Why do you want the BR back?

Wouldn’t a hitscan, 2x scope, single-shot weapon be the most precise, consistent, and therefore, skillful weapon to have as the main marksman weapon in H4?

Edit: Just to be clear, I’m not talking about the DMR or bloom. If the DMR didn’t have any bloom, then it would be the more skillful weapon. Just because I mentioned “hitscan” and “single-shot” does not mean that all of you have to immediately think, “Oh no! He’s talking about the DMR!”

Are you a Halo fan or a Cod fan on a Halo forum? The BR was one of the best weapons back in Halo2 and 3, it was always a really fun gun to use. Also Halo 4 is following Halo 3 so it has to come back considering the DMR is now obsolite. Hopefully 343i thinks of a way to make everything fun and skillful the way we like it, the DMR was good but still did not have that awesome and right Halo feel that the BR had.

> Are you a Halo fan or a Cod fan on a Halo forum? The BR was one of the best weapons back in Halo2 and 3, it was always a really fun gun to use. Also Halo 4 is following Halo 3 so it has to come back considering the DMR is now obsolite. Hopefully 343i thinks of a way to make everything fun and skillful the way we like it, the DMR was good but still did not have that awesome and right Halo feel that the BR had.

I didn’t even put “DMR” in my post.

the dmr is a horrible weapon used by the unsc on reach and prior to finding the first halo ring, the BR was introduced in halo 2, and in succession should ultimately be in halo 3, and possibly a better new weapon in halo 4.

Im hoping they stay to one shot, and no recoil, please im not playing call of duty.

give me back my halo.

because the BR was fun to use in matchmakeing. DMR not so much since you have to spam it to stay allive and that messes up your shots

We can have both, except one will be a single shot Pistol and the other will be a burst fire rifle, with the rifle having a longer scope and both are 4 shot.

> We can have both, except one will be a single shot Pistol and the other will be a burst fire rifle, with the rifle having a longer scope and both are 4 shot.

Forgot about the pistol, they are bringing back its former glory for CEA so why not in Halo4.

> We can have both, except one will be a single shot Pistol and the other will be a burst fire rifle, with the rifle having a longer scope and both are 4 shot.

I agree, to an extent. I like how Reach tried to split the ranges of the BR into two separate weapons: the DMR and the Pistol. Still, the DMR was way too powerful due to its poor bloom.

So, to expand on your idea, why not have the rifle be single-shot as well. Both weapons will have a 2x scope, but the rifle will have far less spread. However, the pistol will have a faster RoF. This way, the pistol’s more dominant at close range, but the rifle’s more efficient at long range. Both have relatively equal chances at defeating the other at mid range.

> > We can have both, except one will be a single shot Pistol and the other will be a burst fire rifle, with the rifle having a longer scope and both are 4 shot.
>
> I agree, to an extent. I like how Reach tried to split the ranges of the BR into two separate weapons: the DMR and the Pistol. Still, the DMR was way too powerful due to its poor bloom.
>
> So, to expand on your idea, why not have the rifle be single-shot as well. Both weapons will have a 2x scope, but the rifle will have far less spread. However, the pistol will have a faster RoF. This way, the pistol’s more dominant at close range, but the rifle’s more efficient at long range. Both have relatively equal chances at defeating the other at mid range.

The battle rifle had a great feel with it though, it belongs to Halo almost as much as the assault rifle. It would be a tragedy if it were to stay gone.

My main reason is because it’s a lot more fun to play with. It changes things up a little bit, instead of every weapon worth picking up being semi-automatic. DMR, NR, Sniper, Pistol.

But since opinions aren’t good enough in a forum like this, here are my other reasons. It naturally loses effectiveness at long range because you have to hit all 3 bullets instead of just 1, which is a lot harder to do as range increases. So it’s naturally a more balanced weapon than a single shot weapon.

I also like it because it is easier to pick up and use for the first time, but it is more difficult to master. With the DMR it’s a bit more difficult to pick up for the first time and be able to deal out any damage, but there isn’t much to be mastered. Once you start to get it, you’ve learned all there is to learn. With the BR, you have a spray that makes it easier to get a few hits in, but won’t necessarily be very effective. If you’re good enough though, and you get all 3 bullets to hit every time, you’ll be a serious threat. TL;DR 3 bullet sprays are easier and more fun for noobs, but getting all 3 shots to hit every time requires more skill than only 1.

