Why are button exploits still allowed in MCC?

I’ve been playing catch up with all the news so apologies if this has been discussed already. However looking through this past E3 and press briefings it appears for the MCC, Halo 2 will be returning with button combo exploits still in the game. Is this correct? Its interesting this would be allowed because even back in the day Bungie confirmed it cheating in the game itself.

They don’t violate the terms of service.

Nuff said.

> They don’t violate the terms of service.
>
> Nuff said.

^ Lock the thread!
But personally it’s sweet, we are basically opening a 10 year old time-capsule. Plus in the words of the poetic Ralph in regards to Vanellope Von Schweetz’s glitches, “And the players love her, glitch and all, just like I knew they would.”

My concern is unlike when Halo 2 was originally out we have a lot of, how should I say, macro controllers on the market today where BXR/ RRX YY RRX etc would be able to be preformed 100% of the time with the press of a button. I greatly enjoyed Halo 2 when I wasn’t getting into a modded match after I hit rank 40 in slayer, though I feel this will be a large issue going forward, especially now that its being publicized in a positive light. In my opinion a great game is a balanced game and I feel nostalgia has blinded us to how annoying this was back in the day.

They are encouraging the exploits this time around and even said they will teach new players how to use them. Bungie isn’t the current developer anymore so their past comments are irrelevant.

These exploits won’t be available in the anniversary multi-player. I’m hoping the anniversary multi-player will rule the roost! It is looking extremely good so we will just have to wait and see!

> They don’t violate the terms of service.
>
> Nuff said.

Actually it does violate the Code of Conduct rules but I don’t expect most people on these forums actually read something like that.

Overall I think threads like this need to be locked there too hot of a topic to be discuss here but with bungie themselves stating that it was cheating it doesn’t mean 10 years later that its not considered to be cheating now??, with 343 bringing back halo 2 the exact way it was 10 years ago doesn’t mean they’re 100% behind it, now they wanted to bring Halo 2 back the exact same way that the people remembered it that means glitches and all but do you think they support it no one really knows but does it mean it any less considered not cheating not really.

How would it violate the code of conduct?

I’m not a programmer so I may be talking out of my -Yoink- here, but I believe the exploits are as a result of “issues” with the coding, both with the graphics and the physics engine. With the exception of a treatment of the graphics to 1080p, the Halo 2 MP is being left to be as close to the original as possible which is how 343i want it. This means the glitches (or most of them) come as part of that as a consequence. I don’t think they will come with the 6 new maps since the coding is different.

Using these glitches being in violation of the terms of service/code of conduct is a different discussion.

The button glitches were the only reason Halo 2 was so good competitively. The BxR and double shot raised the individual skill gap pretty significantly.

343 wants to keep it in. Frankie said they are going to let the masses in on Button combos to broaden them. So at least they are making it more well known for those who have no idea why they got 1 shotted or know how to do them.

> The button glitches were the only reason Halo 2 was so good competitively. The BxR and double shot raised the individual skill gap pretty significantly.

So take it I can expect infinite ammo then on Halo 1, exploiting superjumps to get outside the barrier walls on headlong, turf, etc with the flag/bomb on Halo 2. And people macro’ing quadshooting to their custom controllers for insta-kills in halo 2 once you achieve a high rank?

I remember double/quadshooting and superjumps, BXR etc as well, many used it to grief or exploit others. I never knew anyone rank 35 or higher (other than MLG fans) who felt it “skillful”. Heck most of us bridged host just to avoid half the mess of the game. Nostalgia is a crazy drug I suppose, seems things that made people livid in the past are now a welcomed addition.

At least it’s only featured in a very small amount of the MCC’s total multiplayer content.

The question of why they are being left in is obvious - nostalgia, and pleasing the classic H2 crowd.

If you are asking if they should be left in - thats more debateable. They are part of Halo 2. They were not easy to pull off, and really did add another element to the gameplay. I have no idea why modern shooters haven’t purposely introduced this type of mechanic. The only button combo that I felt was too easy and just got spammed was BXB. It made melee fights devolve into spamming BXBXBXBXB and sort of randomized the timing and patience required in Halo melee combat.

People act like Halo 2 was full of combo spamming, as if everyone and their mother were BXR’ing and double/quadshotting. It was NOT easy (IMO except BXB), and when you did pull it off, you got the same feeling you would get by sniping someone in the head - -Yoink!-.

If they removed the combos from classic Halo 2 the people wanting to play the orginal game would just be annoyed. Pro’s like Walshy and Toxic Euphoria used these combos constantly and so did many other extremely skilled players. Also, the aim assist in Halo 2 is absurd. If there weren’t button combos (ie. double/quadshotting) then BR fights would be pretty dull. Its pretty hard to miss in Halo 2 when you don’t have to worry about the glitches.

