Why did Infection take so long to release?

Ok, so with the new teaser, it is confirmed it isn’t flood (basically flood skins for the infected). Since we know classic infected is coming back, why did the “fan favorite” mode take so long to release. What assets needed to be made to release it? Couldn’t the programmers pull a basic bit of programming quickly, much like Halo 3 and beyond? I hate to complain that my need is being made, but why did it take so long? Hell, i haven’t even looked at customs, but I could bet customs aren’t the same, and that alpha zombie rules would be messed up, like Halo 4 where Alpha zombies would only exist for the first life for the first zombie.

Isn’t Halo 5 a brand new engine or something like that? I remembered someone saying that Halo 5 is different from all the other Halo’s program wise or something. Besides the point I remembered that 343 were focusing on Ball games first before focusing on Infection. What they were doing all before that I have no idea other then the HCS or making BTB.

They just didn’t care. The new engine shouldn’t have been enough to delay everything, these guys are handpicked by MS, they have experience. This is probably there idea of how to sustain a population, for whatever reason. I wonder what they were doing for the past 3 years.

> 2533274970658419;3:
> They just didn’t care. The new engine shouldn’t have been enough to delay everything, these guys are handpicked by MS, they have experience. This is probably there idea of how to sustain a population, for whatever reason. I wonder what they were doing for the past 3 years.

The evidence of the other updates and lacking content is all I need to confirm this. H2-3 was a new system and even it had the same game types.

Lol pissed when it’s not out, pissed when it’s announced. Nobody’s ever happy. It blows my mind.

Because the multiplayer design and production directors didn’t get fired until a few weeks ago.

> 2533274973685362;2:
> Isn’t Halo 5 a brand new engine or something like that? I remembered someone saying that Halo 5 is different from all the other Halo’s program wise or something. Besides the point I remembered that 343 were focusing on Ball games first before focusing on Infection. What they were doing all before that I have no idea other then the HCS or making BTB.

New engine never stopped Halo before. Hell, Reach was a new engine and has the most to do out of any Halo.

> 2535454947245991;5:
> Lol pissed when it’s not out, pissed when it’s announced. Nobody’s ever happy. It blows my mind

Your perception seems off. No one here so far seems “pissed”. It is a very real question with a dissapointing answer.

They knew the game would need content post-launch to keep people coming back so they withheld most of the fan-favorite game modes so they could dole them out slowly as “updates” an artificially inflate the content packs each month and ensure people keep checking back hoping for their favorite modes to return.

> 2728966917079826;9:
> They knew the game would need content post-launch to keep people coming back so they withheld most of the fan-favorite game modes so they could dole them out slowly as “updates” an artificially inflate the content packs each month and ensure people keep checking back hoping for their favorite modes to return.

Pretty much this. I love seeing people say this is not true when there is literally no other reason. Because if that’s not the case, than they are accepting that 343 is just that incompetent.

> 2535449665894532;8:
> > 2535454947245991;5:
> > Lol pissed when it’s not out, pissed when it’s announced. Nobody’s ever happy. It blows my mind
>
>
> Your perception seems off. No one here so far seems “pissed”. It is a very real question with a dissapointing answer.

While I think we could probably decrease the salt content, it still is a legitimate complaint. I defend 343 on a lot of things, but as a forger, releasing forge without infection made it like a 3/4 release. Forge is awesome right now, and by far the best we’ve ever had. But Infection is essential to 70-80% of the customs from previous games.

Now, I have enjoyed the modes once they release. They seem to be very well polished and work without many, if any, bugs. So I do believe that Infection will have had a lot of work done on the balancing to make sure it works, and it will work well, but it being released so late is a legitimate complaint. I need it for my Halo on Halo gametype. We need it for duck hunt, mike myers, etc. we’ve been having to do “ghetto” versions of our favorite games because we havent had it.

I am hyped that its here. But I am disappointed in how long it took.

> 2533274845846487;11:
> > 2535449665894532;8:
> > > 2535454947245991;5:
> > > Lol pissed when it’s not out, pissed when it’s announced. Nobody’s ever happy. It blows my mind
> >
> >
> > Your perception seems off. No one here so far seems “pissed”. It is a very real question with a dissapointing answer.
>
>
> While I think we could probably decrease the salt content, it still is a legitimate complaint. I defend 343 on a lot of things, but as a forger, releasing forge without infection made it like a 3/4 release. Forge is awesome right now, and by far the best we’ve ever had. But Infection is essential to 70-80% of the customs from previous games.
>
> Now, I have enjoyed the modes once they release. They seem to be very well polished and work without many, if any, bugs. So I do believe that Infection will have had a lot of work done on the balancing to make sure it works, and it will work well, but it being released so late is a legitimate complaint. I need it for my Halo on Halo gametype. We need it for duck hunt, mike myers, etc. we’ve been having to do “ghetto” versions of our favorite games because we havent had it.
>
> I am hyped that its here. But I am disappointed in how long it took.

Also this^

There’s lots of potential reasons why it took so long.

Programming is genuinely a difficult task, even if they could rip the game type from a previous game it might take even longer than making it from scratch, it just depends on the engine.

Not to mention the resources. We don’t know what kind of resources the post-launch content teams have. It’s entirely possible they can only work on one game type at a time- and ultimately, the Ball mode gave them a lot more potential game types to use than Infection will.

The other possibility is that they simply always wanted to release it with Memories of Reach.

It should have released when Forge did, but I can see why they didn’t. Infection is 90% of what people make in Forge, and so they left it out with the hopes that people would make Slayer and CTF maps and such before everyone jumps on the Infection train.

Great, sure, I get it. But damn, they sure took their sweet time rolling it out. It should have been only a month or two at most once Forge came out.

> 2535454947245991;5:
> Lol pissed when it’s not out, pissed when it’s announced. Nobody’s ever happy. It blows my mind.

Think of it this way. We were extremely mad before it was announced, but it was obvious it was going to be released eventually. Now we’re just mad. Did they expect to release it half a year after release and everyone would just suddenly stop and say thanks?

> 2533274973685362;2:
> Isn’t Halo 5 a brand new engine or something like that? I remembered someone saying that Halo 5 is different from all the other Halo’s program wise or something. Besides the point I remembered that 343 were focusing on Ball games first before focusing on Infection. What they were doing all before that I have no idea other then the HCS or making BTB.

The Halo 5 engine from what I heard is a heavily modified engine from Halo 4. I have no idea why they are using an engine from last gen…

Do you have any idea about how long it takes to make a green energy sword? Months…it takes whole months to make a green energy sword. Sheesh, nobody knows anything about game development.

Because 343’s priorities are messed up and they simply are not all that great of a developer. Not the worst, just staggeringly mediocre.

because the idiots can’t just mod slayer into infection.

> 2533274861813747;16:
> The Halo 5 engine from what I heard is a heavily modified engine from Halo 4. I have no idea why they are using an engine from last gen…

Traditionally it was iterations of engines, though from what I recall Reach was a larger overhaul than its predecessors. Halo 4 was a stripped and modified Reach engine. Halo 5 however was built from the ground up for the X1. There was minimal legacy stuff involved, but to all intents and purposes it was a brand new engine.

I don’t see this as not caring. I see it as building things up the way they wanted them, they were really building a framework for the future and through content updates are continually pushing out new features. It’s a more agile approach to game development.