Why are plasma grenades so popular?

I get killed over and over (and over) with them. I have tried them, and I just don’t get it. I don’t find them as good as Frags. They don’t bounce, and have far less blast radius. The only upside is that they stick, and I do not see that as worth the downsides. Why are they so popular? Am I missing something?

Either frags are easily avoidable, or require luck/intelligent play to score a kill. A plasma grenade just needs either a little skill or proximity for a guaranteed kill.

they stick to spartans and vehicles

If players are able to choose from frags or stickies for a game of BTB, stickies are the obvious choice.

I will add that my grenade skills are comparable to a man with no arms or legs trying to throw a football.

I do prefer frags as well, but frags only pop shields. I’m pretty sure a plasma grenade would kill someone directly above it, even with full shields.

If they stick they kill gauranteed.

So two possible auto-kills with plasma + anti-vehicle capabilities

vs

Two small explosions that may or may not drop shields with frag + crap against vehicles

vs

1 exploding sphere, crap against vehicles, that you can walk out of with minor damage before it pops.

Its a no brainer to be frank.

> I do prefer frags as well, but frags only pop shields. I’m pretty sure a plasma grenade would kill someone directly above it, even with full shields.

It does. Ive used it to good effect in CTF. Throw a sticky at the flag base as someone is about to grab it = insta-kill.

Charge and Stick in small maps. Plus, with the Infinity Slayer settings, I noticed that players can survive grenade explosions when their grenade is stuck onto enemy players.

Add the Explosives support package, and they can be a pain in the bum.

Frags are excellent for wiping out large groups of slow moving enemies with little protection, and little intelligence in other words, grunts. Plasma grenades are ideal for killing fast moving, intelligent, and skilled opponents.

I feel that frag grenades are better suited to Spartan Ops, whereas plasma grenades are the only logical choice for War Games.

> If they stick they kill gauranteed.
>
> So two possible auto-kills with plasma + anti-vehicle capabilities
>
> vs
>
> Two small explosions that may or may not drop shields with frag + crap against vehicles
>
> vs
>
> 1 exploding sphere, crap against vehicles, that you can walk out of with minor damage before it pops.
>
> Its a no brainer to be frank.
>
>
>
> > I do prefer frags as well, but frags only pop shields. I’m pretty sure a plasma grenade would kill someone directly above it, even with full shields.
>
> It does. Ive used it to good effect in CTF. Throw a sticky at the flag base as someone is about to grab it = insta-kill.

The problem is, to kill them, they have to be RIGHT next to it, whereas the splash on the PG seems to exponentially decay with distance. Frags bounce and have considerable splash, and allow for a 1-3 shot kill when they hit the perp.

I like both I can’t choose which I like more or think is better but last time I checked I have more frag kills than plasma kills.

nope nvm I’m on frag grenade expert while i’m on plasma grenade master. I think stickies are more used because it has more uses and the nooby players will think they cannot get kills with frags but can gets some with plasma by sticking people.

…no need to thank me

Same reason the boltshot is popular, its easy to get kills with. I’ve had so many people just run up to me and stick me, it gets a bit annoying. I use frags personally cause I’m just used to throwing grenades on the ground and having them bounce after 7 years of spawning with frags, and 343 ruined all that…well lets not get into that debate again. The fact is, they’re an easy kill on people and vehicles

I’ve been seeing SOO many more stickies lately, and its getting pretty damn annoying

> I do prefer frags as well, but frags only pop shields. I’m pretty sure a plasma grenade would kill someone directly above it, even with full shields.

Nope, I’ve tried that on corner campers and seen the results. Unless you have the explosives perk, stickies don’t do anything unless you stick people/vehicles. I use them as a last resort, but even then they sometimes don’t throw, stop short, or flat out bounce off spartans. Yeah, lag sure does suck! I’ve even double stuck a ghost without it blowing up or killing the driver. I then shot a few pew pew pew from my BS and he blew up. I was still mad though, that seemed impossible.

Try to turn a bit to the right when attempting a direct stick, it helps.

One time I managed to blast somebody with a BS and immediately stick a jetpacking guy as I was going down for a double kill, hehe that was lucky. You can’t do cool stunts like that with normal frags…

EDIT: That underlined text is SARCASM. They will do a bit of damage, but nowhere near enough for reliable kills.

Because everyone saves them for vehicles…which ruins driving vehicles due to the fact that everyone on the enemy team has plasma grenades, and more than likely plasma pistols. I know 343 wanted to give us customization options for loadouts, but I think that spawning with plasma grenades gives obvious unfair advantages towards anyone who wants to drive a vehicle.

Is it not obvious, blast radius is large and it sticks to opponents. Clearly a historic and current favorite. I just think that allowing the use of 2 plasmas from the start of the game and respawn with them every time you die is a bad idea.

I’m a big fan of Pulse Grenades. I just don’t like that it is the only type of grenade that you can only start with 1 post-choosing loadout.

Well, lets see … why are plasma grenades so popular?

I’m going to go with the impending death squeal that they give off before you die.

From the moment you get stuck, you hear that evil squeal and scream letting you know that a re-spawn is coming your way!

Because they are a crutch. Have a vehicle coming your way? not to worry, just throw your sticky blue balls at it!

I prefer frag grenades, then again I do have nasty nade placement :smiley: