Why aren't "remakes" simply HD Copies? Why do they ruin good things?

Bungie didn’t get it and I doubt 343 will. People like Halo CE because it was fun and well made, and the nostalgia of old Halo games… I mean it is the classic FPS.

Why change anything? I mean ANYTHING?

I would have been fine buying Combat Evolved w/ achievements and LIVE support/co-op. HD graphics… meh I don’t really care, because the gameplay is why Combat Evolved was fun.

BLOOM. Melee lock-on lunge. Armor abilities. Garbage maps. Aim Assist x 10000. The gradual changes from Combat Evolved to Halo 3 weren’t so bad, but to add bloom in Reach just destroyed Halo.

Now I see combat evolved anniversary, and the first thing I say is… "Well combat evolved was awesome, I wonder what they will change (aka mess up) to make sure it isn’t as good.

Same thing with map remakes. Lockout from Halo 2 was epic… Black out is stupid! Adding equipment in Halo 3 wasn’t the worst thing ever but honestly Halo 2 was fine without it, then it and some other stupid changes make Blackout completely different from Lockout.

I want to play Halo: Combat Evolved… because it was fun and is a classic. I don’t want to play Halo: Reach: Combat Evolved with crap Reach bloom and other garbage. Just COPY AND PASTE, draw the line at improving graphics if you want to try and justify your existence as a developer leeching off the success of a once great franchise.

PEACE

> Bungie didn’t get it and I doubt 343 will. People like Halo CE because it was fun and well made, and the nostalgia of old Halo games… I mean it is the classic FPS.
>
> Why change anything? I mean ANYTHING?
>
> I would have been fine buying Combat Evolved w/ achievements and LIVE support/co-op. HD graphics… meh I don’t really care, because the gameplay is why Combat Evolved was fun.
>
> Developers trying to re-invent the wheel and appeal to casual noobs that don’t want to learn to not suck is why Halo Reach is terrible.
>
> BLOOM. Melee lock-on lunge. Armor abilities. Garbage maps. Aim Assist x 10000. The gradual changes from Combat Evolved to Halo 3 weren’t so bad, but to add bloom in Reach just destroyed Halo.
>
> Now I see combat evolved anniversary, and the first thing I say is… "Well combat evolved was awesome, I wonder what they will change (aka mess up) to make sure it isn’t as good.
>
> Same thing with map remakes. Lockout from Halo 2 was epic… Black out is stupid! Adding equipment in Halo 3 wasn’t the worst thing ever but honestly Halo 2 was fine without it, then it and some other stupid changes make Blackout completely different from Lockout.
>
> I want to play Halo: Combat Evolved… because it was fun and is a classic. I don’t want to play Halo: Reach: Combat Evolved with crap Reach bloom and other garbage. Just COPY AND PASTE, draw the line at improving graphics if you want to try and justify your existence as a developer leeching off the success of a once great franchise.
>
> PEACE

I hope you do realise that there is more to a ‘remake’ than just a plain old, ‘copy & paste, new graphics engine, ship it and go’.

There is more extensive features that need to be added so it doesn’t just come out as some silly remake that people can play on there original Xbox disks for CE.

I personally prefer all of this right now, compared to a HD remake.

Also, I saw a hint of you complaining they used Reach’s Multiplayer instead of remaking CE’s Multiplayer, it simply wasn’t an option, how the engine for CE was, is well, it wasn’t setup for online Xbox LIVE play, changing this would have made CEA a different game.

There is going to be a classic playlist. Also, Halo CE’s graphics are so muddy from over the past 10 years that an HD only upgrade woulda make it look neat, but not very pretty. CEA is CE, but with a prettier shell. If you don’t want to see it, you can always hit the back button and you will be magically transported back 10 years and you will be able to get achievements this time. :slight_smile:

Simple, play Halo Combat Evolved. No one is forcing you to buy CEA, or any of the other sequels for that matter.

Some people, myself included, like remakes of maps because they allow us to look back at how things have changed, and experience something old, yet at the same time new and refreshing. Plus, there is always the option to just play the older game to get that sense of nostalgia.

I like Reach, thank you very much. Don’t act like your opinion is gospel. Some like Reach, some don’t.

I don’t understand what your problem with Anniversary. It’s literally the same game with an extra graphics layer. The only differences are additions to supplement the experience if you want it to.

