Why do YOU smurf?

This forum seems to be crawling with threads complaining about smurfs, but mainly seem to be people losing to someone with a lower SR rank and automatically assuming that player is ‘exploiting the system’. Now I know there are people who do this, but the vast majority of the time I don’t feel like I match people who are maliciously maintaining a low rank to destroy lower skilled players.

There are definitely a lot of new accounts around these days. Lots of higher-skilled players are making second accounts due to rumors that it helps with heavy aim, etc. I personally have a second account that I started a month or so ago. Just ‘starting fresh’, if you will. I feel like I’ve progressed as a player and wanted an unbiased MMR to get a feel of where I can improve. The first few matches I played were definitely slaughter, with exterms, huge sprees, etc, but within 10-20 games I was facing people at my level again.

So why do YOU ‘smurf’, or create a new account?

I don’t.
:confused:

Just because some one of a lower CSR beats you or wins doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a smurf account. They could have had just a good game. Now in FFA if a player wins by a lot say they get to 25 kills before any one else even gets to a double digit kill count and I open their gamer card and I see like no gamer score, no campaign time, and hardly any multiplayer time then yeah odds are it’s a “smurf” account. But any ways reasons they smurf… #1 really slow match making times for higher ranked players #2 they don’t want to have to play those extremely sweaty high ranked games at that time, #3 just fun curb stomping players sometimes.

> 2533274817408735;2:
> I don’t.
> :confused:

Yep, seems about right. I don’t think I will ever smurf.

Just doing my part to ensure these drugs get made…oh wait…

I don’t see the benefit of it in a game like this. Anything with ELO rating I can understand, such as Halo 3, but not with Halo 5.

> 2533274816788253;3:
> Now in FFA if a player wins by a lot say they get to 25 kills before any one else even gets to a double digit kill count and I open their gamer card and I see like no gamer score, no campaign time, and hardly any multiplayer time then yeah odds are it’s a “smurf” account.

For that very reason, I now play exclusively on “Focused” search preference, and have not run into any smurfs since—the extra wait time is worth it…

The question I have, is how many smurfs do I have to block and report until they stop appearing.

I dont.Even when I try I dont rank higher then gold.

> 2533274815793667;8:
> The question I have, is how many smurfs do I have to block and report until they stop appearing.

Infinite smurfs. Because neither 343 nor Microsoft will ban players for doing something that is completely above-board. These players are not ‘cheating’. They are using a feature that is available to everyone. Some might be exploiting this feature, but I’d say those are few and far between.

Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.

My own issue with this is I think it’s an over exaggerated issue. How many people actually take the time to check on a gamer score to even see if it’s a new account? How many people fail to realize 343 is trying to make it harder to hit ranks they’ve hit before? Only say that since people blame smurfs are kicking them out of ranks they held previously when 343 has made it clear (as well as parts of the fan base) that it was to easy to get high ranks, it was just grinding and more grinding.

i myself don’t necessarily smurf, however I did (I say “did” because I’m done with this game, been that way for a while) have an alternative account for when the ban system hits my main account for disconnects. I’ll also mention that the higher your rank, the longer your matchmaking search time goes up, and people have recorded search times taking up to 30+ or not even finding a game period. That in itself is a valid reason to me if people want to use an alternative account just to get games as it’s ridiculous on the way 343 have the game setup, especially when those matchmaking times can also occur in social modes which adds to the ridiculousness even further.

the only way I disapprove of smurfing is when one intentionally uses it for the sake of easier games. If it’s for bypassing bans due to the servers acting up, or trying to get a game, I don’t care about that at all.

> 2533274815793667;8:
> The question I have, is how many smurfs do I have to block and report until they stop appearing.

Blocking and reporting players doesn’t prevent matchmaking with them. Blocking only prevents communications (invites, messages, and blocked people can’t see you’re activity), and reporting only works towards lowering someone’s reputation, which can eventually affect matchmaking.

It’s hard to determine intent. As some have described, there seem to be some “legitimate” reasons why a player would smurf. Then there’s the flip side when it seems a smurf is there just to steamroll you.

I recently played a Team Arena match where an SR 2 player just dominated our team…going 27-0! Pretty frustrating during the match, but I was kinda impressed afterwards and watched his game play in theatre.

Halo 5’s matchmaking can certainly get wonky as is. So hopefully there aren’t too many smurfs out there making the matches any more imbalanced.

> 2533274972430429;11:
> Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.

Playing on a second account with the intent of ranking low and throwing matches is bad.

