Why do people abuse grifball?

I played grifball not so long ago, with friends of mine that hadn’t played Halo for a while. Needless to say the game was full of people doing that thing where they spawn trap you. This ultimately made the people I was playing with mad and sub-sequentially eject Halo 4 and put Black Ops 2 back in.

Is spawn trapping an actual grifball strategy? or is it just k/d whores trying to get their k/d’s up? because I have since played grifball more on my own and its full of kids doing the same exact thing. Is this all a result of the removal of ranks starting with Halo Reach? that since Reach for some stupid reason people view a high k/d as an accurate representation of skill? (someone needs to tell these kids we have ranks now…sort of)

It’s a way for kids who can’t get kills in regular MM to make it look like they have actual skill. It’s sad that some people think boosting your K/D in Grifball is impressive. Hint: if Gravity Hammer is your favorite weapon I’m not impressed by your K/D.

Grifball is the easiest gametype to spawn trap in, so people do it. They get multikills, sprees, and their Hammer commendation up.

inb4SpawnKillingIsALegitimateStrategy

They abuse Grifball because it’s easy to get lots of kills really fast. It’s also really easy to spawn kill. This is NOT how the game is supposed to be played, though. It’s only alright if it’s for a few seconds before the ball carrier scores.

Is there nothing that can be done ? I find it hard to believe that 343 cant see it happening. Maybe grifball is fun if you have a full team of organised grifball players but I dont know…if the playlist is that easy to exploit and if its plainly not fun, how is it ever going to grow?

The same goes for the whole game to be honest, anyone remember social and ranked playlists? man they were cool. As well as visible ranks too, so people that wanted to show skill could and k/d was irrelevant, seems obvious to me.

If, while they spawnkill you, they are actually playing the objective and trying to score as fast as they can, then yes, it’s a legitimate strategy.

If they’re only spawnkilling while one guy sits in the back corner of the court holding the objective, then no, it’s not a legitimate strategy. If they’re holding the objective and spawnkilling, then it’s poor sportsmanship and tantamount to griefing.

Griefball.

While annoying, yeah, it’s legal “strategy”. So it seems we just have to, as they say:

#DealWithIt

I started a thread the other day complaining about spawn killing in griffbal and everyone disagreed and said to deal with it and its jus part of the game and we just werent good enough.

I say well if thats the case and nothing will ever be done about the kill--Yoink!- then i dont plan on playing it much.

Spawn killing just to rack up kills is prevalent in just about every game and honestly makes it a complete waste of time.

So i say to those who say deal with it or just get better how about screw grifball and i will stick with a playlist that doesnt have such a glarig problem.

The developers could employ a number of things to at least reduce the capability of spawn killing like a safe zone for your team. But no, apparently things are perfect and im just crazy. Whatever. Not my loss. Not anymore.

Reading all these has made me glad i have never tried griffbal.

Surely there is something 343 can do about the spawns, dont they normally swaps sides when all of the alive team is at on side so they spawn the other team at the opposite side.

Cant they do something like that for griffbal

> The developers could employ a number of things to at least reduce the capability of spawn killing like a safe zone for your team. But no, apparently things are perfect and im just crazy. Whatever. Not my loss. Not anymore.

A safe zone for the team would make it harder for defenders to interrupt bomb plants, as they’d spawn too far from the goal.

As it stands, there is a rather effective method for breaking out of a spawntrap, assuming there isn’t significant lag/latency altering the match. Swing your Gravity Hammer immediately or almost immediately upon spawning, and you should be able to take out one of the spawntrappers. Keep in mind that whether or not they’re playing the objective, they can only safely have three people spawnkilling your team of four.

> If, while they spawnkill you, they are actually playing the objective and trying to score as fast as they can, then yes, it’s a legitimate strategy.
>
> If they’re only spawnkilling while one guy sits in the back corner of the court holding the objective, then no, it’s not a legitimate strategy. If they’re holding the objective and spawnkilling, then it’s poor sportsmanship and tantamount to griefing.

Yeah thats exacly what they do. I cant play a game anymore now that my csr has gone up where there isnt an -Yoink- hole who doesnt hang out the entire game JUST running back and forth and killing my entire team over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Sometimes i can get free of our inzone and challenge him and manage to get a killjoy (not before he gets a rampage and a killionaire and more). Me and my friends are so sick of it we dont plan on playing grifball anymore.

> Surely there is something 343 can do about the spawns, dont they normally swaps sides when all of the alive team is at on side so they spawn the other team at the opposite side.
>
> Cant they do something like that for griffbal

If they added dynamic spawns to Grifball, then a spawntrapped team would spawn right on top of the enemy’s goal. Suddenly, defense becomes offense, everything becomes backwards, and a team gets handed a free score. :\

> If, while they spawnkill you, they are actually playing the objective and trying to score as fast as they can, then yes, it’s a legitimate strategy.
>
> If they’re only spawnkilling while one guy sits in the back corner of the court holding the objective, then no, it’s not a legitimate strategy. If they’re holding the objective and spawnkilling, then it’s poor sportsmanship and tantamount to griefing.

Pretty much this.

I play Tank. If I can tank the opposition back to their spawn while the runner scores, then I’ve done my job properly, and they didn’t. Competitive players have a name for this, ‘Map Control’. Even then I’m not the type of guy to stand behind a spawn point and swing, I bounce around their spawn like a -Yoink!-.

Edit : Or I’ll stay at their spawn and let them go after the Runner. While they get tunnel vision going after him, they ignore me, then it’s a simple pass for a score.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> Hint: if DMR is your favorite weapon I’m not impressed by your K/D.

Fix’d.

> The developers could employ a number of things to at least reduce the capability of spawn killing like a safe zone for your team. But no, apparently things are perfect and im just crazy. Whatever. Not my loss. Not anymore.

Like I told you last time, if you have suggestions, feel free to bring them up to Grifball Hub since they work closely with 343 on the gamtetype/map in MM. However I also explained why your ideas/concepts wouldn’t work and you seem to be choosing to ignore those facts.

Spawn-killing in Grifball started from Halo 3, not Reach lol.

IMO H3 Grifball was really bad if you started getting Spawn-killed. While in Reach and H4, you have Sprint so the maps are made larger.

Like what everyone says, you’re getting Spawn-killed for a reason, your team is doing horrible. When I play my intentions are not to bring up my K/D but to win the game. If I happen to be in your spawn zone, I’ll take that advantage and spawn kill so my team would win.

> > The developers could employ a number of things to at least reduce the capability of spawn killing <mark>like a safe zone</mark> for your team. But no, apparently things are perfect and im just crazy. Whatever. Not my loss. Not anymore.
>
> Like I told you last time, if you have suggestions, feel free to bring them up to Grifball Hub since they work closely with 343 on the gamtetype/map in MM. <mark>However I also explained why your ideas/concepts wouldn’t work and you seem to be choosing to ignore those facts.</mark>

I will. And I think a safe-zone would work just fine, like with a countdown timer at the inzone where if you stay around your enemies goal for more than ten seconds then you die. Or set up a one way shield where the players spawn in a small space behind the goal.

I am pretty upset over the whole thing because I like grifball. And I brought up a seriously annoying thing that happens to me and I got bashed to hell. And honestly it seems like you are acting a little tense towards me. I will post at grifballhub, fine. I got plenty of ideas.

And BTW as for my previous idea you explained why a shelf wouldn’t work because it causes a delay to get to the action. Point taken. However a safe zone can mean many things, one of which is the one-way-shield idea. I didn’t ignore your fact (singular) for my concept (singular).

I was playing it yesterday…pretty much went for Hammer kills. We still won all but twice though.

Look. I know I’m only OK at the game and I can get better. But that doesn’t mean that should be the excuse and let it happen to all the players who just want to play grifball for fun and find out it’s just a hammer-spamming kill fest. Nobody likes that except for the losers that do it and it’s not fun and completely frustrating if you like the game and at least try to play competitively. I play with a couple decent friends or randoms so sometimes we or I have no chance against much better players who completely abuse spawn-killing.