why do people think I need a driver

How many times have you been set up in your warthog, in your favorite spot, shooting at Warden Eternal or knights or hunters, only to have some IDIOT who thinks you need a driver, hop in your vehicle and drive you right to your death? And if they didn’t also die, they drive off with your req.:fire::angry::fire: I don’t see why you can’t come up with a way to keep others from being able to drive your warhog if you’re on the back shooting. Hey, if you want to let people drive your stuff then go for it. But you ought to be able to come up with something to keep people from driving your vehicle if you don’t care to have a driver. It would be awesome to have some kind of setting that disables your vehicle from other drivers if you are on the back shooting.

Vehicles should come equipped with passive anti-theft systems, parking brakes and four-way emergency flashers.

While an “anti-theft” type system sounds good to start, it becomes open to abuse the more you think of it - people spawning vehicles and then placing them, essentially making them blockers that can’t be moved until they’re destroyed / shunted out the way. Could be more annoying that the odd person driving away. There’s also the odd time where you might need to get cross map quickly, but can’t because you can’t enter the vehicle

Being a driver is pretty detrimental in Firefight anyways. That’s one less person dealing damage in a mode where you really want everyone dealing damage, preferably in their own vehicle… Even running around with an AR is better than nothing because at least you can stop the boss from soft healing itself.

Also, it just means the vehicle is now a bigger target. There’s 2+ potential people aggroing the enemy instead of just one, and if the vehicle dies, that’s 2 people waiting upwards to 30 seconds instead of just one.

A well placed vehicle doesn’t need to move around.

I usually keep an eye out and quickly drive away if I see someone coming towards my vehicle, because it almost always lead to a bad time. People will even die trying to chase it.

I would think it should only work if you are physically with you vehicle. If you leave the vehicle or get killed it should automatically revert to normal.

I think BTB hogs should 99% have a driver. I think WZ and WZFF is more situational. They need to see what you are firing at for sure.

I think there’s a few issues. The Warthog has traditionally been a two person vehicle and shooting the turret while by yourself is another way to say that you want a driver similar to using the horn. Then you have people who just see an open Warthog and want to drive it. There really isn’t a good deterrent other than trying to find an isolated spot and shooting the Hog from there or getting in the driver’s seat and drive off when someone starts approaching.

Using your mic doesn’t really work either. I’ve mentioned several times for people to not use my Hog, but they still drive me around anyway.

> 2727626560040591;7:
> I think there’s a few issues. The Warthog has traditionally been a two person vehicle and shooting the turret while by yourself is another way to say that you want a driver similar to using the horn. Then you have people who just see an open Warthog and want to drive it. There really isn’t a good deterrent other than trying to find an isolated spot and shooting the Hog from there or getting in the driver’s seat and drive off when someone starts approaching.
>
> Using your mic doesn’t really work either. I’ve mentioned several times for people to not use my Hog, but they still drive me around anyway.

No doubt. For a lot of players, it’s a question of letting others know that you’ve deliberately parked your vehicle and don’t want a driver.

To my mind, setting the parking brake and throwing on the hazard lights would at least communicate this and be a point of Halo ‘do not disturb’ etiquette. Maybe next game.

Ive been that guy who will jump in the drivers seat if i see a sitting duck in a turret. But i am a competant driver so never have had complaints lol.

I would love to be able to prevent teammates from taking my ride if I’m set up already. Opponents should still be able to hop right in for balancing though. I can’t tell you how many hogs and gungooses I have bailed out of because my teammate decides to go on a joyride. I’ve lost countless WZA games before because of people who think they are helping by moving my strategically placed cart of Infinite grenades

with regards to the random vehicles, I wish you could choose if you want a warthog in the mix or not. so many times i pull a random vehicle req and get a vehicle. such a waste for me.

Sometimes I imagine that the gunner is a lonely 13yo who is new to the game and thinks everyone is a jerk for not driving him and then I feel bad so I start driving him.

I don’t even like driving vehicles in this game.

> 2533274813317074;3:
> While an “anti-theft” type system sounds good to start, it becomes open to abuse the more you think of it - people spawning vehicles and then placing them, essentially making them blockers that can’t be moved until they’re destroyed / shunted out the way. Could be more annoying that the odd person driving away. There’s also the odd time where you might need to get cross map quickly, but can’t because you can’t enter the vehicle

> 2533275034462123;5:
> I would think it should only work if you are physically with you vehicle. If you leave the vehicle or get killed it should automatically revert to normal.

I see stckrboy’s point. A bunch of abandoned vehicle blocking paths everywhere.

Maybe if you were in the gunner, without a current driver, there could be an option to ‘lock down’ the warthog so it can’t be driven. Kinda like the vehicles in halo wars - Cobras.
Once you get out of the gunner, lock-down is lifted.
If you already have someone driving, lock-down cannot be enabled - only if driver seat is empty.

Answer to OP’s question: It’s because it’s tradition by now. It’s a thing old players have probably already cemented in their minds. It would be fine if the driver was competent, but that’s a rarity. I prefer not having a driver, as that way I can actually properly aim. (My aim sucks on moving vehicles.)

> 2766496913967593;13:
> > 2533274813317074;3:
> > If you already have someone driving, lock-down cannot be enabled - only if driver seat is empty.

Either this, or just play with a team. The latter is the easiest way.

I do see what your saying here but at the same time if you don’t want a driver why bother with a hog in the first place. Obviously there are places that a gauss or rocket hog can help where a scorpion or mantis won’t fit but in the case of chaingun hogs surely a Ghost Ultra would be just as useful while allowing you to remain mobile?

If anything, i would like there to be some type of vehicle lock for when you get out of it. Maybe a 20sec counter. More so in FF. Too many times i get out of my ghost or whatever it is to put the vehicle mod on, only to come back & have a team mate steal it…

or make req stations accessible by vehicle.

I know what you mean man. Even in a vehicle that has room for a passenger/gunner, there’s a random with me.

> 2533274852373759;16:
> Obviously there are places that a gauss or rocket hog can help where a scorpion or mantis won’t fit but in the case of chaingun hogs surely a Ghost Ultra would be just as useful while allowing you to remain mobile?

It could be dependent on the enemies. If it’s a Banshee round, a Warthog is gonna be a better choice than a Ghost and it could also be a REQ level issue since you can get a Hog at level 2.

The anti-theft while in the gunner position is a good idea, but the only issue I see with that is people trolling. They could intentionally take the gunner spot and not allow anyone else to get in it just for their own laughs.

> 2727626560040591;19:
> > 2533274852373759;16:
> > Obviously there are places that a gauss or rocket hog can help where a scorpion or mantis won’t fit but in the case of chaingun hogs surely a Ghost Ultra would be just as useful while allowing you to remain mobile?
>
> It could be dependent on the enemies. If it’s a Banshee round, a Warthog is gonna be a better choice than a Ghost and it could also be a REQ level issue since you can get a Hog at level 2.
>
> ----
>
> The anti-theft while in the gunner position is a good idea, but the only issue I see with that is people trolling. They could intentionally take the gunner spot and not allow anyone else to get in it just for their own laughs.

Fair enough in early rounds but beyond round 3 a mantis scorpion or (AA) wraith is still a better choice.