Why did 343 make the Spartans less likable?

The Spartan-II’s were so much more respectful. Only talked when necessary. They were taller, and bulkier. They carried out their orders.

But these new Spartans, the Spartan-IV’s, are almost the opposite. They’re scrawny compared to the older Spartans. Their faces don’t look like they should belong to a Spartan’s. They talk back and don’t even act how Spartans should act.

Spartans used to be a bit mysterious. Machines that no foe could conquer.

If you truly want to know why Spartan IV’s are weaker, I recommend taking a look into the Halo novels. They go over why this is done.

Specifically Halo: Ghosts of Onyx as it explains how different creating Spartan III’s were compared to creating the Spartan II’s.

> The Spartan-II’s were so much respectful. Only talked when necessary. They were taller, and bulkier. They carried out their orders.
>
> But these new Spartans, the Spartan-IV’s, are almost the opposite. They’re scrawny compared to the older Spartans. Their faces don’t look like they should belong to a Spartan’s.
>
> Spartans used to be a bit mysterious. Machines that no foe could conquer.

Well remember Spartan IV aren’t modified from a young age. These new Spartans are veterans of the Covenant war. Their adults before they were conscripted into the Spartan IV program. They don’t have as much genetic modification which is one of the reasons why they are smaller and not as big.

As for their personalities they match that of Marines/Army/Navy we have today. I would be rather upset if becoming a spartan meant losing my personality.

If you look at Halo 4 as a whole it’s trying to steer clear of Spartans being machines. Even Chief disobeys an order in the campaign, and starts becoming a person and not a machine any more. I for one praise 343i for making a more human character out of John.

Not to mention, there was the issue of ethics involved with the creation of the Spartan-IIs. 75 children kidnapped, only 33 becoming true spartans, and of those 33 who became spartans, only 9 are either in action or alive.

I’m pretty sure if I were in the shoes of Admiral Parangosky, that would haunt my conscience as well.

Sure, if they didn’t exist human would have lost… it was still wrong though. The one who should be in a cell should be her.

> > The Spartan-II’s were so much respectful. Only talked when necessary. They were taller, and bulkier. They carried out their orders.
> >
> > But these new Spartans, the Spartan-IV’s, are almost the opposite. They’re scrawny compared to the older Spartans. Their faces don’t look like they should belong to a Spartan’s.
> >
> > Spartans used to be a bit mysterious. Machines that no foe could conquer.
>
> Well remember Spartan IV aren’t modified from a young age. These new Spartans are veterans of the Covenant war. Their adults before they were conscripted into the Spartan IV program. They don’t have as much genetic modification which is one of the reasons why they are smaller and not as big.
>
> As for their personalities they match that of Marines/Army/Navy we have today. I would be rather upset if becoming a spartan meant losing my personality.
>
> If you look at Halo 4 as a whole it’s trying to steer clear of Spartans being machines. Even Chief disobeys an order in the campaign, and starts becoming a person and not a machine any more. I for one praise 343i for making a more human character out of John.

yeah, the master chief is pretty bad in 4, awesome bad. the spartan 4’s are annoying, whiny, pathetic characters with big ego’s and even worse mouths. they’re actually very annoying soldiers and the specific characters are even worse. i bet by the end of spartan ops we see a few of the spartan 4’s cry, and i hope chief walks by and calls em a -Yoink-.

I do feel that this game distanced itself a bit from the military side of things. I’m not sure I can quite explain what I mean, I just get that sort of impression.

> Not to mention, there was the issue of ethics involved with the creation of the Spartan-IIs. 75 children kidnapped, only 33 becoming true spartans, and of those 33 who became spartans, only 9 are either in action or alive.
>
> I’m pretty sure if I were in the shoes of Admiral Parangosky, that would haunt my conscience as well.
>
> Sure, if they didn’t exist human would have lost… it was still wrong though. The one who should be in a cell should be her.

Actually, they kidnapped 150 children

> > Not to mention, there was the issue of ethics involved with the creation of the Spartan-IIs. 75 children kidnapped, only 33 becoming true spartans, and of those 33 who became spartans, only 9 are either in action or alive.
> >
> > I’m pretty sure if I were in the shoes of Admiral Parangosky, that would haunt my conscience as well.
> >
> > Sure, if they didn’t exist human would have lost… it was still wrong though. The one who should be in a cell should be her.
>
> Actually, they kidnapped 150 children

no, 150 where suitable but only 75 were kidnapped

> > > Not to mention, there was the issue of ethics involved with the creation of the Spartan-IIs. 75 children kidnapped, only 33 becoming true spartans, and of those 33 who became spartans, only 9 are either in action or alive.
> > >
> > > I’m pretty sure if I were in the shoes of Admiral Parangosky, that would haunt my conscience as well.
> > >
> > > Sure, if they didn’t exist human would have lost… it was still wrong though. The one who should be in a cell should be her.
> >
> > Actually, they kidnapped 150 children
>
> no, 150 where suitable but only 75 were kidnapped

N/m. You were right. Just opened up Reach and had to check. He is 117 out of 150 suitable…but only 75 were kidnapped. My bad.

