Why do people keep making posts about Chief dying?

Why do people think that Chief is going to be killed off in Halo 5? Or in any Halo game?
I keep seeing posts about this. It is a silly idea. He is not going to die.

If people think 343 will kill off Chief because they killed off Cortana, that is the wrong idea. Cortana was not the main character to begin with (although yes, she was the deurotagonist, but her death had story reasons behind it and good reasons). She was meant to die as her lifespan was nearing its end as told in Halo 3, and her death resulted in further developing the character of Master Chief.

Back in the time of Halo 3’s release, even then not many people thought that Chief would die. Pre-Halo 3 launch would be the only reasonable time to speculate Chief dying, as Halo 3 (at the time) was highly thought to be the last Halo game. And the last game, movie, episode would be the only reasonable time for a main character to be killed off.

343 is NOT going to kill off Master Chief, he is the main character. What series kills off it’s Main Character?! Halo having Master Chief get killed off is like having Mario kill off Mario. Or having Metroid kill off Samus. Master Chief is the icon of Halo, his helmet is basically Halo’s logo.

The only time series kill off main characters is in the VERY final installment of the series, or when a series ends its generation and starts a new generation (new cast, new characters, new era). I suppose Halo 1-3 was one generation, and Halo 4-6 is another, but it is pretty much the same universe and time period. Even in those situations, killing off the main character is still a ‘maybe’ and not for certain. Its unlikely.

Master Chief is NOT going to die, I don’t understand why threads about this keep being made. The likely hood of that happening is the same likelyhood of Mario having Mario die. Or Metroid having Samus die. Kratos did die in God of War 3, but as a result, every God of War game made afterwards was forced to take place BEFORE God of War 3 on its timeline. And even those games had Kratos continue as the main character.

Master Chief will not be killed off ANY time soon. Even him being killed off in Halo 6 (if that happens to be the very last Halo game, wich I doubt) is unlikely.

Halo 5 is definitely not the last Halo game, so there is no reason to think he will be killed off. So calm down, Its alright, take a deep breath. He isn’t going to die. No need to make anymore threads about it. I am 100% sure :slight_smile:

A Microsoft Exec even said that Chief wouldn’t die anytime soon.

Well why bother killing Cortana to give the MC character development? If you just going to turn around and kill him in the next game? It doesn’t seem very likely that the chief will die. Locke however, I could see him dying for some reason.

The voice actor of the Master Chief himself even said he wanted the chief to have a hero’s death, so it is highly possible he could be killed. I for one, would find that interesting on seeing how players adapt to a new main character after the death of the The Master Chief, whom they have played as for over a decade.

> 2533274882913802;4:
> The voice actor of the Master Chief himself even said he wanted the chief to have a hero’s death, so it is highly possible he could be killed. I for one, would find that interesting on seeing how players adapt to a new main character after the death of the The Master Chief, whom they have played as for over a decade.

A voice actor has zero authority on the direction of a series or what happens in it.

I know, those threads have gotten kind of annoying. People keep on talking saying that he’s going to die, even though it’s confirmed that he’s not going anywhere.

Because maybe they don’t much care for the Chief and would rather see someone without the personality of a brick be the main character?

> 2533274812652989;7:
> Because maybe they don’t much care for the Chief and would rather see someone without the personality of a brick be the main character?

You’re one of those people. Personality? Yes, he lacks it. Depth? He does not. A Spartan II having personality is like a brick having personality. It makes sense, but just because he doesn’t have personality, does not mean he doesn’t have emotion or depth.

> 2533274936032899;8:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > Because maybe they don’t much care for the Chief and would rather see someone without the personality of a brick be the main character?
>
>
> You’re one of those people. Personality? Yes, he lacks it. Depth? He does not. A Spartan II having personality is like a brick having personality. It makes sense, but just because he doesn’t have personality, does not mean he doesn’t have emotion or depth.

Didn’t stop Black Team from having personality despite being Spartan-IIs. I don’t say Chief doesn’t have depth to him, it just took 343 Industries to do so after Bungie decided to be lazy and have players project themselves on him rather than write a real character. Still rather have more varied protagonists than just Chief though.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> > 2533274936032899;8:
> > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > Because maybe they don’t much care for the Chief and would rather see someone without the personality of a brick be the main character?
> >
> >
> > You’re one of those people. Personality? Yes, he lacks it. Depth? He does not. A Spartan II having personality is like a brick having personality. It makes sense, but just because he doesn’t have personality, does not mean he doesn’t have emotion or depth.
>
>
> Didn’t stop Black Team from having personality despite being Spartan-IIs. I don’t say Chief doesn’t have depth to him, it just took 343 Industries to do so after Bungie decided to be lazy and have players project themselves on him rather than write a real character. Still rather have more varied protagonists than just Chief though.

