Why Did 343 Build From Reach Instead of 3?

Hey guys.

With regards to Multiplayer, when asked about the Loadout system, Frankie replied with something along the lines of, “Halo 3 introduced Equipment, Halo: Reach introduced game Loadouts, and Halo 4’s customizable Loadouts is the next logical step in that progression.”

So I ask the question: Why was it that 343 Industries chose to build off of Reach at all?

This was a mistake for many reasons.

REACH WAS A PREQUEL. More of a side game, whose gameplay was not meant to be part of the “main line” of games. Armor Abilities made sense in Halo: Reach; Spartan-IIIs were not jack-of-all-trades like Spartan-IIs tend to be. Also, Noble Team in the Campaign was a squad of Spartans, where each one had a specialty.

The fact that Reach was a prequel gave Bungie a chance to TRY Halo gameplay with Loadouts added, but I’d bet that if they still had control of the franchise, they wouldn’t continue that type of gameplay, even without Reach being considered a failure for Halo standards.

Epic Games is doing a similar thing now with their prequel to the Gears of War trilogy, Gears of War: Judgement. It is a prequel with much more class-based gameplay. I highly doubt, however, that they will continue this type of gameplay in the future; There tend not to be sequels to prequels, which is why prequels are an opportunity to experiment with gameplay.

REACH FAILED. I know it was reasonably successful commercially, but not as successful as Halo 3. And it failed in the eyes of most Halo fans. The addition of Equipment in Halo 3 was a minor change to gameplay (in the broad scope of things), they built competitive maps, balanced the sandbox, and introduced 4 game-changers to the gaming industry: Forge, Custom Games, Theater, and Bungie.net (in-depth stat-tracking and file sharing).

There have not been any game-changers in Halo since Halo 3. It’s possible that Halo 5 on the next XBOX will have more freedom for game-changers like Forge and Custom Games, but as of now Halo is in a recession.

343’s Campaign was outstanding, but their decisions in just about EVERY aspect of Halo 4’s Multiplayer just befuddles me.

Guys?

ya, whats up?

343 didn’t build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…

h4 builds off of call of duty, and not halo, and 343i main design philosophy seems to be.

add cod element/remove 3 halo elements.

EDIT:sigh, it time i get anew keyboard, some of this keys don’t activate with light taps like they used to.

> 343 did build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…
>
>
> h4 builds off of call of duty, and not halo, and 343i main design philosophy seems to be.
>
>
> add cod element/remove 3 halo elements.

I’m saying that they did, and that they shouldn’t have.

> 343 did build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…
>
>
> h4 builds off of call of duty, and not halo, and 343i main design philosophy seems to be.
>
>

Quit comparing Halo 4 to Call of Duty. Yes, there are CoD elements fused into the game. Do these elements work? Yes. Does the game play like a Call of Duty game? No.

Reach was in fact a progression of Halo’s gameplay prequel or not. It made since to keep it in mind when crafting the next Halo. If you don’t like that, you can customize your own games with no loadouts, abilities, or ordinance drops. Invite everybody who feels the same as you. Everybody wins.

It blows me away that in a game with so much custom options that people complain because essentially they everybody else to play their vision of Halo. Make some private lobbies and move on.

The game would have details finished if they didn’t started to re-make the whole covenant, and add stuff that wasn’t needed to be changed or added.

Because of that we have a good game but with unfinished details in textures and stuff that was on custom games.

I think thats just how game development works, they just take code from their last game and improve it.

Black Ops 2 is more similar to MW3, than BLOPS1 (even though they are different developers)

BF3 is more similar to Bad Company 2, not BF2.

AssCreed 3 is more similar to ACRevelations than AC2.

shrugs List goes on…

Sorry if I didn’t make this clear: I am not talking about coding and graphics, I’m talking about gameplay mechanics.

I wish they would have kept the damn menu screen similar to the past Halo’s. Why did they make it so -Yoink!- ugly.