> > We can have both, except one will be a single shot Pistol and the other will be a burst fire rifle, with the rifle having a longer scope and both are 4 shot.
>
> I agree, to an extent. I like how Reach tried to split the ranges of the BR into two separate weapons: the DMR and the Pistol. Still, the DMR was way too powerful due to its poor bloom.
>
> So, to expand on your idea, why not have the rifle be single-shot as well. Both weapons will have a 2x scope, but the rifle will have far less spread. However, the pistol will have a faster RoF. This way, the pistol’s more dominant at close range, but the rifle’s more efficient at long range. Both have relatively equal chances at defeating the other at mid range.

Here’s how it should work when it comes to combat effectivenes (up until they say “We’re keeping that 3rd precision weapon for Halo 4”, in which case I have a different balancing formula for that).

With two precision/utilitarian weapons, they should balance out via strengths and weaknesses of ranges.
So, the best way for two of them would be:

> Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle
> Mid Range: Pistol=Rifle
> Longer Range: Rifle>Pistol

However, I find it likely that a 3rd precision/utilitarian weapon (we’ll call it a Carbine for the hell of it) will return, and we’ll have a triangle.
So, the formula for that would be:

> Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle>Carbine
> Mid Range: Carbine>Pistol>Rifle
> Longer Range: Rifle>Carbine>Pistol

This way, it will always be that of options for picking one or the other(s) up instead of always having a mainstream weapon to use (this system also promotes AR/Pistol starts).

So the way I figure it, the Carbine can be burst and the Rifle and Pistol can be single shot.

All are four shot (to reduce confusion and promote team shooting) but base reticules, ammo supply and capacity, and scopes can best limit these weapons to the formula, while they also configure the other weapons in the sandbox to work around these precision weapons to ensure a sandbox balance and a difference of niches instead of a level of effectiveness (level of effectiveness ultimately makes for weapons that are bad rather than weapons that simply work in different situations).

(Did I just digress so much as to explain good sandbox balance again?)

How about make the BR more like the demo version of H2. single-shot when zoomed in and burst when not. it still gives the good ol’ BR feel because in a closer range people don’t bother zooming in. at a longer range the single shot would give you more accuracy, and you could still fire off rounds at a quick pace

OP, I’m with you.
(I know you didn’t say anything about the DMR, but allow me to elaborate)
The DMR is FAR, FAR harder to use, therefore requiring more skill.

Of course you don’t notice it when you can’t use it properly or play against people who also can’t use it properly, but if you watch MLG Pro gameplay you will see that there are players who completely DESTROY entire teams with the DMR and there are players who are good with it (there are no bad players in the Pro Circuit).

The best player, the more skillful player, can win a DMR fight even if he is two shots down and the opponent is full shields. I’ve seen it happen many times.
Why this happens? Bloom - that’s what makes the DMR such a great weapon: you either know how to play with it or you don’t. You either have the skill to do it or you don’t.

I’m not going into ad hominem, but I’m pretty sure most people who cry for the BR and hate the DMR because “it takes less skill” just don’t know how to use it. Because remember - the BR was all about spamming.

And you can’t forget how much more accurate (and therefore harder to use [think Sniper vs Assault Rifle]) the DMR is.

I certainly am not the best DMR user, but I absolutely LOVE IT!

And the “good ol’ BR feel” - there’s no such thing. Besides, the DMR packs a much bigger punch - from the precision to the raw sound: everything’s better.

Note: don’t even try putting this post on the spot with my B.net stats.

> Note: don’t even try putting this post on the spot with my B.net stats.

Just saying, I know alot of forum users with better stats (like mine), so putting that note there is pretty pointless.

Not critisizing your post, BTW

DMR bloom needs to go, though. its far too random on XBL.

> > Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle>Carbine
> > Mid Range: Carbine>Pistol>Rifle
> > Longer Range: Rifle>Carbine>Pistol

I’ll have to admit it, but an Covenat (or w/e we fight against in H4), 3 shot burst weapon sounds like an awesome idea.

I’ll call it the CCC (or CC), which means: Covenant Combat Carbine, it will be excactly like the Halo 2 BR, but this time around, people will have to pick it up from the map.

Then comes the magnum, which I hope gets an 2x scope, a bit faster fire rate than the halo 3 pistol, 6sk and a 12 bullet clip.

