Why did they give zoom an ADS aesthetic?

As if it wasn’t odd enough that the zoom button was remapped to the left trigger, a lot of weapons feature an ADS-styled zoom, similar to that of many modern-day first person shooters. I understand that it’s purely a visual change and nothing more, but why was it added in the first place? 343 should’ve known replacing the classic zoom with ADS would cause quite a stir amongst Halo fans. In addition, the BR’s new holographic sight is a straight-up downgrade to the classic scope, as doesn’t zoom in as much and it’s bulky viewmodel can get in the way of your sightlines (imgur.com/ZquOeav).

I guess it’s supposed to seem realistic, though it’s not as if the classic zoom didn’t make sense canonically. Why was this change made?

Because it’s the ‘hip’ thing that everyone expects their shooter to have and 343I wants to reach out to a wider audience.

Not much else to say really.

shrug

Cause they felt like it? Cause they wanted to try a new look? I don’t think realistic as anything to do with it. And for those who don’t like left trigger zoom, just swap your control scheme.

Gameplay-wise it has little effect so I don’t see it as an issue.

I can justify it canonically, but it’s just my head-canon. Here goes:

Spartans can kind of “lazily” hold weapons and have the same/better aim than normal soldiers using good shooting mechanics.
So when Spartans look down the sight, or use these better mechanics, it gives them an edge in terms of weapon firing. Tightens spread, makes shots more accurate, or whatever.

It’s not pretty, but it justifies the idea to me. It’s how me brain werks.

It looks cool is one reason. Gameplay is a different story.

> 2533274953195665;1:
> As if it wasn’t odd enough that the zoom button was remapped to the left trigger, a lot of weapons feature an ADS-styled zoom, similar to that of many modern-day first person shooters. I understand that it’s purely a visual change and nothing more, but why was it added in the first place? 343 should’ve known replacing the classic zoom with ADS would cause quite a stir amongst Halo fans. In addition, the BR’s new holographic sight is a straight-up downgrade to the classic scope, as doesn’t zoom in as much and it’s bulky viewmodel can get in the way of your sightlines (imgur.com/ZquOeav).
>
> I guess it’s supposed to seem realistic, though it’s not as if the classic zoom didn’t make sense canonically. Why was this change made?

You can have the Lt zoom in every game on mcc. Plus just change the control scheme if you don’t like it

> 2533274803493024;4:
> I can justify it canonically, but it’s just my head-canon. Here goes:
>
> Spartans can kind of “lazily” hold weapons and have the same/better aim than normal soldiers using good shooting mechanics.
> So when Spartans look down the sight, or use these better mechanics, it gives them an edge in terms of weapon firing. Tightens spread, makes shots more accurate, or whatever.
>
> It’s not pretty, but it justifies the idea to me. It’s how me brain werks.

Good head cannon

> 2533274912254619;3:
> shrug
>
> Cause they felt like it? Cause they wanted to try a new look? I don’t think realistic as anything to do with it. And for those who don’t like left trigger zoom, just swap your control scheme.
>
> Gameplay-wise it has little effect so I don’t see it as an issue.

i think it was to bring new people. It doesnt modify spread much besides smg. Im glad the smg gets tighter spread, too innacurate imo

> 2533274898765950;6:
> > 2533274953195665;1:
> > As if it wasn’t odd enough that the zoom button was remapped to the left trigger, a lot of weapons feature an ADS-styled zoom, similar to that of many modern-day first person shooters. I understand that it’s purely a visual change and nothing more, but why was it added in the first place? 343 should’ve known replacing the classic zoom with ADS would cause quite a stir amongst Halo fans. In addition, the BR’s new holographic sight is a straight-up downgrade to the classic scope, as doesn’t zoom in as much and it’s bulky viewmodel can get in the way of your sightlines (imgur.com/ZquOeav).
> >
> > I guess it’s supposed to seem realistic, though it’s not as if the classic zoom didn’t make sense canonically. Why was this change made?
>
>
> You can have the Lt zoom in every game on mcc. Plus just change the control scheme if you don’t like it

I believe h3 and reach had it too

Ultimately, I think it was brought in to appeal to other fps players. It didn’t affect the way the game played in the beta so I’m cool with it

It was added to appeal to people who play other fps such as COD and Battlefield and thus increase sales. Microsoft probably told them to do it so they could get all the moniez.

> 2533274953195665;1:
> As if it wasn’t odd enough that the zoom button was remapped to the left trigger, a lot of weapons feature an ADS-styled zoom, similar to that of many modern-day first person shooters. I understand that it’s purely a visual change and nothing more, but why was it added in the first place? 343 should’ve known replacing the classic zoom with ADS would cause quite a stir amongst Halo fans. In addition, the BR’s new holographic sight is a straight-up downgrade to the classic scope, as doesn’t zoom in as much and it’s bulky viewmodel can get in the way of your sightlines (imgur.com/ZquOeav).
>
> I guess it’s supposed to seem realistic, though it’s not as if the classic zoom didn’t make sense canonically. Why was this change made?

You do know that Halo 4 and MCC has a left trigger zoom control scheme as well. The Zoom & Shoot. With grenades as rb, and melee as Right stick

> 2533274819302824;2:
> Because it’s the ‘hip’ thing that everyone expects their shooter to have and 343I wants to reach out to a wider audience.
>
> Not much else to say really.

