Why Achilles Isn't Worth Grinding For Anymore

Ok, I made a topic explaining why it isn’t worth trying to get Helioskrill anymore:
(https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/helioskrill-shouldn-t-be-in-a-req-pack/456b6536-1554-447d-83ef-d50789fcb5e6/posts)
I felt like this was worth addressing too. After all the people who put countless hours of their life into grinding for Helioskrill, to find out 343i brought it into Halo 5’s REQ Pool, meaning anyone would get it, including the n00bs who think; “Well if I got this, I must be a god at Halo!” then rush the team of 12 in Warzone, to end up dead, screaming; “HAXER! YOU KILLED ME WITH HELIOSKRILL! HAXER!” You know those people? Anyhow, it might get worse. I read a comment on the “Helioskrill shouldn’t be in a REQ pack” topic, and the comment from Nalla78 says; “And, if I recall correctly, prior to launch, 343 said that everything would eventually be made unlockable through REQ packs, including Helioskril.”

This is pretty upsetting to be honest. There are people who grinding for hours upon hours to get Achilles, and that might be thrown out the window if everything is added to the REQ pool. If it isn’t, then that’s a GOOD thing. I understand the people want to show talent, but if this does happen, and everything is added to the REQ pool, then there is no reason to grind for Achilles. What is everyone’s thoughts on this, and should Achilles be added to the REQ pool?
- THE500THWARLOCK

I’m all for keeping items exclusive so I really hope they don’t eventually add everything to packs. I’d like to see the source of that quote though since I don’t remember them saying anything like that.

343i, the devs who awarded the most sought after armor in FPS history to everyone upon taking over the franchise, put their own difficult to earn armor into their micro-transaction system, completely ignoring the time and effort previously expended by players to earn it? <strong>audible gasp</strong>

Player achievement doesn’t mean diddly squat in a progression system that is based around micro-transactions…I think Battlefront 2 has made this point painfully obvious by now (though admittedly that game was far more egregious). This is the biggest argument against this kind of system, but no-one in Halo’s current fan-base cares, apparently.

To answer the OP however; no, there is no point in grinding it out if the armor is “going to be added anyway”, because any sense of pride and achievement will be undermined the second someone else can shell out cash for it.

My guess if they did release it would be after H6 is out so that could potentially be two years from now. I think it would still be worth trying to get it.

I think this is a good thing, for one reason. First of all i just want to clarify i am completely against the req system. But you see in halo 3 there was the hayabusa, you unlocked it from unlocking all achievements. That’s not too hard, you could probably do it in a month or even a week. But with achilles you have to grind for about a year before you can unlock achilles. And because of this it seems to make people want it more and so many people are obsessed with it. When i wanted to join a company i went to the recruiting forums and 99% of them are saying “we need people to help get achilles”. I don’t have achilles and I’m fine. This is an unhealthy obsession and they need to go back to unlocking special armor through achievements.

> 2533274900668879;3:
> 343i, the people who awarded the most sought after armor in FPS history to everyone upon taking over the franchise, put their own difficult to earn armor into their micro-transaction system, completely ignoring the time and effort previously expended by players to earn it? <strong>audible gasp</strong>Player achievement doesn’t mean diddly squat in a progression system that is based around micro-transactions…I think Battlefront 2 has made this point painfully obvious by now (though admittedly that game was far more egregious). This is the biggest argument against this kind of system, but no-one in Halo’s current fan-base cares, apparently.
>
> To answer the OP however; no, there is no point in grinding it out if the armor is “going to be added anyway”, because any sense of pride and achievement will be undermined the second someone else can shell out cash for it.

Yes, exactly. Plus, there are plenty of noob Spartan Companies which name is “We Need Achilles” or something, and then as soon as the 100 noobs end up getting the armor after 343i adds Achilles to the REQ pool, it’s worth even less than it already was, plus the people thinking they are gods because they are introverts with no life outside of gaming, And spend 6 months grinding to get 500 “from the grave” medals, it just shows How little the gear means anymore.

