Why did 343i make the decision to revert artstyle?

Why did 343i make the executive decision to revert to the older artstyle (or a new artstyle inspired by the old artstyle)? Seems like a regressive choice on their part. Could it be that they only catered to a bias?

I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.

> 2533274803493024;2:
> I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.

Can’t have been such a landslide though.

> 2533274870445963;3:
> > 2533274803493024;2:
> > I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.
>
> Can’t have been such a landslide though.

I can, the art style of H4/5 especially the armors are just ugly and don’t even look remotely functional. I mean in H5 there is a helmet with five -Yoink!- on it… ugh… don’t know what they were thinking?

I think it was all based on feedback. Seems like they’re going above and beyond to appease us with this game.

Was Chief’s armor in H4/5 really that divisive though? In contrast to the uproar over almost every other artistic change 343 made in the past two games, Chief’s armor was pretty well-received.

> 2533274816788253;4:
> > 2533274870445963;3:
> > > 2533274803493024;2:
> > > I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.
> >
> > Can’t have been such a landslide though.
>
> I can, the art style of H4/5 especially the armors are just ugly and don’t even look remotely functional. I mean in H5 there is a helmet with five -Yoink!- on it… ugh… don’t know what they were thinking?

Do a select few armor sets warrant an entire reversal in design though? There were hundreds of armor sets in Halo 5, some were bound to be ugly.

Chief’s new armor just rubs me the wrong way, personally; Seems less realistic and I believe that’s why they made Gen II in the first place. Do you think they would do the same to Cortana?

> 2533274876631466;6:
> Was Chief’s armor in H4/5 really that divisive though? In contrast to the uproar over almost every other artistic change 343 made in the past two games, Chief’s armor was pretty well-received.

It really has. Just like the original Mark VI, many have fallen for the Gen II design.

I am going to quote tsassi (a Monitor on Forums) from another post. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/why-do-people-dislike-chief-s-new-armor-so-much/a3124224-8e28-48c4-96f1-89f43f891b86/posts

“I believe the main reason is that it represents 343i’s neglect of everything related classic Halo in an attempt to make the franchise bend to their own will. It’s just one of many unnecessary changes 343i made artistically for no other reason than to separate themselves from Bungie. It was a pointless redesign that made no sense canonically, and was given a weak post hoc justification, and there were many such redesigns in Halo 4 that were equally disliked.It’s not like whoever designed the armor didn’t know what they were doing. It’s not bad art, per se. However, it shows a clear departure from the traditional style, and displays elements for which 343i’s art direction has been crticized a lot—namely, their need to make things look visually complex. That comparison picture of the armor quite well captures the main difference between Bungie’s art and 343i’s art. Whereas Bungie uses lots of clean lines that are then accentuated by bare surfaces, 343i puts detail on detail, creating a noisy look where there is too much for anything particular to draw your attention.So, in summary, I don’t believe the new armor is disliked for its own sake as much as it is disliked due to greater issues with 343i’s art direction that extend far beyond individual objects.” - tsassi

Most people (including me) thought the change of armor was too random. Since most of us have been playing since the original game. I think it’s just brings back the nostalgia to a lot of players seeing this older art style. I think HaloFollower talks about this in one of his latest videos I believe (don’t remember, lol).

I am hoping the elites have a cleaner version of the classic H2/3 art style. I am not a big fan of the new elite style from the current games lol.

> 2533274870445963;7:
> > 2533274816788253;4:
> > > 2533274870445963;3:
> > > > 2533274803493024;2:
> > > > I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.
> > >
> > > Can’t have been such a landslide though.
> >
> > I can, the art style of H4/5 especially the armors are just ugly and don’t even look remotely functional. I mean in H5 there is a helmet with five -Yoink!- on it… ugh… don’t know what they were thinking?
>
> Do a select few armor sets warrant an entire reversal in design though? There were hundreds of armor sets in Halo 5, some were bound to be ugly.
>
> Chief’s new armor just rubs me the wrong way, personally; Seems less realistic and I believe that’s why they made Gen II in the first place. Do you think they

Nearly every armor set made since H4 were all pretty ugly, in fact I would say the majority of them. In H4 they made the grunts seem like some sort of deformed gummy bear and not the big bug like creature they once were… The Prometheans always seemed funny to me we had knights that were kinda like robot lady bugs on stilts and we have crawlers a robot like dog that shoots out it’s face… The art style of Halo wasn’t going well at all. Granted we don’t know to much about infinite’s art style just yet but from the glimpse it seems to be going the right way. Honestly I don’t even care if it doesn’t fit in lore wise I just want Halo to look good again. H2A has been the best looking Halo to date IMO.

