Why do people irrationally hate Locke already?

Seriously, based on some of the comments I’ve seen directed at Locke, I’m truly at a loss in figuring out just what Locke did to warrant such hatred towards a character who hasn’t really done anything to warrant it yet. This has been going one for months now and I am non-the-wiser in seeing the reasons. I can’t see anything particularly bad about him from Halo: Nightfall. The show itself may not have been the best, but Locke in that showed that he had fairly admirable moral convictions. I mean, he did not flat out kill the two miners of the mystery element and attempted to keep them alive, more than what a typical ONI agent might do. When his men abandoned him to save their own hides, Locke did not and stuck with Aiken and Mercer. So I don’t see why he would deserve hatred and calls for his death from that.

Is it because of some perceived disrespect from Locke towards the Master Chief? Based on the Halo 5 2015 E3 trailer for the campaign I don’t see it. He calls the Chief “just another target”, but how much of that is to reassure the rest of his team and try to get them to focus on the mission and how much is there to perhaps do the same for himself? Hell, he pretty much even admits when he says, “You’re not the only one here because of him,” that one of the reasons he became a Spartan was because of the Chief. Frankly, Locke seems to have as much respect for Chief as most fans seem to and that would likely make him take his mission far more seriously than any other soldier. Imagine sending some cocky former ODSTs turned Spartan-IVs who have the mindset that some ODSTS had about the Spartans being pampered wimps. They would go in and get creamed because they would underestimate Blue Team. I don’t see Locke leading Osiris into that kind of slaughter. In fact, his missions isn’t even to kill the Chief, but to find him and bring him in for questioning for simply vanishing and reappearing turning on giant Forerunner war machines.

So once again, I’m still confused by Locke gets so much irrational hate thrown his way. He appears to have a strong moral code and a healthy respect for the Chief. Why does such a character deserve a bullet between the eyes?

I think it’s with that statue trailer. A human pointing a gun at the hero himself after 32 years of saving their skins is bound to annoy someone. I didn’t persevere through Cortana on legendary just to get killed by some spook.

I think people perceive him as the antagonist. Some of the HuntTheTruth promotions confused the hell out of people. The live action commercials where Locke points a gun at Chief, and then Chief points a gun at Locke made people think Locke was an antagonist. It didn’t help that these aired after the video of a sniper bullet with the word traitor on it destroyed Chief’s helmet.

Basically, I think Locke is perceived as an enemy. Trying to kill Chief, even though those following the story so far know that it’s not that cut and dry.

He gets hate because of the Live action trailer, because people have this idea that Chief is untouchable, and the sheer notion that Locke could beat chief angers people.

The odd thing about those trailers is that both the ones for Chief and Locke seemed antagonistic on both sides.

> 2533274812652989;5:
> The odd thing about those trailers is that both the ones for Chief and Locke seemed antagonistic on both sides.

They sure did. I can’t wait to get to know Locke better. I have always been excited, but after Ike Amadi started voicing the character I was sold even more. Colter made the character interesting; Amadi has made the character engrossing.

I don’t dislike Locke (I haven’t seen enough of him to justify that yet), but I do hate 343 shoehorning him as a great guy. Personally he seems a little one dimensional being the great caring tough bad “yoink” solider that helps his men. I have yet to see any real flaws in him and they just keep doing that. Hopefully Halo 5 will give him some flaws, because honestly it just seems like he’s going to be the one dimensional dude because 343 HAS to get people to like Locke… I mean I already know he’s going to be a good guy because of the way they’re portraying him. Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t like the way 343 is doing it.

I suppose it’s because a lot of people see Locke as a threat to Master chief and don’t want another character to potentially steal his thunder. Also, the media has made Locke look like he hates Chief and wants to murder him.

I think people saw Locke as the antagonist when that first ad for Halo 5 came out with Locke pointing a Magnum at the Chief, so when people found out Locke may try to kill Chief, people lost it. I’m excited to see Chief’s and Locke’s side of this story and don’t really dislike any of the characters right now. But I’m still playing as Buck when I’m playing on Fireteam Osiris.

Affirmative action?

Go easy on me, I’m kidding.

The campaign of Halo 5 Guardians will probably have parts in it where Chief does bad things that makes people who play the game change to Locke’s side. I think this ‘manhunt’ will keep on for maybe a couple of Halo games. If not, then I’m 99% sure that Halo 5 Guardians will have a big, or even a HUGE campaign.

According to an interview with Frank O’Connor and I think her name was Kiki Wolfkill, he said the game starts out as a man hunt and turns into something else. So maybe Osiris and Blue Team come together for some reason. Can’t wait to see Locke and Chief’s story!

Right now i haven’t really got a problem with Locke but Nightfall didn’t do his character any help, acting wasn’t brilliant and the script was poor. But we haven’t really seen anything from him yet and people don’t like what they don’t recognize so when a newcomer is placed opposite the Chief its natural that people will pick Chief over Locke

To simply explain why people don’t like Locke is well because…

NOT CHIEF! BAD! BAD NOT CHIEF!

I wasn’t too much of a fan of him at first since if there are gonna be two playable characters, I didn’t want both of them to be humans. He’s pretty inoffensive to me, but I’m mainly just itching to play as an alien again.

I just think it’s the same reason everyone hated the Arbiter at first. It’s an antagonist that you play as that is against the Master Chief. It’s like, blasphemy to a lot of people. It won’t be until after Halo 5’s Campaign is done at the least, and possibly all the way to once Halo 6 is out, is when people will finally like Locke (if he does indeed turn out to be a well-written character, of course).

> 2533274823479666;16:
> I just think it’s the same reason everyone hated the Arbiter at first. It’s an antagonist that you play as that is against the Master Chief. It’s like, blasphemy to a lot of people. It won’t be until after Halo 5’s Campaign is done at the least, and possibly all the way to once Halo 6 is out, is when people will finally like Locke (if he does indeed turn out to be a well-written character, of course).

… if he’s still alive ;D

I know he’s supposed to be a long-term character, but still…

CUZ HE’S A NEW CHARACTER AND EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE HALO COMMUNITY HATES ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING NEW!

yea, jk.

Same reason people hated the arbiter at first I guess.

it’s not exactly unwarrented, he is hunting our hero. Anyone trying to take down our hero is a bad guy.