Also, to the people saying “people will just used macro’d controllers” - They can if they want, but 343 have ways of catching those macros I’m pretty sure. If it gets too out of hand then I’m sure they can just remove the glitches later on.

Just my opinion.

Overall, I’m seeing much more butthurt over the button combinations than not. I also take it that MANY of you have never played Halo 2 back in the day when it was released. If you did, you would know and understand that there were only an EXTREMELY small, and I’m talking small, population out of the thousands (millions?) of individuals who used it. I could remember only a handful of games where I played people who were either modders or very good at glitches/combos out of the thousands of games I’ve played. Literally. The reason it became such a HUGE focal point was the coverage for it. In tournaments. On YouTube videos. Forums like this…It’s a non-issue fellas. Those of you who can perform them flawless will be paired with others who will perform them flawlessly once the ranking system solidifies where you belong. I won’t be one of them because I choose not to use it.

However, there’s a simple solution guys and gals.

GIT GUD

> How would it violate the code of conduct?

Do not exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches.

Overall I don’t care that they’re coming back because you will not have Halo 2.

I just don’t want see them in feature Halo games.

> > The button glitches were the only reason Halo 2 was so good competitively. The BxR and double shot raised the individual skill gap pretty significantly.
>
> So take it I can expect infinite ammo then on Halo 1, exploiting superjumps to get outside the barrier walls on headlong, turf, etc with the flag/bomb on Halo 2. And people macro’ing quadshooting to their custom controllers for insta-kills in halo 2 once you achieve a high rank?
>
> I remember double/quadshooting and superjumps, BXR etc as well, many used it to grief or exploit others. I never knew anyone rank 35 or higher (other than MLG fans) who felt it “skillful”. Heck most of us bridged host just to avoid half the mess of the game. Nostalgia is a crazy drug I suppose, seems things that made people livid in the past are now a welcomed addition.

What?

-I never played Halo CE multiplayer so I’m not sure what you are talking about when you mention infinite ammo, but that has nothing to do with button glitches.

-Obviously super jumping and glitching your way outside of maps is a poor mechanic, which is why it has always been forbidden in competitive tournament play.

-Custom controllers may become an issue, but a few posts demonstrating their capabilities on the Beyond Entertainment forums show that Scuf controllers won’t have the enormous impact that everyone is worrying about. It gives the same slight advantage as learning to claw when you play.

-There is next to no one who understands Halo 2 on a fundamental level and would consider the button glitches a “mess”.

If it wasn’t for the BxR and double shot the first player to shoot or punch during an individual battle would win almost every time because Halo 2 had ridiculous amounts of auto-aim.

> > How would it violate the code of conduct?
>
> Do not exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches.
>
> http://www.xbox.com/en-US//Legal/codeofconduct
>
>
>
> Overall I don’t care that they’re coming back because you will not have Halo 2.
>
> I just don’t want see them in feature Halo games.

When you bring them back on purpose, like 343i is doing, then it wouldn’t be considered exploiting glitches as they are intended to be there.

It violated the Code of Conduct in Halo 2’s time, but it does not for the Collection.

> > > How would it violate the code of conduct?
> >
> > Do not exploit game vulnerabilities or glitches.
> >
> > http://www.xbox.com/en-US//Legal/codeofconduct
> >
> >
> >
> > Overall I don’t care that they’re coming back because you will not have Halo 2.
> >
> > I just don’t want see them in feature Halo games.
>
> When you bring them back on purpose, like 343i is doing, then it wouldn’t be considered exploiting glitches as they are intended to be there.
>
> It violated the Code of Conduct in Halo 2’s time, but it does not for the Collection.

Exactly this, unintentional for Halo 2 but not for MCC.

Plus I’ve always wanted to experience this sorta thing myself and I never had the chance to. So basically the “it’s against the rules” argument doesn’t apply here.

> If you did, you would know and understand that there were only an EXTREMELY small, and I’m talking small, population out of the thousands (millions?) of individuals who used it.

Ghandi a former Halo 2/3 Halo 3 MLG pro on his youtube channel explained how the button glitches will be less prevalent in MC Collection as well since the new button layouts make them not as intuitive to do.

I’ll be using bumper jumper so button glitches won’t be as easy to do which I don’t care. I’d rather use my favorite control scheme I am used to than doing a button combo.

People need to stop worrying about something that the masses probably won’t use or care to use. If anything they will only happen in very high level skill matches and even then most may not be able to use them easily with the new button layouts and such.