Playing seriously on a second account is fine. I do it a fair bit. I don’t always want to play on my main for a variety of reasons. It’s not an exploit.

> 2533274796457055;15:
> > 2533274972430429;11:
> > Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.
>
> Playing on a second account with the intent of ranking low and throwing matches is bad.
>
> Playing seriously on a second account is fine. I do it a fair bit. I don’t always want to play on my main for a variety of reasons. It’s not an exploit.

Haha, snickerdoodle, I had a feeling that you were going to quote me.

i understand that playing with an alternative account is not against the rules, however I feel that playing people who are clearly better than you, with such a low rank is a bit deceptive.

> 2533274972430429;16:
> > 2533274796457055;15:
> > > 2533274972430429;11:
> > > Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.
> >
> > Playing on a second account with the intent of ranking low and throwing matches is bad.
> >
> > Playing seriously on a second account is fine. I do it a fair bit. I don’t always want to play on my main for a variety of reasons. It’s not an exploit.
>
> Haha, snickerdoodle, I had a feeling that you were going to quote me.
>
> i understand that playing with an alternative account is not against the rules, however I feel that playing people who are clearly better than you, with such a low rank is a bit deceptive.

Read my post again.

Playing on a second account to intentionally rank low and steamroll = bad.

Playing on a second account to play normally = fine.

> 2533274796457055;17:
> > 2533274972430429;16:
> > > 2533274796457055;15:
> > > > 2533274972430429;11:
> > > > Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.
> > >
> > > Playing on a second account with the intent of ranking low and throwing matches is bad.
> > >
> > > Playing seriously on a second account is fine. I do it a fair bit. I don’t always want to play on my main for a variety of reasons. It’s not an exploit.
> >
> > Haha, snickerdoodle, I had a feeling that you were going to quote me.
> >
> > i understand that playing with an alternative account is not against the rules, however I feel that playing people who are clearly better than you, with such a low rank is a bit deceptive.
>
> Read my post again.
>
> Playing on a second account to intentionally rank low and steamroll = bad.
>
> Playing on a second account to play normally = fine.

I reread it. I understand the differences. Bringing in a new line of argument, smurfing distorts the true active current population. With people using alternative accounts it boosts the player count, which hinders real life statistics and future estimates.

> 2533274972430429;18:
> > 2533274796457055;17:
> > > 2533274972430429;16:
> > > > 2533274796457055;15:
> > > > > 2533274972430429;11:
> > > > > Would anyone call this an exploit? Just out of interest.
> > > >
> > > > Playing on a second account with the intent of ranking low and throwing matches is bad.
> > > >
> > > > Playing seriously on a second account is fine. I do it a fair bit. I don’t always want to play on my main for a variety of reasons. It’s not an exploit.
> > >
> > > Haha, snickerdoodle, I had a feeling that you were going to quote me.
> > >
> > > i understand that playing with an alternative account is not against the rules, however I feel that playing people who are clearly better than you, with such a low rank is a bit deceptive.
> >
> > Read my post again.
> >
> > Playing on a second account to intentionally rank low and steamroll = bad.
> >
> > Playing on a second account to play normally = fine.
>
> I reread it. I understand the differences. Bringing in a new line of argument, smurfing distorts the true active current population. With people using alternative accounts it boosts the player count, which hinders real life statistics and future estimates.

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to drive home here. People have ALWAYS played on multiple accounts. Selling accounts was a big problem in Halo 2/3. Shared Xbox Live Gold has made multiple accounts easier than ever now. Short of a developer restricting consoles to one active user in their game per console, you’ll never have people playing solely on their one account.

Devs can tell how many people are playing from a shared console and what accounts people are using. They have far more sophisticated tools to figure this stuff out.

Population is a totally red herring and has nothing to do with smurfing at all.

> 2533274817408735;13:
> > 2533274815793667;8:
> > The question I have, is how many smurfs do I have to block and report until they stop appearing.
>
> Blocking and reporting players doesn’t prevent matchmaking with them. Blocking only prevents communications (invites, messages, and blocked people can’t see you’re activity), and reporting only works towards lowering someone’s reputation, which can eventually affect matchmaking.

Wow, so blocling is essentially useless than. Kind of a surprise. I know about the reputation deal, granted they will most likely never get enough reports for anything to be done.

I don think even care about my rank, I just hate constantly getting pummeled into the ground because it’s just not fun at that point. I can accept a loss, but being spawn killed in swat for 6 minutes isn’t exactly fun.