Why did the Banished come to the Ark?

After playing through Halo Wars 2, I am not sure if I am missing something. But the game didn’t seem to explain how and why the Banished came to the Ark. Was it their safe haven from Cortana and the Created? Were they gearing up for a fight? No explanation as to how or why they got there.

> 2535418620496885;1:
> After playing through Halo Wars 2, I am not sure if I am missing something. But the game didn’t seem to explain how and why the Banished came to the Ark. Was it their safe haven from Cortana and the Created? Were they gearing up for a fight? No explanation as to how or why they got there.

Halo’s Slipspace travel is fast enough that the Banished could reach the Arc via conventional Slipspace travel if they had its coordinates. I expect that’s the “how” they got there. As for why, the Ark seems as good a place as anywhere for a Brute who wants to grow as powerful as possible, plus it is far enough away from anywhere that he could take it over before any reinforcements arrived. At least that’s my logic. The Banished may have other motivations which will be revealed later.

I believe it took the Rubicon like 3 weeks (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong) to get to the Ark without using the portal.

Considering how far HW2 takes place, it’s more than reasonable that the Banished were able to find it (they could have gotten it’s location from the Elites that later joined his faction or they could have found it while raiding other facilities and planets and what-not).

As for the why, I think you are correct when you say they were possibly “gearing up for a fight.” I mean which faction wouldn’t want to go to a Forerunner site ripe with Forerunner technology. That’s the reason Cutter was so bent on fighting the Banished because he realized how much of a threat they could be to everyone if they were left to their own devices on the Ark.

I was more disappointed that they never really explained how the Spirit of Fire got there. Ya, I mean they did say it was something like a Slipspace portal, but they never really expanded on it, that was pretty much it. Maybe a story for another time it seems.

I’ve heard rumor one of the DLCs will be a (small?) Banished campaign, so maybe that’ll shed some light.

> 2533274827334072;3:
> I believe it took the Rubicon like 3 weeks (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong) to get to the Ark without using the portal.
>
> Considering how far HW2 takes place, it’s more than reasonable that the Banished were able to find it (they could have gotten it’s location from the Elites that later joined his faction or they could have found it while raiding other facilities and planets and what-not).
>
> As for the why, I think you are correct when you say they were possibly “gearing up for a fight.” I mean which faction wouldn’t want to go to a Forerunner site ripe with Forerunner technology. That’s the reason Cutter was so bent on fighting the Banished because he realized how much of a threat they could be to everyone if they were left to their own devices on the Ark.
>
> I was more disappointed that they never really explained how the Spirit of Fire got there. Ya, I mean they did say it was something like a Slipspace portal, but they never really expanded on it, that was pretty much it. Maybe a story for another time it seems.

Not defending the way it was never explained how the SoF got to the ark buuuut. It wasn’t long after they arrived they recieved a signal from the arc. So there priorities probably went to that rather than finding out how they got there. You could also say that if they don’t know, and know one on the ark knows, then who could actually be there to explain it. Maybe they was sent there for a reason? By someone, or something? I believe the info about how they got there might of been deliberately left out for 2 reasons.

  1. To give the audience something to think about.
  2. So they can put as much focus as possible on conflict between the Banished and SoF. Adding ‘hows’ and ‘wheres’ might of made the story a mess like Halo 5 was.
    Anyway thats my 2 cents.

> 2533274856204101;5:
> > 2533274827334072;3:
> > I believe it took the Rubicon like 3 weeks (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong) to get to the Ark without using the portal.
> >
> > Considering how far HW2 takes place, it’s more than reasonable that the Banished were able to find it (they could have gotten it’s location from the Elites that later joined his faction or they could have found it while raiding other facilities and planets and what-not).
> >
> > As for the why, I think you are correct when you say they were possibly “gearing up for a fight.” I mean which faction wouldn’t want to go to a Forerunner site ripe with Forerunner technology. That’s the reason Cutter was so bent on fighting the Banished because he realized how much of a threat they could be to everyone if they were left to their own devices on the Ark.
> >
> > I was more disappointed that they never really explained how the Spirit of Fire got there. Ya, I mean they did say it was something like a Slipspace portal, but they never really expanded on it, that was pretty much it. Maybe a story for another time it seems.
>
> Not defending the way it was never explained how the SoF got to the ark buuuut. It wasn’t long after they arrived they recieved a signal from the arc. So there priorities probably went to that rather than finding out how they got there. You could also say that if they don’t know, and know one on the ark knows, then who could actually be there to explain it. Maybe they was sent there for a reason? By someone, or something? I believe the info about how they got there might of been deliberately left out for 2 reasons.
> 1) To give the audience something to think about.
> 2) So they can put as much focus as possible on conflict between the Banished and SoF. Adding ‘hows’ and ‘wheres’ might of made the story a mess like Halo 5 was.
> Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Oh I thought the game was a masterpiece with the occasional tiny flaw here and there. And I don’t think that one point I gave is a reason to discredit the entire game. And yes, you are right in that they had more dire things to focus on, so that’s why they kind of dropped that plot point. Again, I assume 343 will probably some-day explain the reason for SoF’s presence at the Ark.

