Why di I feel bad me liking halo 5's story?

I see alot of reviews saying that the story sucks and I feel out of place. I’ve been following the game ever since it’s announcement 2 years ago. I’ve seen all the trailers, I heard hunt the truth, and I watched halo canon’s halo 5 primer to be up to date with the game. I wanted this to be the halo game to kick halo 3’s butt, sadly it didn’t in the eyes of the community. I didn’t mind the no main character progression since in my opinio master chief in CE didn’t have one (not until the books). I didn’t mind chief having 3 missions. I liked the idea of cortana being the main villain. I liked the direction 343 is taking. I don’t mind the marketing as I can see what 343 was doing. So, why do I feel wierd me liking halo 5’s story? I know that I’m in the minority of it but why is it a minority.

Maybe you’re not a sheep for following your own opinion on the game. I liked the story too, mostly because I dreaded H4s story. Still the original trilogy has my heart.

I’m not so sure you’re definitely in the minority. It could be that the silent majority doesn’t have a big problem with it and they’re just not actively complaining much.

That having been said, I didn’t hate the story, but I didn’t love it, either. I’m still kinda lukewarm on it.

I liked it, not saying it was perfection, but it was really cool. Me and a friend were switching off controllers when the main character changed. I was chief, he was locke

I think alot of it has to do with the very odd marketing that there was for the game that had nothing to do with the story

It was solid and enjoyable even if it wasn’t the best. Reach’s and 3’s was the best.

You shouldn’t feel bad for liking. I know plenty of people who hated Reach, but I liked it. I just think the introduction to Blue Team in Halo 5 was lackluster with how little time we got with them, I didn’t like Cortana becoming evil seemingly out of nowhere and the disconnect with Hunt the Truth.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> Cortana becoming evil seemingly out of nowhere

Maybe you should just learn subtlety!

:^)

I still believe that all those adds have something to do with Halo 6. This whole game was setup for Halo 6. I just hope to god that Halo 6 will blow everybody away.

As someone who was severely disappointed with the story, I think the main issues stemmed from fundamental narrative flaws. In other words, the basics, the "writing 101"s, were ignored, and thus set the stage for a whole mess of further problems. This article here does a great job summing up the expectations of meaningful, dramatic, effective storytelling, and arguing how Halo 5 failed at all of them. In my opinion, the story failed because of the reasons in the article.

But, even if you are a minority (and I’m not sure you really are!), by no means should you be afraid to voice your opinion on these forums and say that you enjoyed the game. A lot of people liked it, so don’t feel “weird.” You enjoyed it, and that’s great. :slight_smile:

> 2533274847563380;4:
> I liked it, not saying it was perfection, but it was really cool. Me and a friend were switching off controllers when the main character changed. I was chief, he was locke

So you only got to play 3 missions? :slight_smile:

> 2533274847916490;2:
> Maybe you’re not a sheep for following your own opinion on the game. I liked the story too, mostly because I dreaded H4s story. Still the original trilogy has my heart.

See that’s funny, because I liked Halo 4’s story (As well as its continuation in Spartan Ops Season 1) and I really enjoyed the Hunt the Truth series, but I felt very jarred coming into Halo 5. I’ve gotten over it, and enjoy the story well enough now, but my initial thoughts of Halo 5’s story was that it didn’t live up to the build up of the previous game or even the ads.

> 2533274823519895;8:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > Cortana becoming evil seemingly out of nowhere
>
>
> Maybe you should just learn subtlety!
>
>
> :^)

Oh don’t remind me of that nonsense, I’m still disappointed he went with that kind of deflection of criticism.

i liked the story to OP.
You didnt have to be a lore expert to understand it. I had two buds of mine who haven’t played halo since CE play through it and they understood it perfectly.
I’d liken the reviews complaining about the story as being an adult joke told to a 10 yr old and then the child calling it stupid because they couldn’t understand it.
Cortanna becoming bad had proper build up and foreshadowing. It didnt come from left field.

I’ve enjoyed all of 343’s story work thus far, especially the cutscene stuff in Spartan Ops. I do agree though that Halo 6 should have a new writer, and it should be the LEGEND Joe Staten.

> 2533274870591903;14:
> i liked the story to OP.
> You didnt have to be a lore expert to understand it. I had two buds of mine who haven’t played halo since CE play through it and they understood it perfectly.
> I’d liken the reviews complaining about the story as being an adult joke told to a 10 yr old and then the child calling it stupid because they couldn’t understand it.
>
> Cortanna becoming had proper build up and foreshadowing. It didnt come from left field.

I liked that you didn’t have to know it, but it substantially increase my enjoyment and immersion.

The problem is I’ve been called a 343 fanboy and that I’m blinded on channels like Angry Joe and Halofollower. I tried to get them to listen but nothing works. Thanks anyway to the people who say not to be afraid and that I’m not in the minority, stuff like that gives me hope that the halo community hasn’t gone to crap.

