why bloom is good

Bloom requires more skill to use, and that’s the whole point of the game. You need to know how to pace your shots, spam shooters should not be rewarded. “But it’s not hard to do and easily memorized” Even if everyone could do it just the same, it’s needed to keep the weapons effective range intact. With severely reduced or no bloom, it makes it much easier to cross-map kill with a weapon like the DMR or the pistol. This is a problem because it’s not supposed to be that easy to get a kill at a range that exceeds the weapons set range, it shouldn’t be used as a kind of “sniper”. “But it still takes more time to kill with a zero bloom DMR than it does a sniper” That may be but you shouldn’t be able to get a kill on someone at a sniping range in the same amount of time it would take if you were 30 feet away. When you think about it the bloom on a DMR is kind of like the spread on a shotgun; it keeps the weapon effective at the intended range. The difference being that a shotgun and a DMR are two different types of weapons. The DMR is ment to be used at longer ranges, it’s just not supposed to be as effective because it’s outside the weapons intended range.

> Bloom requires more skill to use, and that’s the whole point of the game. You need to know how to pace your shots, <mark>spam shooters should not be rewarded</mark>. “But it’s not hard to do and easily memorized” Even if everyone could do it just the same, it’s needed to keep the weapons effective range intact. With severely reduced or no bloom, it makes it much easier to cross-map kill with a weapon like the DMR or the pistol. This is a problem because it’s not supposed to be that easy to get a kill at a range that exceeds the weapons set range, it shouldn’t be used as a kind of “sniper”. “But it still takes more time to kill with a zero bloom DMR than it does a sniper” That may be but you shouldn’t be able to get a kill on someone at a sniping range in the same amount of time it would take if you were 30 feet away. When you think about it the bloom on a DMR is kind of like the spread on a shotgun; it keeps the weapon effective at the intended range. The difference being that a shotgun and a DMR are two different types of weapons. The DMR is ment to be used at longer ranges, it’s just not supposed to be as effective because it’s outside the weapons intended range.

Highlight: That’s the problem, it does, even with 85% bloom or 100% bloom, you can still get beat while you are pacing by a spammer.

This is why Bloom in Reach doesn’t work, it wasn’t thought out fully.

Ah yes, I have run into this problem before but I feel that even though it may not be perfect it still belongs in the game. It does still afford the ability to get lucky sometimes but it still isn’t as consistant as pacing your shots, that and like I said it’s important for keeping the weapon effective in the range that it belongs in. The only alternative to bloom to keep the weapon in its range would be to give it a spread akin to the shotgun, and I don’t think that would go over very well. All I’m saying is that keeping the bloom would be the lesser of two evils.

I did a test on spamming a long while back, at different distances aiming at head and chest. I found an inordinate number of my kills were head shots, whether a lucky sixth shot or a laborious tenth. The game corrects to much and practically gives away head shots. If it didn’t spamming would be practically worthless except for at the closest ranges. Bloom doesn’t reward anything… the mechanic that determines headshots does.

> Bloom requires more skill to use, and that’s the whole point of the game. You need to know how to pace your shots, spam shooters should not be rewarded.

You just blew your argument yourself.

“spam should not be rewarded”

Guess what, with 100% bloom, spam IS rewarded.

Tired of getting killed cross map?
Don’t run around in the open.

Tired of getting out classed in most encounters?
Get better.

You think bloom takes skill?
Do your homework so you don’t look ignorant on the subject.

> You just blew your argument yourself.
>
> “spam should not be rewarded”
>
> Guess what, with 100% bloom, spam IS rewarded.

So you’re telling me that when someone spam shoots with bloom and misses half the time they’re being rewarded more than if they tried that with zero bloom and hit every shot?

> Tired of getting killed cross map?
> Don’t run around in the open.

Well no -Yoink- but I think you missed the point.

> Tired of getting out classed in most encounters?
> Get better.

Never said I was being “out classed” and who are you to question my skill? (and I don’t mean to sound conceited) I think you’re trying to make this too personal before even considering the real problem.

> You think bloom takes skill?
> Do your homework so you don’t look ignorant on the subject.

If you think I’m missing something I would invite you to explain it to me but without being insulting right from the start. I get enough of that crap in-game, I don’t need it here.

Since when does it take skill to shoot slower?

> Since when does it take skill to shoot slower?

Anyone can mindlessly pull the trigger, it takes more thinking to pay attention to your bloom and shoot acordingly.

I’d just like to say up front that even if the reasoning for bloom from a skill perspective was completely shot down my point about it being needed to keep the weapon effective in its intended range should still be enough of an argument to keep it.

> > Bloom requires more skill to use, and that’s the whole point of the game. You need to know how to pace your shots, <mark>spam shooters should not be rewarded</mark>. “But it’s not hard to do and easily memorized” Even if everyone could do it just the same, it’s needed to keep the weapons effective range intact. With severely reduced or no bloom, it makes it much easier to cross-map kill with a weapon like the DMR or the pistol. This is a problem because it’s not supposed to be that easy to get a kill at a range that exceeds the weapons set range, it shouldn’t be used as a kind of “sniper”. “But it still takes more time to kill with a zero bloom DMR than it does a sniper” That may be but you shouldn’t be able to get a kill on someone at a sniping range in the same amount of time it would take if you were 30 feet away. When you think about it the bloom on a DMR is kind of like the spread on a shotgun; it keeps the weapon effective at the intended range. The difference being that a shotgun and a DMR are two different types of weapons. The DMR is ment to be used at longer ranges, it’s just not supposed to be as effective because it’s outside the weapons intended range.
>
> Highlight: That’s the problem, it does, even with 85% bloom or 100% bloom, you can still get beat while you are pacing by a spammer.
>
> This is why Bloom in Reach doesn’t work, it wasn’t thought out fully.