> yeah, the master chief is pretty bad in 4, awesome bad. the spartan 4’s are annoying, whiny, pathetic characters with big ego’s and even worse mouths. they’re actually very annoying soldiers and the specific characters are even worse. i bet by the end of spartan ops we see a few of the spartan 4’s cry, and i hope chief walks by and calls em a Yoink!.

Idk Thorn seems pretty cool and like his ego is in check. He’s just a bit emotional.

> If you look at Halo 4 as a whole it’s trying to steer clear of Spartans being machines. Even Chief disobeys an order in the campaign, and starts becoming a person and not a machine any more. I for one praise 343i for making a more human character out of John.

Master Chief has disobeyed countless orders before Halo 4.
Hell, he disobeyed orders in the original Halo.

Spartan II’s and III’s are the only true spartans IV’s are just marines with shields. They are supposed to be the sword of humanity and you see them acting like complete idiots (majestic). It’s amazing why they’re even considered spartans when spartans never die.

> > If you look at Halo 4 as a whole it’s trying to steer clear of Spartans being machines. Even Chief disobeys an order in the campaign, and starts becoming a person and not a machine any more. I for one praise 343i for making a more human character out of John.
>
> Master Chief has disobeyed countless orders before Halo 4.
> Hell, he disobeyed orders in the original Halo.

“Commander, are you a puppet, or a Spartan?”

I hate Halsey, but that was a good line.

Fireteam Crimson are proving themselves to have what it takes to be a Spartan, as well as Thorne.

Majestic does tend to mostly be comprised of fools such as Marco, but I think the Spartan-IVs are learning what it means to be heir to that legacy. Heck, even Palmer for all her wisecracks looks up to the IIs, especially the Chief; when he walked past her there was a look of genuine awe on her face.

As opposed to what?

I don’t really remember other Spartans being depicted in a non-book setting too much. Noble Six is all that comes to mind, but they seem as “likeable” as any other Spartans shown.

Are you crazy this spartans IV looks like freaking evangelion’s.

It would make sense that the MJOLNIR armor design would be improved and refined; not exactly battle-efficient if you literally need hours to attach the armor to the Spartan when you’re being boarded right that second.

Spartan IV’s just sit around the ship all day playing video games with their holographic simulators.

> <mark>Spartan II’s and III’s are the only true spartans IV’s are just marines with shields. They are supposed to be the sword of humanity and you see them acting like complete idiots (majestic).</mark> It’s amazing why they’re even considered spartans when spartans never die.

This a Thousand times. Even marines have more common sense. I can’t believe how idiotic the Spartans IVs are. The Sparten used to be the symbol of power, hope, intellect and much more until the Spartan IVs came along.

It’s funny that even the Spartan III at a age of 15~ proofed they where/are more mature back on Onyx than the current Spartan IVs do on infinity.

> The Spartan-II’s were so much more respectful. Only talked when necessary. They were taller, and bulkier. They carried out their orders.
>
> But these new Spartans, the Spartan-IV’s, are almost the opposite. They’re scrawny compared to the older Spartans. Their faces don’t look like they should belong to a Spartan’s. They talk back and don’t even act how Spartans should act.
>
> Spartans used to be a bit mysterious. Machines that no foe could conquer.

Remember that this new trilogy was supposed to get into the humanity of SPARTANS. We are going to find out what happens when you create Super Soldiers.

Catherine Halsey plays a prominent role in this series because she can easily point out the difference between her SPARTAN II’s and the current SPARTAN IV’s (see SPARTAN Ops Episode 5). Current SPARTANS are essentially living high off the legacy of the SPARTAN II’s. They are expecting respect they have not earned. No SPARTAN IV has single-handedly saved humanity on several occasions the way Master Chief, or any other SPARTAN II has or would have. Also, as Halsey points out, there was a reason she started with children, which was the same reasons the original Spartans (You know, the warriors from Sparta) started as children.

I suspect as the story plays out these new SPARTANS will grow up.