> Bungie didn’t get it and I doubt 343 will. People like Halo CE because it was fun and well made, and the nostalgia of old Halo games… I mean it is the classic FPS.
>
>
> I would have been fine buying Combat Evolved w/ achievements and LIVE support/co-op. HD graphics… meh I don’t really care, because the gameplay is why Combat Evolved was fun.
>
> Developers trying to re-invent the wheel and appeal to casual noobs that don’t want to learn to not suck is why Halo Reach is terrible.
>
> BLOOM. Melee lock-on lunge. Armor abilities. Garbage maps. Aim Assist x 10000. The gradual changes from Combat Evolved to Halo 3 weren’t so bad, but to add bloom in Reach just destroyed Halo.
>
> Now I see combat evolved anniversary, and the first thing I say is… "Well combat evolved was awesome, I wonder what they will change (aka mess up) to make sure it isn’t as good.
>
> Same thing with map remakes. Lockout from Halo 2 was epic… Black out is stupid! Adding equipment in Halo 3 wasn’t the worst thing ever but honestly Halo 2 was fine without it, then it and some other stupid changes make Blackout completely different from Lockout.
>
> I want to play Halo: Combat Evolved… because it was fun and is a classic. I don’t want to play Halo: Reach: Combat Evolved with crap Reach bloom and other garbage. Just COPY AND PASTE, draw the line at improving graphics if you want to try and justify your existence as a developer leeching off the success of a once great franchise.
>
> PEACE

If you want, you can play it like an HD Remake with no issues at all. Everything added is to make the game worth the $40 they are selling it for.

Honestly, if they didn’t add all the extra fun that they have, they wouldn’t receive as many sales and they would have a lot of rants about spending $40 for a game they can buy much cheaper on ebay, with out any updated graphics and have the same game.

Selling a graphics pack for $40 would be crazy, so instead they gave us our moneys worth and more.

Different move speeds.

Different jump heights.

Different character sizes.

Different weapon sandbox balances.

That is why a remake cannot just be copy paste. If you made an exact remake of Sanctuary, the jump ups to Ring 2 would not be possible with Reach’s lower jump height.

Please keep the waypoint spirit and do not attack other members. Remember to be polite, civilized, friendly and to have fun.

I don’t think I follow… what are you trying to complain about?

You’d get 1/6 of the actual Anniversary sales with your way.

PEACE

> Please keep the waypoint spirit and do not attack other members. Remember to be polite, civilized, friendly and to have fun.
>
>
>
>
> I don’t think I follow… what are you trying to complain about?

I was just trying to find the same thing…

I mean, CE:A nearly is an exact replica of CE, campaign wise…

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> PEACE

I think you missed the part where they are making a Halo CE hopper that plays as much like the original game as possible.

If you want to play Halo CE with other people get a PC copy and find some people who run servers.

And they won’t make an exact copy of the Halo CE multiplayer when they have Halo 4 coming out next year.

Halo: Custom Edition, the console port of Halo: Combat Evolved to the PC in 2003, was a grand success 8 years ago, back in the post-golden age of PC gaming. Even to this day, as console exclusives dominate the market while a lack of buoyant PC titles leaves the computer-gamer quivering in shock and fear, PC gamers always resort back to what was great several years ago - the outdated multiplayer aspect of Halo PC. But why do they do so, when demographics show most PC gamers also own consoles with similar games on it? Well, we here at [REDACTED] have take the liberty of stripping the curtains away from this small, overshadowed community and have discovered that the Multiplayer aspect of Halo PC (being the first variant of its kind) caters solely towards the casual gamer. Understandably, one might recoil verbally that the lack of modern day functions like aim assist and bullet magnetism makes Halo PC’s online multiplayer utterly competitive, but are extensive, visceral studies show that the Halo PC community are all casuals.
Interesting read there. Anyways, why complain OP? This game is a remake of Halo: Combat Evolved for 39.99, not Halo PC. They’re remaking what made Halo - Halo, not what came out a couple years later.

I do agree with the OP on principle - the original Halo: Combat Evolved was fun, and all that was really needed was a port to the Xbox 360 with Xbox LIVE support. That said, I’m super appreciative that 343 Industries is going the extra mile to give us that…and then some. Sure, the price of this content-filled package is the classic multiplayer component being cut for time/resource’s sake. However, Reach is a perfectly competent engine, and the campaign will be exactly intact in the end. Really, the update is such a positive gesture, OP.

I dont get it, are you speaking about reach or CEA?
CEA Plays EXACTLY the same. They only added a new graphics layer, skulls, terminals and updated music. The multiplayer part is nonexistent, they made a map-pack for reach using classic maps. People seem to get this mixed up alot. CEA does NOT HAVE MULTIPLAYER, it has the reach multiplayer with new maps, THE MULTIPLAYER IS STILL REACH

If you prefer to have Halo CE with a simple up-res, then that is exactly what you will have with Halo Anniversary… just press the back button and play in Classic mode. Some of us are really excited for the new visuals. With Halo Anniversary, we all get what we want :slight_smile: