Why Am I So Inconsistent?

In every Halo that I’ve played, I feel like I have always been pretty good and stayed that way except for a game or two, here and there.

Now with Halo 4, I go through weeks where I average 35 kills/game and anywhere between five and 10 deaths/game. I feel like I’m making my shots on target and where I want to hit them.

And other times I go through another long period of time where I average maybe 10-13 kills/game and feel like I can’t hit the side of a barn.

I would, kind of, like to know if it happens to others too or if it’s just me. I would also like to have any insight as to why this keeps happening.

I’ve been suffering the same thing as of lately, actually.

Is it possible that you are just not as good as you used to be? It sucks but it happens to everyone eventually. Look at Pro players like Walshy. In Halo 2 he was a monster… In Halo 4, he is alright.

A lot of times it’s because of other players. I tried rumble pit today and was matched up against much better players from countries outside of North America. So skill and their lag destroyed me. I’ll play again and maybe I’ll do better. It goes up and down.

> Is it possible that you are just not as good as you used to be? It sucks but it happens to everyone eventually. Look at Pro players like Walshy. In Halo 2 he was a monster… In Halo 4, he is alright.

I’ve wondered that myself. I decided to go back and play Halo Reach and Halo 3 again. I found that I play better than I remember when they first came out. It might be the people that I play with. Although with Halo 3, you get matched with those of similar skill to you so that can’t be it. I think it might be the kill times in Halo 4. They are too slow for how fast 343 wants you to play the game.

Edit: I also notice that most of the time, when I do feel that I’m doing badly, I will get the first four shots on target and then miss the last one over and over. It’s also worth mentioning that I primarily use the Battle Rifle. Perhaps it’s just that that weapon just needs to be a four shot kill.

Me too, exact same boat. Every now and again I will get trashed during a game or multiple games in a row where nothing I do works, especially in team slayer and its happening more frequently. If that isn’t what happens then I usually place 1st on my team, there seemingly is no middle ground for me

I’ve always felt I was an above average player and when I do well I reflect that. Never close to pro good but above average certainly, ever since CE. Never had this problem with previous halos I don’t get it. (Not new to halo 4 either, been playing since laucnh)

> In every Halo that I’ve played, I feel like I have always been pretty good and stayed that way except for a game or two, here and there.
>
> Now with Halo 4, I go through weeks where I average 35 kills/game and anywhere between five and 10 deaths/game. I feel like I’m making my shots on target and where I want to hit them.
>
> And other times I go through another long period of time where I average maybe 10-13 kills/game and feel like I can’t hit the side of a barn.
>
> I would, kind of, like to know if it happens to others too or if it’s just me. I would also like to have any insight as to why this keeps happening.

What decides how many kills you get is obviously the skill level of the players you are playing against but also, how you feel. For example, if it is too hot inside your room and you start sweating, you will play worse. When sweating you won’t get a proper grip on the controllers analog sticks, and you will have problems concentrating because of the heat. There are many other things like the light in your room, how far or close you are to your TV, the time of the day etc. Are you tired?

Playing against people living far away from you also interferes with the “kills”. Online gaming is very connection based.

> > In every Halo that I’ve played, I feel like I have always been pretty good and stayed that way except for a game or two, here and there.
> >
> > Now with Halo 4, I go through weeks where I average 35 kills/game and anywhere between five and 10 deaths/game. I feel like I’m making my shots on target and where I want to hit them.
> >
> > And other times I go through another long period of time where I average maybe 10-13 kills/game and feel like I can’t hit the side of a barn.
> >
> > I would, kind of, like to know if it happens to others too or if it’s just me. I would also like to have any insight as to why this keeps happening.
>
> What decides how many kills you get is obviously the skill level of the players you are playing against but also, how you feel. For example, if it is too hot inside your room and you start sweating, you will play worse.

That is a good possibility. But why would I get matched up with horrible players one week, and pro (exaggeration) players the next?

> > Is it possible that you are just not as good as you used to be? It sucks but it happens to everyone eventually. Look at Pro players like Walshy. In Halo 2 he was a monster… In Halo 4, he is alright.
>
> I’ve wondered that myself. I decided to go back and play Halo Reach and Halo 3 again. I found that I play better than I remember when they first came out. It might be the people that I play with. Although with Halo 3, you get matched with those of similar skill to you so that can’t be it. I think it might be the kill times in Halo 4. They are too slow for how fast 343 wants you to play the game.