Read the books, you’ll realize he had a personality, SII’s usually don’t interact with regular civvies nor military personnel, but only other spartans, there are only a few exceptions like Kurt as well as Jorge and maybe a few other SII’s and other select military personnel like Halsey, Mendez SGT Major Johnson and both Keys. He did have personality and emotional depth to him.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> Because maybe they don’t much care for the Chief and would rather see someone without the personality of a brick be the main character?

There’s a difference between personality and character. A character can be bouncing up and down all over and be incredibly enthusiastic, but at the end of the day, that character has personality, but no definable character.

Calling Chief’s character bad because he exhibits no personality is the most nonsensical, short-sighted complaint given that Chief’s entire upbringing and existence is revolves around him being emotionally dead so that he is able to fulfill his role as the ultimate killing machine and master tactician.

People don’t give Chief enough credit because they’re not willing to look at him as anything other than a generic space Marine. Chief’s character in the games is very subtle, but it’s still there, and more than enough. At various times in Halo CE-3, but especially in 4, Chief’s subtle character development comes through his underlying humanity conflicting with his indoctrination. The seeds of that kind of character development were sown in Halo CE-3, and 343i is expanding on it in a very interesting and believable way. This is a genius concept that people need to learn to appreciate rather than brushing it off and assuming there’s nothing to it.

> 2533274812652989;7:

Sorry DecepticonCobra, but I have to post this after reading your statement:

“He flew pretty good, for a brick!”
-Srgt Johnson

OP, people are speculating about Chief’s death because he has been branded a traitor and it seems ONI wants answers. And failing answers, they may want a sniper rifle bullet to end Chief. That trailer went a long way to create speculation about Chief’s death.

Oh I have no problem seeing Chief for the real depth he has, I can merely see why some people couldn’t care less and see him as just a generic space marine. As seen here, HALO 4: DOES IT DECONSTRUCT BUNGIE’S CHIEF?, and here, CHIEF AND CORTANA: HALO 4’S SAVING GRACE, I see Chief’s true character shine. But again, I’d like more varied protagonists than his stoic character.

because nowadays the “mature” thing to do is kill the protagonist otherwise, well you know it is just a Disney movie or some ****… because…reasons. #cooldarkandedgy

thank God some developers have more common sense than that (like CDPR for instance who knew killing Geralt off by default was moronic). Let’s hope 343 understands this as well.

> 2533274800110367;14:
> because nowadays the “mature” thing to do is kill the protagonist otherwise, well you know it is just a Disney movie or some ****… because…reasons. #cooldarkandedgy
>
> thank God some developers have more common sense than that (like CDPR for instance who knew killing Geralt off by default was moronic). Let’s hope 343 understands this as well.

Seeing as how 343 did everything they could to make Chief work as a real character with actual depth in Halo 4, I don’t see them ditching him. I think Locke has a better chance at dying than Chief.

> 2533274812652989;15:
> > 2533274800110367;14:
> > because nowadays the “mature” thing to do is kill the protagonist otherwise, well you know it is just a Disney movie or some ****… because…reasons. #cooldarkandedgy
> >
> > thank God some developers have more common sense than that (like CDPR for instance who knew killing Geralt off by default was moronic). Let’s hope 343 understands this as well.
>
>
> Seeing as how 343 did everything they could to make Chief work as a real character with actual depth in Halo 4, I don’t see them ditching him. I think Locke has a better chance at dying than Chief.

not the point. I know chances are he is not gonna be killed off by 343, but that is the mentality of certain people…clamoring for the death of
Shepard in ME3, clamoring for the death of Marcus and delta Squad in Gears, clamoring for the death of Batman in Arkham Knight,

hell back in the day there was a post on bungie.net about this guy who wanted halo 2 to end with the chief being forced to watch Earth burn at gunpoint on his knees and then be shot in the head…

and the CRAZY thing is that sometimes the devs LISTEN to this crap. And THAT is why I never finalize the purchase of a game I have even a modicum of emotional investment in without full spoilers.

