"Why change things for the sake of change?"

On my nearly-daily visits to the Forums, I often see one thing - people saying “Why change things for the sake of change?” or words to that effect. You go on almost any post regarding a new feature, whether the post itself is positive, neutral or negative, and you’re likely to see someone saying something along those lines. One example was the announcement of the Weapon and Armor Skins, people were asking “What is the point?” and things like that.

I would like to say that 343i are not actually changing things just for the hell of it. They don’t just go, “You know what, lets screw with that for no reason!”. One of the main reasons they’re changing this things has been outlined in almost all posts made by them. They’re making their Halo game. The Halo game they want to make, and play, and ultimately, as a studio, they can choose to do so. They’re not Bungie. They’re not making a Bungie Halo game. This is their game, and they will add things they want into Halo.

The other reason they are changing things is because, frankly, they need to be changed. Things which are flawed, that need to be fixed or removed. (Like armor lock, goodbye!)

Personally, I wouldn’t be too scared of what 343i are doing. All the 3-second long clips of random gameplay footage that I have seen looks like Halo to me. And, almost every single person working at 343i came to work for them because they are fans of Halo, they wanted to make Halo. I can’t outline this enough; their Halo.

-Cameron <3

You know from your title I was about to post here telling you to -Yoink- off for another post -Yoinking!- about changes, then I read it and all I have to say is thank you. Every hour it seems we have a new post rehashing a gripe about something, so thank you for generally telling everyone to shut the -Yoink- up and watch and wait, is rather refreshing.

> You know from your title I was about to post here telling you to -Yoink!- off for another post -Yoinking!- about changes, then I read it and all I have to say is thank you. Every hour it seems we have a new post rehashing a gripe about something, so thank you for generally telling everyone to shut the -Yoink!- up and watch and wait, is rather refreshing.

Thank you :3

I agree, it does tend to irritate to see so many people doing nothing but complaining because the game’s not going to recreate the feeling of awesomeness they got from Halo 2 down to the last pixel and twitchy glitch.
Personally I really don’t care, so long as it’s a good game.

Not only that, but I tend to agree with something Mark Zuckerberg said about Facebook that it’s better to be accused of changing for the sake of change than it is to be accused of becoming stale.

That being said, anybody checked out Quake Arena Arcade’s multiplayer? It was the height of awesomeness back when it first came out on PC…but even the HD re-release is a frikin’ tumbleweed party.

*Remove Armor Lock - YAY

*Add regen, some shield thing, forerunner vision, etc - LOL WTF?

Call of Halo is not looking too good.

You do realize that half the things are added to attract people right? It’s not the change for the sake of change, but the change for the sake of money. A huge portion of things are not beneficial to balanced or fair gameplay. I highly doubt it’s because they’re making it their game, half the stuff is from other games anyways.

> You do realize that half the things are added to attract people right? It’s not the change for the sake of change, but the change for the sake of money. A huge portion of things are not beneficial to balanced or fair gameplay. I highly doubt it’s because they’re making it their game, half the stuff is from other games anyways.

Pretty much this.

“The money is always right!”

> On my nearly-daily visits to the Forums, I often see one thing - people saying “Why change things for the sake of change?” or words to that effect. You go on almost any post regarding a new feature, whether the post itself is positive, neutral or negative, and you’re likely to see someone saying something along those lines. One example was the announcement of the Weapon and Armor Skins, people were asking “What is the point?” and things like that.
>
> I would like to say that 343i are not actually changing things just for the hell of it. They don’t just go, “You know what, lets screw with that for no reason!”. One of the main reasons they’re changing this things has been outlined in almost all posts made by them. They’re making their Halo game. The Halo game they want to make, and play, and ultimately, as a studio, they can choose to do so. They’re not Bungie. They’re not making a Bungie Halo game. This is their game, and they will add things they want into Halo.
>
> The other reason they are changing things is because, frankly, they need to be changed. Things which are flawed, that need to be fixed or removed. (Like armor lock, goodbye!)
>
> Personally, I wouldn’t be too scared of what 343i are doing. All the 3-second long clips of random gameplay footage that I have seen looks like Halo to me. And, almost every single person working at 343i came to work for them because they are fans of Halo, they wanted to make Halo. I can’t outline this enough; their Halo.
>
> -Cameron <3

And no game can remain fresh and exciting for ten years. Change needs to accure for the game to remain fun, sure they could make H4 to play like H2 again. But then they would only have a few thousand people playing the game…

On the contrary OP, I want more change not less! :wink:
Halo has grown stale since Halo 3, and copy-pasting features from other “popular” games is not going to save it. Halo needs to evolve and introduce truly new things, gameplay and features…like shudders CoD.
Gears brought Horde mode, Homefront gave us Battlecommander AI, Battlefield destruction, CoD killcam, streaks, killcam, prestige and much more.
Halo ODST/Reach brough…nothing! Neither of teh games managed to deliver a single new feature or new gameplay, at best they copied other popular features (horde, AAs) but had nothing to offer themselves. That’s the major reason Halo is declining in popularity, it’s stale and boring and the changes made are just to alien but yet old and dated. Why play Halo when CoD offers the same and more? or BF? or MoH?
Halo needs to step up it’s game and offer unique features once again, be the leader of the genre breaking barriers!

