Why did the Arbiter's anatomy change?

Why does the Arbiter Thel 'Vadam look like a Halo 4 Elite now? He looked elegant and intimidating in the Halo 2: Anniversary cinematics, why ruin it? I understand why Jul’s Elites have the Halo 4 look as they are from the planet Hesduros. Yet the Swords of Sanghelios ought to look like the H2A Elites, seeing as they’re from Sanghelios, no? Which brings me to my next point. Why do the Swords look just like the Elites of the Covenant?

My point is that the Arbiter just looks less noble and intimidating now, and I’m beyond both disappointed and baffled to say the least.

EDIT 1: For comparison purposes, I’ve added links to each model.

Halo 2: Anniversary Arbiter (A)
Halo 2: Anniversary Arbiter (B)
Halo 5 Arbiter
Halo 4 Elite

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, I’m not talking about his armor. I think his new armor makes him look like a king. I’'m talking about his anatomy.

I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.

Well as GrimBrotherOne of the canon fodder blogs put it everything such as model construction has a cost in this case time. Besides it isn’t something that is that important anyway.

I’m starting to become disconcerted at the community’s strong wish for a Sangheili race war. “Gaarrrgghh your mandibles are parallel to your eyes we will purge you vermin from the galaxy!”

> 2533274836465274;2:
> I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass, that’s what they did to the Arbiter.

or a person there to oppose an opinion tooth and nail. i don’t think he looks like a badass. instead of trying to censor and shut down opinions on a forum, why not argue or discuss the point or avoid the thread and give your 2c in your own thread.

> 2533274836465274;2:
> I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.

Has nothing to do with them looking like halo 2 or 3 u most likely have seen h2a cinematics and gameplay as well as halo 1,3, wars, and reach if the elites in those look the same because they are different then the hesduros 1s from halo 4 and 5 why would they make the sanghelios elites look like juls it doesnt make sense any way u put it , it has nothing to do with wanting carbon copies its all about consistency

Jesus Christ dude, sometimes i feel like i just entered a Nintendo forum, with people knee deep in nostalgia and aversion to change. Ive played Halo 2 countless times i don’t even remember how he looked in that game. He looked badass in the H5 trailer though.

> 2535466392605448;5:
> > 2533274836465274;2:
> > I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> > What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.
>
>
> Has nothing to do with them looking like halo 2 or 3 u most likely have seen h2a cinematics and gameplay as well as halo 1,3, wars, and reach if the elites in those look the same because they are different then the hesduros 1s from halo 4 and 5 why would they make the sanghelios elites look like juls it doesnt make sense any way u put it , it has nothing to do with wanting carbon copies its all about consistency

You really do not make any sense.

> 2533274822026756;7:
> > 2535466392605448;5:
> > > 2533274836465274;2:
> > > I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> > > What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.
> >
> >
> > Has nothing to do with them looking like halo 2 or 3 u most likely have seen h2a cinematics and gameplay as well as halo 1,3, wars, and reach if the elites in those look the same because they are different then the hesduros 1s from halo 4 and 5 why would they make the sanghelios elites look like juls it doesnt make sense any way u put it , it has nothing to do with wanting carbon copies its all about consistency
>
>
> You really do not make any sense.

How does he not make sense? He’s talking about maintaining consistency with the Elite designs that the other previous games have had.

Keeping consistency is not the same as making a carbon copy.

> 2533274836465274;2:
> What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.

wtf are you talking about??? it is a canon AND anatomy problem, he doesn’t look like him! that’s a big mistake dude!

> 2533274814289862;8:
> > 2533274822026756;7:
> > > 2535466392605448;5:
> > > > 2533274836465274;2:
> > > > I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> > > > What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.
> > >
> > >
> > > Has nothing to do with them looking like halo 2 or 3 u most likely have seen h2a cinematics and gameplay as well as halo 1,3, wars, and reach if the elites in those look the same because they are different then the hesduros 1s from halo 4 and 5 why would they make the sanghelios elites look like juls it doesnt make sense any way u put it , it has nothing to do with wanting carbon copies its all about consistency
> >
> >
> > You really do not make any sense.
>
>
> How does he not make sense? He’s talking about maintaining consistency with the Elite designs that the other previous games have had.
>
> Keeping consistency is not the same as making a carbon copy.

yeah, absolutely!

My wife really likes the Arbiter. But she’s a little annoyed about his appearance in Halo 5 being that of a Jul Mdama looking breed only with darker skin (that’s the most racist thing I’ve ever said about aliens). She really liked him in H2A and said it was “lazy” to not make him look the same in Halo 5.