> 2533274800110367;16:
> > 2533274812652989;15:
> > > 2533274800110367;14:
> > > because nowadays the “mature” thing to do is kill the protagonist otherwise, well you know it is just a Disney movie or some ****… because…reasons. #cooldarkandedgy
> > >
> > > thank God some developers have more common sense than that (like CDPR for instance who knew killing Geralt off by default was moronic). Let’s hope 343 understands this as well.
> >
> >
> > Seeing as how 343 did everything they could to make Chief work as a real character with actual depth in Halo 4, I don’t see them ditching him. I think Locke has a better chance at dying than Chief.
>
>
> not the point. I know chances are he is not gonna be killed off by 343, but that is the mentality of certain people…clamoring for the death of
> Shepard in ME3, clamoring for the death of Marcus and delta Squad in Gears, clamoring for the death of Batman in Arkham Knight,
>
> hell back in the day there was a post on bungie.net about this guy who wanted halo 2 to end with the chief being forced to watch Earth burn at gunpoint on his knees and then be shot in the head…
>
> and the CRAZY thing is that sometimes the devs LISTEN to this crap. And THAT is why I never finalize the purchase of a game I have even a modicum of emotional investment in without full spoilers.

Just depends on whether or not people actually care about said characters. Like I said up top, if they see Chief as some generic space marine with the personality of a brick, they may not see a big deal in having Chief die. I certainly don’t see Chief as the greatest character in Halo myself and wouldn’t mind new protagonists every once in a while, but killing him would be series suicide and I’d hate to see further development cease in making Chief a better character.

> 2533274812652989;17:
> > 2533274800110367;16:
> > > 2533274812652989;15:
> > > > 2533274800110367;14:
> > > > because nowadays the “mature” thing to do is kill the protagonist otherwise, well you know it is just a Disney movie or some ****… because…reasons. #cooldarkandedgy
> > > >
> > > > thank God some developers have more common sense than that (like CDPR for instance who knew killing Geralt off by default was moronic). Let’s hope 343 understands this as well.
> > >
> > >
> > > Seeing as how 343 did everything they could to make Chief work as a real character with actual depth in Halo 4, I don’t see them ditching him. I think Locke has a better chance at dying than Chief.
> >
> >
> > not the point. I know chances are he is not gonna be killed off by 343, but that is the mentality of certain people…clamoring for the death of
> > Shepard in ME3, clamoring for the death of Marcus and delta Squad in Gears, clamoring for the death of Batman in Arkham Knight,
> >
> > hell back in the day there was a post on bungie.net about this guy who wanted halo 2 to end with the chief being forced to watch Earth burn at gunpoint on his knees and then be shot in the head…
> >
> > and the CRAZY thing is that sometimes the devs LISTEN to this crap. And THAT is why I never finalize the purchase of a game I have even a modicum of emotional investment in without full spoilers.
>
>
> Just depends on whether or not people actually care about said characters. Like I said up top, if they see Chief as some generic space marine with the personality of a brick, they may not see a big deal in having Chief die. I certainly don’t see Chief as the greatest character in Halo myself and wouldn’t mind new protagonists every once in a while, but killing him would be series suicide and I’d hate to see further development cease in making Chief a better character.

oh no these guys argue that IF you love the character you have no emotional payoff unless the hero dies…

for them it is not a question of “if he dies it’s ok” but more of “he MUST die or else this is a children movie of some sort and those who do not agree do not like the franchise or are immature teenagers”

I don’t think they will kill off Chief.

I’d also be pretty annoyed if they killed him off just to replace him with one of their own creations.

> hell back in the day there was a post on bungie.net about this guy who wanted halo 2 to end with the chief being forced to watch Earth burn at gunpoint on his knees and then be shot in the head…

Locke finally catches up to the Chief.
Locke accuses Chief of being the real villain.
Chief reflects on Locke’s words and agrees, and begs Locke to help him end this madness.
After killing the Chief, Locke sits there brooding over what he has done.
Every Linkin Park song ever made starts playing simultaneously as Locke raises his gun to his head.
Visuals get all dark and grainy as we see flashbacks of Locke’s Past.
Screen blacks out, a bang is heard, Locke is on the ground dead.
His tears cause a beautiful flower to grow on the spot.
Flower is heard brooding over the cruelty of life and wilts away immediately.

Didact was watching the whole time from off set.
Peers down at script, reads where he is apparently supposed to enter scene and brood over the futility of upholding the Mantle.
Drops script, starts to walk back to trailer.
Microsoft Execs try to intercept him and remind him that he is under contract.
Didact refuses, shoves them aside with his force powers, and is heard shouting “Who wrote this -Yoinking!- garbage?”

Because 343 can not handle living in Bungies shadow so they have to do something so drastic as to kill off a main character. Locke is their new main character expect him to lead H6.