Why does everyone want the Battle Rifle back?

I never liked the battle rifle, honestly. Why? Because it made Halo a one-weapon game. The battle rifle dominates across the board, being the best weapon for mid-long range fire while simultaneously being useful for every other application.

If 343 is going to add a “jack of all trades” weapon system, they should do it with the assault rifle, because the assault rifle could be balanced so that it’s neither “great” at any use nor is it “bad” for anything. Give it Reach’s accuracy and control, Halo 3’s power (maybe even a little more power) and a slight zoom function, and it could work.

Thoughts?

I found that the DMR does what you’re describing even more than the BR.

The BR was easily beaten at close ranges by a large variety of weapons (AR, brute shot, PR), whereas the DMR can be spammed up-close to kill just as fast as the rest (AR, PR). Sure the AR has more range now but it’s so weak that it gets wrecked at any range.

Also, the BR sucked at long ranges due to spread and lack of hitscan, whereas the DMR can cross-map very effectively.

Sorry, OP. I don’t like playing virtual rock, paper, scissors.

> Sorry, OP. I don’t like playing virtual rock, paper, scissors.

You’re right, a much better game would be scissors, scissors, scissors. How’s that for a skill gap

> Sorry, OP. I don’t like playing virtual rock, paper, scissors.

I lol’ed at this… And both the DMR and Bloom suck.

BR FTW

the BR cant decimate vehicles

the BR isn’t much use in long(with spread) and close range combat

the BR is not a jack of all trades weapon

> I found that the DMR does what you’re describing even more than the BR.
>
> The BR was easily beaten at close ranges by a large variety of weapons (AR, brute shot, PR), whereas the DMR can be spammed up-close to kill just as fast as the rest (AR, PR). Sure the AR has more range now but it’s so weak that it gets wrecked at any range.
>
> Also, the BR sucked at long ranges due to spread and lack of hitscan, whereas the DMR can cross-map very effectively.

^^^^
this guy sums it up pretty well

> Sorry, OP. I don’t like playing virtual rock, paper, scissors.

This. Halo has always had a utility weapon, and always should.

> I found that the DMR does what you’re describing even more than the BR.
>
> The BR was easily beaten at close ranges by a large variety of weapons (AR, brute shot, PR), whereas the DMR can be spammed up-close to kill just as fast as the rest (AR, PR). Sure the AR has more range now but it’s so weak that it gets wrecked at any range.
>
> Also, the BR sucked at long ranges due to spread and lack of hitscan, whereas the DMR can cross-map very effectively.

Hey, how about something new? If you like the BR so much, I hope you like Halo 3.

> Hey, how about something new? If you like the BR so much, I hope you like Halo 3.

Want something new? Hop on over to another franchise.

See? That kind of thinking doesn’t help anybody.

> I never liked the battle rifle, honestly. Why? Because it made Halo a one-weapon game. The battle rifle dominates across the board, being the best weapon for mid-long range fire while simultaneously being useful for every other application.
>
> If 343 is going to add a “jack of all trades” weapon system, they should do it with the assault rifle, because the assault rifle could be balanced so that it’s neither “great” at any use nor is it “bad” for anything. Give it Reach’s accuracy and control, Halo 3’s power (maybe even a little more power) and a slight zoom function, and it could work.
>
> Thoughts?

/sigh

Sniper has always been the best long range weapon, even in HCE+H2 as it had a super fast RoF

I have come to the conclusion that AR starts is for people who want to use every weapon in the Sandbox and more weapon variety with balance fit for a good Halo game.

Utility weapon starts has historically been the competitve players choice of playstyle due to the faster pace and more team-oriented playstyle with balance fit for a competitve game. Competitve players like precision weapon starts because you can effectively defend yourself off spawn and jump into the action immediately, and the emephasis on headshot weapons and power weapon/map control.

Where the two butt heads is when Bungie tried to make everything “AR starts” in H2 by giving players a weak spray gun called the SMG off spawn, and after months of outrage by competitve players made a TU fixing the spread and buffing the damage of the BR. Then we repeated this same process in H3+Reach where Bungie favored the “AR start” playstyle too much leading to Reach and to the detriment of core players and competitive Halo players who have been dealing with the same BS ever since H2.

