wHY DID MLG rEVERT BACK TO HALO 3 SETTINGS IF REACH IS SO GOOD?

MLG has gradually become more and more like halo 3. It has finally become a very good gametype. The only issues left are the unfixable ones which included overpowered nades and the ability for the DMR to be precise even from 50 miles away. I just don’t know how competitive gamers can defend default reach anymore.

It’s just that Halo 1-3 had more competitive merit than Reach. The competitive community makes up maybe 3% of the total gaming population so you can’t really base how good or bad a game is off that community’s opinion.

MlG is the authority on competitive gaming. They work towards actually creating balance in games which is something developers fail at commonly. A great portion of the competitive crowd is gone from reach already. The arena shows this.

Yes, and they likely won’t return to Halo until Halo 4 draws closer.

> MlG is the authority on competitive gaming. They work towards actually creating balance in games which is something developers fail at commonly. A great portion of the competitive crowd is gone from reach already. The arena shows this.

How many games has MLG released?

> > MlG is the authority on competitive gaming. They work towards actually creating balance in games which is something developers fail at commonly. A great portion of the competitive crowd is gone from reach already. The arena shows this.
>
> How many games has MLG released?

That’s not at all the point of his post. He is saying they take the most competitive games on the console and on PC and host high-level tournaments for them. They don’t have to be game developers to know what they want in a competitive, balanced game.

Competitive gamers defending Reach settings? I didn’t think they ever did :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, i just found that funny Viper. Default settings are abysmal from a competitive standpoint.

Also it’s irrelevant on how many games MLG has made. Sure they are no game developers but can you honestly think of anyone better qualified to put in their two cents for competitive Halo? Nice stab though, but that’s not the point of this topic.

Living dead kids and haters who get pooped on by good players will disagree and that MLG should go burn in a fire, but i just don’t get where all the hate and dismissal from MLG comes from on this forum sometimes.

They didn’t switch back to H3, they switched back to Halo.

The MLG is loving NoBloom, if you think anything differntly than go to their forums and check it out.

Thanks again for you passion and caring 343i!

> you can’t really base how good or bad a game is off that community’s opinion.

you can when they are the ones who (for the most part) actually understand the game.

> Living dead kids and haters who get pooped on by good players will disagree and that MLG should go burn in a fire, but i just don’t get where all the hate and dismissal from MLG comes from on this forum sometimes.

it comes from being demolished by MLG kids, then probably mocked afterwards by the fairly typical ‘bad mannered’ MLG players. people dont like getting destroyed at halo.

> Competitive gamers defending Reach settings? I didn’t think they ever did :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, i just found that funny Viper. Default settings are abysmal from a competitive standpoint.
>
> Also it’s irrelevant on how many games MLG has made. Sure they are no game developers but can you honestly think of anyone better qualified to put in their two cents for competitive Halo? Nice stab though, but that’s not the point of this topic.
>
>
> Living dead kids and haters who get pooped on by good players will disagree and that MLG should go burn in a fire, but i just don’t get where all the hate and dismissal from MLG comes from on this forum sometimes.

Is it me or is this the best response i have ever seen…

Btw i agree with you on this decimal! players that don’t work together to get better bicker so much they complain about the 3 percents players that love competition and determination to rise above the average players! Its been that way sense the NES and pong for console gaming!

> MLG has gradually become more and more like halo 3. It has finally become a very good gametype. The only issues left are the unfixable ones which included overpowered nades and the ability for the DMR to be precise even from 50 miles away. I just don’t know how competitive gamers can defend default reach anymore.

I have a question, what does it matter that the DMR is very precise up to the hyperboled 50miles, when MLG uses arena maps in the first place?
And wasn’t it a complaint within MLG’s forums that the Pistol has a default spread that is noticeable on arena sized maps and therefore “unacceptable in the competitive community?”
Thirdly, didn’t the H3BR become less than precise when cross-mapping on Heretic? Spread wise, it would take 5-7 shots to kill with perfect shooting 1vs1 base to base.

I am also confused on how a ZB DMR emulates an H3BR. Kill time-wise, though one is a 5-shot and the other a 4-shot, the former is a 5-bullet kill and the later a 12-bullet kill. The former hitscan, the later projectile.
The 85% NR would emulate the H3BR not exactly, but enough to feel homely at 120% speed.

At 120%, how are grenades still OPed? I agree they’re no 2second fuse like Halo:CE, but they’re still to big eh?

Otherwise, MLG will alter the available settings to how they wish to use them. As they have it, it is a mix of Halo2 with some CE.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

>

Start of a political joke? Not sure if i recommend that course of action :stuck_out_tongue:

With respect to any real MLGers here in this thread…

MLG has absolutely no bearing on my ability to play this or any other previous Halo game. I"ve enjoyed them all no matter what settings they have been at.

I adapt to the game, not the other way around.

MLG IS a small portion of the Halo community. If it went away it really wouldn’t affect the community at large. Sorry fellows, maybe you just don’t want to see that seeing as you are making money at the game.

In all my years playing Halo I’ve only had one friend ONE, go to an MLG event. That was only because it was in his city.

Would I go to see an MLG competition in my city? Maybe, but likely no.

You fellows play on maps and settings the rest of the world mostly does not.

If you played the game on the settings the developers set from the beginning maybe I’d be more interested.

Again fellows, I do mean that with respect. Please release you’re living in a bubble if you feel MLG is the end all be all to Halo or any other shooter/competitive game.

Now for those who will say they would crush me in a game, sure no doubts, but that isn’t the point with me. I play Halo for fun and light competition. I fair pretty well most times and that has a lot to do with whom I game with and the strategies we have developed over time.

Respectfully,
HFFL

It might have a little something with the condescending nature and lack of good sportsmanship that plagues the competitive community". "I mean, look at your post, you insult everyone who disagrees with you and then ask “why do so many hate MLG”?

I’d the answer is pretty clear.

It might also have to do with all the elitism, trash talk, and boosting/deranking the competitive “community” inspires in the rest of the gaming world. It might have to do with how the competitive “community” is ruing innovation in this industry, forcing developers to release the same rehashed “competitive” shooter mechanics every year instead of creating new IPs and ideas. It might be how MLG is strangling the gaming industry with it’s SOOPER HARDCORE multiplayer experiences, while crafting original artistic stories and environments is no longer a concern. Oh, and it might have something to do with how the competitive “community” doesn’t care about games. They take an artistic experience, strip it of it’s variety, dumb down their games so it’s nothing more than who can shoot faster.

Call it a hunch, but that might have something to do with it. MLG is killing the gaming industry so they can make as much money in as short of a time as possible. Competitive gaming should have died with arcades in the 80’s.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please stay on-topic.

It wasn’t really a joke, just pointing out similarities.

Only believing your own beliefs to be correct, thinking everyone else is wrong.

Acting like they are the minority and hated on by everyone.

Claiming that they are the end-all, unique and only power that has the ability to have a certain belief.

Me personally, I always find it hilarious how Halo players think their games are so competitive.

Take away the ridiculous amounts of aim assist, bullet magnetism and auto-aim and you’d have yourself a bunch of headless chickens running around.

Now on to what “competitiveness” Halo can have… Who is the judge of that? I find games that take more strategy and tactics to be infinitely more competitive than anything that a console can provide. Games like Starcraft, Total War games and Chess are insanely more complicated and have infinitely more strategies than ANY Halo game.

Consoles just can’t hang with the PC, especially all of the “help” console gamers are provided. Even FPS games, just for the SINGLE FACT that there isn’t any kind of auto-aim or aim assist, it makes PC games more competitive. It’s all about the player’s own personal skill, which if I’m not mistaken, is what MLG tries to do with Halo.

This point also makes me cringe when people try saying Halo 2 is the most competitive Halo game… I mean you can at least make a decent argument for Halo 1, but Halo 2? That game failed in so many regards from a competitive standpoint.

Now, after that fact MLG is just a single institution. Sure, they make a more “competitive game”, but that’s according to their standards. Even super competitive players have different standards than what they think should be “competitive” or not.