OBJECTION!
You are calling them out based on an assumption.

Because it looks better? Is thematic?

I’ll try not to repeat some of the other good comments here.
Thank you for realizing the change is visual in nature and doesn’t ruin gameplay!

Personally, I don’t understand why people have a problem with it to begin with and I think a lot of complaints in the community have been coming from people so locked into the past that they should just stick with MCC and stay away from Halo 5 and the future of the series.

I did, however, finally see a legitimate argument against the new visual affect. That is that the old style of smart-link was instantaneous and this isn’t. That’s a fair point i hadn’t thought of, and that’s one opposing opinion I can respect.

But even then, I have played the beta, and, for a more recent refresher, watched videos.

• The animation, while not instant, is very fast. Any affect of slowing down gameplay is extremely minute, and the gameplay is faster than in the past anyway.
  • A greater time between zooming increases the ratio of risk vs reward.
  • Personally, I simply like the way it looks. It feels more immersive looking down sights than instantly switching to an altogether different screen.
  • The holographic HUD features projecting off of some weapons looks very cool.
  • It doesn’t hurt gameplay.
  • It’s still fair, because it’s the same for everyone.
  • It allows for slightly greater diversity and tactic in the feel of gameplay, even if subtly, which Halo has always shined in compared to other shooters. I say this because now EVERY weapon is now compatible with it, not just long-ranged ones, and it gives some weapons an alternative use.

People are saying it has no effect on gameplay, but did 343 confirm ADS’s increased accuracy from the beta will be removed or have people just forgotten about it?

> 2533274805105579;14:
> I’ll try not to repeat some of the other good comments here.
> Thank you for realizing the change is visual in nature and doesn’t ruin gameplay!
>
> Personally, I don’t understand why people have a problem with it to begin with and I think a lot of complaints in the community have been coming from people so locked into the past that they should just stick with MCC and stay away from Halo 5 and the future of the series.
>
> I did, however, finally see a legitimate argument against the new visual affect. That is that the old style of smart-link was instantaneous and this isn’t. That’s a fair point i hadn’t thought of, and that’s one opposing opinion I can respect.
>
> But even then, I have played the beta, and, for a more recent refresher, watched videos.
> - The animation, while not instant, is very fast. Any affect of slowing down gameplay is extremely minute, and the gameplay is faster than in the past anyway.
> - A greater time between zooming increases the ratio of risk vs reward.
> - Personally, I simply like the way it looks. It feels more immersive looking down sights than instantly switching to an altogether different screen.
> - The holographic HUD features projecting off of some weapons looks very cool.
> - It doesn’t hurt gameplay.
> - It’s still fair, because it’s the same for everyone.
> - It allows for slightly greater diversity and tactic in the feel of gameplay, even if subtly, which Halo has always shined in compared to other shooters. I say this because now EVERY weapon is now compatible with it, not just long-ranged ones, and it gives some weapons an alternative use.

WELL SAID! I like how each weapon has their own style when aiming. And it does look better when you aren’t switching screens to zoom. Sniper makes sense though.

I feel like ADS has been blown out of proportion by certain corners of our community. I didn’t personally feel like it fundamentally altered the game in anyway; just added a little flair to how the gun would zoom. It simply looks cooler and I’m okay with it.

As for controls: if you don’t like them, change them! I didn’t like it being left trigger in the beta, so I changed it to the Halo 4 control scheme, just like I did for MCC. No big deal.

In short, I like USS Galactica’s head canon and all of Warghost650’s points.

I thought of a possible reason why canonically a few days ago. Here’s the way I see it:

Since these Spartan IVs were prior service soldiers, Marines, ODSTs, and other standard infantry personnel in different branches, they’re used to raising their weapon to their face to aim in rather than keep their weapon “at the hip” using the smart scope we know from previous Halo games. It’s simply muscle memory. I mean, we see the Master Chief raise his weapon to his face in previous games, but like I said, it’s an idea.

Because they want to please the CoD kids?

> 2533274870038109;18:
> I thought of a possible reason why canonically a few days ago. Here’s the way I see it:
>
> Since these Spartan IVs were prior service soldiers, Marines, ODSTs, and other standard infantry personnel in different branches, they’re used to raising their weapon to their face to aim in rather than keep their weapon “at the hip” using the smart scope we know from previous Halo games. It’s simply muscle memory. I mean, we see the Master Chief raise his weapon to his face in previous games, but like I said, it’s an idea.

The muscle memory thing makes sense, but it wouldn’t work in those helmets, as they block you from actually putting your eye behind the sights. (Try looking down the rails in a paintball helmet; its tricky, and Mjolnir is even bulkier) Canonically speaking, and practically speaking, the animation for the new zoom doesn’t quite fit. They have said that it is still the HUD linking to the weapon, but the gun raises up, it doesn’t pop into view. So whetever camera/viewfinder the helmet is linking to would have to crawl down the Spartan’s arm first. Is that a huge deal? Not really, It would be better if they kept the ADS aesthetic but ditched the animation and made it instant again.

Unless the Spartan raises it up and then initiates the link, I guess… I dunno, it’s sort of weird.