Why deranking is a VERY bad thing

I’m almost 100% sure I saw in a community update that they are added/have added deranking. This is a terrible design decision and ill explain why (go to bottom for short summary if you dont wanna read the wall). Have you guys ever gotten to a high rank and didn’t play that mode so that you didn’t lose a game and lose it. Well now you have to worry about this in tiers. You FINALLY make it to diamond and you never play the mode again so it stays that way. Or your pushing for onyx and get to diamond and go on a small losing streak and your back down to platinum. It is a good checkpoint system Incase you cant play with a team or whatever but still want to play the game. I usually get ranked straight onyx for team arena which means that I’m never gonna play that mode again unless I have a full team which I can tell you isn’t often. I’m gonna lose more games than I win because in that tier a lot of full teams are present and no matter how good I or anyone on my team is we wont beat a full team.
Summary:
it will prevent people from playing the game/game modes and in countries like Australia it will be very hard to find a game.

I might be done with the game because of this.

I hear what your saying OP, and agree to a degree. Personally I liked the way Halo 3 did it. Your highest rank in any playlist is show in your service record. To me this is a happy medium. If I use halo 5 for example, say I got to Diamond 6 but lost a pile and went down to Platinum 6. In my service record it’ll show my highest rank achieved is Diamond 6. Yes it sucks I went down, but at least I know and others do that I was there at one point.

If people have a problem with showing ranks before matches, then don’t let the player see that till after the match, in-between them or when they aren’t in a game at all.

I just found out today that this had became a thing. It stinks for the reason you’ve described OP, for sure.

However, I also imagine that some people are going to start de-ranking now on purpose to get into lower tiers so they can stomp on weaker players. It used to happen all the time during Halo 3. I wonder how it will affect matchmaking now.

the only positive I see out of this is that people that are ranked too high can rank down now but that in itself is a bad thing because higher players can abuse this. Perhaps it should give you an option to rank down but you can only do it once. That would fix every need for this need crap.

> 2535415305234137;1:
> I’m almost 100% sure I saw in a community update that they are added/have added deranking. This is a terrible design decision and ill explain why (go to bottom for short summary if you dont wanna read the wall). Have you guys ever gotten to a high rank and didn’t play that mode so that you didn’t lose a game and lose it. Well now you have to worry about this in tiers. You FINALLY make it to diamond and you never play the mode again so it stays that way. Or your pushing for onyx and get to diamond and go on a small losing streak and your back down to platinum. It is a good checkpoint system Incase you cant play with a team or whatever but still want to play the game. I usually get ranked straight onyx for team arena which means that I’m never gonna play that mode again unless I have a full team which I can tell you isn’t often. I’m gonna lose more games than I win because in that tier a lot of full teams are present and no matter how good I or anyone on my team is we wont beat a full team.
> Summary:
> it will prevent people from playing the game/game modes and in countries like Australia it will be very hard to find a game.

Then that only means that your skill level is roughly at the edge of one and the beginning of another rank, instead of just getting stuck at low Onyx and losing more games to begin with.

I managed to reach platinum as a solo player last season and after I did my placements I was in silver but now matches are some times far too easy. I managed to get a few perfect games and thought I’m definatly going to get reported as a smurf of some kind.

Not ganna lie op… I thought your title was a misspelling of drinking… lol totally was suprized to see I read it wrong! Lol :sweat_smile:

A number of players already do placements then cease play in the playlist. So it’s hardly a new thing. Fear of “losing” your rank isn’t a great reason to stop. More casual players likely do not care enough about rank to do so. More hardcore players aren’t going to do so either, as they recognize they do not deserve their rank if they cannot maintain the level of play necessary to keep it. The only big difference is the new system requires consistent performance. I fail to see the problem. I can’t help but think people are against it because they feel entitled to a rank but cannot play consistently enough to keep it.

> 2533274961306591;4:
> I just found out today that this had became a thing. It stinks for the reason you’ve described OP, for sure.
>
> However, I also imagine that some people are going to start de-ranking now on purpose to get into lower tiers so they can stomp on weaker players. It used to happen all the time during Halo 3. I wonder how it will affect matchmaking now.

I’ve seen this statement a number of times and it’s a real head scratcher. The ability to de-rank doesn’t allow anymore abuse in this fashion compared to jumping to a new gamertag.

My 2 cents. I’m glad de-ranking is now a thing.

No more carries to divisions higher than you should be in. I’m sure you’ve all run into Onyx/Diamond players that have no business being ranked that high…

What if deranking from really high tiers (I’m guessing would be Onyx and up, since they are CSR based) also occurred from not playing? Overwatch has that sort of system for high tiers, where if you don’t participate for awhile you get knocked out of the tier.

This sucks so hard. It makes all of the good players feel a lot worse + now I stopped caring about my ranking.

> 2533274833081329;6:
> > 2535415305234137;1:
> > . I’m almost 100% sure I saw in a community update that they are added/have added deranking. This is a terrible design decision and ill explain why (go to bottom for short summary if you dont wanna read the wall). Have you guys ever gotten to a high rank and didn’t play that mode so that you didn’t lose a game and lose it. Well now you have to worry about this in tiers. You FINALLY make it to diamond and you never play the mode again so it stays that way. Or your pushing for onyx and get to diamond and go on a small losing streak and your back down to platinum. It is a good checkpoint system Incase you cant play with a team or whatever but still want to play the game. I usually get ranked straight onyx for team arena which means that I’m never gonna play that mode again unless I have a full team which I can tell you isn’t often. I’m gonna lose more games than I win because in that tier a lot of full teams are present and no matter how good I or anyone on my team is we wont beat a full team.
> > Summary:
> > it will prevent people from playing the game/game modes and in countries like Australia it will be very hard to find a game.
>
>
> Then that only means that your skill level is roughly at the edge of one and the beginning of another rank, instead of just getting stuck at low Onyx and losing more games to begin with.

ummmm what? I stated that I don’t have a team all the time so I cant always do it and sometimes you come up against extremely coordinated teams and you just cant beat them. Especially when in onyx unless they are champion they can be much better than another onyx.

> 2535446485707379;9:
> A number of players already do placements then cease play in the playlist. So it’s hardly a new thing. Fear of “losing” your rank isn’t a great reason to stop. More casual players likely do not care enough about rank to do so. More hardcore players aren’t going to do so either, as they recognize they do not deserve their rank if they cannot maintain the level of play necessary to keep it. The only big difference is the new system requires consistent performance. I fail to see the problem. I can’t help but think people are against it because they feel entitled to a rank but cannot play consistently enough to keep it.
>
>
> > 2533274961306591;4:
> > I just found out today that this had became a thing. It stinks for the reason you’ve described OP, for sure.
> >
> > However, I also imagine that some people are going to start de-ranking now on purpose to get into lower tiers so they can stomp on weaker players. It used to happen all the time during Halo 3. I wonder how it will affect matchmaking now.
>
>
> I’ve seen this statement a number of times and it’s a real head scratcher. The ability to de-rank doesn’t allow anymore abuse in this fashion compared to jumping to a new gamertag.

but if you use team mates to derank then you can kd farm not just that but not every can have consistent performance because they can’t play everday. This means that when you get on it takes a while to get use to things again.

They can still get carried and contonu

> 2533274809541057;10:
> My 2 cents. I’m glad de-ranking is now a thing.
>
> No more carries to divisions higher than you should be in. I’m sure you’ve all run into Onyx/Diamond players that have no business being ranked that high…

they can still get carried and then continue to get carried through onyx though

You have completely missed the point of a skill ranking system. The point is to determine your skill level so that you can be matched with players of equal skill. The point is not to boost your ego, the point is not to have everyone always move upwards. The whole point is to be able to predict everyone’s performance.

So, all I can say is: if you want a progression system, concentrate on your SR ranks. Complaining about a supposed-to-be skill rating system finally functioning as it should is just silly. If you lose a division, the only thing you have to blame is your own lack of skill. It’s harsh, but that’s how it works. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

I got stuck in diamond when I first started playing Halo 5, It sucked. I couldn’t get used to the game/controls/aiming/maps/power weapon spaws etc.
Basically couldn’t play until the ranks reset, I had no business being in Diamond at that time and would have loved to be able to rank down.
So I think deranking is a good thing. I also used to get lazy if I was ranked Plat 1 or Diamond 1 now I need to keep on my toes.

I don’t know if you just are onyx 1500 and keep losing games you shouldn’t stay on that rank in my opinion , because you are than a bad onyx player and your onyx team mates get matched with someone who doesn’t deserve that rank

> 2533274963454624;18:
> I don’t know if you just are onyx 1500 and keep losing games you shouldn’t stay on that rank in my opinion , because you are than a bad onyx player and your onyx team mates get matched with someone who doesn’t deserve that rank

I felt soo bad for the diamonds I was matching with :’(

> 2533274825830455;16:
> You have completely missed the point of a skill ranking system. The point is to determine your skill level so that you can be matched with players of equal skill. The point is not to boost your ego, the point is not to have everyone always move upwards. The whole point is to be able to predict everyone’s performance.
>
> So, all I can say is: if you want a progression system, concentrate on your SR ranks. Complaining about a supposed-to-be skill rating system finally functioning as it should is just silly. If you lose a division, the only thing you have to blame is your own lack of skill. It’s harsh, but that’s how it works. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

Although your assertion may be true of the hidden MMR that we never see, I think you have actually missed the point of the visible, CSR system. Most people would reasonably assume that what you say about matching equal players is true but it is simply not borne out in practice.

Many players improve significantly with training, over time, and even over one season. I can guarantee you that the hidden MMR used to actually match players in games improves with them. But when does their newly placed CSR? Never. When does a player ever get a CSR placement higher in a new season than where they finished the previous season? But if you win all your placements while topping the leader boards the MMR that you never see will definitely be higher that where it was at the end of the last season. And I’m sure that previously, though you could not de-rank CSR tiers, your MMR kept adjusting down for every loss at Diamond/Plat/Gold1.

It’s also shown in actual matchmaking that MMR is a much bigger factor than CSR in setting up equal games. It’s one of the big reasons people are confused when Golds match Onyxs, etc. They can’t see the actual algorithm being used (or the number of available players on line for that matter). 343’s model relies on slapping players visible CSR back down with monthly resets in order to stimulate the increased game play required to “get your placement and work your way up through the ranks” as it says in the ranked lobby intro. If everyone understood 343’s implementation strategy with the flashy, jewelry named CSR and monthly resets at least some of them would be less salty about it, or at least care less. CSR is not what 343 believes your actual skill level to be (that’s your MMR). It’s a stimulus to get you to play.

So the TL/DR version is this: MMR is the invisible/hidden algorithm used to best match whichever closely skilled players happen to be momentarily available on line. CSR on the other hand is a big, fancy carrot on a stick that some players will chase forever.

I’m not blaming 343 for their attempts to get more people playing more often. But I also can’t blame people for feeling confused or even deceived about the strategy.