> 2533274974695300;1:
> I see alot of reviews saying that the story sucks and I feel out of place. I’ve been following the game ever since it’s announcement 2 years ago. I’ve seen all the trailers, I heard hunt the truth, and I watched halo canon’s halo 5 primer to be up to date with the game. I wanted this to be the halo game to kick halo 3’s butt, sadly it didn’t in the eyes of the community. I didn’t mind the no main character progression since in my opinio master chief in CE didn’t have one (not until the books). I didn’t mind chief having 3 missions. I liked the idea of cortana being the main villain. I liked the direction 343 is taking. I don’t mind the marketing as I can see what 343 was doing. So, why do I feel wierd me liking halo 5’s story? I know that I’m in the minority of it but why is it a minority.

You shouldn’t feel weird. I love the campaign. It was flawlessly executed and I enjoyed playing as Locke more than I did the Chief. The story was well developed and nuanced and I also love the direction 343 is going in. You really are not in as big a minority as you think you are. Sadly around here the negativity is simply shouted loudly on repeat ad nauseam. Halo 5 is a fantastic game. Trust me life will go much easier for you if you don’t worry about what other people think about you. Some will like you, some won’t. Sometimes you will agree, sometimes you won’t. Bottom line stay true to yourself and never, under any circumstance, let yourself be bullied into not speaking your mind.

> 2533274870591903;14:
> i liked the story to OP.
> You didnt have to be a lore expert to understand it. I had two buds of mine who haven’t played halo since CE play through it and they understood it perfectly.
> I’d liken the reviews complaining about the story as being an adult joke told to a 10 yr old and then the child calling it stupid because they couldn’t understand it.
> Cortanna becoming bad had proper build up and foreshadowing. It didnt come from left field.

I’d say the complaints about the story not making sense are more like people criticizing a story for not making sense. Frank O’Connor already called people who didn’t understand Cortana’s role to evil as children, let’s not expand that and be adults here. Most people could probably understand what is happening at the surface level. Once you start digging, and this is more of a lore expert thing, then things begin to fall apart. The Absolute Record plotline doesn’t make it at all in Halo 5 despite it’s Halo 4 build-up and it merely fizzled out to nothing in Escalation. We never get a solid reason why the Prometheans begin reject Jul, I assume it was the Warden becoming active, but that is just conjecture because it just happens. The Warden is an interesting concept with one mind among millions of bodies and thus becomes an unstoppable force, but he mostly seems to be a cheerleader for Cortana more than anything and his connection to the Domain in vague. Even digging back in the Forerunner Trilogy yields no concrete hints, so he kinda just shows up, acts menacing and hopes his senpai Cortana notices him. I’d also have to disagree about Cortana’s turn to evil being built up. Her brushes with rampancy have mostly been identity and mortality crises. Yet each time she would pull ahead, going so far as to rebuke the Gravemind to its face and reject his offer of “freedom”. A rather far cry from what we see in Halo 5 of her being a dictator who is ready to kill anybody who opposes her because she thinks she and her kind are the inheritors of the Mantle (AI revolution never being a care of hers prior and no mention as to how Promethean Knight AIs from forcible Composed humans fit in her plans…though she has no problem using them as weapons so evidently she doesn’t care much).

Which is just sad given she is just making the same mistakes as the Forerunners, so she’s just killing for no real reason despite thinking its for the “greater good.”

> 2535430035566453;18:
> > 2533274974695300;1:
> > I see alot of reviews saying that the story sucks and I feel out of place. I’ve been following the game ever since it’s announcement 2 years ago. I’ve seen all the trailers, I heard hunt the truth, and I watched halo canon’s halo 5 primer to be up to date with the game. I wanted this to be the halo game to kick halo 3’s butt, sadly it didn’t in the eyes of the community. I didn’t mind the no main character progression since in my opinio master chief in CE didn’t have one (not until the books). I didn’t mind chief having 3 missions. I liked the idea of cortana being the main villain. I liked the direction 343 is taking. I don’t mind the marketing as I can see what 343 was doing. So, why do I feel wierd me liking halo 5’s story? I know that I’m in the minority of it but why is it a minority.
>
>
> You shouldn’t feel weird. I love the campaign. It was flawlessly executed and I enjoyed playing as Locke more than I did the Chief. The story was well developed and nuanced and I also love the direction 343 is going in. You really are not in as big a minority as you think you are. Sadly around here the negativity is simply shouted loudly on repeat ad nauseam. Halo 5 is a fantastic game. Trust me life will go much easier for you if you don’t worry about what other people think about you. Some will like you, some won’t. Sometimes you will agree, sometimes you won’t. Bottom line stay true to yourself and never, under any circumstance, let yourself be bullied into not speaking your mind.

Thanks man