Why didnt the UNSC use bio weapons?

Wasnt sure where to post this but the topic says it all. I dont think any kind of weapons of war ban would matter when it comes to fighting aliens bent on your total annihilation. Over the decades that the war went on, why didnt some scientist of Halsey’s caliber (although more in the field of biology and such) create some kind of bio weapon tailored to the Elites? Surely they came across enough dead bodies and possibly captured enough live ones to experiment on to come up with some kind highly contagious and deadly disease or something. Idk, just a thought.

The thing about bio-weapons is that they’re very likely to backfire.

They were researching it but it would take a long time to find something to affect the various covenant races but not humans. You then have to consider planetary affects,the deliver system,how long should it last,etc.

Not really worth it.

[deleted]

> The UNSC can’t even master 1980s projectiles. They’ll probably end up producing bio weapons that are worse than the near future’s.

What garbage is this? Do you even know anything about the Halo weapons at all… quit with that nonsense.

There have been some experimentation with Bio Weapons by ONI, and other personnel in Halo, but none were deemed viable enough or had the potential that could end the war faster. The most recent Bio Weapon still has some testing to go through, and is honestly unnecessary, most Sanghelli’s and other Covenant species have come to terms since the war has ended for the most part.

Overall like others have said, they just are not as efficient as brute force, or military tactics are.

Post-War, this is explained that the UNSC never got good enough grasp of the Covenant species to develop proper Bio-Weapons. At one point, ONI was researching the Flood virus after Installation 04 (but whoever thinks they can control the Flood is obviously mad or stupid)

Post-War, the UNSC does have a Bio-Weapon that could wipe out probably nearly all of the Sangheili, but for ONI to deploy that, it would need the consent of the UNSC Security Council, and Lord Hood is set on honoring the treaty.
In a possibly dangerous situation, such as a full on war with the Sangheili again, ONI would unleash their new collection of Bio-Weapons.

[deleted]

> so tl:dr Neither the UNSC nor ONI have ever created a bio weapon that could help them in the war. Thank you for proving my point for me.
>
> And I think you missed something. UNSC weaponry is worse than the weapons we have now, except some nuclear weaponry of course. The UNSC is one of the worst sci fi factions in the history of sci fi factions. They can’t do anything right.

Actually, all UNSC rounds are armor-piercing. UNSC weapons would be of great value in the wars of today, tearing through most everything we currently have.

I don’t know what you are talking about. The only issue i see with the UNSC is the weaponry which was a massive mistake on bungies part.

[deleted]

> Armour piercing isn’t anything new.
>
> The M4 has a range of 500-600 meters.
> The AR (UNSC) has a range of 300 meters.

Armor piercing may not be new, but as far as I know we don’t have it in the rounds of everything from a pistol to an Assault Rifle. The ranges are poor though, but that was a mistake on Bungie’s part.

[deleted]

A big reason it may not be that effective is that the UNSC didn’t have any homeworld locations to use them.

You’re wondering why we never used biological weapons when the only planets that saw any fighting were UNSC held planets that the UNSC wanted to hold against the Covenant? What is the point of bombing a world with biological weapons making it a lifeless rock essentially for the foreseeable future when the Covenant are trying to do the same? The UNSC would have to evacuate the entire planet before bombing it and the Covenant would most likely evacuate at the same time to start glassing the planet, resulting in biological weapons being useless. The only time it would be useful is if the UNSC managed to locate a Covenant held planet and managed to fire the bio weapons at the planet. Which the UNSC couldn’t do as up until the end of the war the UNSC didn’t know where any Covenant planet was.

Basically, you don’t use biological weapons on your own territory as the enemy is not hurt in any appreciable way, all you would be doing is their job for them. The Covenant had no intention of occupying the worlds they attacked, they intended to make them lifeless and to exterminate us.

I think the only logical explanation for this is that they probably didn’t think to scientifically project each aspect of Halo from a realistic point of view. I know Treyarch did this for Black Ops 2, but at this point, I don’t think there’s much that can be done aside from retconning or completely reworking the timeline to make it happen a few centuries earlier.

To be fair, ONI tried using the Flood, but if you’ve read Halo Evolutions you know how that one turned out.

In Thursday War, ONI was using genetic engineering to make Sangheili livestock inedible and even poisonous. They had Jul M’dama throwing up. And the UNSC does field Nerve Gas, which isn’t a Bio-weapon but it is the same idea.

• Miles

Two reasons.

One:
The UNSC rarely took Covenant prisoners. They rarely had the opportunity to do so. The few times they did was to try and extract information and yes, sometimes to use as test subjects.

Two:
Creating biological weapons is complicated and requires a number of things. For example, they’d need to first know what is toxic to the species they’re targeting and whether it would also be toxic for humanity. Furthermore, where would they use them? They didn’t know where any Covenant planets were. All the battles were fought on human worlds or occasionally empty worlds used as small Covenant outposts. Using them on their own planets is too big a risk.

> Post-War, this is explained that the UNSC never got good enough grasp of the Covenant species to develop proper Bio-Weapons. At one point, ONI was researching the Flood virus after Installation 04 (but whoever thinks they can control the Flood is obviously mad or stupid)
>
> Post-War, the UNSC does have a Bio-Weapon that could wipe out probably nearly all of the Sangheili, but for ONI to deploy that, it would need the consent of the UNSC Security Council, and Lord Hood is set on honoring the treaty.
> In a possibly dangerous situation, such as a full on war with the Sangheili again, ONI would unleash their new collection of Bio-Weapons.

You seem to misunderstand ONI’s capability at producing anti-personal bio-weapons; as in they still can’t do it. The best they have come up with is the production of a crop that naturally kills off the native variety without providing the nutrients Sangheili biology depends on.

They did have a complete strain that targeted the sangheli