… I was surprised by that response. I mean, I kinda agree; his mandibles are suddenly growing out of a different part of his head, but I pretty much just shrugged it off. I tried to explain that a lot of us were expecting different character models for Jul’s & Arby’s Elites, but that it looks like they’re simply going with armor and skin color to differentiate between the two. I told her about how Grim said the most recent games are usually held as canon, so it’s essentially a retcon and this is what Elites in the universe are meant to have always looked like. I also pointed out how they have changed throughout the Bungie games as well.

So she said “then why did they not look like Halo 4 Elites in Halo 2 Anniversary?” and I said “well, for Halo Anniversary, they used Reach models and everybody flipped out. So they were staying true to Halo 2’s art style (thank god) to prevent themselves from being tarred & feathered”.

Then she said “so aren’t they then pulling a retcon on their own prologue and epilogue of Halo 2 Anniversary?” And I said “Well, that was for convenience and consistency within that game.” Then I realized she thought about this stuff as much as I do and she doesn’t even play Halo. So I married her again.

But anyway, I kinda agree. They should have made one special character model at least for Arby. They did for the Ship Master in Halo 2. But maybe they just want to go with this one design for here on out so they don’t have to keep making two different models.

The Grunt in Halo 5 is a hybrid of the Halo 4/previous Grunts, and the Elites look like the Halo 4 design with textures of the H2A version, so I think they’re trying to blend the two styles.

Agree with OP!!! 343 just make Sanghelios Elites look like Sanghelios Elites as they were in Halo 2 A.

> 2533274883669557;11:
> My wife really likes the Arbiter. But she’s a little annoyed about his appearance in Halo 5 being that of a Jul Mdama looking breed only with darker skin (that’s the most racist thing I’ve ever said about aliens). She really liked him in H2A and said it was “lazy” to not make him look the same in Halo 5.
> … I was surprised by that response. I mean, I kinda agree; his mandibles are suddenly growing out of a different part of his head, but I pretty much just shrugged it off. I tried to explain that a lot of us were expecting different character models for Jul’s & Arby’s Elites, but that it looks like they’re simply going with armor and skin color to differentiate between the two. I told her about how Grim said the most recent games are usually held as canon, so it’s essentially a retcon and this is what Elites in the universe are meant to have always looked like. I also pointed out how they have changed throughout the Bungie games as well.
> So she said “then why did they not look like Halo 4 Elites in Halo 2 Anniversary?” and I said “well, for Halo Anniversary, they used Reach models and everybody flipped out. So they were staying true to Halo 2’s art style (thank god) to prevent themselves from being tarred & feathered”.
> Then she said “so aren’t they then pulling a retcon on their own prologue and epilogue of Halo 2 Anniversary?” And I said “Well, that was for convenience and consistency within that game.” Then I realized she thought about this stuff as much as I do and she doesn’t even play Halo. So I married her again.
>
> But anyway, I kinda agree. They should have made one special character model at least for Arby. They did for the Ship Master in Halo 2. But maybe they just want to go with this one design for here on out so they don’t have to keep making two different models.
>
> The Grunt in Halo 5 is a hybrid of the Halo 4/previous Grunts, and the Elites look like the Halo 4 design with textures of the H2A version, so I think they’re trying to blend the two styles.

yeah, I was one of those who thought they would have different anatomy… Halo 5 will be great, but 343 is confirmed lazy… so sad about that :frowning:

Call me crazy, but I don’t see any difference…maybe because I’m fastinated with his badass new amour
Anyway, I hope 343 makes some differences between Storm Covenant and Arbiter’s Faction Elites

> 2533274892367695;13:
> > 2533274883669557;11:
> > My wife really likes the Arbiter. But she’s a little annoyed about his appearance in Halo 5 being that of a Jul Mdama looking breed only with darker skin (that’s the most racist thing I’ve ever said about aliens). She really liked him in H2A and said it was “lazy” to not make him look the same in Halo 5.
> > … I was surprised by that response. I mean, I kinda agree; his mandibles are suddenly growing out of a different part of his head, but I pretty much just shrugged it off. I tried to explain that a lot of us were expecting different character models for Jul’s & Arby’s Elites, but that it looks like they’re simply going with armor and skin color to differentiate between the two. I told her about how Grim said the most recent games are usually held as canon, so it’s essentially a retcon and this is what Elites in the universe are meant to have always looked like. I also pointed out how they have changed throughout the Bungie games as well.
> > So she said “then why did they not look like Halo 4 Elites in Halo 2 Anniversary?” and I said “well, for Halo Anniversary, they used Reach models and everybody flipped out. So they were staying true to Halo 2’s art style (thank god) to prevent themselves from being tarred & feathered”.
> > Then she said “so aren’t they then pulling a retcon on their own prologue and epilogue of Halo 2 Anniversary?” And I said “Well, that was for convenience and consistency within that game.” Then I realized she thought about this stuff as much as I do and she doesn’t even play Halo. So I married her again.
> >
> > But anyway, I kinda agree. They should have made one special character model at least for Arby. They did for the Ship Master in Halo 2. But maybe they just want to go with this one design for here on out so they don’t have to keep making two different models.
> >
> > The Grunt in Halo 5 is a hybrid of the Halo 4/previous Grunts, and the Elites look like the Halo 4 design with textures of the H2A version, so I think they’re trying to blend the two styles.
>
>
> yeah, I was one of those who thought they would have different anatomy… Halo 5 will be great, but 343 is confirmed lazy… so sad about that :frowning:

I wouldn’t call it “lazy” … I think they’re just trying to move on with their art-style and don’t want to have to keep creating multiple models just to appease those of us who would even notice such a thing. I think the lazy thing to do would have been to just copy and paste the Halo 2 Arbiter in the game rather than build a new one.

Halo 5 is the new look they want to go with and Halo 2 Anniversary was just them staying true to the original. You can’t really blame them for wanting to utilize the artists they have and their own art style and character models and not recycling previous ones done by a different studio.

I still don’t understand how anyone can tell that the arbiter model is the Jul sangheili. All you can see is his skin which is darker than the rest and the eyes. You can’t say its the new armour because thats his kaidon armour that has the escalation. Plus i doubt that he will remove the helmet and the armor is very unique to Thel Vadam so i don’t see why they should’ve made a different modles. The SoS sangheili probably look more different to the Covernant remnant sangheili interms of armour.

> 2533274836395701;4:
> > 2533274836465274;2:
> > I wonder if there can, literally, be anything in any future Halo game that isn’t a carbon copy of Halo 2 or 3 without some reactionary fanboy crying “What the hell have they done with X!?!?” “Oh, they changed the shape of the rocks? The rocks!? Those rocks were canon! They’re no longer Halo rocks ― now they just look like every other rock! Halo is dead.”
> > What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass, that’s what they did to the Arbiter.
>
>
> or a person there to oppose an opinion tooth and nail. i don’t think he looks like a badass. instead of trying to censor and shut down opinions on a forum, why not argue or discuss the point or avoid the thread and give your 2c in your own thread.

As apposed to a person claiming that another is attempting to censor the forums (what is with this hyperbole from your side, by the way?) while simultaneously attempting to silence the aforementioned second person? My opinion is that this incessant complaining needs to stop, especially since the majority of it is conjecture or, like the post we’re currently debating, flat out wrong. Have you actually seen the character model for Thel? It actually isn’t the Jul model. Sorry to burst your bubble.
So—and I’m sorry if you perceive this as flaming, but this is an apt response—why don’t you take a page out of your own book and zip it while I have my “two cents”.

Erm, what are you talking about. From what I’ve seen so far, he has the same dark skin tone as the older elites. The only difference is the armor, which looks more ceremonial than anything. Looks like we’ll see him in combat with it as per the cutscene at the end of H2A, but the armor seems too flashy to be combat armor in my opinion.

> 2535466392605448;5:
> > 2533274836465274;2:
> > What did they do to the Arbiter, you ask? Well, they made him look like a badass. That’s what they did to the Arbiter.
>
>
> Has nothing to do with them looking like halo 2 or 3 u most likely have seen h2a cinematics and gameplay as well as halo 1,3, wars, and reach if the elites in those look the same because they are different then the hesduros 1s from halo 4 and 5 why would they make the sanghelios elites look like juls it doesnt make sense any way u put it , it has nothing to do with wanting carbon copies its all about consistency

Yeah, and have you actually seen the Arbiter’s model? Simply put — it’s not Jul’s model. Easy as that. Sometimes I legitimately wonder if you people actually know what you’re complaining about half of the time.

> 2533274892367695;9:
> > 2533274836465274;2:
>
>
> wtf are you talking about??? it is a canon AND anatomy problem, he doesn’t look like him! that’s a big mistake dude!

And I’m sorry, but what are you talking about? The Arbiter still looks like the Arbiter, as well as Usze ‘Taham, who we also saw in one of the cutscenes. If you pay attention instead of incessantly whining, you’ll notice that the eyes are well above the jaw line, just as they were in Halo 2 and 3. Unless you’re complaining about the armour, which is explained in the expanded universe.
The only big mistake here is your overuse of question marks and your inability to hop off of the bandwagon and form your own views.