I was just more pointing out that that reason was more questioning than how and why the Banished got there, I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

> 2533274827334072;3:
> I believe it took the Rubicon like 3 weeks (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong) to get to the Ark without using the portal.

The Rubicon began it’s journey to the Ark on December 2553 and arrived on August, 2554

> 2533274974033696;4:
> I’ve heard rumor one of the DLCs will be a (small?) Banished campaign, so maybe that’ll shed some light.

Maybe that’ll explain a lot. I would also assume that they would have a few more smaller ships. In the cut-scene showing Let 'Volir bowing before Atriox, there were at least 2 other ships in sight compared to the CAS Assault Carrier. Unless those ships didn’t follow, they should be there as well. Just something to put out there.

> 2533274972437337;8:
> > 2533274974033696;4:
> > I’ve heard rumor one of the DLCs will be a (small?) Banished campaign, so maybe that’ll shed some light.
>
> Maybe that’ll explain a lot. I would also assume that they would have a few more smaller ships. In the cut-scene showing Let 'Volir bowing before Atriox, there were at least 2 other ships in sight compared to the CAS Assault Carrier. Unless those ships didn’t follow, they should be there as well. Just something to put out there.

That, and in the Phoenix logs it’s mentioned that Let’s ship is the biggest in the Banished’s fleet, implying they have multiple ships. Maybe the other ships remained in the galaxy, with Let’s ship being the one taken to the Ark given it’s size and supplies. The Phoenix logs also mention Atriox having a plan, with the Ark being only the first part of it, so it makes sense he would want some of his forces to remain behind for the next parts of his plan.

I assume they were there to harvest Forerunner technology and potentially hijack the Halo ring to use as a gun point at the head of the universe.

> 2533274846307559;10:
> I assume they were there to harvest Forerunner technology and potentially hijack the Halo ring to use as a gun point at the head of the universe.

> 2533274974033696;9:
> > 2533274972437337;8:
> > > 2533274974033696;4:
> > > I’ve heard rumor one of the DLCs will be a (small?) Banished campaign, so maybe that’ll shed some light.
> >
> > Maybe that’ll explain a lot. I would also assume that they would have a few more smaller ships. In the cut-scene showing Let 'Volir bowing before Atriox, there were at least 2 other ships in sight compared to the CAS Assault Carrier. Unless those ships didn’t follow, they should be there as well. Just something to put out there.
>
> That, and in the Phoenix logs it’s mentioned that Let’s ship is the biggest in the Banished’s fleet, implying they have multiple ships. Maybe the other ships remained in the galaxy, with Let’s ship being the one taken to the Ark given it’s size and supplies. The Phoenix logs also mention Atriox having a plan, with the Ark being only the first part of it, so it makes sense he would want some of his forces to remain behind for the next parts of his plan.

Could any of his plan have to do with trying to beat the Created, and taking their place in forcing the galaxy to submit? That’s my theory. Because if hes gonna have a Halo to threaten the galaxy with, I doubt it would work on Cortana and the Created as they are AIs and therefore non living beings.

> 2535418620496885;11:
> > 2533274846307559;10:
> > I assume they were there to harvest Forerunner technology and potentially hijack the Halo ring to use as a gun point at the head of the universe.
>
>
>
> > 2533274974033696;9:
> > > 2533274972437337;8:
> > > > 2533274974033696;4:
> > > > I’ve heard rumor one of the DLCs will be a (small?) Banished campaign, so maybe that’ll shed some light.
> > >
> > > Maybe that’ll explain a lot. I would also assume that they would have a few more smaller ships. In the cut-scene showing Let 'Volir bowing before Atriox, there were at least 2 other ships in sight compared to the CAS Assault Carrier. Unless those ships didn’t follow, they should be there as well. Just something to put out there.
> >
> > That, and in the Phoenix logs it’s mentioned that Let’s ship is the biggest in the Banished’s fleet, implying they have multiple ships. Maybe the other ships remained in the galaxy, with Let’s ship being the one taken to the Ark given it’s size and supplies. The Phoenix logs also mention Atriox having a plan, with the Ark being only the first part of it, so it makes sense he would want some of his forces to remain behind for the next parts of his plan.
>
> Could any of his plan have to do with trying to beat the Created, and taking their place in forcing the galaxy to submit? That’s my theory. Because if hes gonna have a Halo to threaten the galaxy with, I doubt it would work on Cortana and the Created as they are AIs and therefore non living beings.

At this point, the Halo is only a means of getting back to the galaxy. Since the Ark can’t move, but Halos can.

> 2535418620496885;1:
> After playing through Halo Wars 2, I am not sure if I am missing something. But the game didn’t seem to explain how and why the Banished came to the Ark. Was it their safe haven from Cortana and the Created? Were they gearing up for a fight? No explanation as to how or why they got there.

Probably looking for forerunner super weapons.