Why does everyone hate Halo: Reach?

I played all the Halo’s and I thought Reach was great. The first time I beat Campaign it was really fun, only problem was there was no Dual-Wielding. Second time I beat it, it was a bit boring. The Graphics are great, sound track is pretty good (not quite as good as Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST). Multiplayer is fun, I know people didn’t like the armour abilites but other than that, was Reach really that bad of a game? I’d say it deserves a 9/10. I played all the other Halos, Reach wasn’t the best, but I still thought it was amazing. I just don’t understand what was so bad about it?

Three simple things: Bloom, no ranks and AAs.

There are some people that complain about Reach, about how they hate armor lock, active camo etc etc… but in my opinion Reach was one of the best halo games I’ve ever played.
The campaign was pretty good, same as for multiplayer.I don’t know exactly why people hate it, but when I see something like this
Person: ‘I hate reach because it sucks’ I think that some people just argue about it without thinkin’… I don’t know, it’s just an opinion

There is just one problem with Reach: The ranking sistem…
For example: I was playing yestarday MLG with an inheritor, and I thought he was good, but I was wrong, we lost the game because of him and I was really angry about it…

Most Inheritors , Forerunners etc etc got to that rank because they were playing firefight, campaing and custom game…
Thank Bungie and 343 that Arena is still in the playlist you know because of the ranks in that specific game (Silver, Onix, Gold etc)

That’s all

my problems with reach are.

1: The maps just dont do it for me, none of them are the map that i have to play on because i really enjoy it.

TOO MANY were just reused from where ever, example is during the New Alexandrea mission, one of the locations of a generator is actually a map from … Halo 2 or 3 the one you get ambushed by the bugs, they also used it in MM.

ALL the maps save for …2? in Fire Fight were just taken out of the campaign, not to mention that they had a VERY limited number of vehicles that you could use, rocket hog, gat hog, -Yoink!-, ghost and if you jacked it, a wraith (and forklift) on maps that were too small for them to really be of any use.

2: AKFers need i say more?

3: Ranking, i play FF 90% of the time, i just find it more fun than MM because you dont have to deal with too many people’s BS, but on the rare times that i do play MM some people make it out like my rank is a BIG deal when it is meaning less, i just played FF, the ranks should be seperated or some thing, same with armor types, having only some unlocked in FF for general use and MM.

4: AI vs some weapons, like the needle rifle, shooting at covies they will roll and doge this way and that, give it to a marine? hits every time, AI doesnt duck and roll etc

5: It felt too short, too many of the missions were A to B missions, too much of “Follow the yellow brick road” and not enough of all out full scale battle, for an invasion it felt very …small scale, in Halo 2 and ODST it felt more like an invasion with all kinds of things destroyed here and there and what not.

but thats just how i see it

I’ve always enjoyed Reach, and i still enjoy some aspects of the game, but it has lost some of it’s luster as of late due to the “tweaks” and tinkering and the strange assortment of updates the game has endured over the last year.

The only comparison i can make, is that Reach is that awesome looking girl that got too much plastic surgery, now she is just hard to look at.

It’s still a fun game, it’s just not as fun as it was a year and a half ago - by any means.

I posted this a little while ago, I feel is a mostly-complete list:

> -Lack of ranking system and proper matchmaking.
> -Randomness on practically everything.
> -Overpowered Grenades.
> -Overpowered Armor Abilities.
> -Inaccurate precision weapons.
> -The maps.
> -Bad story with two-dimensional characters.
> -Redundant and worthless automatic weapons.
> -Credits are worthless past Eclipse. My next unlock is in about 9 million credits.
> -Bad AI, with artificial difficulty by making them aimbots/bullet sponges.
> -Broken powerups by default.
> -Lack of bleedthrough.
> -Very long killtimes.
> -Strafe acceleration makes movement feel crap; turning it up just makes it feel like ice skating.
> -Aim acceleration.

Lack of ranking system and proper matchmaking.

-Armor lock
-Run/roll abilities
-Dmr spam
-Vehicles too fragile
-Free fall damage
-Spartans too fragile
-Sick of seeing forge maps.
-Bad story with two-dimensional characters.
-Redundant automatic weapons due to spammed dmr everywhere.
-Credits are worthless at nova, nearly forerunner so nothing to do.
-Credit limit
-Jet pack spam
-Broken griffball
-Matchmaking dlc removed, impossible to find my paid dlc
-Reach’s poor attempt at Firefight with fuel rod spam
-Forgeworld+too many grey textures
-Armor attachments look stupid

the Campaign just was not as fun as the rest the halo trilogy.

Amen brother. Personally, I am a fan of Reach. People complain about some of the smallest things in this game, which admittedly can be annoying, but no reason to hate the game.

Too much drama in the campaign.

When characters die you don’t really feel anything aside from ‘they got pwned’.

Over powered human weapons, under powered covenant weapons.

Ridiculous damage output in the campaign - example: while on legendary a revenant shoots you while in a hog and you die instantly, if you get in the revenant and shoot a teammate if it’s a coop game and they’re in the hog they won’t die. Having more health is one thing, but doing more damage with a weapon or vehicle is a poor way to make the campaign harder.

Commendations.

Extremely tough or glitchy acheivements.

Skulls already given to us instead of hidden in the campaign.

Lack of interesting campaign achievements - I miss the score related achievements from halo 3.

> 1: The maps just dont do it for me, none of them are the map that i have to play on because i really enjoy it.
>
> TOO MANY were just reused from where ever, example is during the New Alexandrea mission, one of the locations of a generator is actually a map from … Halo 2 or 3 the one you get ambushed by the bugs, they also used it in MM.
>
> ALL the maps save for …2? in Fire Fight were just taken out of the campaign, not to mention that they had a VERY limited number of vehicles that you could use, rocket hog, gat hog, -Yoink!-, ghost and if you jacked it, a wraith (and forklift) on maps that were too small for them to really be of any use.

I know you most likely won’t read this and will probably refuse to be corrected even if you do but maybe I’ll enlighten someone…

That’s such a facile argument, why does it matter if they were taken from the campaign? Regardless, they weren’t. Bungie made it very clear during development that they were determined to put all of their multiplayer maps in the campaign and what they were doing was definitely not the reverse. All Bungie was doing was giving the maps a more definitive tie to the universe’s lore, they just made the mistake of presuming their audience isn’t largely composed of simpletons who would fault them for “taking maps from the campaign.”

343i has apparently learned from Bungie’s error.

I do however agree with you that Reach has a disappointing lack of large, open maps. Successors to Sandtrap and Lost Platoon were sorely needed.