Bloom works excellent in reach, you just need to know when to spam and when to pace. If someone is right in front of you and you decide to pace your shots; that would be stupid on your part, if your opponent spams he will easily win because even when spamming the bloom will not outstretch your head. People keep complaining that “I’m pacing my shots and still losing DMR battles to spammers.” Like I said you just got to know when to pace and when to spam.

> > > Bloom requires more skill to use, and that’s the whole point of the game. You need to know how to pace your shots, <mark>spam shooters should not be rewarded</mark>. “But it’s not hard to do and easily memorized” Even if everyone could do it just the same, it’s needed to keep the weapons effective range intact. With severely reduced or no bloom, it makes it much easier to cross-map kill with a weapon like the DMR or the pistol. This is a problem because it’s not supposed to be that easy to get a kill at a range that exceeds the weapons set range, it shouldn’t be used as a kind of “sniper”. “But it still takes more time to kill with a zero bloom DMR than it does a sniper” That may be but you shouldn’t be able to get a kill on someone at a sniping range in the same amount of time it would take if you were 30 feet away. When you think about it the bloom on a DMR is kind of like the spread on a shotgun; it keeps the weapon effective at the intended range. The difference being that a shotgun and a DMR are two different types of weapons. The DMR is ment to be used at longer ranges, it’s just not supposed to be as effective because it’s outside the weapons intended range.
> >
> > Highlight: That’s the problem, it does, even with 85% bloom or 100% bloom, you can still get beat while you are pacing by a spammer.
> >
> > This is why Bloom in Reach doesn’t work, it wasn’t thought out fully.
>
> Bloom works excellent in reach, you just need to know when to spam and when to pace. If someone is right in front of you and you decide to pace your shots; that would be stupid on your part, if your opponent spams he will easily win because even when spamming the bloom will not outstretch your head. People keep complaining that “I’m pacing my shots and still losing DMR battles to spammers.” Like I said you just got to know when to pace and when to spam.

Exactly, that’s another point: knowing when you can spam effectively by knowing the area you’re working with, which is still considered “pacing” you’re shots (shooting at the most effective speed while taking all variables into account)

> > Since when does it take skill to shoot slower?
>
> Anyone can mindlessly pull the trigger, it takes more thinking to pay attention to your bloom and shoot acordingly.

It doesn’t take more thinking, it just restrains the better players. Why should you have to slow down your shots? Are you trying to let the other player have a chance? The concept makes no sense.

Spam vs bloom- where the skillz be at?

I had enough of that on b.net when the game was released.

> >
>
> On 100% bloom, is it actually, and factually proven, to spam the DMR instead of pacing.
>
> You’re actually trying to say that “firing slower takes more skill” than firing at the full RoF.
>
> Having to fire your shots slower limits the better player and gives a boost to the lesser one and then bloom throws in an extra randomness element into the mix.
>
>
>
> I strongly suggest you do some homework in the bloom subject because you are clearly ignorant on the matter right now.

No

> > > Since when does it take skill to shoot slower?
> >
> > Anyone can mindlessly pull the trigger, it takes more thinking to pay attention to your bloom and shoot acordingly.
>
> It doesn’t take more thinking, it just restrains the better players. Why should you have to slow down your shots? Are you trying to let the other player have a chance? The concept makes no sense.

When I say it takes more thinking, I don’t mean that it’s such a chore to have to pay attention to it. It’s just that it separates the people who are and are not smart enough to do it. I’ve seen this many times online: I get many more kills than the guy I’m fighting at a medium distance because you just keeps firing as fast as he wants. Would it be unfair to say that based on that example it obviously takes more “skill/thinking/paying attention”, whatever you want to call it, to get a kill using bloom than without? That’s why I want it. If you’re not smart or good enough to take the bloom into account and I am, I deserve the kill.

> When I say it takes more thinking, I don’t mean that it’s such a chore to have to pay attention to it. It’s just that it separates the people who are and are not smart enough to do it. I’ve seen this many times online: I get many more kills than the guy I’m fighting at a medium distance because you just keeps firing as fast as he wants. Would it be unfair to say that based on that example it obviously takes more “skill/thinking/paying attention”, whatever you want to call it, to get a kill using bloom than without? That’s why I want it. If you’re not smart or good enough to take the bloom into account and I am, I deserve the kill.

Your example is invalid because 90% of the people that play Halo: Reach don’t even know what bloom is. The debate over the TU isn’t even about bloom anymore, it’s about balance. If the sandbox was balanced at Zero Bloom (AR buff, 90% melee, health regeneration, etc.) there would be no more debate about the TU.

> > >
> >
> > On 100% bloom, is it actually, and factually proven, to spam the DMR instead of pacing.
> >
> > You’re actually trying to say that “firing slower takes more skill” than firing at the full RoF.
> >
> > Having to fire your shots slower limits the better player and gives a boost to the lesser one and then bloom throws in an extra randomness element into the mix.
> >
> >
> >
> > I strongly suggest you do some homework in the bloom subject because you are clearly ignorant on the matter right now.
>
> Again, was that last comment really necessary? See the post I put before this one for a further rebuttal of your statement.

The problem with your logic OP is that you DON’T have to take Bloom into account to get the kill. 80% of the time you will still get the kill despite spamming, which is why bloom is unnecessary and detrimental to skillful gameplay.

> Your example is invalid because 90% of the people that play Halo: Reach don’t even know what bloom is. The debate over the TU isn’t even about bloom anymore, it’s about balance. If the sandbox was balanced at Zero Bloom (AR buff, 90% melee, health regeneration, etc.) there would be no more debate about the TU.

Would you please elaborate?