Why do people hate in game chat?

I feel like people really exaggerate how bad in game chat is.

Reasons I’ve heard:

• Screaming racists in every game
  • Screaming children in every game
  • People blasting -Yoink- music with -Yoink- sound quality
  • Everyone’s an -Yoink-

While I must admit you’ll run into one of these things every once in a while, from my experience it’s really not that often. Maybe once every dozen or so games, and I just instantly mute the offender.

Everyone locked behind party chat completely removes the social aspect of the game, except for talking to people you already know. Ever since there’s been so many more options in hardware and games to play, and growing up and having an actual schedule to deal with, it’s way way harder to actually get on with friends. And I’ve always loved meeting new people in game and queuing up together afterwards if only for the night.

It’s just a shame 99% of people aren’t participating in the social aspect. It’s fine if you really hate it, that’s your preference, just wish people would give it more of a chance. A friendly online community has been a strong point in the series to me, compared with other online games.

Just my two cents, would love to shoot the -Yoink- with you guys online come launch day for Halo 5.

I muted my mic shortly after the release of H2 for the reasons you mentioned. I really did try hard to communicate but it was really bad back then.

Because of the lack of choices for CE I’ve been doing a lot of customs and have unmuted my mic after over ten years of it being muted. It’s actually not as bad as it used to be.

We’ll see if it stays unmuted with the release of H5, though…

It just depends on the game. I didn’t mute alot of people in Halo 2/3 (as far as I can remember). I mute everyone immediately after getting into a lobby in Call of Duty though.

> 2535426759754872;3:
> It just depends on the game. I didn’t mute alot of people in Halo 2/3 (as far as I can remember). I mute everyone immediately after getting into a lobby in Call of Duty though.

Agreed. Also, I feel like a lot of people in CoD just have their Kinect mic on without either knowing or caring and you just hear random stuff going on all the time.

I stopped doing game chat when the kinect came into existence.

I had no problem with the silly racist 12 year olds and the kids. But when I hear the Eco of there game through my mic, plus what ever else is happening in a 25 ft radius, I just want to punch them through my TV. So I just stopped doing game chat.

> 2533274792068284;2:
> I muted my mic shortly after the release of H2 for the reasons you mentioned. I really did try hard to communicate but it was really bad back then.

I recall both 2 and 3 as being sewers. I really don’t give two cents if some idiot teenager wants to go off on me because he thinks I’m no good and should go back to Call of Duty. But when people like that go off on some really young and inexperienced player in the lobby - I just can’t listen to that. That kind of behavior is unforgivable and I don’t want to be a witness to it. Reach wasn’t much better, but some. Halo 4 has pretty universally been people behaving like adults. Don’t know what the difference is, except that maybe once all the super-competitive try-hards are gone from a game then you get a lot less rudeness and attitude. Don’t know what that says about Guardians, but you can bet that for the first few weeks I’ll be pretty guarded (no pun intended) about using my mic.

I think voice chat died when everybody started getting Kinects. It went from interesting conversation to hearing rooms full of screaming children, large crowds of foreignera yelling at each other, and of course Donnie D-bag playing really crappy music at really high volumes. This drove away decent mic users, and now voice chat is a wasteland of window-licking kids, crappy music, and several breeds of -Yoinks!-. It’s like an apocalypse story.

I liked that Halo had an option to mute all players. In most games I’ve played, I had to mute obnoxious players by hand. I own a mic but never use it. Don’t see the point of in game chat unless you are strategizing with your teammates. Mostly heavy breathers anyway

In game voice chat seemed to die a bit when party chat was released, people tended to just jump in to a party with friends rather than everyone just talking in game.

I have also developed a really bad habit of not plugging in a headset if I am playing online on my own, something I need to get myself out of.

> 2533274808623176;1:
> I feel like people really exaggerate how bad in game chat is.
>
> Reasons I’ve heard:
> - Screaming racists in every game
> - Screaming children in every game
> - People blasting -Yoink- music with -Yoink- sound quality
> - Everyone’s an -Yoink-
>
> While I must admit you’ll run into one of these things every once in a while, from my experience it’s really not that often. Maybe once every dozen or so games, and I just instantly mute the offender.
>
> Everyone locked behind party chat completely removes the social aspect of the game, except for talking to people you already know. Ever since there’s been so many more options in hardware and games to play, and growing up and having an actual schedule to deal with, it’s way way harder to actually get on with friends. And I’ve always loved meeting new people in game and queuing up together afterwards if only for the night.
>
> It’s just a shame 99% of people aren’t participating in the social aspect. It’s fine if you really hate it, that’s your preference, just wish people would give it more of a chance. A friendly online community has been a strong point in the series to me, compared with other online games.
>
> Just my two cents, would love to shoot the -Yoink- with you guys online come launch day for Halo 5.

Or they just don’t want to talk in game chat and just want to have fun.

> 2533274802695090;9:
> In game voice chat seemed to die a bit when party chat was released, people tended to just jump in to a party with friends rather than everyone just talking in game.
>
> I have also developed a really bad habit of not plugging in a headset if I am playing online on my own, something I need to get myself out of.

Yep people usually party up, don’t wanna talk, mute everyone or don’t know if anyone else has a mic. I’ve gotten people who had mics and added them to my friends list.

> 2533274792068284;2:
> I muted my mic shortly after the release of H2 for the reasons you mentioned. I really did try hard to communicate but it was really bad back then.
>
> Because of the lack of choices for CE I’ve been doing a lot of customs and have unmuted my mic after over ten years of it being muted. It’s actually not as bad as it used to be.
>
> We’ll see if it stays unmuted with the release of H5, though…

I just got my Astro A50 Halo 5 edition and plan to use to socialize with Halo “mature” community, no screaming, loud music…etc etc lets just have fun. I just came back to playing online and I notice that allot of people are not using their headsets…that is sad. :frowning:

> 2533274799722488;12:
> > 2533274792068284;2:
> > I muted my mic shortly after the release of H2 for the reasons you mentioned. I really did try hard to communicate but it was really bad back then.
> >
> > Because of the lack of choices for CE I’ve been doing a lot of customs and have unmuted my mic after over ten years of it being muted. It’s actually not as bad as it used to be.
> >
> > We’ll see if it stays unmuted with the release of H5, though…
>
>
> I just got my Astro A50 Halo 5 edition and plan to use to socialize with Halo “mature” community, no screaming, loud music…etc etc lets just have fun. I just came back to playing online and I notice that allot of people are not using their headsets…that is sad. :frowning:

Another reason I never used my mic was because it gave my friends some really bad feedback and echo (it was the a turtle beach). So I would turn it off when I was playing solo. I recently got the Astro 50s as well. And now I speak up freely knowing I won’t be a source of irritation for everyone else.

I actually use a mic for every game lobby I’m in in Master Chief Collection. First game I’ve been able to do that. It’s the first game community I haven’t found to be overbearing or obnoxious since the days of Halo 3 on X360. Unless I’m talking to the wife or my daughter is on the room my mic is usually plugged in, even if no one else’s is whether it be to simply to relay where enemies are on the map or listen to the game audio through my headset to not disturb my wife.

On Halo: MCC I’d say 90% of the other people I do encounter that use mics are actually really cool and mature people. Of course there’s the occasional annoying 13 year old or the random -Yoink- but those types quickly get muted. Also, if I’m being honest I have used my mic to scold teammates that seem to be doing so bad they seem to just be trolling game lobbies. Like last night, I played a game of Halo 2: Anniversary where the game ended at 50-19 with my team having 19 kills and myself having 17 of those kills and 1 other teammate having 2 kills. I did scold my teamates a little harshly for that.

I do wish more people used mics, even if they don’t wish to chat that’s fine with me. A simple “1 on my X” would suffice for me.

I usually don’t talk because I’m a girl. With the way MCC is right now, you run into a lot of the same people over and over. If you beat them (being a girl) they instantly don’t have anything nice to say- modded controller, catfish, etc. It’s quite upsetting.

people usually make fun of people on there

I am a sociopath.

Because all you get is trash talking noobs.

I have made over 100 friends on Xbox through game chat/partying up. Most of which I still play with occasionally. I love game chat and wish more games would have game modes that force game chat.