See I find Halo 4 a little harder than previous titles because before I always had a good group of guys to play with. Now I am often playing as a lone wolf or with my gf, so my over-all performance is lacking. Also being in college now, when I wasn’t in Halo 3 makes a huge difference in my attitude toward the game. Somehow I used to care a lot more about wins.

I think a good part of skill across every Halo game depends a lot on mental growth. Remember, we are all constantly growing, and the way we think in Halo 4 might not be the same as the way we thought in Halo 3 six years ago.

> > > Is it possible that you are just not as good as you used to be? It sucks but it happens to everyone eventually. Look at Pro players like Walshy. In Halo 2 he was a monster… In Halo 4, he is alright.
> >
> > I’ve wondered that myself. I decided to go back and play Halo Reach and Halo 3 again. I found that I play better than I remember when they first came out. It might be the people that I play with. Although with Halo 3, you get matched with those of similar skill to you so that can’t be it. I think it might be the kill times in Halo 4. They are too slow for how fast 343 wants you to play the game.
>
> See I find Halo 4 a little harder than previous titles because before I always had a good group of guys to play with. Now I am often playing as a lone wolf or with my gf, so my over-all performance is lacking. Also being in college now, when I wasn’t in Halo 3 makes a huge difference in my attitude toward the game. Somehow I used to care a lot more about wins.
>
> I think a good part of skill across every Halo game depends a lot on mental growth. Remember, we are all constantly growing, and the way we think in Halo 4 might not be the same as the way we thought in Halo 3 six years ago.

Possibly!

I thought I was the only one who suffered from this. Thankfully, I guess I’m not alone! :slight_smile:

same here…but normally is about my team or the other team

if my team knows how to deal with the other enemys cuz they have experience playing or is balanced, normally im the 1st in all the match or a top 3

but if my team is less good or something i used to become a ‘‘sacrificial spartan’’

normally taking down enemy vehicles health or the whole vehicle with me or the players with power weapons, finishing with a very close K/D like 3 or 1 or even the same amount in both sides

It could be the weapon tuning. You said you use the BR, right? I think one of the bulletins said when they made the BR 4sk, they lowered the aim assist. There’s other tuning elements involved as well, but I don’t know the details. I use the BR too and I’ve been having the same problem, I’d land all of my shots, but as soon as I try to get that last headshot, I miss all of them. This started happening since last week or so. I don’t like to blame things, but if everyone’s having the exact same problem, I think it may be the weapon tuning

> > Is it possible that you are just not as good as you used to be? It sucks but it happens to everyone eventually. Look at Pro players like Walshy. In Halo 2 he was a monster… In Halo 4, he is alright.
>
> I’ve wondered that myself. I decided to go back and play Halo Reach and Halo 3 again. I found that I play better than I remember when they first came out. It might be the people that I play with. Although with Halo 3, you get matched with those of similar skill to you so that can’t be it. I think it might be the kill times in Halo 4. They are too slow for how fast 343 wants you to play the game.
>
> <mark>Edit: I also notice that most of the time, when I do feel that I’m doing badly, I will get the first four shots on target and then miss the last one over and over.</mark> It’s also worth mentioning that I primarily use the Battle Rifle. Perhaps it’s just that that weapon just needs to be a four shot kill.

That it is often a reaction that comes when you are nervous. Are you nervous, and having any thoughts of anxiety associated to them? For example, many years ago, when I wasn’t as good at Halo as I am now, I always got scared of meeting 50s in Halo 3, and played extra bad because of that. My aim spun three times around them at least, before I managed to hit them once and then die.

You’re not inconsistent the game itself is

Halo 4 is the epitome of random so it’s no wonder you and many others including myself get varied random results

Ordinance is random
Instant respawn is random
JIP is random

Now couple those things with bad net coding resulting in terribad laggy games a broken lag compensation system lack of a good/local search option a broken true skill matchmaking and presto
Inconstancy all around

It might be due to CSR’s inconsistency with matching people up with equal rank. So sometimes you’ll be matched up with less skilled players and sometimes you’ll be matched with really good players.
I’ve noticed the same problem with how I’ve been playing lately OP.

