Why Didn't Spark Kill John on Installation 04?

If Guilty Spark wanted to stop John from destroying Installation 04, then why didn’t he use his laser beam to kill him (like he did with Johnson on Installation 04B). When he enters the gas mine above Threshold, we see him use it on a grunt (Halo CEA terminal 11) so we know that he has had beam weapon the whole time. Why did he never use it when John was destoying the reactors, relying on his less powerful sentinels instead?

Halo 3 and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary came out 7-11 years after 343 Guilty Spark was first envisioned by Bungie. The designers might not have thought it necessary to give the monitor any organic weapons capability when he already had a vast array of Aggressor Sentinels to do his dirty work in the game.

Real world? Because they dint think about it yet.

Lore wise? let’s just say he “forgot how to” and after the process of losing his installation figured it out because he was probably going more insane at that point…

My theory? His humming program and weapons protocols can’t run at the same time.

He didn’t want to damage the control room or his precious data repositories.

He didn’t care so much on I04B because he reaaaaly wanted to make sure it didn’t explode this time.

> 2533274964189700;5:
> He didn’t want to damage the control room or his precious data repositories.
>
> He didn’t care so much on I04B because he reaaaaly wanted to make sure it didn’t explode this time.

But he encounters Chief in the Pillar of Autumn as well. Remember when you see him while detonating the Autumn’s fusion reactors? He could easily have attacked Chief there and then.

> 2533274803493024;4:
> My theory? His humming program and weapons protocols can’t run at the same time.

Don’t forget talking. That also seems to interfere with the weapons systems…

343 used Hum! It’s not very effective…

Because plot.

Its like why hasn’t masterchief not been glassed yet or such.

> 2533274791742477;2:
> Halo 3 and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary came out 7-11 years after 343 Guilty Spark was first envisioned by Bungie. The designers might not have thought it necessary to give the monitor any organic weapons capability when he already had a vast array of Aggressor Sentinels to do his dirty work in the game.

It’s still a plot hole. a retroactive one, but still a hole.

> 2533274929494620;6:
> > 2533274964189700;5:
> > He didn’t want to damage the control room or his precious data repositories.
> >
> > He didn’t care so much on I04B because he reaaaaly wanted to make sure it didn’t explode this time.
>
>
> But he encounters Chief in the Pillar of Autumn as well. Remember when you see him while detonating the Autumn’s fusion reactors? He could easily have attacked Chief there and then.

That’s why i said precious data repositories. His main dialogue on the ship is him obsessing over the historical records kept in the ship,

Plot.

> 2533274964189700;10:
> > 2533274929494620;6:
> > > 2533274964189700;5:
> > > He didn’t want to damage the control room or his precious data repositories.
> > >
> > > He didn’t care so much on I04B because he reaaaaly wanted to make sure it didn’t explode this time.
> >
> >
> > But he encounters Chief in the Pillar of Autumn as well. Remember when you see him while detonating the Autumn’s fusion reactors? He could easily have attacked Chief there and then.
>
>
> That’s why i said precious data repositories. His main dialogue on the ship is him obsessing over the historical records kept in the ship,

I see your point. But part of me thinks that he would not mind sacrificing some data if it meant killing John-117 and preserving his installation. I know he’s fascinated by human achievement since he’s been isolated from humanity for so long, but every rampant urge he has should have made him want to protect the ring at any cost, and that he abides protocol.

He probably thought his sentals could do the job, but by the time he realized they suck… the ring went bye bye.