Why do people say HW2's story was shallow?

I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.

> 2535455681930574;1:
> I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.

Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location

> 2533274830166194;2:
> > 2535455681930574;1:
> > I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.
>
> Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location

Halo CE and ODST Also took place in only one location. There was still a lot of cutscene time, just not as many cutscenes. There were still enough custscenes, in-game dialogue, and the expositional mission briefings to provide a good and coherent story.

Because people just want to -Yoink- about anything. When was the last time people were happy about a Halo game single player? Halo 3? Maybe?

I thought the story was awesome, and I actually like the ending!

> 2535455681930574;3:
> > 2533274830166194;2:
> > > 2535455681930574;1:
> > > I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.
> >
> > Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location
>
> Halo CE and ODST Also took place in only one location. There was still a lot of cutscene time, just not as many cutscenes. There were still enough custscenes, in-game dialogue, and the expositional mission briefings to provide a good and coherent story.

I like hw2 campaign so far,I just wish there were more cutscenes,halo wars one had more cutscenes and also black box logs which had a little more backstory

I think it’s mostly the lack of cutscenes. The story is very interesting and I was hoping they were going to make it more broad but considering that it won’t sell well they probably did not want to invest too many resources into the project.

People like to complain. The story was great cut sense amazing!! And the ending makes total sense :slight_smile: I love it

Its probably worth noting that the game does actually have slightly more cutscene time compared to HW1. I’m not sure if that includes the in-game cinematics or just the CGI ones.

Its probably also the reliance on loading screen dialogue.

Personally I was fine with the story and the cutscenes. My main gripes were that Atriox basically disappears after his reveal and then doesn’t feature until the last handful of missions, along with how the Spirit getting new units and equipment from the UNSC leftovers and having Isobel bring them up to speed on things like Halo.

The story impact of having them 30 years behind is basically ignored and dealt with - at least on the logistics if not character side- off screen

> 2533274830166194;5:
> > 2535455681930574;3:
> > > 2533274830166194;2:
> > > > 2535455681930574;1:
> > > > I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.
> > >
> > > Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location
> >
> > Halo CE and ODST Also took place in only one location. There was still a lot of cutscene time, just not as many cutscenes. There were still enough custscenes, in-game dialogue, and the expositional mission briefings to provide a good and coherent story.
>
> I like hw2 campaign so far,I just wish there were more cutscenes,halo wars one had more cutscenes and also black box logs which had a little more backstory

It’d be great if there was a Banished focused cutscene in that 5-ish mission gap with no cutscenes. It’d also be cool to see the SoF reaction to how the war went and the halos and stuff. They just kinda gloss over that. While halo wars 1 had more cutscenes totaling 26 minutes, halo wars 2 has a slightly longer amount (27 minutes). Also, HW2 has Phoenix logs, which are essentially Black Box logs.

> 2533274842918190;8:
> Its probably worth noting that the game does actually have slightly more cutscene time compared to HW1. I’m not sure if that includes the in-game cinematics or just the CGI ones.
>
> Its probably also the reliance on loading screen dialogue.
>
> Personally I was fine with the story and the cutscenes. My main gripes were that Atriox basically disappears after his reveal and then doesn’t feature until the last handful of missions, along with how the Spirit getting new units and equipment from the UNSC leftovers and having Isobel bring them up to speed on things like Halo.
>
> The story impact of having them 30 years behind is basically ignored and dealt with - at least on the logistics if not character side- off screen

It’s just the CG cutscenes that total to 27 minutes. Yah I was just saying that in the drought of cutscenes, we should’ve gotten an Banished cutscene and a UNSC cutscene explaining how they got all the new tech and having Isabel explain how the war went.

> 2535455681930574;1:
> I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.

Idk the cutscenes were so good I just think people thought because there wasn’t one every mission that they were short changed. However the cutscenes in length were the same in total as with HW1. In-game dialogue and the logs also go into more depth with the story and characters in the game. It did end kind of on a cliffhanger with regards to Atriox, but that was the intention I believe. They have future DLC planned and I believe I heard that includes campaign DLC. (Rumor from the 4 day early release party, not confirmed yet).

