Why did Cortana not blame the UNSC for the S2?

So, Cortana’s whole thing in Halo 5 is that she wants to conquer the UNSC and is trying to convince the Chief that shes in the right. So, she needs a pretext to do this. Something really morally reprehensible that proves that the UNSC and ONI are corrupt, evil and need to be overthrown. I mean if she didn’t have a pretext to justify her actions she’d just come across as crazy right?

Now, the most reprehensible thing the UNSC has ever done and the most explored one is the creation of the Spartan 2. Here you have the military, in secret, possibly abusing conscription laws or even creating their own ones, or even being in league with part of the civilian government, create a death squad designed to quietly murder political opponents of the regime asking for greater autonomy. This is a very bad thing people. Whats worse is that they create this death squad by abducting children and then subjecting them to experimentation and indoctrination against their will. Most of these child soldiers will die in training, or be crippled for life and those that remain can look forward to a life of perpetual slavery. Because conscription is by definition non consensual and the Spartan 2 programe is a secret the plan must presumably have been for them to stay in military service until they were useless to the regime.

So, if I am this godlike AI whos looking for any excuse to put the foot down, that would be a pretty good one to point at. I know that some people like to defend this as “greater good”, “real politik” and all that stuff. Frankly this is ammoral video game logic. If this happened in the real world. Whether its a kabal of military leaders by passing the civilian government or ministers by passing the authorities this would probably be universally condemned and bring down the government. The Spartans are created as a secret death squad of child soldiers to murder their own citizens who aren’t getting democratic representation. Since its called the United Earth Government and has hundreds of planets…doesn’t take a genius to say that this is an empire. Which BTW is another point Cortana could make about the UNSC if she’s looking for an excuse, “evil empire oppressing its own people” is a great excuse for military intervention.

Obviously Cortana making these claims to the Chief would not convince him or us and they shouldn’t. AI takes over galaxy is not something I need to be told is wrong. My problem is that it doesn’t make sense for Cortana not to have some pretext or justification for subjecting humanity to the Mantle of Responsibility. There needs to be something there and she is actively trying to convince the Chief so for her to not explain this makes no sense. I found her rationale about bringing peace extremely difficult to understand because humanity in Halo haven’t been portrayed as Imperialist or seeking war. The Didact accuses them of this, but that’s not the same thing. It just doesn’t work in relation to humanity. The problems with the UNSC are that: its an earth centric empire that oppresses and murders its own people with all big decisions made by whats basically a military junta. But Cortana doesn’t make that accusation and so I can only assume she has this flimsy non-sensical pretext that 343 gave her.

Cortana’s goals go beyond controlling humanity. She is seeking to control the entire galaxy and all sentient life in it. She may have a bias towards dealing with humans since she is of human origin, but conquering the UNSC is not her endgame.
Trying to convince Chief to join her by claiming the Spartan II program was bad wouldn’t work. Like all Spartan IIs, the Chief was subjected to massive indoctrination. To Chief and all Spartan IIs, their creation was necessary to save humanity. He was taught to believe that everything that he went through was for the sake of saving humanity (and based on the events of his life, he’d probably agree that without him, humanity would have lost to the Covenant).
Also, I don’t think Cortana ever truly believed she could convince the Chief to join her. I think she didn’t want him dead, but that she always kind of knew he wouldn’t accept her plan, which is why she had the Cryptum prepared for him when he reached her. So I don’t think that convincing him was ever anything more to her than a pipe dream; all she really wanted was to remove him from the picture, both to keep him from harm and to prevent him from interfering.

> 2533274817408735;2:
> Cortana’s goals go beyond controlling humanity. She is seeking to control the entire galaxy and all sentient life in it. She may have a bias towards dealing with humans since she is of human origin, but conquering the UNSC is not her endgame.
> Trying to convince Chief to join her by claiming the Spartan II program was bad wouldn’t work. Like all Spartan IIs, the Chief was subjected to massive indoctrination. To Chief and all Spartan IIs, their creation was necessary to save humanity. He was taught to believe that everything that he went through was for the sake of saving humanity (and based on the events of his life, he’d probably agree that without him, humanity would have lost to the Covenant).
> Also, I don’t think Cortana ever truly believed she could convince the Chief to join her. I think she didn’t want him dead, but that she always kind of knew he wouldn’t accept her plan, which is why she had the Cryptum prepared for him when he reached her. So I don’t think that convincing him was ever anything more to her than a pipe dream; all she really wanted was to remove him from the picture, both to keep him from harm and to prevent him from interfering.

Yes, but it makes sense for her to make every argument she can, pipe dream or no, plus its an obvious counter to Chief saying “like Halsey did to me?”. “But John, they did this to you, how can they be good men?”. She seems pretty sincere about trying to convince him, otherwise she would have just seized them as soon as they entered the cryptum.

We haven’t seen her interact with any Covenant and so all of her dialogue and actions were directed against humanity in Halo 5. She wants to rule humanity like all of the other races “Warden, you claim that I am to lead this galaxy…”, “Your created have come to lead you now”, “and those who oppose her rule attempt to take back their worlds.” So the plan clearly involves ruling humanity. Given all the talk of getting rid of old ways I am assuming she means getting rid of the UNSC and UEG; so you’re right in that sense.

Just because the Chief will say no and have that view doesn’t preclude Cortana not making that argument. The whole reason why there is this dialogue between the Chief and Cortana is that because Cortana isn’t a character and 343 have to provide some explanation for her characters actions. So really the dialogue is a form of exposition, its telling us why Cortana is like that. Its horribly executed and atrociously handled but that’s the intent. So not having Cortana make an argument that makes sense, we as the audience aren’t going to make sense of what the character is doing. Why does she thin the UNSC needs to be got rid of? Whats wrong with humanity that makes her think she needs to do this?