Then comes the MBR (or just BR), which obviously stands for Marksman Battle Rifle, it will be a 12 shot clip, 3sk long range rifle with a slow fire rate, bigger scope than the sniper, and a 3x scope.

So…

Magnum: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 5sk and 2x scope.
Combat Carbine: 3-shot bust, 36 bullet clip, 4sk and 2.5x scope.
Battle Rifle: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 3sk and 3x scope.

All of them with the formula quoted above :smiley:

> > > Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle>Carbine
> > > Mid Range: Carbine>Pistol>Rifle
> > > Longer Range: Rifle>Carbine>Pistol
>
> I’ll have to admit it, but an Covenat (or w/e we fight against in H4), 3 shot burst weapon sounds like an awesome idea.
>
> I’ll call it the CCC (or CC), which means: Covenant Combat Carbine, it will be excactly like the Halo 2 BR, but this time around, people will have to pick it up from the map.
>
> Then comes the magnum, which I hope gets an 2x scope, a bit faster fire rate than the halo 3 pistol, 6sk and a 12 bullet clip.
>
> Then comes the MBR (or just BR), which obviously stands for Marksman Battle Rifle, it will be a 12 shot clip, 3sk long range rifle with a slow fire rate, bigger scope than the sniper, and a 3x scope.
>
> So…
>
> Magnum: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 5sk and 2x scope.
> Combat Carbine: 3-shot bust, 36 bullet clip, 4sk and 2.5x scope.
> Battle Rifle: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 3sk and 3x scope.
>
> All of them with the formula quoted above :smiley:

I’m still calling for a “4 shot” on all of them.

Pistol gets the fastest rate of fire and a 2x scope, but has a larger base reticule (the Carbine and Rifle have more centered reticules) that makes it difficult to use at a longer range.
Carbine gets a smaller reticule than the Pistol that’s a bit larger than the current BR reticule as well as a slower rate of fire than the Pistol and a 2.5x scope. This allows for it to be more diffult at short range and long range, but good for midrange
The Rifle gets a larger reticule than the current sniper reticule, but is smaller than the Carbine reticule. rate of fire is the slowest (doesn’t necessarily have to be slow) and has a 3x scope. this allows it to excell at a longer range than the other two weapons, but not so much a mid and long range.

> > > > Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle>Carbine
> > > > Mid Range: Carbine>Pistol>Rifle
> > > > Longer Range: Rifle>Carbine>Pistol
> >
> > I’ll have to admit it, but an Covenat (or w/e we fight against in H4), 3 shot burst weapon sounds like an awesome idea.
> >
> > I’ll call it the CCC (or CC), which means: Covenant Combat Carbine, it will be excactly like the Halo 2 BR, but this time around, people will have to pick it up from the map.
> >
> > Then comes the magnum, which I hope gets an 2x scope, a bit faster fire rate than the halo 3 pistol, 6sk and a 12 bullet clip.
> >
> > Then comes the MBR (or just BR), which obviously stands for Marksman Battle Rifle, it will be a 12 shot clip, 3sk long range rifle with a slow fire rate, bigger scope than the sniper, and a 3x scope.
> >
> > So…
> >
> > Magnum: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 5sk and 2x scope.
> > Combat Carbine: 3-shot bust, 36 bullet clip, 4sk and 2.5x scope.
> > Battle Rifle: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 3sk and 3x scope.
> >
> > All of them with the formula quoted above :smiley:
>
> I’m still calling for a “4 shot” on all of them.
>
> Pistol gets the fastest rate of fire and a 2x scope, but has a larger base reticule (the Carbine and Rifle have more centered reticules) that makes it difficult to use at a longer range.
> Carbine gets a smaller reticule than the Pistol that’s a bit larger than the current BR reticule as well as a slower rate of fire than the Pistol and a 2.5x scope. This allows for it to be more diffult at short range and long range, but good for midrange
> The Rifle gets a larger reticule than the current sniper reticule, but is smaller than the Carbine reticule. rate of fire is the slowest (doesn’t necessarily have to be slow) and has a 3x scope. this allows it to excell at a longer range than the other two weapons, but not so much a mid and long range.

This is a great idea. But one problem with Reach’s BTB is that there’s too much DMR cross-map shooting due to its large scope. If some form ofyour idea was in H4, I think it would be best if we started out with the Pistol and the Carbine and have the BR as a pickup on the map (just using your weapon names here for convenience).