From what get halo wars 2 is the start of something bigger leading into the other halo games not only does humanity have to deal with the created but also the Banished what we experienced is but a chapter in a bigger story

> 2533274842918190;8:
> The story impact of having them 30 years behind is basically ignored and dealt with - at least on the logistics if not character side- off screen

Yeah I did wonder about this, however they did talk about it some in-game dialogue and in pre-mission briefings. I am sure it was more a not enough time to add in kind of thing. Or got cut for later DLC maybe.

They did shaft atriox though imo at least when it comes to cutscenes,dude was hyped up as the next big thing and he has barely any screen time

I definitely didn’t hate it but it certainly didn’t blow me away, id say its on par with the original wars and CE on terms of story telling. the thing I think they messed up on was the direction… I was expecting a reaction from the spirit of fires crew when they learned of the covenants defeat, what the flood actually are and the Halos but they go about it all casual like “oh right cool”, also anders is apparently the chosen one cause she can do everything. the biggest issue I had with it was how little time it spent with the banished… I like atriox Hes a cool dude but honestly I have no clue what his grand plot was… I guess that will be saved for a sequel or dlc but I also wanted to see how the banished operate through the 3 leader interactions… its said decimus is still in belief of the gods yet you wouldn’t know unless u read the logs, that would of been interesting to see atriox deal with his right hand man beliefs. it -Yoink- on halo 5 though ;D

> 2533274830166194;5:
> > 2535455681930574;3:
> > > 2533274830166194;2:
> > > > 2535455681930574;1:
> > > > I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.
> > >
> > > Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location
> >
> > Halo CE and ODST Also took place in only one location. There was still a lot of cutscene time, just not as many cutscenes. There were still enough custscenes, in-game dialogue, and the expositional mission briefings to provide a good and coherent story.
>
> I like hw2 campaign so far,I just wish there were more cutscenes,halo wars one had more cutscenes and also black box logs which had a little more backstory

Phoenix logs are just like black box

> 2533274821521504;16:
> > 2533274830166194;5:
> > > 2535455681930574;3:
> > > > 2533274830166194;2:
> > > > > 2535455681930574;1:
> > > > > I’ve seen a lot of people saying this. Can someone please explain why many think this? This was about as shallow as halo CE, 3, or ODST, but no one calls those games shallow.
> > > >
> > > > Maybe because lack of cutscenes mixed with campaign taking place in one location
> > >
> > > Halo CE and ODST Also took place in only one location. There was still a lot of cutscene time, just not as many cutscenes. There were still enough custscenes, in-game dialogue, and the expositional mission briefings to provide a good and coherent story.
> >
> > I like hw2 campaign so far,I just wish there were more cutscenes,halo wars one had more cutscenes and also black box logs which had a little more backstory
>
> Phoenix logs are just like black box

I know

It does feel kind of short and simple. It also asks alot of questions but doesn’t really provide any answers. I feel like the cool moments are just cinematics, whereas there wasn’t really any missions I feel like playing again (they weren’t bad though), except maybe the sniper one.

We have a vague hint of MB or some other force bringing them to the ark, but nothing else beyond that
We have a new faction that isn’t really explored. Not enough of covie leaders other than Decimus, who was the most boring of the lot.
We have odd promotions again about ‘knowing your enemy’ when knowing atriox means nothing. They might as well have just been billed as remnants of Truth’s forces somehow.
We don’t find out anything new about the ark, other than that it defends itself if provoked.

It’s not bad, or irritatingly bad like h5, it just…is sort of unremarkable. The original halo wars had a lot of new stuff, introduced a new forerunner style, brought shield worlds into the games, explored an earlier time period, brought in ideas like using forerunner ships. While it only had like 3 more levels they seemed…longer and more diverse. HW2 is instead mostly retreading HW1 stuff while retreading H3 stuff. Slapping brute colored paint on the covenant doesn’t do much.