Thats all you need to know folks. this topic has been beaten to death for 10 years and the two different playstyles(AR starts, utility weapon starts) are destined to remain distinct playstyles and use different weapons until we get a Sandbox like HCE again where it was damn near perfect balance for both playstyles but in order for that to happen the niche Weapons of Halo like the AR,PP,PR,ect… need to not suck which they still do even in Reach with the dice roll DMR off spawn.

Battle Rifle sucks. A 3 shot kill rifle with no aim assist enabled would make the skill gap rise so much. I just got back from a 1v1 betrayal match and I have to say it took so much skill and strafing was way more effective.

A 4 shot is ok too.

Burst Fire weapons DO NOT work in an ONLINE environment where it doesn’t take 1 shot to kill someone!

Why do people want the most inconsistent weapon back into Halo? Halo 3’s BR was so random and frustrating and Halo 2’s BR was host-dominant. We NEED a single shot weapon still as our dominant human weapon sandbox like the DMR, it’s not the weapon’s fault that the bloom is a messed up game mechanic ;\

How can you people honestly say that the DMR makes all the other weapons in the sandbox useless? How can you say that with a serious face and THEN say the BR lost to other weapons in their ranges?!

Reach DMR vs Halo 3 BR vs Halo 2 BR = Reach DMR because the Halo 3 BR was so inconsistent and the Halo 2 BR was horrible in ANY sort of lag. Hosts DOMINATED with the Halo 2 BR and it wasn’t even fair… Tombstone BR starts anyone? ;[
Reach AR vs Halo 3 AR Halo 2 SMG = Reach AR DOMINATES that thing by far
Reach Pistol vs Halo 3 Pistol Halo 2 Pistol = Really? No competition here…
Reach Plasma Pistol vs Halo 3 Plasma Pistol Halo 2 PP = Reach PP has less tracking but is more useful in other situations and does more health damage.
Reach Plasma Rifle vs Halo 3 Plasma Rifle Halo 2 Plasma Rifle = Reach Plasma Rifle
Reach Spiker vs Halo 3 Spiker = Seriously? Halo 3 Spiker was BEYOND useless
Reach Shotgun vs Halo 3 Shotgun Halo 2 Shotgun = Reach’s Shotgun has even MORE range
Reach Sniper vs Halo 3 Sniper Halo 2 Sniper = Halo 2 Sniper was like an automatic lol and had MASSIVE autoaim
Reach Rocket vs Halo 3 Rocket vs Halo 2 Rocket = Reach Rocket is a MONSTER (strongest), but Halo 2 had tracking
Reach Gravity Hammer vs Halo 3 Gravity Hammer = Reach Gravity Hammer
Reach Sword vs Halo 3 Sword Halo 2 Sword = Reach Sword is the most balanced (aside from the terrible melee block)

Obviously this doesn’t include weapons that weren’t in the other games as well like the Grenade Launcher and Focus Rifle which are both very useful.

I didn’t even bother comparing it to Halo 1 because each weapon in Halo 1 was useful in their own range and the sandbox was so limited. No weapon absolutely dominated another weapon in their respective ranges so that’s why I didn’t list Halo 1.

Good to see that no one’s on the same page.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The BR can get beaten by so many weapons it’s not even true.

Close range: Sniper, mauler, sword, hammer, and all dual weapons, + AR.

Medium range: All dual weapons when dual wielded, sniper and AR.

Long range: Sniper.

The battle rifle was awful in Halo 3. With a few tweaks it could be ok.

> You have no idea what you are talking about. The BR gets beaten by so many weapons it’s not even true.
>
> Close range: Sniper, mauler, sword, hammer, and all dual weapons, + AR.
>
> Medium range: All dual weapons when dual wielded, sniper and AR.
>
> Long range: Sniper.

The Sniper doesn’t count cuz it’s a long range weapon. The mauler only beats it from like literally one foot away lol… The sword/Hammer/automatic weapons only beat it from extremely close range as well. Once you step within like 10 feet give or take, the BR can easily destroy those weapons.

Each one of those weapons improved in Reach, both with their power and accuracy/range respectively. The DMR’s kill time is longer than the BR too, so in no situation is Halo 3’s sandbox more balanced than Halo Reach ;\

Thank you man I said this in a forum before. What’s so great about it it does make it a one gun game where all other guns get owed in any situatio its a terrible weapon for multiplayer.

I want the BR to be in the game but not because it was a good gun, but because it was a cool looking gun.

I know what u mean but I miss the halo 2 br. I want it back.