I mean sure, use the MLG settings and say that it’s competitive… ACCORDING to MLG standards. Don’t go around telling everyone that they are terrible at the game and that you and the MLG players are so much superior. (Remind anyone of Rick Perry yet?)

Basically… Yes, MLG makes games more competitive to MLG players, but that doesn’t apply to everyone and doesn’t seriously apply to competitive gamers.

Me personally, I’ve been playing Halo for a decade now. I am very good at all Halo games and have a “jack of all trades” playstyle, with a special ability to be great with vehicles.

To me and other gamers, Big Team Battle provides the most competitive experience due to the amount of available strategies (Most MLG maps are tiny, easy to memorize and have little variation of tactics), the ability to incorporate vehicles to the gameplay to add more depth, and just overall allows for more strategic matches.

Can anyone say for a fact that I am wrong?

It’s just like trying to say football takes more skill than baseball… They are completely different games and require completely different skillsets. Any attempts at arguing either way are just sad.

Are apples better than bananas? I don’t know, I like bananas more. Trying to tell me that apples are better than banana’s for a fact is the exact same thing as trying to say MLG Halo takes more skill than other Halo game variants.

It has been brought up and requested several times from people at the MLG forums that, in terms of a business standpoint, MLG would benefit more by using more default settings and maps that casual players can relate to. The thing is, Bungie released a subpar game in regards to balanced maps and game mechanics. 343i has now given the assets needed to make the game more “default” with the remade, better balanced maps and the zero bloom. These things would draw in more viewers to the MLG events and allow the more casual players something to relate to better. Once again, this has been addressed and backed by many MLG players and is something I hope is implemented over time.

When you said that the competitive community just wants it to come down to whoever can shoot faster, that is false. Competitive players just want the most balanced settings and have to “strip” them down to get them.

> > Living dead kids and haters who get pooped on by good players will disagree and that MLG should go burn in a fire, but i just don’t get where all the hate and dismissal from MLG comes from on this forum sometimes.
>
> It might have a little something with the condescending nature and lack of good sportsmanship that plagues the competitive community". "I mean, look at your post, you insult everyone who disagrees with you and then ask “why do so many hate MLG”?
>
>
> I’d the answer is pretty clear.
>
>
> It might also have to do with all the elitism, trash talk, and boosting/deranking the competitive “community” inspires in the rest of the gaming world. It might have to do with how the competitive “community” is ruing innovation in this industry, forcing developers to release the same rehashed “competitive” shooter mechanics every year instead of creating new IPs and ideas. It might be how MLG is strangling the gaming industry with it’s SOOPER HARDCORE multiplayer experiences, while crafting original artistic stories and environments is no longer a concern. Oh, and it might have something to do with how the competitive “community” doesn’t care about games. They take an artistic experience, strip it of it’s variety, dumb down their games so it’s nothing more than who can shoot faster.
>
>
> Call it a hunch, but that might have something to do with it. MLG is killing the gaming industry so they can make as much money in as short of a time as possible. Competitive gaming should have died with arcades in the 80’s.

The Casuals are just as disrespectful in terms of elitism/trash talking etc.
The difference is that the competitive players can actually back it up, which leads to people feeling butthurt.

As far as “stripping it down:” if you had the slightest clue as to what makes balanced gameplay, you would realize how random default Reach is. The point of MLG settings is to remove that randomness and make it as skill-based as possible.

On default settings, you might get lucky once ever few games and get a kill or two… in non-random gametypes, you will lose 50-0 every time.

MLG would love to use default settings… but when you have $100,000 on the line, that’s just not practical. Might as well have a “coin flipping contest” between the top 8 teams.

The idea of making a game type suit any percentage bellow 10 is being called competitive… sounds foolish to me. By taking away competitors you are actually making a game less competitive in the sense there are only a handful of competitors.

When you think about it, no matter what the settings are, if a map is symmetrical… every one has the same chance as everyone else. What makes it competitive is the players choosing to treat it as an exhibition(just for fun game) or a competition.

It’s always been the players that make competition, not settings. It just so happens that competitive players prefer particular settings, but it doesn’t make those settings more competitive… says Mr repetitive.