Why do people hate Spartan Charge?

I’ve always seen hate for Spartan Charge and Ground Pound, but I never understood why. I think they are both innovative mechanics that flow with the game, but everyone else hates it.

Could someone shed some light on this?

“Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.

I only hate it because at times you can clearly miss but you just “magnetize” to your opponent. Reduce that, and it’s fine.

Oh, and that one update where we had the ability to put a Speed Boost on and all Spartan Charges were immediate one shot kills.

Because running strait at an opponent should not be effective, especially when you have pelted them with a million bullets. You people might say that it’s fine because it’s so easy to avoid, but my dad is 50 years old and plays halo. He doesn’t have the reaction time/controller skill to time it correctly.

It’s a cheap way to die.

Remove the knockback/HUD disruption and I’d be fine with it.

As it stands, it encourages a gross level of close combat where on certain maps sprinting straight into your enemies and around corners, and banking on the fact the mechanics will hamstring their aim is your saving grace.

> 2535419559331963;2:
> “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.

What is this “MW2” you’re talking about ? I just know Halo.
Halo is life, Halo is bae.

It’s a skill-less mechanic with ridiculous lunge range, ridiculous aim assist, knocks back your target, shakes his screen, and leaves him absolute.

The problem is that it’s a preferred tactic to just sprint all over the place and use a technique with a huge amount of aim assist to kill people who aren’t even looking.

What they should do is nerf the lunge range and give it zero aim assist. That way it’s an actual risk to use it, and timing it would then take some semblance of skill.

With reduced radar, it’s very hard to detect a spartan charge coming. In older halos with no charge no sprint and larger radar, if an opponent shoots at you first doesn’t mean he’s gonna win, and I really enjoyed that. But in H5 if you get charged first or charged in the middle of fighting it’s a really annoying instant death.

Also like mentioned above, the magnetism on the charge is insane. A lot of folks here will tell you that you can thrust to the side to avoid it, but most of the time I get hit anyways.

Where to begin… The charge has a ridiculous amount of aim assist that pulls the charging spartan towards you. I can’t help but be reminded of Champion Gundyr’s bs charge where he can turn a full 90° to hit you. Then there’s the knockback that leaves the person on the receiving end worse off than the person leading with the charge. Pair that with a laughably small radar and ridiculous range and you get the crutch melee lunge in all of its broken glory. I hope this ability gets scrapped for Halo 6 or heavily modified so it isn’t so much of a crutch for people who can’t aim (like give it a cooldown that doesn’t reset when you die so you can’t use it as frequently or tone down the range, aim assist, and knockback). Spartan pound gets very little hate and the hate it receives probably comes from the fact that it’s not very useful. It has a long charge time, leaves you exposed for a long time, and requires you to fall quite a distance else you’ll just pop someone’s shields. But honestly I prefer a very situational ability over a crutch like spartan charge.

> 2535433113586217;7:
> > 2535419559331963;2:
> > “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.
>
>
> What is this “MW2” you’re talking about ? I just know Halo.
> Halo is life, Halo is bae.

You never played Modern Warfare 2?

> 2535419559331963;2:
> “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.

Oh the “go back” replies
How original

groundpound is fine

spartan charge is cancer and I almost never want to use it (only use for mobility to save my thruster)

> 2535409489305717;11:
> > 2535433113586217;7:
> > > 2535419559331963;2:
> > > “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.
> >
> >
> > What is this “MW2” you’re talking about ? I just know Halo.
> > Halo is life, Halo is bae.
>
>
> You never played Modern Warfare 2?

I’m sure sarcasm is in there somewhere.
we just need to look harder

> 2533274968393436;14:
> > 2535409489305717;11:
> > > 2535433113586217;7:
> > > > 2535419559331963;2:
> > > > “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.
> > >
> > >
> > > What is this “MW2” you’re talking about ? I just know Halo.
> > > Halo is life, Halo is bae.
> >
> >
> > You never played Modern Warfare 2?
>
>
> I’m sure sarcasm is in there somewhere.
> we just need to look harder

We have a winner!

> 2535433113586217;15:
> > 2533274968393436;14:
> > > 2535409489305717;11:
> > > > 2535433113586217;7:
> > > > > 2535419559331963;2:
> > > > > “Innovative” If you want lunging overpowered melee attacks go back to MW2.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > What is this “MW2” you’re talking about ? I just know Halo.
> > > > Halo is life, Halo is bae.
> > >
> > >
> > > You never played Modern Warfare 2?
> >
> >
> > I’m sure sarcasm is in there somewhere.
> > we just need to look harder
>
>
> We have a winner!

Ikr

The way spartan charge locks on and curves to follow a moving target is no good, imo. Seems really cheap.

If there is gonna be a melee lunge that’s that long range, you should be required to aim ahead of the target and compensate for the angle.

I would even be okay with it if they increased the travel speed of the lunge if they took away the lock-on & homing.

I used to have a problem with it but I no longer do. I rarely see people just running around map trying to spartan charge.

Considering how much reward and in-game assisting mechanics the game provides for little skill usage, Spartan Charge is very overpowered. A Spartan Charging around a corner is usually not seen on the radar. By the time the victim sees the charger on the radar, it is usually way too late to react. Just by sprinting, a player can press melee onto an opponent, knock him back, and leave him at absolute health, allowing the charger to fire a single shot from the Assault Rifle to kill the victim.

Compared to Ground Pound, there is little counter play to a Charge. In the case of a Ground Pound, the player executing the pound makes a loud noise, alerting everyone in the vicinity. Furthermore, he is stationary in the air for about 2 seconds, leaving him vulnerable to getting picked off. Even when he executes the Ground Pound, the player must go through half a second’s worth of recovery frames, leaving him vulnerable. In comparison to a Spartan Charge, the damage and utility from a Ground Pound is justified for its risk, unlike the reward granted from a Spartan Charge. I would rather have a Ground Pound leave a player with absolute health while a Charge leaves a player with half health. That seems more justified for the respective risks of the two abilities.

I don’t like it since it encourages and rewards reckless play. Instead of carefully rounding a corner, checking sightlines and map knowledge just sprint round the corner and instantly remove the guys shields.