> I agree, it does tend to irritate to see so many people doing nothing but complaining because the game’s not going to recreate the feeling of awesomeness they got from Halo 2 down to the last pixel and twitchy glitch.
> Personally I really don’t care, so long as it’s a good game.
>
> Not only that, but I tend to agree with something Mark Zuckerberg said about Facebook that it’s better to be accused of changing for the sake of change than it is to be accused of becoming stale.
>
> That being said, anybody checked out Quake Arena Arcade’s multiplayer? It was the height of awesomeness back when it first came out on PC…but even the HD re-release is a frikin’ tumbleweed party.

This^^^^^

Side Note: Really? Why is the removal of armor lock in EVERY post?!?!?

It’s not that bad…Just a few seconds of waiting… Not to mention it has legit (Non-noob) uses.

Not saying I like having it around, but seriously, Yeah it’s gone. Get over it already.

they are changing the game because of duty set the bar high. this is the general reason why they are copying cod so much. if bungie didnt -Yoink- up with reach, halo would still be a top 3 game and 343 wouldnt have to copy so much -Yoink- from cod. since halo isnt even a top 5 game anymore and its getting beaten by 2 cod games, 343 needs to attract those cod kids somehow. we will probably never see a h1 or h2 type game anymore. it’ll be halo with a bunch of call of duty twists.

When I personally ask “why change things for the sake of change?” I ask it in response to the changes to blur the line between Halo and other shooters.

I know, time well tell more, but it seems like the game is becoming less and less unique under the guise of what keeps being referred to as “evolution”.

> On the contrary OP, I want more change not less! :wink:
> Halo has grown stale since Halo 3, and copy-pasting features from other “popular” games is not going to save it. Halo needs to evolve and introduce truly new things, gameplay and features…like shudders CoD.
> Gears brought Horde mode, Homefront gave us Battlecommander AI, Battlefield destruction, CoD killcam, streaks, killcam, prestige and much more.
> Halo ODST/Reach brough…nothing! Neither of teh games managed to deliver a single new feature or new gameplay, at best they copied other popular features (horde, AAs) but had nothing to offer themselves. That’s the major reason Halo is declining in popularity, it’s stale and boring and the changes made are just to alien but yet old and dated. Why play Halo when CoD offers the same and more? or BF? or MoH?
> Halo needs to step up it’s game and offer unique features once again, be the leader of the genre breaking barriers!

Yeh, I hate when people say 343 is innovating when almost all of it is from other games. Only thing I give credit to is Spartan Ops. And then people say I hate change when I have an opinion against custom classes and other stuff. Halo could have added something else to innovate and truly make it “their own game”, and not a copy of other games.

Halo 4 is looking good so far:

1. Custom Loadouts, Thank You! We never have to worry about Slayer v Team BRs ever again
  2. 343i seems to be making a greater emphasis on balancing AAs than Bungie did with Reach
  3. Specializations from what I’ve come to understand are small bonuses like extra ammo or grenade and are not gameplay altering. CoDs perks in most cases are gameplay altering.
  4. Tweaked sprint because of people whining “someone got away”. So now players slow down when shot.
  5. Guns, grenades, shields, Halo!

Edit: I forgot SPARTAN OPS!!!

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not call out individuals. This includes forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

it’s all marketing 12 year old boys like call of duty so they cow tow to them. it’s all about the money this is not bungie . this is a micrsoft game they want money money money money. reach sucked becuase bungie was done with the game sure microsoft was like you have one more on your contract so they had to make it. frankie was not their at the start its not right he runs it . and their main art lead made golf games it’s sad. kiki made raceing games …bungie made shooters and adventure games it’s a sad state of afairs.

>

Cry More?
And it’s kind of rude of you to suggest because of the background of those you mentioned, they can’t be part of Halo.

Great thread :slight_smile: I cant wait for E3 to see what we will get in terms of information :heart:

> *Remove Armor Lock - YAY
>
> <mark>*Add regen, some shield thing, forerunner vision, etc - LOL WTF?</mark>
>
> Call of Halo is not looking too good.

Do you know what you’re talking about?

I, too, thought this was another thread that simply shot down what 343i is doing with zero explanation as to why the OP felt that way. Thanks for the pleasant surprise :slight_smile:

I 110% agree with you! Without innovation between games in a series, the line of uniqueness that differentiates each game seems to blur, and the whole series becomes, in essence, a single game with nothing that makes each little “chapter” stand out.

Sure, 343i is borrowing ideas from other companies. All I have to say to that is: OF COURSE. Halo’s gameplay wasn’t an original idea in itself. It borrowed ideas from games like Quake and Wolfenstein and put their own twist on it. That’s just the way the game industry works!

> > *Remove Armor Lock - YAY
> >
> > <mark>*Add regen, some shield thing, forerunner vision, etc - LOL WTF?</mark>
> >
> > Call of Halo is not looking too good.
>
> Do you know what you’re talking about?

Despite whether 343 wanted us to know or not, the cat’s out the bag. That stuff is true.