There was absolutely no depth to any of the characters. The Banished were made up to be this fearsome force that should be feared, with a leader who is cunning and brutal. But… The only time that we truly see anything of Atriox is in the first mission of the game and in that one cutscene where he and the Shipmaster have a little chat after the Carrier gets destroyed. I have no sense of why he managed to escape the Covenant’s grasp after all this time, or why he wanted to capture the Ark, or why so many Elites decided to just follow Atriox. Hell, we don’t even get to witness any of this intelligence. In fact, he was so predictable, it’s not even funny. He was on the Ark, wanted to get a Halo ring, like everybody else. His “super intelligence” probably rivals that of a 5 year-old who could come up with the same plan. The only thing that tells us that he’s special is 343i’s insistence that he is… Just like how they tell us that Cortana is not, in fact, evil for killing millions of people, but do nothing to show it. With 343i, it’s all about “this is how it is because we told you, so shut up” instead of actually showing us.

Let’s compare this to the first Halo Wars game. In that campaign, we had a lot of insight into the enemies, notably the Arbiter and Truth. Every mission had a cutscene or two, in which we saw both factions and their motivations. We knew what the Arbiter was after, and had a lot of insight into his character. But Atriox? He’s just… Some Brute? He and the Banished are far from compelling. It would have been nice to have a cutscene at the beginning and end of every mission (like in the first Halo Wars), or at least every couple of missions, with some from the perspective of Atriox or even the Shipmaster. The Shipmaster seemed like such an interesting character, but we see him for a total of, what, 5 seconds? I was hoping for some sort of twist where he turns against Atriox at some point, which would help explain how a super old ship with half a crew managed to defeat this supposedly unbeatable force that managed to stand their ground against the Covenant.

And the story itself was just… Uninspired. There was no interesting plot twist, or any kind of character development. The Spirit of Fire somehow appeared at the Ark, Spartan gets defeated by Atriox, somehow comes back with no explanation of how he got new armour, somehow managed to start pushing back against Atriox, a Halo ring appears, and they defeat Atriox. There’s so much more that could have been done with the story, but… They didn’t. The return to the Ark was something I and many Halo fans were really looking forward to, but it ended up being nothing special at all. Seeing the Flood again would have been cool, or finally see Mendicant Bias. Bu no, nothing. On the bright side, the story wasn’t plagued by Cortana and the Created, so at least that’s good.

Was the campaign atrocious? No. Was it amazing? No. It was just alright. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t as great as it was hyped to be. The gameplay was fun, the mission variety was nice, and I’m sure the multiplayer will be fun to play. Compared to Halo 5, it was amazing. But, really, anything looks amazing compared to that pile of trash. It probably helps that I went into Halo Wars 2 expecting it to be Halo 5-level bad, so it was better than my expectations. That being said, it doesn’t help that the PC port is so poor with terrible controls and a bad UI. You can tell that it was a rushed job just to work with the play anywhere thing. It’s an insult to PC players, really.

In any case, I think this is the final nail in the coffin. Halo Wars 2 will most likely be my last Halo game. While definitely an improvement over Halo 5, I think it’s confirmation that 343i just can’t handle Halo and create a story of the same quality as Bungie’s Halo games, and can’t give Halo fans a game they truly deserve. But, let’s be honest, it’s 343i we’re talking about here, I can’t say that I’m surprised that Halo Wars 2 doesn’t live up to its potential. As much as I’m sure that there are some fantastic people at 343i, it’s sad to see my favourite franchise get diluted because the people in charge are too busy trying to change things for the sake of change instead of continuing to build on what Bungie gave them.

In my own opinion, the only thing I don’t like about it is that the base campaign is a little too short for my liking. That they don’t really go into depth about the events that occurred in the past 28 years doesn’t help much either, however I see it as passable due to more pressing matters at hand. A little more depth would be nice too, but I’m expecting that in story DLC if it actually does come. Otherwise, I’ll just play it to enjoy what it does have to offer me, which is very enjoyable, to say the least.