> 2533274870445963;8:
> > 2533274876631466;6:
> > Was Chief’s armor in H4/5 really that divisive though? In contrast to the uproar over almost every other artistic change 343 made in the past two games, Chief’s armor was pretty well-received.
>
> It really has. Just like the original Mark VI, many have fallen for the Gen II design.

I certainly picture the Halo 4/5 armor when I imagine Chief. It’s the first image that pops up in my head.

> 2533274870445963;7:
> > 2533274816788253;4:
> > > 2533274870445963;3:
> > > > 2533274803493024;2:
> > > > I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.
> > >
> > > Can’t have been such a landslide though.
> >
> > I can, the art style of H4/5 especially the armors are just ugly and don’t even look remotely functional. I mean in H5 there is a helmet with five -Yoink!- on it… ugh… don’t know what they were thinking?
>
> Do a select few armor sets warrant an entire reversal in design though? There were hundreds of armor sets in Halo 5, some were bound to be ugly.
>
> Chief’s new armor just rubs me the wrong way, personally; Seems less realistic and I believe that’s why they made Gen II in the first place. Do you think they would do the same to Cortana?

I hope they don’t reverse Cortana’s new look because it was the only redeeming aspect of her return. I dislike the new conflict she brought, but her new appearance beautifully symbolized an otherwise cheap evolution of her character.

There are a LOT of fans that quit after halo 3. Going back to an art style that they are familiar with is just a strategy of bringing back old halo players.

I love the gen 2 Armor Master Chief has. Sure, there are a good number of out right ugly Armors in Halo 5 But guess what if you have over 300 different armors they aren’t all going to be gems. I never really though Chiefs Mark 6 was all that great to begin with. It looked fine and you could distinguish it fairly easily. But I liked the Mark 5 way more and the Gen 2 armor seem like a nice combo of both 5 and 6. I really hope this new armor isn’t just Mark 6 again but a combination of Mark 6 and the Gen 2 armor. I’m fine with him getting new armor, hes had this Armor for 2 games now just like Mark 6, just don’t revert back to a previous armor.

> 2533274909139271;12:
> There are a LOT of fans that quit after halo 3. Going back to an art style that they are familiar with is just a strategy of bringing back old halo players.

Not to mince words or anything but are you saying that it’s to cater to fans that haven’t been around since 3? ‘Fans’ who religiously avoided Reach, 4, and 5? It really is starting to seem like a straight up catering.

> 2533274870445963;3:
> > 2533274803493024;2:
> > I imagine they did it based on negative feedback to the H4 and H5 artstyles.
>
> Can’t have been such a landslide though.

I would disagree. The original games seemed to have such a better fan base and support. By any means I’m not an expert, but a ton of the original Halo players don’t play anymore because of the direction the game went with both mechanics and artwork. I grew up playing since CE and went from tons of online friends that play Halo, to a few select here and there. I think we will see a huge spike and hype for this game if it is going to look/feel like the original series. What Halo was made to be.

[deleted]

I didn’t have a problem with 343’s art style in H4 and 5. But I imagine that they made a new art style, inspired by the old one because of all the negative feedback.

I like the Gen II Mk VI armour that Chief has in Halo 4 and 5 but it can’t beat Gen I Mk VI, for me. When I think of Chief, that’s the armour I see. Despite the explanation and passage of time since, the sudden change is still kinda jarring to me…Having Chief in his Gen I armour in Halo 4 would have been a better contrast with the Spartan IVs, which would have helped with the “Chief is old and obsolete” message Del Rio kept trying to give.

> 2533274870445963;14:
> > 2533274909139271;12:
> > There are a LOT of fans that quit after halo 3. Going back to an art style that they are familiar with is just a strategy of bringing back old halo players.
>
> Not to mince words or anything but are you saying that it’s to cater to fans that haven’t been around since 3? ‘Fans’ who religiously avoided Reach, 4, and 5? It really is starting to seem like a straight up catering.

All companies want people to buy their product. For 343i if there is more pressure and fans wanting the classic art style, then they’ll chase that money hole. Catering or not it’s marketing. When the game launches we can see how much worth is in their strategy.

It’s simple: giving the people what they want.