Why are we praising 343i?

Before I start I would like to say I’m not just a hater. I have a right to question and criticize 343’s business practices in hopes for a better game. Finally, I should state any possible biases toward my opinion: I prefer classic halo (no sprint, no AA, etc.), I believe autos are “nooby” and precision weapons should be dominant with a fairly skilled player, I think the unlock system should consist of doing achievements, I think pro FFA and MM FFA should be different, and competitive settings should not be the focus of core MM settings.

343 has had control of the Halo franchise for some 5 years now; within those 5 years there have been many personnel and game changes. 343 has had success with Halo 5, I applaud them for their dedication, but it has left the community fighting its hardest in the “Great Halo Civil War.” However, something I see very consistently on both sides is the praise for the updates. As much as I enjoy getting free stuff, I can’t help but feel robbed by the updates. Although each update brings new maps, modes, forge items, and overall tweaks, we shouldn’t be praising 343 for them. The controversy of micro-transactions in Halo has been covered far too many times but most of the time the community needs to ask a question: Why do we get tons of similar micro-transaction advancements with every update? The fact that most of the people praising the updates fail to see that their “new map” is trying to hide micro-transactions is sad and needs to stop. One of the greatest flaws I see with the update system is how 343 only releases patches on bugs that don’t completely break the build of Halo 5 with the updates. Problems such as only seeing the first page of your bookmarks should have been fixed a month at most after the problem occurred at the release of Anvil’s Legacy, but 343 pushes fixes back with the updates and the community praises them for it. The last thing I want to talk about is delayed content. Delayed content has been a controversy since the release of the game. However, what shocks me is when the community says Oh yes! Thank you 343! I’m so glad you decided to add Assault to the game, 4 months after release, but it doesn’t matter because you worked hard and the free update system gives it to us as free dlc not paid. I don’t understand how the community keeps praising 343 every update. I think the community needs to band together and tell 343: We like things such as free maps and updated forge content, but using it to sneak in more micro-transactions and delaying bug fixes in the game is not right, unfair, and can hurt the game itself.

Because they’ve realized their previous mistakes. They love their fans, and they’re giving stuff away for free.

A year after launch, and they’re still supporting the game? That’s amazing. Very few companies are doing that.

So why not?

Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.

as far as updated are concerned, Halo 5 is still receiving the type of updates that were all shipped day one with Halo 3…and worked.

> 2755103879196250;3:
> Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
> I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.

you do relize that those are two completely different teams and that a majority of the team is working on halo 5 and 6 right.

shhhhh, relax and let 343 have their moment. in a month this will probably be a very tearing topic but right now let blind enjoyment fill you. Criticism is a great thing but give praise where praise is due, too much negativity will make any experience bad.

Because we finally have the Halo game we should have always had from the start now. H5 is yoinking awesome now

> 2533274840624875;4:
> > 2755103879196250;3:
> > Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
> > I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.
>
> you do relize that those are two completely different teams and that a majority of the team is working on halo 5 and 6 right.

And, putting 4 different games on one disk from different time frames is probably a very difficult task. Problems were expected.

> 2533274840624875;4:
> > 2755103879196250;3:
> > Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
> > I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.
>
> you do relize that those are two completely different teams and that a majority of the team is working on halo 5 and 6 right.

Oh I absolutely realize that. This game changes hands more than any game I’ve seen and it shows.

> 2533274870389366;7:
> > 2533274840624875;4:
> > > 2755103879196250;3:
> > > Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
> > > I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.
> >
> > you do relize that those are two completely different teams and that a majority of the team is working on halo 5 and 6 right.
>
> And, putting 4 different games on one disk from different time frames is probably a very difficult task. Problems were expected.

That was a bad idea from the start. Those games should have been independent of each other on 1 disk. A good support team could have managed popular playlists to help populations. Halo 3 is self sustaining tho. There is a devout following for that game.

> 2755103879196250;9:
> > 2533274870389366;7:
> > > 2533274840624875;4:
> > > > 2755103879196250;3:
> > > > Look at the current state of MCC and you get a crystal clear picture of where bug fixes rank on their priority list.
> > > > I’m fairly certain they don’t have the talent to fix these without creating more problems.
> > >
> > > you do relize that those are two completely different teams and that a majority of the team is working on halo 5 and 6 right.
> >
> > And, putting 4 different games on one disk from different time frames is probably a very difficult task. Problems were expected.
>
> That was a bad idea from the start. Those games should have been independent of each other on 1 disk. A good support team could have managed popular playlists to help populations. Halo 3 is self sustaining tho. There is a devout following for that game.

You can blame Microsoft for that one.

> 2533274816788253;6:
> Because we finally have the Halo game we should have always had from the start now. H5 is yoinking awesome now

But that’s what I’m trying to say. Why are we praising them for things that should have happened a long time ago?

Part of the delay in adding some features and game modes was because a member of the team (Forge programmer) left at the start of the year. Over the past few months they’ve managed to build up some more resources to get a lot of that stuff back into Halo again - info is from the Gamespot article with Tom French. Don’t have a link handy, but easy to search if you’re interested

Edit [12/13/2016]: I’ve since caught some commentary from Tom that game modes affected by the programmer leaving were some of the minigames work, thought I should clarify that

> 2535458370664066;11:
> > 2533274816788253;6:
> > Because we finally have the Halo game we should have always had from the start now. H5 is yoinking awesome now
>
> But that’s what I’m trying to say. Why are we praising them for things that should have happened a long time ago?

I get what you are saying. You’re getting small pieces of your meal at a time instead of enjoying the whole meal together. And its not even cooked properly. So to speak

im happy they are happy so why not

> 2533274870389366;2:
> Because they’ve realized their previous mistakes. They love their fans, and they’re giving stuff away for free.
>
> A year after launch, and they’re still supporting the game? That’s amazing. Very few companies are doing that.
>
> So why not?

Yes I am very aware that we get stuff over a year after launch; but why are we praising them for more playlists and game modes? They take advantage of this to create an extended feeling of excitement. But they also have changed the game far too many times and far too quickly which generates more problems itself. I’m just trying to say we should praise 343 like they have done nothing wrong, not that we shouldn’t appreciate new maps and other stuff like that.

> 2535458370664066;11:
> > 2533274816788253;6:
> > Because we finally have the Halo game we should have always had from the start now. H5 is yoinking awesome now
>
> But that’s what I’m trying to say. Why are we praising them for things that should have happened a long time ago?

Why be a negative nancy? despite its limitations on launch I still enjoyed the game over all and I am really enjoying it now.

Always glad to see people call 343 out on their manipulative business practices, good on you.
Let’s not also forget now Reach had a dozen Firefight voices and Halo 5 is just now adding in the first three for ten dollars, Forge got released almost eleven months post-launch, and there were so few playlists at launch. I feel like the majority of people praising 343 are either newer players who haven’t understood what made Halo the greatest first-person-shooter in the first place, or fanboys who couldn’t care less about micro-transactions or shady business tactics. When Bungie released Cold Storage in Halo 3, that was a legitimate free update; everyone got immediate access to it and no work was required to access it. 343 adding in more high-tier REQ’s isn’t free unless you either have all the prerequisites unlocked, grind for them, or shell out money. The process of re-texturing a map or armor and acting like it’s more “new free stuff” is ridiculous.

> 2533274813317074;12:
> Part of the delay in adding some features and game modes was because a member of the team (Forge programmer) left at the start of the year. Over the past few months they’ve managed to build up some more resources to get a lot of that stuff back into Halo again - info is from the Gamespot article with Tom French. Don’t have a link handy, but easy to search if you’re interested

Releasing an incomplete game is unacceptable, Forge has been a noteworthy staple of the series since 2007. In my opinion, 343 shouldn’t have released a game that didn’t have sixty dollars worth of content to start with, and instead kept working on its development until Halo 5 matched its predecessors and other triple-A games in terms of content.

> 2533274816788253;16:
> > 2535458370664066;11:
> > > 2533274816788253;6:
> > > Because we finally have the Halo game we should have always had from the start now. H5 is yoinking awesome now
> >
> > But that’s what I’m trying to say. Why are we praising them for things that should have happened a long time ago?
>
> Why be a negative nancy? despite its limitations on launch I still enjoyed the game over all and I am really enjoying it now.

I’m not trying to be negative; I’m trying to advise caution. I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy the game, but praising 343 shouldn’t be happening on the level it is for what the updates are.

You know, it is possible to praise 343i for doing a good job and critique them on what they need to do better. You don’t have to only hate or only like what they do; there is plenty of middle ground to stand on.
There’s nothing wrong with showing a little appreciation when they do something well. Hell, that’s just common decency, really. It doesn’t change the fact that there is still more things they could do; it’s just letting them know we appreciate what they’ve done right.
Not acknowledging the good things is just as short sighted as not acknowledging the bad.