Why do people think that

making a game more realistic makes it more fun. Im not talking about basic physics such as gravity but more like low jump, bloom, etc.

I just dont see how just because a game is more realistic makes it better.

PS: do you think they will start making you trip once in a while on COD or maybe having to stop to eat a energy bar or get something to drink?

Do you mean “Why do some people think it’s best to make a game represent its fiction/universe as close as possible?”

It’s not a matter of best. But Halo’s gameplay doesn’t remove me from the immersion as often as other games because we are super-soldiers with the ability to move and shoot like we do. Doom Guy, Duke, CoD Soldiers… they’re all freaks of nature that do little to immerse me in the world they kick–Yoink- in.

If I wanted a game based on pure FPS-skill with no need to understand the world around me to like it, I would have stuck to the PC and Unreal. IF skill and gaming is the end all be all, then that is how I would do it. I would play UT2004 and nothing but if I was that hardcore of a FPS player. Consoles don’t do the term “skillful aiming” justice.

Besides, it’s not like Halo is true to its lore itself. If it was, plasma weapons would be the only weapons that deal damage as the MJOLNIR suits are designed to resist human weapons in the first place. Only the Rockets and Sniper are effective against the Spartans. Every other weapon just bounces off their bodies (without shields). For gameplay reasons, human weapons tend to be more efficient than alien.

> making a game more realistic makes it more fun. Im not talking about basic physics such as gravity but more like low jump, bloom, etc.
>
> I just dont see how just because a game is more realistic makes it better.
>
> PS: do you think they will start making you trip once in a while on COD or maybe having to stop to eat a energy bar or get something to drink?

lore and science is literally the most illogical argument you can ever make for why something should, or should not be changed, added, removed, etc.

instead of arguing lore and science, people should focus on why the mechanics are BETTER or WORSE for GAMEPLAY.

people dont play video games to see real life mechanics mirrored into gameplay, they play games for them to be FUN.

> If I wanted a game based on pure FPS-skill with no need to understand the world around me to like it, I would have stuck to the PC and Unreal. IF skill and gaming is the end all be all, then that is how I would do it. I would play UT2004 and nothing but if I was that hardcore of a FPS player. Consoles don’t do the term “skillful aiming” justice.

its not about halo taking skill, its about halo being fun to play. a lot of it comes from skill gap, but a lot of it also comes from straight forward, NON-GIMMICKY mechanics (which we have in spades in halo reach).

> Do you mean “Why do some people think it’s best to make a game represent its fiction/universe as close as possible?”
>
> It’s not a matter of best. But Halo’s gameplay doesn’t remove me from the immersion as often as other games because we are super-soldiers with the ability to move and shoot like we do. Doom Guy, Duke, CoD Soldiers… they’re all freaks of nature that do little to immerse me in the world they kick-Yoink! in.
>
> If I wanted a game based on pure FPS-skill with no need to understand the world around me to like it, I would have stuck to the PC and Unreal. IF skill and gaming is the end all be all, then that is how I would do it. I would play UT2004 and nothing but if I was that hardcore of a FPS player. Consoles don’t do the term “skillful aiming” justice.

Halo CE takes more skill then Unreal and has more game elements you have to master.Strategy applies to Halo with stealth and tactics involved while UC strength lies in adrenaline fast paced action. I dont know why people try to put all the PC Arena FPs’s on a pedestal when they were just twitch shooters for the most part. And yes, one of the first PC games I played was Unreal.