Why am I playing Onyx players in the qualifiers?

These guys were good. I’m not bashing on them, but this was only my 3 match in qualifying games and I got destroyed. I ended the game 8-19. Which actually surprises me because I was at one point 2-15.

I have only ever been in onxy once, and that was season 1 swat when everything about ranks was messed up. I’ve never been onxy in FFA
Preseason: played 7 games
Jan: 2 games
Feb: 1 game
March: 0 games

Honestly my average rank is between high platinum and low diamond. So why am I am being paired against onxy players and just getting destroyed. The game is fun, Having me play people that are considerably better than me is not. I thought that was the ranks were. To prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Post game stats.

Edit: So I guess the game thought I was doing well? o.O Not only did I run into more Onyx players, I started running into champion players. My k/d after 10 games is a respectable 0.85, and I won a grand total of 0 of my ten games.

What frustrated me the most wasn’t so much I played better players. It’s that the system they had That was supposed to “ping pong” me into the area that I fit in didn’t do that. Not only did it not do that, It gave me better and better players. I don’t need better players. I need to face players like me. Sure I won’t improve as fast as playing people far better than me. But I want to enjoy this game, and this is frustrating to say the least.

Maybe because you won your 2 previous games?

Yea I agree. Qualifiers should only be paired up against other qualifiers.

Whoever thought putting ranked against qualifiers was a good idea needs to rethink that idea.

It takes your previous month’s progress into account when doing your warm up games.

Yeah, I checked waypoint after a particularly bad slayer placement match just for giggles and found, of those on the other team, 2 were onyx, 1 was a double digit champion, and the last player was a new guy who was just happy to be there. I can appreciate that they want to keep their players normally distributed, and I think everyone else should appreciate the sentiment as well given how common “fake 50s” were in Halo 3, but why in God’s name am I playing a champion when I’ve never placed above diamond?

It takes your previous month’s progress into account when doing your warm up games.

> 2533274826620251;6:
> It takes your previous month’s progress into account when doing your warm up games.

But my previous months I haven’t placed, nor have I ever done particularly well

> 2533274885566464;2:
> Maybe because you won your 2 previous games?

Out of my 12 games I’ve played till that point, I had only ever won 3 games. I’m pushing to get placed in FFA because I want to see my rank, and I feel it will help get me placed against my level players.

> 2533274865607515;1:
> These guys were good. I’m not bashing on them, but this was only my 3 match in qualifying games and I got destroyed. I ended the game 8-19. Which actually surprises me because I was at one point 2-15.
>
> I have only ever been in onxy once, and that was season 1 swat when everything about ranks was messed up. I’ve never been onxy in FFA
> Preseason: played 7 games
> Jan: 2 games
> Feb: 1 game
> March: 0 games
>
> Honestly my average rank is between high platinum and low diamond. So why am I am being paired against onxy players and just getting destroyed. The game is fun, Having me play people that are considerably better than me is not. I thought that was the ranks were. To prevent this kind of thing from happening.
>
> Post game stats.

Depends on the playlist for me - as someone who also belongs in high plat / low diamond even when i’m already placed im getting matched against people who are onyx and even champion on multiple occasions. There aren’t that many people in the higher ranks so the rank band it places you in if you belong around high plat / diamond will include a lot of onyx guys. I personally quite enjoy the challenge although i get destroyed more often than not.

Placement games don’t really matter anyway - I had the worst placements of my life in swat this season due to bad luck and playing like garbage (won 2/10) and placed in silver 6, it took me virtually no time at all to climb to plat 3 and i’m still going up.

Same Problem even when I get ranked in gold still get put up against onyx…

> 2533274865607515;7:
> > 2533274826620251;6:
> > It takes your previous month’s progress into account when doing your warm up games.
>
>
> But my previous months I haven’t placed, nor have I ever done particularly well

This is why. You have never placed, so to accurately (lol) place you it is going to throw you against everyone and see how you do. The first placements are more like ping pong than anything else. Don’t worry though, even if you lose to Onyx players it will then place you agaonst Silver/Golds, if you do well there it will place you against Platinum Diamonds and then fine tune it to a division within whatever tier it thinks you are in. When you get to your last three games check the ranks of the people you have played against and that will give you an ok idea of where you are headed.

> 2533274823519895;5:
> Yeah, I checked waypoint after a particularly bad slayer placement match just for giggles and found, of those on the other team, 2 were onyx, 1 was a double digit champion, and the last player was a new guy who was just happy to be there. I can appreciate that they want to keep their players normally distributed, and I think everyone else should appreciate the sentiment as well given how common “fake 50s” were in Halo 3, but why in God’s name am I playing a champion when I’ve never placed above diamond?

They were most likely a pre-made team and, with the way the system is right now, it kind of sees diamonds and onyx players as the same. So if the team has Onyx players on it, you were the unlucky -Yoink- who was forced to play against them due to that one unranked fellow, which balanced out the champion.

> 2533274810191683;11:
> > 2533274865607515;7:
> > > 2533274826620251;6:
> > > It takes your previous month’s progress into account when doing your warm up games.
> >
> >
> > But my previous months I haven’t placed, nor have I ever done particularly well
>
>
> This is why. You have never placed, so to accurately (lol) place you it is going to throw you against everyone and see how you do. The first placements are more like ping pong than anything else. Don’t worry though, even if you lose to Onyx players it will then place you agaonst Silver/Golds, if you do well there it will place you against Platinum Diamonds and then fine tune it to a division within whatever tier it thinks you are in. When you get to your last three games check the ranks of the people you have played against and that will give you an ok idea of where you are headed.

It didn’t though… It started pairing me up against Champion players. My games got worse…

> 2533274852660538;3:
> Yea I agree. Qualifiers should only be paired up against other qualifiers.
>
> Whoever thought putting ranked against qualifiers was a good idea needs to rethink that idea.

AGREED!! The terrible ranking starts with qualifying and typically gets worse from there. Best solution I can see is no qualifying/seasons. If it’s here to stay then SEPARATE ranked and qualifying players!!!

This is how these people get so highly ranked! I could never be proud of myself if I were a “champion” knowing that was in large part due to being paired with easy kills. Ridiculous.