> > > In every Halo that I’ve played, I feel like I have always been pretty good and stayed that way except for a game or two, here and there.
> > >
> > > Now with Halo 4, I go through weeks where I average 35 kills/game and anywhere between five and 10 deaths/game. I feel like I’m making my shots on target and where I want to hit them.
> > >
> > > And other times I go through another long period of time where I average maybe 10-13 kills/game and feel like I can’t hit the side of a barn.
> > >
> > > I would, kind of, like to know if it happens to others too or if it’s just me. I would also like to have any insight as to why this keeps happening.
> >
> > What decides how many kills you get is obviously the skill level of the players you are playing against but also, how you feel. For example, if it is too hot inside your room and you start sweating, you will play worse.
>
> That is a good possibility. But why would I get matched up with horrible players one week, and pro (exaggeration) players the next?

I believe it is random, but it probably doesn’t feel like it because we humans are easily influenced (by negative and positive/You lose and win) which leads us to an overstatement.

We will for example forget all the good things that have happened to us in one day, if there happens on bad thing.

> > > > In every Halo that I’ve played, I feel like I have always been pretty good and stayed that way except for a game or two, here and there.
> > > >
> > > > Now with Halo 4, I go through weeks where I average 35 kills/game and anywhere between five and 10 deaths/game. I feel like I’m making my shots on target and where I want to hit them.
> > > >
> > > > And other times I go through another long period of time where I average maybe 10-13 kills/game and feel like I can’t hit the side of a barn.
> > > >
> > > > I would, kind of, like to know if it happens to others too or if it’s just me. I would also like to have any insight as to why this keeps happening.
> > >
> > > What decides how many kills you get is obviously the skill level of the players you are playing against but also, how you feel. For example, if it is too hot inside your room and you start sweating, you will play worse.
> >
> > That is a good possibility. But why would I get matched up with horrible players one week, and pro (exaggeration) players the next?
>
> I believe it is random, but it probably doesn’t feel like it because we humans are easily influenced (by negative and positive/You lose and win) which leads us to an overstatement.
>
> We will for example forget all the good things that have happened to us in one day, if there happens on bad thing.

If you look at my friend you can see that he gets about the same K/D every day he plays: http://www.halotracker.com/H4/ic%20y%20r%20u%20z

I take it many of you haven’t had the pleasure of dealing with lag?

when u go 35+, youre probably getting ordnance drops that other teams dont get and constantly outmatch their weapon availability, and/or youre playing on a host thats within your close proximity, or you are host. and playing horrible bad kids, because CSR doesnt work.

When you go 13 kills, the other team probably got craploads of stupid ordnance drops and you can never challenge it, or the host is on the other side of the continent/in a whole different continent entirely, and your shots miss completely. And youre probably playing people who know how to play halo/use halo4s anti-death mechanics to constantly get away.

I was 7-0 a few hours ago in infinity slayer, and then die to beam rifle, beam rifle, beam rifle, shotgun, stickydet, then end with a killing spree to finish 12-5. its funny how only kids with ordnance drops manage to get any kills nowadays against me. guess that means i need to “get better”… :-?

Then the next few games, every other shot just plain misses if theyre rounding a corner or jumping down a hole. If i cared enough to make videos out of it, i could make 5 minutes of non-registering shots clips for every 2 hours i play. if it were halo 2/3/reach, itd be 15 minutes worth, so at least its an improvement.

So when you get someone who just ducks in an out of obstacles for 15 minutes, chances are all your shots arent hitting them because they strafe faster than your internet. You might not realize it, charge thinking you have the kid 2 shot, when hes really got 3/4 shield, and u get stomped.

If the problem is entirely on your end, just aiming improperly, then its time to take a break. I tell people that the best way to really “get good” at a game, from a “bad kid” level, is to just play constantly for a very very long period of time (i did 24 hr marathons with Halo CE, Smash Bros, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark). This makes people better without really noticing, because theyre turning their movements and abilities into a sort of instinctual reaction, and ingraining it. Unfortunately, with Halo 4, and huge map sizes, you constantly run into scenarios where the guns perform different depending on distance, which if never kept at a consistent level, makes your body and reactions mess up. you might get really used to big team and shooting things cross map, then meet someone up close in abandon slayer and get smacked, because its so different than what youre used to. I guess from that point on, its about realizing that they do act so differently, and compensating on the fly. Playing wrongly for a long time makes you worse, so breaks can be needed.

I will say, that when i have my fill of halos crap and quit for 6 months, when i come back, im usually better than i was when i left because i forgot about all the garbage bullcrap that always happens, and rely entirely on what my body was used to doing. Its really the only reason i play Halo 4 right now at all. I hate the bloody game, but im so good with 11 yrs experience that I still win nearly every game when i have a team, and it makes it borderline enjoyable.

Had my fill today already though, so im rocking some Happy Wars