> > 343 did build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…
> >
> >
> > h4 builds off of call of duty, and not halo, and 343i main design philosophy seems to be.
> >
> >
> > add cod element/remove 3 halo elements.
>
> Quit comparing Halo 4 to Call of Duty. Yes, there are CoD elements fused into the game. Do these elements work? Yes. Does the game play like a Call of Duty game? No.

rofl.

average cod game.

run around, score a few kills, use killstreak to get more additional kills, die and redo this all over again.

h4 has the same general idea, where that used to be major point of difference, h4 has destroy the 3 main things about halo.

vehicles/map control/power weapon control.

do you remember when mlg coaches had stopwatches to monitor the respawn times of power weapons? what about the warthog was a nimble and fast kill machine that required either good frag grenade toss to flip, or precision shooting to kill occupants.

what we have now is no longer halo, and by that i mean ANY halo, h4 is far closer to call of duty, than it is to ANY halo game, vehicle combat has been destroyed by the fact everyone can spawn with a plasma pistol, as well as the fact that the dmr is capable of damaging the 5 tonne Armour TANK if you merely get 8 guys to start shooting at it, the binary rifle encourages quick scoping because of the fact ITS A EXACT MECHANICAL COPY OF COD SNIPER RIFLES,(aka inaccurate when unscoped), where past halos were all about the weapon balance on maps because everyone started off on equal footing and would need to find better (read that, better, not power) weapons, halo 4 allows you to spawn with the best non power weapon by default.

halo of the past encouraged objective play, whereas h4 prefers slayer based gameplay.

the halo 4 kill times have DRAMATICALLY decreased from past games leading to a faster paced game more akin to a twitch shooter aka cod, than a tactical shooter aka halo1-reach,

all in all, halo 4 is a fun game, however is is NOT a halo game halo fans were expected or wanted multiplayer wise, it a obvious grab at cod fans, while alienating the fan base that made it what it is, which is a -Yoink- move regardless of who you are.the game sold well not because of it excellent mm, but rather, because of the fact it had halo in the title, many players were honestly expecting 343 to -Yoink- this up, because halo is bungies creation, and bungie =/= 343, but some of us had hopes that the ex bungies guys at 343 would make this the game of the year, sadly those hopes were dashed because of the sheer -Yoink- backwards direction the 343i took with mm.

S EQUALS BUILD UPON THE PAST, h4 throws away the past, it’s a fundamental problem.

> 343 didn’t build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> EDIT:sigh, it time i get anew keyboard, some of this keys don’t activate with light taps like they used to.

I don’t recall COD having it to where you could jump 4 feet into the hair. Halo 3’s elements are there, but you people are so blinded with hate you don’t see it.

> > 343 didn’t build from reach bro…unless your talking about gfx engine…
> >
> >
> > h4 builds off of call of duty, and not halo, and 343i main design philosophy seems to be.
> >
> >
> > add cod element/remove 3 halo elements.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > EDIT:sigh, it time i get anew keyboard, some of this keys don’t activate with light taps like they used to.
>
> I don’t recall COD having it to where you could jump 4 feet into the hair. Halo 3’s elements are there, but you people are so blinded with hate you don’t see it.

so wait, instead of presenting any type of real argument…you bring up jump height???

like really,

Jump height. AHAHAHAH.

About a 1 & a 1/2 years ago, 343 said they would be doing an evolution of equipment and armour abilities, do something different they said. Also, when the E3 debut trailer came out and chief used that jet pack to fly through the ship, everybody was sayin “So by this clip we can say that armour abilities are back.” And Frank o’connor said stuff like “ACTUALLY, that isn’t a jet pack, it was a thruster system built into all MJOLNIR armour for ZERO GRAVITY operations.” On NEOgaff forums.

Whenever they were hints at armour abilities, 343i always dismissed the idea, but here we are…

I was hopin for Halo 4, not Reach Part 2.

Im going to say that Reach was IN FACT built in part with the baby version of 343 which is why it turned out the way it did. MS basically made Bungie open the doors to this new type of Halo game so it could be accepted by fans for the next series of games.

Because a lot of people on here loved reach. Heck go in any other post that is hating on halo and people will say they loved reach and that reach is the real halo not halo 4. Op I just want to say it would be interesting to see halo 5 be made with no fan feed back or catering, an actual new game. Halo 4 to me fills pulled back by catering and playing it safe. Sure we have minor editions but to be honest what would halo 4 of looked like if 343i did not have to worry about catering to fans? Would it of been better? As for the cod comparisons that started in reach and failed. Plus the JIP is fix to reachs and halo 3 biggest problem. (people get mad if you ban them)

You forgot the fifth game changer: campaign scoring

And if Halo 3 had more development time, it’d have surely also added Firefight.

Then again, Halo 3 was continuation of Halo 2. Halo 2 was going to be the one to add in Theater and some other things (i.e. battle of Earth in the campaign).

The only thing from Reach that I despise is how Chief lacks traction, easily sliding off of uneven geometry, and his low jump height, not to mention crouch jump and grenade jump.