason why the population is low is exactly as I stated. When people like me play and Quad Shot and BXR them constantly and Pocket Sword the entire match, they simply dont want to play anymore, its not fun unless you played back in the day or drop HUNDREDS of hours in to it. If I was new I would never touch Halo 2 and go to Halo 3 the easier younger brother to Halo 2. Why 343 wont give it love is most likely boiled down to the fact that Bungie developed the game in a rush, and there is a metric S**T TON of issues with the code that any additions or changes to will BREAK Halo 2 Classic. 343 has most likely determined it to be a waste of time and money to add anything to Halo 2 that might break it. I would love nothing more than Halo 2 to play exactly like it did on XboxLIVE back in the day except have skins and visor colors, but thats a dream world.

TLDR: The first post explained why people didnt want to play and why pop was low, which was the first and large part of the OPs questions. The second post has explained that again, and why 343i ignores Halo 2 Classic.

None of what I said was an opinion. Halo 2 has all of the following, Abusable Spawns, Busted Animations and Bugs that lead to players using Button Combos to win(Hi I do this), and is over all more buggy than Halo 3 and Reach which had much better development cycles. The games Skill Gap is artificially large because of Combos that are not intended or apart of the intended sandbox.

6 Likes

It’s my 2nd favorite Halo, though I don’t have the skill I have in CE because I haven’t been playing it for a decade and a half like I have with CE. Despite that, I enjoy playing it. It has some of my favorite map design, the H2 BR is immensely satisfying, and it introduced some of my favorite things in Halo, such as wieldable swords, dual wielding, playable Elites.

But finding games in it is hard. I usually have it on when I’m searching, but it comes up even less than CE.

I think the lack of attention from 343 is mostly due to the game being buggy in a way that makes altering it difficult.

And as others have said, it’s an incredibly punishing game if you don’t know how to play it well. I’d say even more than CE, which I feel like has a more easily closable skill gap (though plenty of tricks there, too). Playing it against skilled players can be a drag, especially if they’re coordinating as a team. And if someone like me who likes the game feels that way about it, just imagine how grating it must for people who are even more casual at it . . .

2 Likes

Halo 2 is pretty much tied with Halo 3 for my favourite game just due to how good Halo 2’s story was and the gameplay was pretty much the same as Halo 3 minus equipment. Also as much as I like Halo 3’s map design, Halo 2 I found has the more unique maps like Backwash, Elongation, Coagulation, Turf, District, among a few more. I’m not saying Halo 3 doesn’t unique maps either as it definitely does, just not as much at least to me.

The only downside though with Halo 2 for me is that I wasn’t able to play it online back in the day so a lot of times I end up getting destroyed by all the button combos and exploits people are able to pull off that I can’t, nor really care to learn as that’s not how I want to play. If I’m playing with friends or people who play the game normally I usually have a lot of fun, but that’s pretty rare which sucks.

1 Like

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the input. Halo’s 2 buggy nature makes a lot of sense but I find that gives it charm lol. To me, H2 gameplay felt similar but less refined than H3, so maybe that has something to do with it? I’m trash with BR but I see the appeal + H2 has amazing maps. I’m gonna use MCC for H2C to get my SWAT fix. Project Cartographer has a big population, and Xlink Kai is popular too, so I’m gonna resort to those for harder to find modes. Hopefully the Custom Game Browser gives the game some new life. I’m dying to try FFA Fiesta King on Lockout :smiley:

1 Like

Idk if you like it, but 4v4 SWAT comes up all day. BTB on the other hand, RIP. Although I was able to play BTB Territories this morning lol

1 Like

i think they avoided the game due to how the game is basicly held together by duct tape. its a challange to do stuff with the game wich explains for example the very few mods , maps etc the pc vista version ( wich basicly is even more broke then the xbox version and is the version wich mcc uses ) has recived. if you change anything it most likely breaks something that means : a lot of testing needed and that means time. they are well aware of the wishes for H2 Classic content and fixes. of course said lack of content and unlockables shifts the population towards the games that have said stuff. back when mcc wasnt even out on pc and a mess halo 2 was way better populated ( at least for me it felt like that ) since the populations somewhat evened out across the various single game playlists .

1 Like

You took a lot of liberties with what you said. You have no idea that the reason the population is low is because of button combos. In fact the population would be thriving with h2 vets if they would actually fix the game to how it played on the original Xbox. Project cartographer did this and the game is doing great even now. Button combos are a crucial part of the game and the game flourished well after even halo 3 was released. This alone tells me button combos are not what pushed people away. Like I said before you probably don’t know how to use them and are getting out a lot of anger because of this.

Nope. That’s been disproven time and time again. The game can be fixed and has been fixed by project cartographer. Stop spreading disinformation.

1 Like

Again, going to reiterate this. I played well over 2000 hours of Halo 2 alone. Button Combos are very easy to use to me as I have been using them for the last 15 years. Its not just the button combos, you’re failing to understand that the SKILL GAP created by them scares off non Halo 2 Vets. Yes Halo 2 Vets will come back, but only the ones that prefer it over Halo 3 which is not all of them. My most played game in MCC is Halo 2. I love it, but new players don’t find it is enjoyable because they get steam rolled. As to the “disinformation” about the games stability and why they wont add anything, the game can be fixed, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer has proven that, but additions to the games Code Base is a much more daunting task and would most likely break more than it would add/fix. I understand that you are defensive over what I will assume is your favorite Halo MP, and that is fine, but I have made very defendable arguments, not mention that plenty of people have talked about this for years, and the answers don’t really change. Its not a 343i hates Halo 2, if they did, they would have never made H2A. Simple as that. Halo 2 is fan to those who grew up on it(you and i), but new players don’t like people who played 14-17 years of Halo 2 to steam roll them with mechanics that are not taught via game play and are unintentional. I’m not taking a lot of liberties with what I am saying, I am simply asserting an observation over time, and the knowledge we have from Developer Interviews over the years, as well as community interactions that have happened time and time again. There were whole threads on old waypoint from newer players who hated Halo 2 because if you could learn the “secret” tech you would have an insurmountable advantage against an opponent who didn’t know about it.

5 Likes

Too long to read. Try to shorten you’re responses so I can skim through without straining my eyes thanks.

TLDR: After Years of Observation I am confident in my conclusion. I took no liberties, you are being unnecessarily defensive about a game and its population problems and why they exist. If you actually read you would be able to better understand my point.

4 Likes

I got my Halo 2 Vista out of storage and gonna install Project Cartographer soon. Seems more populated than MCC from what I can tell

2 Likes

well to start, the actual recent developer update actually went into it pointing out that Custom Edition was easier to fix than Halo 2 Vista. That alone speaks volumes.

What you keep ignoring is that the developers of Project Cartographer had over a decade to learn, modify, and enhance the tools in their own time with no corporate expectations. They only had to focus on one messy individual game, instead of spreading their focus and resources across 7 separate titles and 10 different engines in the span of three years. Each of which were of varying quality and all being held together with a UI and netcode made of chewing gum and staples, while also trying to launch new features and QoL fixes that did not exist before.

Halo 2 can be fixed, yes, but that does not mean it is easy to do so.

1 Like

Halo 2 can be fixed and has been fixed. Not by a million dollar company but by a group of volunteer modders. Give me a break man are you really still defending them after how many years of not fixing it? Consumers like you are the reason games suck now a days.