After they put Helioskrill in the req system and then pretty much gave out the sticker shock skins I hope they do put Achilles in the req system or some sort of pack. They ruined the other earned or exclusive items why not ruin Achilles as well?

If Achilles was added to the REQ pool as a standard item, it’d be the biggest slap in the face to those who legitimately worked for months (or even a year) towards the set. Getting the Achilles helmet is one of the few things that keeps me going, although a 2 year-old game with tedious commendations is really starting to burn me out.

The Achilles kinda lost it’s value anyway due to the fact of noob companies grinding

> 2535415086643843;9:
> The Achilles kinda lost it’s value anyway due to the fact of noob companies grinding

An entire other reason in one small sentence.

> 2535420568109893;5:
> But you see in halo 3 there was the hayabusa, you unlocked it from unlocking all achievements.

Nah, you’re thinking Security. Hayabusa was finding all the skulls in Campaign.

On topic, I don’t really think it was ever worth investing that much time into, to be perfectly honest. The armor itself doesn’t look that good IMO, and the status it took as of late is a deformity and twisted version of either what it once was or what it was intended to be, which is a symbol that you worked towards, now meaning you pushed over everyone else to get it. Either way, I don’t see them adding it in packs eventually, either. After this last update, I think they’re kinda done with 5 other than HCS and playlist refreshes. Sure, that means that the point about being able to unlock everything with packs is rendered moot, but to be fair it was already moot with the introduction of such things as Athlon Champion, Challenger, the HCS skins, Olive, Timmy, etc. I don’t see Achilles being an exception.

> 2533274816788253;7:
> After they put Helioskrill in the req system and then pretty much gave out the sticker shock skins I hope they do put Achilles in the req system or some sort of pack. They ruined the other earned or exclusive items why not ruin Achilles as well?

At this point, you wonder what ISN’T in the REQ pool anymore. It’s not just Helioskrill or Achilles That’s irritating, it’s also the Sticker Shock and the Nightfall armor, which was only obtained by watching the Nightfall series, which was $15. It was annoying enough to watch a decent series for a piece of armor, but for the people who actually bought it (I got it free with MCC) they just wasted $15 on something in the REQ pool now. It’s the Same with Achilles and Helioskrill, hours upon hours of your life spend getting something you could randomly get from a daily REQ pack. I really just want to know what 343i was thinking?

If they added Achilles to the Req Pool huh, This would be me the next day… if they added it

> 2535429593088083;8:
> If Achilles was added to the REQ pool as a standard item, it’d be the biggest slap in the face to those who legitimately worked for months (or even a year) towards the set. Getting the Achilles helmet is one of the few things that keeps me going, although a 2 year-old game with tedious commendations is really starting to burn me out.

Hey if those of us who earned Helioskrill can take one to the chops then those who have Achilles can :slightly_smiling_face:

> 2535434983195984;6:
> > 2533274900668879;3:
> > 343i, the people who awarded the most sought after armor in FPS history to everyone upon taking over the franchise, put their own difficult to earn armor into their micro-transaction system, completely ignoring the time and effort previously expended by players to earn it? <strong>audible gasp</strong>Player achievement doesn’t mean diddly squat in a progression system that is based around micro-transactions…I think Battlefront 2 has made this point painfully obvious by now (though admittedly that game was far more egregious). This is the biggest argument against this kind of system, but no-one in Halo’s current fan-base cares, apparently.
> >
> > To answer the OP however; no, there is no point in grinding it out if the armor is “going to be added anyway”, because any sense of pride and achievement will be undermined the second someone else can shell out cash for it.
>
> Yes, exactly. Plus, there are plenty of noob Spartan Companies which name is “We Need Achilles” or something, and then as soon as the 100 noobs end up getting the armor after 343i adds Achilles to the REQ pool, it’s worth even less than it already was, plus the people thinking they are gods because they are introverts with no life outside of gaming, And spend 6 months grinding to get 500 “from the grave” medals, it just shows How little the gear means anymore.