> > > > > Shorter Range: Pistol>Rifle>Carbine
> > > > > Mid Range: Carbine>Pistol>Rifle
> > > > > Longer Range: Rifle>Carbine>Pistol
> > >
> > > I’ll have to admit it, but an Covenat (or w/e we fight against in H4), 3 shot burst weapon sounds like an awesome idea.
> > >
> > > I’ll call it the CCC (or CC), which means: Covenant Combat Carbine, it will be excactly like the Halo 2 BR, but this time around, people will have to pick it up from the map.
> > >
> > > Then comes the magnum, which I hope gets an 2x scope, a bit faster fire rate than the halo 3 pistol, 6sk and a 12 bullet clip.
> > >
> > > Then comes the MBR (or just BR), which obviously stands for Marksman Battle Rifle, it will be a 12 shot clip, 3sk long range rifle with a slow fire rate, bigger scope than the sniper, and a 3x scope.
> > >
> > > So…
> > >
> > > Magnum: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 5sk and 2x scope.
> > > Combat Carbine: 3-shot bust, 36 bullet clip, 4sk and 2.5x scope.
> > > Battle Rifle: Semi-auto, 12 bullet clip, 3sk and 3x scope.
> > >
> > > All of them with the formula quoted above :smiley:
> >
> > I’m still calling for a “4 shot” on all of them.
> >
> > Pistol gets the fastest rate of fire and a 2x scope, but has a larger base reticule (the Carbine and Rifle have more centered reticules) that makes it difficult to use at a longer range.
> > Carbine gets a smaller reticule than the Pistol that’s a bit larger than the current BR reticule as well as a slower rate of fire than the Pistol and a 2.5x scope. This allows for it to be more diffult at short range and long range, but good for midrange
> > The Rifle gets a larger reticule than the current sniper reticule, but is smaller than the Carbine reticule. rate of fire is the slowest (doesn’t necessarily have to be slow) and has a 3x scope. this allows it to excell at a longer range than the other two weapons, but not so much a mid and long range.
>
> This is a great idea. But one problem with Reach’s BTB is that there’s too much DMR cross-map shooting due to its large scope. If some form ofyour idea was in H4, I think it would be best if we started out with the Pistol and the Carbine and have the BR as a pickup on the map (just using your weapon names here for convenience).

Of course. I wouldn’t want it any other way. Maybe adding some kill barriers like the one on the CE Pistol would help.

It was a mid range gun. Now Halo is all long range. There is no short or mid rage guns to learn. The BR was simply just more fun.

> OP, I’m with you.
> (I know you didn’t say anything about the DMR, but allow me to elaborate)
> The DMR is FAR, FAR harder to use, therefore requiring more skill.
>
> Of course you don’t notice it when you can’t use it properly or play against people who also can’t use it properly, but if you watch MLG Pro gameplay you will see that there are players who completely DESTROY entire teams with the DMR and there are players who are good with it (there are no bad players in the Pro Circuit).
>
> The best player, the more skillful player, can win a DMR fight even if he is two shots down and the opponent is full shields. I’ve seen it happen many times.
> Why this happens? Bloom - that’s what makes the DMR such a great weapon: you either know how to play with it or you don’t. You either have the skill to do it or you don’t.
>
>
>
> I’m not going into ad hominem, but I’m pretty sure most people who cry for the BR and hate the DMR because “it takes less skill” just don’t know how to use it. Because remember - the BR was all about spamming.
>
>
>
> And you can’t forget how much more accurate (and therefore harder to use [think Sniper vs Assault Rifle]) the DMR is.
>
>
>
>
>
> I certainly am not the best DMR user, but I absolutely LOVE IT!
>
>
>
>
> And the “good ol’ BR feel” - there’s no such thing. Besides, the DMR packs a much bigger punch - from the precision to the raw sound: everything’s better.
>
> Note: don’t even try putting this post on the spot with my B.net stats.

The BR was never about spamming. It was about learning the rhythm. The BR was very simple. You spammed your shots it simply would not shoot. You had to time it. If you didnt the time between shots was going to take longer. Then it was simple Aim. It was who can aim better. Not who does all the other crap you have to do with the DMR. It’s a gun. Wild shots should not happen.