I mean, I’m not gonna judge people for taking pride and wanting to show of their achievement, and definitely not for investing a lot of time into a game (otherwise I’d be quite the hypocrite), but what I have a problem with is the blatant attempt to recapture the ‘Recon Phenomenon’; not by building up a sense of mystique and importance, and making it incredibly difficult to achieve on a player skill basis, but by arbitrarily assigning the armor value by making it the only set you can actually earn, and making it a time-sync to boot.

This manifests in the behaviour you’re talking about, where, instead of players reaching out and cooperating through insane challenges like ‘Annual’, ‘Endure’ and ‘Deja Vu’, you have these Spartan Companies that are laser focused on this one, multiplayer based goal, which inevitably ends up promoting an unwelcoming, even elitist mentality (which is only exacerbated by the game’s competitive focus).
The fact that it was added to the REQ pool just adds insult to injury, as far as I’m concerned.

> 2535434983195984;1:
> After all the people who put countless hours of their life into grinding for Helioskrill

Halo CE and 2 were in my opinion the hardest part of this and its not upsetting to me since people could use the Bandana Skull (unlimited ammo) in CE and it and the Scarab Skull in 2 to get it. I believe they may have patched it at some point but thats how i got it, otherwise i wouldnt have lol

> 2535434983195984;1:
> This is pretty upsetting to be honest. There are people who grinding for hours upon hours to get Achilles, and that might be thrown out the window if everything is added to the REQ pool. If it isn’t, then that’s a GOOD thing. I understand the people want to show talent, but if this does happen, and everything is added to the REQ pool, then there is no reason to grind for Achilles. What is everyone’s thoughts on this, and should Achilles be added to the REQ pool?
> - THE500THWARLOCK

Sure it’s not worth it anymore, it’s just this entire game has become a farming for certain items, to this day I’ve know barely anyone that is impressed if someone get’s any specific armour because it’s luck based, nobody has earned anything anymore, it’s the same thing with Achiles, all it does is tell people that someone wasted endless hours trying to focus their time on farming certain commendations, basically unlocking anything these days feels like a chore. The only reason why I bother with Spartan Company’s is to get this for completionist reasons, I’m sure when I get the full set…I might show it off 1 time to friend then never wear it ever again because honestly I don’t think that armour looks that good but that’s the thing I don’t think anyone I know cares because the armour wasn’t achieved by any fun social aspects like Vidmasters did with Bungie.

Still people wingeing over the helioscrill :ok_hand:

Fix the mcc mcc and maybe people would tolerate it being an exclusive to that game. Kind of ridiculous to even expect people to play 4 broken campaigns for one armor and then “hope” it even unlocks if the game won’t register it.

Furthermore as someone one who despises exclusives anyways I won’t have an issue. They said it’d be a time exclusive anyways, that means you had your extra time to show it off while others waited, seems generous enough to me as if I had it my way there’d be no exclusives, everyone gets it.

something doesn’t lose value over its loss of exclusivtivity either. If I’m the first one to get it then that isn’t taken away, If I’m one of the first 50 to get it, that isn’t taken away, If I played my way for it then that isn’t taken away. All I see is a bunch of greedy people who don’t value achievements by simply doing them, no, instead it has to be exclusive to them and no one else.

It’s going to be just like the recon helmet in halo 3 I bet. Achilles will probably get added to the req pool when Halo 6 launches, or shortly after words.

Honestly it’s probably a good idea on 343s side. Because there are so many more players who don’t have the helmet, than players who do, there will be way more people happy about it going into the req pool than unhappy.

That’s not going to stop my grind though. I think my company is < 6 months until we unlock it :smiley:

It was never worth the armor in general was ugly and no one cares if you had it it just showed oh he probably farmed warzone.